CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

Well they announced that the loop BRT is going to be called Loop Link. Buses will have a "Via Loop Link" added to their destinations. I wonder if this is going to affect what runs on the #56, as would they install queue jump technology on an old bus?

They also announced the project will begin construction down on Clinton and western portions of Madison first, and will feature a prepaid boarding area at the Dearborn/Madison station. Also they want to start the bus terminal at Union station project in April. Both are by two different contractors FW Paschen for the Union Station Bus terminal and Capitol Cement for the BRT project. They also announced they will start demolition of Madison/Wabash "L" station March 16th with Wabash closing to traffic soon, I believe March 9th.

There will be no cameras installed for bus lane infractions, fines will be $90. It will be up to CPD to enforce it.

Here's the Link from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/hilkevitch/ct-loop-bus-rapid-transit-getting-around-met-0302-20150302-column.html#page=1

(It's a paid subscription link, but you can view it on an Android device, maybe IOS too I don't know)

• Upvote 1

Well they announced that the loop BRT is going to be called Loop Link. Buses will have a "Via Loop Link" added to their destinations. I wonder if this is going to affect what runs on the #56, as would they install queue jump technology on an old bus?

They also announced the project will begin construction down on Clinton and western portions of Madison first, and will feature a prepaid boarding area at Dearborn/Madison station. Also they want to start the bus terminal at Union station project in April. Both are by two different contractors FW Paschen for the Union Station Bus terminal and Capitol Cement for the BRT project. They also announced they will start demolition of Madison/Wabash "L" station March 16th with Wabash closing to traffic soon, I believe March 9th.

There will be no cameras installed for bus lane infractions, fines will be $90. It will be up to CPD to enforce it.

Here's the Link from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/hilkevitch/ct-loop-bus-rapid-transit-getting-around-met-0302-20150302-column.html#page=1

(It's a paid subscription link, but you can view it on an Android device, maybe IOS too I don't know)

Yeah I saw this through the CTA press release linked through the homepage. As you alluded to, Loop Link will be the name of the downtown BRT system as a whole and not that of any individual route. As for what might run on the 56, it's going to take them just about the rest of the year to get the project "substantially complete" with some work extending into next year, meaning it won't be totally complete until next year. By then, One would hope FG would either have some NFs to use, on the way to getting some 7900s, or both to start getting a good number of those FG 6400s retired.

• Upvote 3

I got to see how this works in front of Ogilvie, that is the double park capital!!

I've never been on a bus on Madison that stops at Clinton, where both the front & rear doors have been able to get to the curb.

It's rare enough for the front door to make it there.

I was on a J14 today that just got me there for the 10:35 North Line train, but he had to really squeeze through to get to the curb for the front door.

The taxi double parking there is out of control.

Yeah I saw this through the CTA press release linked through the homepage.....

I had passed on the Tribune article, figuring that nothing new was there, and the only thing new turns out to be the "Loop Link" branding.

Since you mentioned the Press Release, apparently da Mare's press corps must be getting desperate, as I don't see what BMO Harris Bank and LaQuinta Inns have anything to do with this. Also, the depiction of the Union Station TC doesn't have a Toronto streetcar this time around.

I've never been on a bus on Madison that stops at Clinton, where both the front & rear doors have been able to get to the curb.

It's rare enough for the front door to make it there.

I was on a J14 today that just got me there for the 10:35 North Line train, but he had to really squeeze through to get to the curb for the front door.

The taxi double parking there is out of control.

If this is as represented, they are going to have to provide a bus "station" for the station. However, not on the map, so maybe not.

Also, the depiction of Washington St. in the linked website might indicate the right turn crossover Kevin indicated (under what appears to be a pedestrian or sign bridge),

Looking at the pictures in the PDF, there is 2 shots of a XDE40 in CTA livery and a WMATA NABI 62-LFW. I know both of these especially since these are buses I ride on a daily (XDE40) and semi-infrequently (62-LFW). Why wouldn't they use their own buses instead? Notice in the first one you can see the swoosh in WMATA's new livery if you look at the right angle

post-1431-0-58053500-1425330645_thumb.pnpost-1431-0-83877700-1425330650_thumb.pnpost-1431-0-46137200-1425330655_thumb.pn

Looking at the pictures in the PDF, there is 2 shots of a XDE40 in CTA livery and a WMATA NABI 62-LFW. I know both of these especially since these are buses I ride on a daily (XDE40) and semi-infrequently (62-LFW). Why wouldn't they use their own buses instead? Notice in the first one you can see the swoosh in WMATA's new livery if you look at the right angle

attachicon.gifCapture.PNGattachicon.gifCapture3.PNGattachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

Because consultants (especially those retained by CDOT) don't worry about such details.

It least it wasn't like the renderings for the Loyola station plaza, with CTA buses that had been scrapped a couple of years earlier, or, as I noted above, a Toronto transit center.

If this is as represented, they are going to have to provide a bus "station" for the station. However, not on the map, so maybe not.

Also, the depiction of Washington St. in the linked website might indicate the right turn crossover Kevin indicated (under what appears to be a pedestrian or sign bridge),

I think that's actually the Loop elevated structure running above as looking west along Washington from what will be the LaSalle eastbound station. But that is a right turn lane at the Washington/Wells intersection and to the south of the Washington/Wells elevated station. From the picture, the right turn lanes will cross the paths of and then to the right of the protected bike lanes and be in the position a BRT station would be if that given intersection were a station location. Therefore bike and motor vehicular traffic would have to how caution at those right turn intersections.

I think that's actually the Loop elevated structure running above as looking west along Washington from what will be the LaSalle eastbound station. But that is a right turn lane at the Washington/Wells intersection and to the south of the Washington/Wells elevated station. From the picture, the right turn lanes will cross the paths of and then to the right of the protected bike lanes and be in the position a BRT station would be if that given intersection were a station location. Therefore bike and motor vehicular traffic would have to how caution at those right turn intersections.

Thanks for relieving my brain cramp on what was the bridge crossing the street.

To me, it looks like a car making a right turn would have to cross the bus lane at mid block, and then make a right turn across the bike (green) lane at the corner. As Kevin noted, there probably would be a separate bike signal at the corner, but he also seemed to think that there would be a right turn arrow signal midblock so that turning cars would not be T-boned while crossing the bus lane.

Update, and if that is LaSalle, which is a two way street, cars don't get a right turn there.

Thanks for relieving my brain cramp on what was the bridge crossing the street.

To me, it looks like a car making a right turn would have to cross the bus lane at mid block, and then make a right turn across the bike (green) lane at the corner. As Kevin noted, there probably would be a separate bike signal at the corner, but he also seemed to think that there would be a right turn arrow signal midblock so that turning cars would not be T-boned while crossing the bus lane.

Update, and if that is LaSalle, which is a two way street, cars don't get a right turn there.

No, that's LaSalle at the BRT station, but the right turn lane is at Wells since that would be seem to be the only location looking west from a BRT station along Washington to have a right lane intersection behind it passing under the elevated tracks.

• 1 month later...

While on the Purple Line Express this morning, I was able to see that workers working on the Loop Link Project on Madion near the Washington/Wells stop had materials ready in preparation for the start of laying the red pavement which will mark the bus lanes along the BRT-like corridors.

• 5 months later...

If you guys are interested they put up the canopy steel for the loop link stop at washington and franklin. Thought it would have more glass but maybe it's not done yet.

I've been noticing that they are making very noticeable progress along Washington when it comes to station construction.

Hilkevitch article on Loop Link today (may be paywall problems), but the main takeaway is that offboard fare collection is being delayed, due to fare evasion issues. Like I didn't mention that. Another fly in the ointment is that not all low floor buses have floors at the same height. I still don't see how they could avoid dropping the ramp unless the bus is supposed to scrape against the curb (similar issue to trains needing gap fillers).

Hilkevitch article on Loop Link today (may be paywall problems), but the main takeaway is that offboard fare collection is being delayed, due to fare evasion issues. Like I didn't mention that. Another fly in the ointment is that not all low floor buses have floors at the same height. I still don't see how they could avoid dropping the ramp unless the bus is supposed to scrape against the curb (similar issue to trains needing gap fillers).

I don't see #6400's being on the loop link. Either #56 will be ran out of another garage or Fg will get #1000's or #8200's to run exclusively on the #56. Not having floors of the same height is the same issue they face now and it hasn't hurt no one. I just hope the canopies can clear the buses. Some buses are tall like the #4300 hybrids or #800's possibly. If not I guess they'll be excluded.

I don't see #6400's being on the loop link. Either #56 will be ran out of another garage or Fg will get #1000's or #8200's to run exclusively on the #56. Not having floors of the same height is the same issue they face now and it hasn't hurt no one. I just hope the canopies can clear the buses. Some buses are tall like the #4300 hybrids or #800's possibly. If not I guess they'll be excluded.

Well don't forget, Loop Link won't be totally complete until possibly spring of next year anyway, so the part about the 56 being at another garage just because of this project is quite a leap. The loop link corridor portions of Madison and Washington should be able survive a few months of 6400s.xD And one would hope that even though this is a project headed by the city, CTA was consulted about bus heights. It would be rather stupid to start a project centered around bus movement and not get the heights of the tallest buses that operate that specific corridor. But with the quoted remark about the canopies being too high in that passenger's opinion, the buses clearing them may not be much of an issue.

Well don't forget, Loop Link won't be totally complete until possibly spring of next year anyway, so the part about the 56 being at another garage just because of this project is quite a leap. The loop link corridor portions of Madison and Washington should be able survive a few months of 6400s.xD And one would hope that even though this is a project headed by the city, CTA was consulted about bus heights. It would be rather stupid to start a project centered around bus movement and not get the heights of the tallest buses that operate that specific corridor. But with the quoted remark about the canopies being too high in that passenger's opinion, the buses clearing them may not be much of an issue.

The trib reports that loop link will be up and running "one day this year" so that's not next year and fg should still be all #6400's barring a miracle up until next May. Even then #6400's will continue to run unless they have the magic wand to replace 250 buses with 125. Now if they really didn't want #1000's at FG, the #8150's are coming later this year and 50 buses could easily run the #56, they could have a way to do it. It might sound paranoid or leaping, but is CTA ready for stalled out #6400's in the loop link lane? Plus it doesn't look good for the new service to have old equipment. Their really going to promote this with old equipment? That's not going to help the prospects of Ashland BRT.

I'm pretty sure that only the re-routed 124 is going to be branded as "Loop Link." The other routes just happen to be able to use the new bus lanes downtown. 

Honestly, Loop Link isn't some groundbreaking BRT project, it's just a couple of bus lanes with consolidated bus stops. 

HiThe trib reports that loop link will be up and running "one day this year" so that's not next year and fg should still be all #6400's barring a miracle up until next May. Even then #6400's will continue to run unless they have the magic wand to replace 250 buses with 125. Now if they really didn't want #1000's at FG, the #8150's are coming later this year and 50 buses could easily run the #56, they could have a way to do it. It might sound paranoid or leaping, but is CTA ready for stalled out #6400's in the loop link lane? Plus it doesn't look good for the new service to have old equipment. Their really going to promote this with old equipment? That's not going to help the prospects of Ashland BRT.

That might have been some pie in the sky goal they had in mind, but did you really think they were going to have things completed by year end looking at the progress made? Either way saying the completed corridor can't survive a few months of 6400s is still a huge leap. And Ashland BRT was and still is stuck in limbo regardless of what happens with this project. They are in la la land as long as they think they can just fork that on folks in the belief they can kill most of the left turns on Ashland from 95th to Irving Park especially when center lane BRT was done in Cleveland without killing left turns.

I'm pretty sure that only the re-routed 124 is going to be branded as "Loop Link." The other routes just happen to be able to use the new bus lanes downtown. 

Honestly, Loop Link isn't some groundbreaking BRT project, it's just a couple of bus lanes with consolidated bus stops. 

Loop Link doesn't refer to any one specific route. It's the name of the project as a whole. 

Loop Link doesn't refer to any one specific route. It's the name of the project as a whole. 

jajuan is correct. From what he found before, 124 will become the "Circulator." That is consistent with that this was a Circulator grant, not a BRT grant.

Their[sic[ really going to promote this with old equipment? That's not going to help the prospects of Ashland BRT.

• If there ever is an Ashland BRT, it will be with wrapped articulated buses. But, again, you and Tcmetro have to take in mind that this is what could be done with a $35 million grant, not the $160 million for the Ashland BRT proposal.
  • Basically, the only objective here is to get the 7 or so bus lines that use that corridor a little faster.

That might have been some pie in the sky goal they had in mind, but did you really think they were going to have things completed by year end looking at the progress made? Either way saying the completed corridor can't survive a few months of 6400s is still a huge leap. And Ashland BRT was and still is stuck in limbo regardless of what happens with this project. They are in la la land as long as they think they can just fork that on folks in the belief they can kill most of the left turns on Ashland from 95th to Irving Park especially when center lane BRT was done in Cleveland without killing left turns.

They have really gone gangbusters this week on the brt lite. They have put up canopies now at Madison/Franklin and Washington/Lasalle and they rough grooved Madison and oiled the street, a step before repaving. Looks like they want to get done for the most part by the end of construction season which is Nov. Looks like the canopies extend at least a foot over the buses so there shouldn't be any clearance issues. Someone was complaining about the winter with the canopies not giving adequate shelter versus a glass system, but there should be some glass by the bike lanes because how else would they enforce a paid fare system when they do implement it. I wonder who is going to shovel the platforms and how will the plows plow snow, they would have to push it in the opposite direction or no one could get on a bus. Are the platforms supposed to work so that buses can board along the entire platform? This will be interesting to watch when it gets finished.

... I wonder who is going to shovel the platforms and how will the plows plow snow, they would have to push it in the opposite direction or no one could get on a bus.....

That was essentially the problem with safety islands in he middle of Washington; the slush just got thrown on the passengers. I don't know if these platforms not being level with the street will have any effect one way or the other on the comparison.

.... Are the platforms supposed to work so that buses can board along the entire platform? This will be interesting to watch when it gets finished.

The platforms are supposed to serve 6 or 7 bus routes, so there has to be room to berth several buses. The question has to be whether there will be specific locations for specific routes (i.e. 60 at the east end, 20 on the west one) or people will have to scramble for buses. Some routes, such as 60 and 157 may be fungible if you are going to Union Station, not if you are going to Randolph-Columbus or Streeterville.

They have really gone gangbusters this week on the brt lite. They have put up canopies now at Madison/Franklin and Washington/Lasalle and they rough grooved Madison and oiled the street, a step before repaving. Looks like they want to get done for the most part by the end of construction season which is Nov. Looks like the canopies extend at least a foot over the buses so there shouldn't be any clearance issues. Someone was complaining about the winter with the canopies not giving adequate shelter versus a glass system, but there should be some glass by the bike lanes because how else would they enforce a paid fare system when they do implement it. I wonder who is going to shovel the platforms and how will the plows plow snow, they would have to push it in the opposite direction or no one could get on a bus. Are the platforms supposed to work so that buses can board along the entire platform? This will be interesting to watch when it gets finished.

Speaking of winter, I've noticed this morning that the edges surrounding the pedestrian/wheelchair inclines leading up the platforms near the curbs and just past the boarding areas appear kind of high compared to looking at them in concept drawings. It's going to be interesting seeing that effects snow removal when that time comes.

Speaking of winter, I've noticed this morning that the edges surrounding the pedestrian/wheelchair inclines leading up the platforms near the curbs and just past the boarding areas appear kind of high compared to looking at them in concept drawings. It's going to be interesting seeing that effects snow removal when that time comes.

That might be a function of the statement that not all low floors are the same height, causing a change in the plans.