Metra repurchasing five 1950's bi-levels for UP North

jesi2282

According to a Chicago Tribune article, Metra has repurchased five 1950's era bi-levels from Virginia Railway Express in order to relief overcrowding on the UP North Line due to lack of spare equipment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...story?track=rss

Wow! thats good news. It will be nice to see those old Pullman cars back home again. They will begin service May 19, so keep an eye out anyone who lives south may see these cars come in with a Conrail train from Indiana. Hopefully more cars will be repurchased.

Wow! thats good news. It will be nice to see those old Pullman cars back home again. They will begin service May 19, so keep an eye out anyone who lives south may see these cars come in with a Conrail train from Indiana. Hopefully more cars will be repurchased.

What WBBM-AM reported and what the Tribune article fails to mention is that Metra sold those cars off for $1 apiece and is buyng them back for $10,000 apiece and says they'll cost up to $100,000 to refurbish.

According to a Chicago Tribune article, Metra has repurchased five 1950's era bi-levels from Virginia Railway Express in order to relief overcrowding on the UP North Line due to lack of spare equipment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...story?track=rss

I've never rode a Metra train yet, but my two cents worth here:

Isn't this a step back for Metra? I know the railroad buffs will love seeing these cars in service again, but they are 58 years old. Isn't that just a little too much maintainance and upkeep just for these five cars? Look at all the trouble the CTA has trying to keep the 2200's(1969-1970) and 2400's(1976-1978) in service until the 5000's start coming in.

I've never rode a Metra train yet, but my two cents worth here:

Isn't this a step back for Metra? I know the railroad buffs will love seeing these cars in service again, but they are 58 years old. Isn't that just a little too much maintainance and upkeep just for these five cars? Look at all the trouble the CTA has trying to keep the 2200's(1969-1970) and 2400's(1976-1978) in service until the 5000's start coming in.

So it looks like the old C&NW (which is where those cars are originally from) lives on. Trust me, those cars are 10 times better than the junk 6000 series recently purchased, and I would hope that the geniuses are getting some of the better ones they gave up and not the worst. Since these are coach and not cab cars, maintenance on these shouldn't be that big of a deal. If they can keep the lights on and the a/c working, they'll be okay. I think a main reason, other than the desire for new stuff, that these cars were retired were because they are not ADA accessible. Watch for some crybabying about that soon.

I think a main reason, other than the desire for new stuff, that these cars were retired were because they are not ADA accessible. Watch for some crybabying about that soon.

Since these are going on the UPN, which runs trains mostly with 6000s and 8400s, both of which are accessible, they exceed the ADA requirement of one car per train. Of course, reading over the Pace Board minutes, apparently you can never satisfy the ADA community.

Since these are going on the UPN, which runs trains mostly with 6000s and 8400s, both of which are accessible, they exceed the ADA requirement of one car per train. Of course, reading over the Pace Board minutes, apparently you can never satisfy the ADA community.

Especially on the UPN line! Many crybabies on that line alone.

All of these comments about ADA people are offensive. I can't believe you guys would make fun of ADA people like this. How dare you make fun of ADA people! This is plain ingorance. ADA people are not really trying to be crybabies, you know. No of course, ADA people are almost always picked on. I wish an ADA person would tell you people off and also say back off! And don't even come to me saying "oh, well I had so many complaints from ADA people I could write a book", that's no excuse whatsoever. How would you like it if someone said "hey, he's a crybaby!" to YOU? You wouldn't like it, would you?! No! Quite frankly, let someone reply to this and start a flame war, I don't care at all.

As for this whole thing about these trains, i'll have to say is this is stupid. I know you railroad fans will like this, but this is so stupid, especially if they're 58 years old. I can just imagine how the line they're going to run on will be now with these trains on it. But I do advise you railroad fans do take lots of pictures of the trains, there might not be another chance like this ever again.

P.S. If you call me a crybaby, i'll PM you and tell you off. And i'm sorry to those who do not have to go through my big leacture, but I just feel that this has to be addressed to the entire board.

All of these comments about ADA people are offensive. I can't believe you guys would make fun of ADA people like this. How dare you make fun of ADA people! This is plain ingorance. ADA people are not really trying to be crybabies, you know. No of course, ADA people are almost always picked on. I wish an ADA person would tell you people off and also say back off! And don't even come to me saying "oh, well I had so many complaints from ADA people I could write a book", that's no excuse whatsoever. How would you like it if someone said "hey, he's a crybaby!" to YOU? You wouldn't like it, would you?! No! Quite frankly, let someone reply to this and start a flame war, I don't care at all.

As for this whole thing about these trains, i'll have to say is this is stupid. I know you railroad fans will like this, but this is so stupid, especially if they're 58 years old. I can just imagine how the line they're going to run on will be now with these trains on it. But I do advise you railroad fans do take lots of pictures of the trains, there might not be another chance like this ever again.

P.S. If you call me a crybaby, i'll PM you and tell you off. And i'm sorry to those who do not have to go through my big leacture, but I just feel that this has to be addressed to the entire board.

Sorry, I wasant referring to ADA people. I show the utmost respect for people with disabilities. I meant people in general along the north shore communities that whine and cry for example, a bus or train being 30 seconds late and I had to get an earful. Ive experienced this and it was very annoying. As for the ex-Metra cars returning to Chicago, I don think this is a stupid idea like you say. These are vintage, historical cars and it is exciting to hear theyre coming back even for a little while. You said yourself this chance will never happen again so you must like the idea yourself just a bit. Youre right we should take advantage of the opportunity to photograph these trains making a brief comeback. I will certainly take advantage of the opportunity.

Sorry, I wasant referring to ADA people. I show the utmost respect for people with disabilities. I meant people in general along the north shore communities that whine and cry for example, a bus or train being 30 seconds late and I had to get an earful. Ive experienced this and it was very annoying.

Oh, that's okay. I didn't mean to snap at you then.

As for the ex-Metra cars returning to Chicago, I don think this is a stupid idea like you say. These are vintage, historical cars and it is exciting to hear theyre coming back even for a little while. You said yourself this chance will never happen again so you must like the idea yourself just a bit. Youre right we should take advantage of the opportunity to photograph these trains making a brief comeback. I will certainly take advantage of the opportunity.

Of course its exciting if you are a railroad fan, but I think its stupid in regards to service because ... won't that slow service down?

Hello,

My name is Robin, this is my first time on this site. I am not normally into public transportation websites, however a friend of mine alerted me to this thread. I cannot believe how offensive and insensitive some of the above comments are. You see, I am a profoundly deaf female. That means that I am covered by the ADA, although with me it is a communication issue, not a mobility issue

Please understand that I am not the militant type. I do believe in being reasonable, for example I know that I will never work as an announcer (I can talk, but my speech is slow and impaired) or any other job that absolutely requires hearing. But you must understand what the purpose of the ADA is. It is to ensure that people with disabilities can have many of the same opportunities that everyone else has.

Because of the ADA, I cannot be denied a drivers license, be turned down for auto insurance or be forced to pay higher rates, or be denied a rental car solely because my ears don't work. Yes, I do drive and I once threatened to enact the ADA against a car rental company that initially didn't want to rent me a car. The ADA is also responsible for the electronic crawl signs on Metra so I don't have to ask a hearing person if there's a delay, captioning on videos and films at museums so that I can enjoy the exhibits too, and closed captioning so I can watch TV and movies at home. As for mobility-impaired people, don't you think they have a right to go to work? Or to the movies, the theatre, the museums, or the ballgame? Besides, I think that most don't care if every car on the train has a lift as long as they CAN get on the train.

As I said, I do believe in being reasonable, but please think a moment before you make comments like that. Try to imagine life for a moment without functioning eyes, ears, legs, etc. Then try to imagine legislation (the ADA) which was designed so that you could do many of the things that others take for granted.

--Robin--

Oh, that's okay. I didn't mean to snap at you then.

Of course its exciting if you are a railroad fan, but I think its stupid in regards to service because ... won't that slow service down?

Can you elaborate more on how the purchase of five extra used Metra cars will slow down service?

Can you elaborate more on how the purchase of five extra used Metra cars will slow down service?

I'm not going to mis-interpret (or I'll try not to), but I guess the trains are old and would cause a breakdown...which really shouldn't be the case since they will be updated and rehabbed.

Are they adding the 5 to the various consists, or will they use it for a single consist of 5?

I'm not going to mis-interpret (or I'll try not to), but I guess the trains are old and would cause a breakdown...which really shouldn't be the case since they will be updated and rehabbed.

Are they adding the 5 to the various consists, or will they use it for a single consist of 5?

There shouldn't be any delay problems here, since these cars will be trailers and not cab cars.

I would imagine that they will spread out these cars one per consist and take the 5 (or at least 4)current fleet cars and make up another consist. However, since the UP uses the cab car as the designated ADA coach in their consists, it would be possible to take the 5 rehabs, put it with the 8400 series cab car and make up a train that way. I just doubt it will be done that way.

There shouldn't be any delay problems here, since these cars will be trailers and not cab cars.

I would imagine that they will spread out these cars one per consist and take the 5 (or at least 4)current fleet cars and make up another consist. However, since the UP uses the cab car as the designated ADA coach in their consists, it would be possible to take the 5 rehabs, put it with the 8400 series cab car and make up a train that way. I just doubt it will be done that way.

Since the cars will arrive for the summer Im sure all that will matter to Metra is the that the cars lighting, power and a/c systems work properly. Like you stated these are only coaches not cab cars that will be used. Metra has done a good job keeping cars in good working condition. Good example, their 1950 BN 700/800 series cars are still running today. They did have their rehabs but it shows how Metra does a good job keeping their fleet in good shape. Metra did an excellent job keeping the 1960 Pullman bilevel coaches in good working order all the way to the end. What Im curious about now is what will Metra do about the exterior. I think some of the cars werent painted when they were sold to VRE, some retained their Metra livery or could the cars arrive in the VRE livery. Will Metra keep this look and just slap Metra logos on them or will they repaint them to Metras last livery?, I wonder. Its possible the cars will either arrive in the VRE livery or the cars could be painted a solid gray paint scheme with a Metra logo to match the bilevels on the Milw. Dist and UP lines.

Hello,

My name is Robin, this is my first time on this site. I am not normally into public transportation websites, however a friend of mine alerted me to this thread. I cannot believe how offensive and insensitive some of the above comments are. You see, I am a profoundly deaf female. That means that I am covered by the ADA, although with me it is a communication issue, not a mobility issue

Please understand that I am not the militant type. I do believe in being reasonable, for example I know that I will never work as an announcer (I can talk, but my speech is slow and impaired) or any other job that absolutely requires hearing. But you must understand what the purpose of the ADA is. It is to ensure that people with disabilities can have many of the same opportunities that everyone else has.

Because of the ADA, I cannot be denied a drivers license, be turned down for auto insurance or be forced to pay higher rates, or be denied a rental car solely because my ears don't work. Yes, I do drive and I once threatened to enact the ADA against a car rental company that initially didn't want to rent me a car. The ADA is also responsible for the electronic crawl signs on Metra so I don't have to ask a hearing person if there's a delay, captioning on videos and films at museums so that I can enjoy the exhibits too, and closed captioning so I can watch TV and movies at home. As for mobility-impaired people, don't you think they have a right to go to work? Or to the movies, the theatre, the museums, or the ballgame? Besides, I think that most don't care if every car on the train has a lift as long as they CAN get on the train.

As I said, I do believe in being reasonable, but please think a moment before you make comments like that. Try to imagine life for a moment without functioning eyes, ears, legs, etc. Then try to imagine legislation (the ADA) which was designed so that you could do many of the things that others take for granted.

--Robin--

I totally agree with your comments, Robin. And you did not snap (like I did), you were great in your response to this.

Hmmm ... well, if these are older cars, then won't they have to slow down? And what if they break down the minute they get on the tracks?

I'm not going to mis-interpret (or I'll try not to), but I guess the trains are old and would cause a breakdown

Excatly my point.

which really shouldn't be the case since they will be updated and rehabbed.

Wait, they're being updated and rehabbed? I had no idea.

I totally agree with your comments, Robin. And you did not snap (like I did), you were great in your response to this.

Hmmm ... well, if these are older cars, then won't they have to slow down? And what if they break down the minute they get on the tracks?

Excatly my point.

Wait, they're being updated and rehabbed? I had no idea.

A passenger car does not "break down". Metra isnt just going to release these cars out on the rails before they check them. Im sure they will make sure these cars will be ready for service. The only thing that would place the car out of service if the lighting, a/c, heat or any other power system fails other than that thats about it, the other systems on the cars are checked regularly. Plus VRE should provide Metra with a maintenance history before or when Metra takes posession.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...