Latest 5000-series Rail Car Rendering

Kevin

Unfortunately Busjack, 60 does not divide into 8 evenly(answer is 7.5), and these cars are A/C, not D/C. My theory about Blue Line getting 3200's from Kimball and Kimball getting the first 206 is more plausable(currently 142 cars are at Kimball Yard), but if they get all 206, that'll give the Brown Line 64 extra cars, which, does divide evenly into 8...

Blue Line has 120 operable 2200-Series cars(give or take a few), Brown Line has 142 3200's. These cars can train with the 210 2600's that they already have, as opposed to the 5000's. The 3200's can phase out the 2200's and give the Blue Line 22 additional cars.

I think the CTA would rather move 142 3200's, in small groups, over to the Blue Line yard while the Brown Line is shut down overnight, then try to move 210 2600's around that use them 24/7. This will continue until all 142 are at the Blue Line yard and the 2200's are ran or trucked to wherever railcars get scrapped at. At the same time, the 5000's start to come in from their beginning point(most likely Howard Yard or Skokie Shops) to the Kimball Yard for use the next day.

1. I said "about 60" not exactly 60. I don't know how many 2200s and 2400s are officially dead. Besides, this isn't an exact science; there are always spares. For instance NICTD ordred 14 300s to run 2 6 car trains. That doesn't divide either. (BTW, how can I eat yogurt any more when they went from 8 to 6 oz tubs, and I always used to eat a half cup--4 oz.?)

2. Until such time as a sufficient quantity of the 406 is received, some line will have to run trains of either the old or new, although the trains themselves can't use mixed cars. Again, done on the South Shore and ME (especially the case on the ME).

3. While we can have theories, the last 3 years of bus shuffling indicates that the CTA doesn't know what it rather do, and since 406 cars are on order, it has to figure out what to do with the additional about 200 cars. even if it completely equipped the Brown Line with 8 car trains and ran them at the same frequency that they ran the 6 car trains before the New Start started.

The CTA may have tipped their hand on what they wish to do with the #5000's if you read the September President's report. (I'd give you a link but transitchicago.com seems to be erroring this week) They state something to the effect that they want to finish Dearborn Subway tie and rail rehabbing before the arrival of #5000 series railcars on the blue line. I think it's just a matter of how many. Usually where the railcars test the most is where they will end up. I remember in 1992 seeing the #3200's on the Howard/Jackson Park for a limited time as well as on the blue for about a week or two, but the majority of the time they spent testing on the Brown. That's where they ended up, also historically the newest train cars always have ended up on the newest line (#6000's on the new Dearborn Subway in 1951, #2000's on the Green line (Lake) after the Lake street branch in Oak Park was raised in 1964, #2200's on the new Dan Ryan line in 1969 and #3200's on the Orange line in 1993) I think if the railcars continue to be delivered (up to 706) for 2016's projected completion of the Red, Orange and Yellow line extensions those cars may find a home there.

The CTA may have tipped their hand on what they wish to do with the #5000's if you read the September President's report. (I'd give you a link but transitchicago.com seems to be erroring this week) They state something to the effect that they want to finish Dearborn Subway tie and rail rehabbing before the arrival of #5000 series railcars on the blue line.

I think you meant the Construction Report. The link is here.

For that matter, they would have to complete the Loop Signals Project to run 5000s on the Brown (or any other Loop) Line, and that same report says that's a year behind.

I think if the railcars continue to be delivered (up to 706) for 2016's projected completion of the Red, Orange and Yellow line extensions those cars may find a home there.

At least the August Strategic Planning Report indicates a need for a fleet increase (78 Red, 20 Orange, and 4 Yellow). Of course, by then, the 2600s will have reached their 30 year service lives.

I think you meant the Construction Report. The link is here.

For that matter, the would have to complete the Loop Signals Project to run 5000s on the Brown (or any other Loop) Line, and that same report says that's a year behind.

At least the August Strategic Planning Report indicates a need for a fleet increase (78 Red, 20 Orange, and 4 Yellow). Of course, by then, the 2600s will have reached their 30 year service lives.

I think they will have to exercise all bombardier options to fill all these car requests. With The circle line AA coming right behind this. They may have to go looking for more cars soon enough. Alot of projects all at the same time. With 622 of the 706 cars being regular and 84 airport express, they may have to see if they can modify the contract especially if Block 37 is still a bust in the later 2010's.

With 622 of the 706 cars being regular and 84 airport express, they may have to see if they can modify the contract especially if Block 37 is still a bust in the later 2010's.

Evidence that you did read the consultant report I cited.B):D

I'm sure with options, CTA will get what it wants (i.e. regular or airport cars, or maybe back to cars with forward and backward seats) by when the time comes.