In Service/Retired RTA,Pace bus photos

PACE 834

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what the source for them was, as there is no record of Pace ever purchasing any. However, from the cards in the windshield, apparently they belonged to whoever was the Naperville contractor then. Also, note that the one in the front view doesn't have an M license plate.

I was wondering what the source for them was, as there is no record of Pace ever purchasing any. However, from the card in the windshield, apparently they belonged to whoever was the Naperville contractor then. Also, note that the one in the front view doesn't have an M license plate.

It was Vancom, they ran Hammond Transit with RTS's also

What was the series numbers for the Grummans? #8400-?
According to Bill V., there were 3 series: 8201-8301 (wide) 8301-8405 (narrow) and 8406 (demonstrator).

I'm surprised that there wasn't any 8500 series of anything (the next reported series being the 8600 series Waukegan Gilligs and some trolley replicas and the like).

BTW, RTA or Pace often seemed to have the trailing oddball number (also 2378 which was a 35 footer after the 40s, and 2453 which was a 40 footer after the 35s). All demonstrators, like 8406 and the "mystery" CTA ones noted in the maintenance and training bus thread? (Also, Bill has missed or misclassified a few.)

I never really saw much of the Grummans when they were in service. I do remember the problems they were experiencing. I remember seeing these buses, mostly in downtown. I didnt understand much about them by way of operations. I lived in Chicago/NW side and my attention was mostly focused on CTA as well as the blue GMC Nortran buses. I do remember that paint scheme though.

According to Bill V., there were 3 series: 8201-8301 (wide) 8301-8405 (narrow) and 8406 (demonstrator).

I'm surprised that there wasn't any 8500 series of anything (the next reported series being the 8600 series Waukegan Gilligs and some trolley replicas and the like).

BTW, RTA or Pace often seemed to have the trailing oddball number (also 2378 which was a 35 footer after the 40s, and 2453 which was a 40 footer after the 35s). All demonstrators, like 8406 and the "mystery" CTA ones noted in the maintenance and training bus thread? (Also, Bill has missed or misclassified a few.)

I remember riding the Gillig #8600s in Waukegan. I do have video taken on the Gilligs, I have to find it. :(

I never really saw much of the Grummans when they were in service. I do remember the problems they were experiencing. I remember seeing these buses, mostly in downtown. I didnt understand much about them by way of operations. I lived in Chicago/NW side and my attention was mostly focused on CTA as well as the blue GMC Nortran buses. I do remember that paint scheme though.

If you were on the northwest side of the city I'd have thought you would have seen the Grummans on Nortran's 290/291 route. They came through Rogers Park quite frequently back in the day.

Gene King

If you were on the northwest side of the city I'd have thought you would have seen the Grummans on Nortran's 290/291 route. They came through Rogers Park quite frequently back in the day.

Gene King

No, I never spent much time around Rogers Pk. too far north for me. Like I said never really saw much of the Grummans.

For a while in the 80's, thats all "Westtowns' (Oak Park) Had. The air ride drivers seat looked like an amusement park ride in itself. You'd hit the tracks hard at Fullerton and Harlem and still be bouncing at Armitage. Was never a real fan of the 'floor mount' turn signals. I had to experience similar on the neoplans at Colonial.

For a while in the 80's, thats all "Westtowns' (Oak Park) Had. The air ride drivers seat looked like an amusement park ride in itself. You'd hit the tracks hard at Fullerton and Harlem and still be bouncing at Armitage. Was never a real fan of the 'floor mount' turn signals. I had to experience similar on the neoplans at Colonial.

I've been on some from West mostly as a child. The biggest thing I remember was the orange vinyl seats that were inside filled with a soft cushiony filler and the big tinted windows that were quite nice. They were the nicest buses I had seen up to that time. I vaguely remember those buses having a yellow pushbar along the windows that you could press to chime the stop requested bell. Those buses had some real cool features for the 1980's.

I've been on some from West mostly as a child. The biggest thing I remember was the orange vinyl seats that were inside filled with a soft cushiony filler and the big tinted windows that were quite nice. They were the nicest buses I had seen up to that time. I vaguely remember those buses having a yellow pushbar along the windows that you could press to chime the stop requested bell. Those buses had some real cool features for the 1980's.

Sometime ago I used to subscribe to Mass Transit magazine and it carried many ads for Advance Design Buses [including the Grummans]. Those ads showed buses with the plush seats,etc just like you noted.

I used to wonder when would CTA operate ADBs. They finally purchased some in the 1990s but interiors were not as luxurious. :lol:

Gene King

Do you still work at Colonial?

No--- November 99 to Mid 2002

Oh ok, Well then I got a question for you... :)

Ive only been with Colonial since April, 2007,

What do you remember about the Colonial/Academy bus fleet back then? Pace fleet, OTR Coaches etc.....

Oh ok, Well then I got a question for you... :)

Ive only been with Colonial since April, 2007,

What do you remember about the Colonial/Academy bus fleet back then? Pace fleet, OTR Coaches etc.....

Mostly OTR coaches. 3 MCI J's, 7 MCI e'S, Dozen Y2K DL4500's (Lifts), UM-teen Older DL4500's, Dozen B3/C3's, 10 Neoplan Texas Transits, 4 Accordian Neo's, 6 mid 80's A3's (Continental Express's, A real good looking MC8, 1 executive liner, and the PIECE DE LA RESISTANCE... A Prevost H5-60 Accordian coach. Sweet Bus !!! ALL TOP CONDITION ! When I left the 'Ohare' Coach USA deal was completed... Inheriting some old MCI and misc busses along with PACE. In my day (moaning with age!) we had the 610, 1006, 1012, 1015, 1017 Pace routes...mostly now extinct. We used coaches on em.

Mostly OTR coaches. 3 MCI J's, 7 MCI e'S, Dozen Y2K DL4500's (Lifts), UM-teen Older DL4500's, Dozen B3/C3's, 10 Neoplan Texas Transits, 4 Accordian Neo's, 6 mid 80's A3's (Continental Express's, A real good looking MC8, 1 executive liner, and the PIECE DE LA RESISTANCE... A Prevost H5-60 Accordian coach. Sweet Bus !!! ALL TOP CONDITION ! When I left the 'Ohare' Coach USA deal was completed... Inheriting some old MCI and misc busses along with PACE. In my day (moaning with age!) we had the 610, 1006, 1012, 1015, 1017 Pace routes...mostly now extinct. We used coaches on em.

Well I hate to tell you but you dont want to see how the H5-60 accordian coach looks now. It caught fire and now sits in Colonial's yard burned out. There are still three Houston Texas Metro artics. Theres still a variety of buses there in the yard.

Well I hate to tell you but you dont want to see how the H5-60 accordian coach looks now. It caught fire and now sits in Colonial's yard burned out. There are still three Houston Texas Metro artics. Theres still a variety of buses there in the yard.

Yeah, I know. She was good to me. RIP.

Yeah, I know. She was good to me. RIP.

I mainly operate the Pace local transit routes but Ive had a few opportunities to drive the MCI 102A3 OTR coaches. One of the trips using an MCI on the Pace #855.

I mainly operate the Pace local transit routes but Ive had a few opportunities to drive the MCI 102A3 OTR coaches. One of the trips using an MCI on the Pace #855.

When did colonial get rid of their DINA's (Marcopolo's)? I used to recall seeing them in the yard years back, and I know their performance was a little disappointing (I rode one and it wasn't that bad).