#4000 Arrives

Kevin

Anyone know the delivery trend of the 4000s now that 77th reportedly has them? Is there an odd/even swap still occuring between 77th and North Park or 103rd or is 77th taking in all newly delivered 4000s at the moment?
According to BusTracker, the "apparently 77 has them" is correct, but they appear to be buses that were previously reported to be at 103, as opposed to new deliveries.

post-14-1231169545_thumb.jpg

According to BusTracker, the "apparently 77 has them" is correct, but they appear to be buses that were previously reported to be at 103, as opposed to new deliveries.

So I WAS a little correct.

Please spare me the being more interested in how pretty the buses are baloney. I said to you some weeks ago when you first brought up your concerns that if they involved safety report it to someone who can remedy the situation. Instead you insisted on making post after post of all these problems but gave no indication that you had reported the more serious to the proper officials who could correct them. That's what made me question your motives, and I do have a right to bring up those doubts if you're going to post these problems that are supposed to be going on with all these new buses on a public forum but give no indication that you reported the more serious ones to proper officials who can correct them. You can also save the not comprehending the mechanical aspect of the bus line because it doesn't take an expert on how a bus works to understand when someone is putting out all these problems going on with a bus, some of which are said to involve passenger safety, but yet that person refuses to report the problem under the premise that nothing is going to be done about it anyway. That would make anyone question if all these problems are really occurring. Now you say there are problems but they are getting fixed. There's just nothing consistant with what you've been posting all this time, but yet no one is supposed to question the credibility behind the posts.

I agree completey, jajuan. If you have so much of a problem with a bus, REPORT it, don't complain to people who can't do a thing about it. We can't do a thing. Most of us are just bus fans. Then you when you do try to help the person out and give them links and stuff, they get mad at you (then when you say you can't go to a certain place, like 77th, people ask what kind of bus fan you are, but I'm saving that rant for another time ...).

So I WAS a little correct.

I agree completey, jajuan. If you have so much of a problem with a bus, REPORT it, don't complain to people who can't do a thing about it. We can't do a thing. Most of us are just bus fans. Then you when you do try to help the person out and give them links and stuff, they get mad at you (then when you say you can't go to a certain place, like 77th, people ask what kind of bus fan you are, but I'm saving that rant for another time ...).

Sorry, my bad, I forgot you are only 15 years old and have a curfew. You certainly don't belong in that neighborhood!

Sorry, my bad, I forgot you are only 15 years old and have a curfew. You certainly don't belong in that neighborhood!

It's not only that, T8H5307A. There's alot more, but if you would like to know what, please PM me because I don't want to discuss anything else like this on a public board. I'd rather explain one on one.

Now can we get back to talking about the subject at hand?

Yeah, that would be correct; after getting off school in downtown, I walked to the bus stop at State and Congress-Harrison as usual, though shocked to see hybrid #4032 pull up on the #6 Jackson Park Express. It may have had a 77th run, but it had the '03' decal on the front windshield, right above the run box. As it pulled away, it was noticeably more silent than a usual NABI on that route.

is 103rd transferring their hybrids to 77th, or some of them

It sounds like all of them. Maybe they are really having problems with them at 103rd and they are being loaned for a month or 2 to 77th so the mechanics at south shops could iron out there problems. This is kind of reminding me of the #1740's and 50's swap from 74th earlier in 2008.

It sounds like all of them. Maybe they are really having problems with them at 103rd and they are being loaned for a month or 2 to 77th so the mechanics at south shops could iron out there problems. This is kind of reminding me of the #1740's and 50's swap from 74th earlier in 2008.
But if that were the case, why would 6 all the sudden become reliant on them?

post-14-1231255681_thumb.jpgpost-14-1231255705_thumb.jpg

At least with the 1750s, we knew it was a BusTracker software problem. Also, we know what was shifted in return--1320s. As I asked yesterday, did 103 have that big of a surplus, or what did it get in return?

But if that were the case, why would 6 all the sudden become reliant on them?

post-14-1231255681_thumb.jpgpost-14-1231255705_thumb.jpg

At least with the 1750s, we knew it was a BusTracker software problem. Also, we know what was shifted in return--1320s. As I asked yesterday, did 103 have that big of a surplus, or what did it get in return?

The answer is in the January bus swaps thread. I just answered it.

After further review of what I said, I've found out that the swap was only for #4012 - #4036 evens to 77th. #4038 and #4040 are still at 103rd. Oddly enough I've also found out that yellow sticker telling people to press here to exit door has now been removed on #4012 - #4034 evens and replaced with another one with words double the size and also placed lower to match the #4035 and up buses that were delivered with this new placement of the stickers. I guess there was concern over the doors working properly. In other news #4047 was out on the #144 yesterday and this morning it was appearing on the #147 as well.

Anybody notice that the last 1/2 dozen or so 4000s and a later batch

of 1900s (at least from 1938 which I rode on the 14 the other night)

have done away with the www on the transitchicago.com over the

rear windows. I guess money is getting tight with all of these bus

transfers again that they can't afford the 3 letter decal to keep things

consistent.

NP has around 23-25 in stock, but they still seem to be short buses. Not sure if some NABI's are being sent out for rehab or not. Wish they would, if just for new suspension.

#4055 is on the #147 as I speak. Don't know why Np still has loaner buses. There fleet is on the increase there. There's starting to be quite a few artics on the street. I wonder if anyone has thought of the traffic implications of having artic after artic on places like Michigan Av. Some routes seem to be a bit of a waste to have artics like the #143 or #144. They just don't have that high of a ridership.

#4055 is on the #147 as I speak. Don't know why Np still has loaner buses. There fleet is on the increase there. There's starting to be quite a few artics on the street. I wonder if anyone has thought of the traffic implications of having artic after artic on places like Michigan Av. Some routes seem to be a bit of a waste to have artics like the #143 or #144. They just don't have that high of a ridership.

Many routes don't have that high of ridership, nor do they have streets that are artic-friendly. So I ask again, why do we need 150+900*+58^=1,108 hybrid articulated buses??? That's a little bit of overkill, IMO.

*=if all options are exercised

^=added option, perhaps BRT-styled buses(possibly DE60LFR's)

They need them so that all these newly hired part time bus operators that they don't know what to do with have something to drive!

It would appear though, that to actually implement a 3 for 4 replacement, new schedules and a new pick would be needed, wouldn't they?

I am fairly convinced that these articulated buses are going to used for specific block runs late in the evening on routes which would not get articulated buses during weekday rush hours.

By way of an example: On Halloween night [Friday night | Saturday morning], returning from the Bottom Lounge; the #77 Belmont going westbound to Cumberland {and it was the last run of the night going beyond Central} was at crush capacity at Lincoln & Ashland. The operator was effectively not collecting fares. She was waving people aboard and telling them please move to the rear.

That run needed a higher-capacity bus.