CTA Blue Line Crash at O'Hare

twyztdmynd

There's was an interesting accident in Philly involving a PCC car.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9521997

If you click on the gallery there's more pictures. I didn't know there is such a thing as PCC cars with LED amber destinations, but maybe this is the first.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/gallery?section=news/local&id=9523668&photo=3

Apparently no fun in Korea, either (Tribune).

Or Japan, where the first two cars of a commuter train flipped on their sides after hitting work equipment in February. Nobody was killed, as the train (an E233) was out of service.

The Amagasaki rail accident back in 2005 killed 106, including the driver who was trying to make up lost time from an earlier delay.

There's was an interesting accident in Philly involving a PCC car.

If you click on the gallery there's more pictures. I didn't know there is such a thing as PCC cars with LED amber destinations, but maybe this is the first.

Shows that the PCC car still had a weight advantage over a car.

Apparently SEPTA rebuilt 18 cars in 2010 only for the purpose of restoring Route 15 service and they got pretty much new systems, according to this press release. This site reflects, in my view, considerable political pressure to do so. However, if they can be run only on one route, there doesn't seem to be much of a need for digital signs.

One has to consider that they rebuilt 67 year old cars for probably the umteenth time (once between 79 and 88, and then again the few remaining around 2010).

Shows that the PCC car still had a weight advantage over a car.

Apparently SEPTA rebuilt 18 cars in 2010 only for the purpose of restoring Route 15 service and they got pretty much new systems, according to this press release. This site reflects, in my view, considerable political pressure to do so. However, if they can be run only on one route, there doesn't seem to be much of a need for digital signs.

One has to consider that they rebuilt 67 year old cars for probably the umteenth time (once between 79 and 88, and then again the few remaining around 2010).

The City of Philadelphia essentially pressured SEPTA into restoring trolley service on the 15 in the early 1990s. The cars were rebuilt around 2002-2003 (give or take a year or two), but sat idle because of petty complaints by some West Philly neighborhood activists over parking, among other things. Service was restored in 2005, with the PCC cars sporting roll signs. The electronic signs were replaced at the same time the roll signs on the city and suburban Kawasaki cars were replaced in 2009-2010 (the trolley cars also got the automatic stop announcement equipment standard on SEPTA buses since 1995).

There was an interesting accident in Philly involving a PCC car.

If you click on the gallery, there's more pictures. I didn't know there is such a thing as PCC cars with LED amber destinations, but maybe this is the first.

Ummm, perhaps you missed this post here? :o
  • Upvote 1

I didn't know there is such a thing as PCC cars with LED amber destinations, but maybe this is the first.

The restored PCC that loops around downtown San Diego also has an amber LED destination sign. It also has pantographs, as it shares the same track as the San Diego Trolley.

The restored PCC that loops around downtown San Diego also has an amber LED destination sign. It also has pantographs, as it shares the same track as the San Diego Trolley.

Yeah it seems like every city except Chicago either has light rail or a PCC historic car set(s). Kind of ironic if you think about it, Chicago was home to the largest fleet of PCC cars ever in operation and now it has nothing and no one seems even interested in the idea anymore around here.

Yeah it seems like every city except Chicago either has light rail or a PCC historic car set(s). Kind of ironic if you think about it, Chicago was home to the largest fleet of PCC cars ever in operation and now it has nothing and no one seems even interested in the idea anymore around here.

Maybe you should talk to whoever in 1948-1950 decided to convert them into L cars, except the 2 saved for IRM.

• 1 year later...

Was out at O'hare today and noticed they installed a super bumper in the center pocket. The side ones are still the same old ones. I took a picture of the center one. It looks like not only is it a bumper, it has an arresting system to slow the train down before hitting the bumper. Wow!!

cta's o'hare super bumper.PNG

BTW, rush hour trains were slow into O'hare today. I understand it's friday and it's a busy travel day but trains were taking 20 minutes from Bessie Coleman to the O'Hare terminal. First we were waiting at that long turn by the Bessie bridge, which wasn't bad as I got to watch the planes, but then we were waiting again outside the portal, again in the 2 track subway section, again in the 3 track section and finally pulled into the station. I wonder why, if they are having trains with 3-5 minute headways, they don't just run the pullins to Rosemont and pullin or at least do that with the UIC runs.  We wouldn't be waiting for 4 trains in a row to get access to the pockets. I wouldn't say the pullin personnel wasn't doing their job, they were using the center tracked subway to move trains. It just seemed they were overwhelmed. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Oh I forgot to mention, when I was at O'Hare on the 25th, I noticed they now installed these new yellow bumpers on the outside tracks 1 and 3. I was going to take a picture when I came back through but forgot to. So I guess they'll be no trains going beyond O'hare anytime soon!! :P

When I was out at Midway, I noticed the bumpers there were thick and heavy and I was like the O'Hare ones look so weak, but not now, they even have red lights on each one.

Funny though i don't think they have the arresting feature with the smash boxes like the one pictured above, these are just the standard a frame ones.

• 2 months later...

Heard from the cta garage gossip mill the union got brittany heyward her job back but as a bus ooerator. Then they said she got fired for excessive tardys. Man fired twice at tge same place!! Thats some union though. I hear when they fire you the union has to do it. Or if you quit they ask you why you quit.

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Heard from the cta garage gossip mill the union got brittany heyward her job back but as a bus ooerator. Then they said she got fired for excessive tardys. Man fired twice at tge same place!! Thats some union though. I hear when they fire you the union has to do it. Or if you quit they ask you why you quit.

There is a Brittany Hayward listed on the salary spreadsheet, but the operator of the train that crashed at O'Hare was Brittany Haywood.

This was awhile back as someone was talking about it. It probably wouldn't show up on the latest one. Very clever though to check the spreadsheet. Im trying to figure out why a person i know from a former job is not listed on the spreadsheet. I think i seen him driving a bus too. He's a 18 year veteran out of fg. Just works days now.