CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

Well I got a couple of shots of the canopy at Washington/La Salle (the other one is actually at Washington/Franklin and not Madison by the way BH) along with the curb edgings at the platform entrances I was speaking about.

IMG_20150911_113345482.thumb.jpg.5c3be00

Platform entrance to Washington/LaSalle

IMG_20150911_113322033.thumb.jpg.eaf64c6

Washington/LaSalle canopy

IMG_20150911_113244264.thumb.jpg.eec0232

Washington/LaSalle canopy different view

Edited by jajuan
  • Upvote 1

Well I got a couple of shots of the canopy at Washington/La Salle (the other one is actually at Washington/Franklin and not Madison by the way BH) along with the curb edgings at the platform entrances I was speaking about.

No Jajuan they are actually in both stops at Franklin east and west Washington and Madison.

No Jajuan they are actually in both stops at Franklin east and west Washington and Madison.

I noticed the canopies on Washington. Maybe I just didn't notice anything on Madison because truth be told the operator on the 157 I was on going west was acting like a high strung psycho and I was focused more on her getting us to our respective destination in one piece with the messy weather. The irony with that was when we got to Taylor and Ashland, there was a nasty looking fender bender with Taylor blocked off by a couple of ambulances, a number of fire trucks and police cruisers. All of us were going to various spots in the UIC part of the medical district so she told us it was best to get off there at Ashland since it looked like the police was having all traffic off Taylor divert all the way to Harrison instead of Polk ( a couple of police cruisers could be seen at Polk making traffic keep straight). I gladly disembarked at Taylor and Ashland to walk that extra two blocks to where I needed to get given this operator's behavior at the wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone wants to check it out, they put the first glass panels in on the loop link at the Washington/Franklin stop. It's just 3 panels but it shows what it intends to look like. They are going to have a glass wall separating the back of those stations from the bike lane/pedestrian path. Maybe if I'm over there I'll take a picture.

If anyone wants to check it out, they put the first glass panels in on the loop link at the Washington/Franklin stop. It's just 3 panels but it shows what it intends to look like. They are going to have a glass wall separating the back of those stations from the bike lane/pedestrian path. Maybe if I'm over there I'll take a picture.

This is all I see. I did see one glass panel at Washington/LaSalle.

image.jpeg

Edited by garmon757

I noticed that they also have the repaving done pretty much on both Madison and Washington to the point that they look they are ready to start getting the lanes marked to their final configurations. When I passed Madison and State Friday evening I saw that they had the outlines marked on what's going to be the regular traffic right turn lane so that they can soon get that painted in soon and opened and the temporary right turn lane now in the future bus lane released to bus use. You could also see they had what will be the "BUSES ONLY" markings outlined on the red bus lane for this purpose. The same day I was able to get those shots of the station progress on Washington, the daylight made it possible to see through the canvass lining the construction barricades on Canal that they completed the concrete borders completed around what will be the bus driveways in the future Union Station Transit Center bus terminal. I'm curious as to how far they progressed beyond that point in the four weeks since.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clinton Street

IMG_0342.thumb.jpg.7213d2daa62a2911f2f25

Pavement markings complete. Bus lanes appear to be red thermoplastic rather than dyed concrete like on Madison and Washington.

LaSalle/Washington Station Progress

IMG_0388.thumb.jpg.444704c35d0965e063a6b

Note crack in roof glass pane.

IMG_0390.thumb.jpg.a608b039cf6e69f33654b

IMG_0394.thumb.jpg.24292f67f97bfc2480bd1

Granite platform tiles awaiting installation.

IMG_0396.thumb.jpg.709507cf3a2f7953c8cde

Bike lane raises to level of sidewalk/station.

IMG_0400.thumb.jpg.e09ecfdd86ce9e56f8b12

First glass panels installed.

IMG_0401.thumb.jpg.616289bbad18e5a3e55b6

IMG_0403.thumb.jpg.0e481d9b07d9b73edc340

• Upvote 3

Tribune is saying the X9 and X49 will start in December and will be rush hour only services.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-cta-2016-budget-met-1022-20151022-story.html

I also took note that the article says that Loop Link will "substantially completed" by year's end somewhat different than BusHunter's source for his conclusion that things will be totally finished. But that could still be a matter of semantics given we already saw reports that offboard fare payment infrastructure being delayed.

I also took note that the article says that Loop Link will "substantially completed" by year's end somewhat different than BusHunter's source for his conclusion that things will be totally finished. But that could still be a matter of semantics given we already saw reports that offboard fare payment infrastructure being delayed.

Probably also depends on whether the Union Station transit center counts.

Well substantially completed is as close as you can get to saying they are finished. I take that to mean they may just be doing punchlist work, the main construction will be over, the construction trucks and equipment will be gone and possibly they might be using the lanes or stations, but it might not be billed as brt lite just yet. I don't think they really want to go into snow season with fences everywhere and obstructed sidewalks. They are supposed to come back and do the Madison/Wabash brt stop later in the spring. They asphalted it though so it won't be a problem for snow season. I notice in Kevins shot, they are only painting the bus pads on Clinton not the entire right lane on the street. I don't think they'll be using the Union Station terminal yet until next Spring/Summer, so yes while it's done and usable it's not fully completed.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 2

Well substantially completed is as close as you can get to saying they are finished. I take that to mean they may just be doing punchlist work, the main construction will be over, the construction trucks and equipment will be gone and possibly they might be using the lanes or stations, but it might not be billed as brt lite just yet. I don't think they really want to go into snow season with fences everywhere and obstructed sidewalks. They are supposed to come back and do the Madison/Wabash brt stop later in the spring. They asphalted it though so it won't be a problem for snow season. I notice in Kevins shot, they are only painting the bus pads on Clinton not the entire right lane on the street. I don't think they'll be using the Union Station terminal yet until next Spring/Summer, so yes while it's done and usable it's not fully completed.

Well if you look at what I said in my post, I did say that this was likely CTA word play, in other words my reference on semantics, given reports we already saw of key elements being delayed. So I pretty much already acknowledged everything you said here sir.;)9_9

Well if you look at what I said in my post, I did say that this was likely CTA word play, in other words my reference on semantics, given reports we already saw of key elements being delayed. So I pretty much already acknowledged everything you said here sir.;)9_9

I tend to follow BusHunter's interpretation. Substasntial completion usually means only punch list remaining. Platform fare collection seems neither core nor possible in the near term, and apparently the Union Station project is related, but separate.

So there is a difference.

I tend to follow BusHunter's interpretation. Substasntial completion usually means only punch list remaining. Platform fare collection seems neither core nor possible in the near term, and apparently the Union Station project is related, but separate.

So there is a difference.

I get what you guys are saying but it just didn't seem like Hilkevich especially or what few local media elements have been following CTA progress on capital improvements have looked at the different projects in smaller chunks in that regard, at least not consistently.

I get what you guys are saying but it just didn't seem like Hilkevich especially or what few local media elements have been following CTA progress on capital improvements have looked at the different projects in smaller chunks in that regard, at least not consistently.

They get what Brian Steele or Tammy Chase gives them.

Quick question about the J14. 

What's the reason this route operates on Monroe in the southbound direction? Will it run along Washington once the Loop Link project is complete?

It seems like it goes back to when Washington was constricted for Block 37 construction, and never went back.

To the extent one can rely on this CDOT brochure, it will, but this CDOT brochure says it won't, so I guess we won't know until next year. Up to CTA rather than CDOT, anyway.

It seems like it goes back to when Washington was constricted for Block 37 construction, and never went back.

To the extent one can rely on this CDOT brochure, it will, but this CDOT brochure says it won't, so I guess we won't know until next year. Up to CTA rather than CDOT, anyway.

Well one would also think on that front that CDOT is going by what CTA says the current normal route structures were at the time they were printing those brochures. And as noted normal southbound routing for J14 is along Monroe, and also as noted it started initially as a detour because of the lane restrictions due to construction related to the Block 37 construction that blew up in CTA's faces. But for whatever reasons CTA decided not to put it back on Washington east of Clinton.

Crews have begun installing bus signals at key intersections. These are being used ahead of blocks where cars are allowed to cross the bus lane in order to enter the right turn lane. The advanced signals will allow buses to proceed through the bus lane ahead of other traffic, reducing conflicts with vehicles wishing to make a right turn at the next intersection.

IMG_0546.jpg

• Upvote 3

Crews have begun installing bus signals at key intersections. These are being used ahead of blocks where cars are allowed to cross the bus lane in order to enter the right turn lane. The advanced signals will allow buses to proceed through the bus lane ahead of other traffic, reducing conflicts with vehicles wishing to make a right turn at the next intersection.

IMG_0546.jpg

That sure does sound confusing. :P I would put really big signs or even lamp covers that have pictures of buses so motorists don't get the wrong message. This will extend the duration of a light cycle. Hopefully that won't result in too many backups. I was noticing looking at the eastbound traffic patterns that once you hit Wacker traffic starts to bottleneck. Hopefully too many won't jump on Wacker as an alternate or it's traffic will be screwed up as well. Maybe it will be better once the buses get out of the two traffic lanes but really to maintain the flow I would think about no turns at select intersections or even curb cuts to give the left side it's own turning lane. That would help alot as more traffic on Washington goes north than south.

I took a good look at the loop links progress today. They did paint the entire right lane of Clinton red, (not just the bus pads) but did nothing on Canal. The bike lanes on Clinton are bidirectional just like on Dearborn.

I was noticing alot of stations have water accumulation on them. hopefully that won't be the norm or the riders are going to get wet. I would have put a sewer grate at the bottom of the hills or make a few small indentments or lines in the concrete with a few small holes so the water could drain towards the bike lane and curb. They claim the concrete streets with the lines are designed to do that for the roads, so motorists don't hydroplane or slide away on ice. Something to think about.

They were putting in the flooring of the Washington/Franklin stop if anyone wants to check it out and all benches seem to be in place at the stations. One more design thing i question. Instead of putting glass separating the bike and platform, I wonder why they just didn't put railings like at the "L" stops. Glass is nice in an interior setting like in a mall but I don't know about outside. 

I saw the new traffic lights, they are at Washington/Lasalle and the block before it. What seems interesting is what they did at Washington /Clark. They have 4 sets of overhead signals one for cars, one for buses, one for bikes probably and I don't know the last one. I like that setup. If we are having bikes on here, they should have a dedicated signal because the stations may block the sightlines of drivers and they could hit the bikes. what would be smart is when they do a queue jump gives the bikes that light and maybe make the right turners have there own light or give them the queue jump. Interesting to say the least. They are installing a right turn lane at Wash/wells, the only one i've seen so far, it's between the bus lane and bike lane. it's going to be interesting to see how this works in rush hour traffic.

One more design thing i question. Instead of putting glass separating the bike and platform, I wonder why they just didn't put railings like at the "L" stops. Glass is nice in an interior setting like in a mall but I don't know about outside. 

Probably for wind resistance. These stations are already being criticized for lack of enclosure, but that's a result of business owners who were concerned that the original design would block storefronts.

What seems interesting is what they did at Washington /Clark. They have 4 sets of overhead signals one for cars, one for buses, one for bikes probably and I don't know the last one. I like that setup. If we are having bikes on here, they should have a dedicated signal because the stations may block the sightlines of drivers and they could hit the bikes. what would be smart is when they do a queue jump gives the bikes that light and maybe make the right turners have there own light or give them the queue jump. 

I'm guessing that one of those lights at Washington/Clark is indeed a signalized right turn for cars.

The tribune has a nice story about the Loop Link. They claim it's scheduled to open next month. They did a dry run of buses traveling through the stations and had an issue with the artics, so they are repairing that. They also talk about last weeks art work. :P

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-cta-loop-link-getting-around-met-1109-20151108-column.html

If you are having trouble reading the article on a PC due to a paywall, (I did) try to read it on an Android device. I read the whole article on my phone. An apple device may have similar results as an Android. It's also in today's paper so you can buy the paper or read it on the cheap. Redeye may have a condensed version of the article too.

Edited by BusHunter