6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Bushunter is right. As a matter of fact the new NOVAs that will mostly replace the current ones aren't even scheduled for delivery until early next year. If I remember the other posts correctly from those who've followed the deal in greater detail along with CTA's own reporting on this, the prototype isn't even set to reach CTA grounds until November or December of this year.

Bushunter is right. As a matter of fact the new NOVAs that will mostly replace the current ones aren't even scheduled for delivery until early next year. If I remember the other posts correctly from those who've followed the deal in greater detail along with CTA's own reporting on this, the prototype isn't even set to reach CTA grounds until November or December of this year.

I remember I read that. 300 to be exact. And not all of the 6400 Series Novas have reached their 12-year mark yet.

Bushunter is right. As a matter of fact the new NOVAs that will mostly replace the current ones aren't even scheduled for delivery until early next year....

The issue also is that after all the rail shutdowns, how many of the 4300s are to replace Novas.That is if CTA ever gets beyond rail shutdowns.

The issue also is that after all the rail shutdowns, how many of the 4300s are to replace Novas.That is if CTA ever gets beyond rail shutdowns.

True. Which is why I didn't even bring up that side of the equation and said that the new NOVAs yet to come would mostly replace the old ones. Or I guess I should rearrange that to make it less clumsily worded and phrase it that they would replace most of the old ones.

• 1 month later...

Was by the scrapyard yesterday. You can add 6522 and 6531 to the list of scrapped novas. I also seen the 2 white novas on the south fence. I dont know the numbers of either

That explains why New Flyer buses 1972 and 1974 remain at Chicago Garage unlike the rest of the 1932-1981 group that's now at 77th.

Was by the scrapyard yesterday. You can add 6522 and 6531 to the list of scrapped novas. I also seen the 2 white novas on the south fence. I dont know the numbers of either

Actually #6531 has been in the scrap section since at least Nov 20th, 2012. Mikeymc77 posted that the bus had windows missing and it's farebox was gone in the other what's left for 6400 novabuses thread that Youngbuslover started on the 2nd page of the CTA bus section. (post #13 on the following link) http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/2736-whats-left-for-the-nova-lfs-6400s/

• 1 year later...

If one wants to get into the world of the truly bizarre, there is a solicitation for Cummins Recon Engine packages, including for 6400 series Nova Buses. Now, why, if they are going to be scrapped in a year?

The solicitation also includes 800 and 900 series buses, and 1630-2029 series buses (why if they were going to Cummins N Power for rehab?), 4000-4207 hybrids, 1000-1429 (again, why if they are already being rebuilt?) and 1430-1469.

Maybe this is only procuring prices for spares, but it still doesn't make any sense.

If one wants to get into the world of the truly bizarre, there is a solicitation for Cummins Recon Engine packages, including for 6400 series Nova Buses. Now, why, if they are going to be scrapped in a year?

The solicitation also includes 800 and 900 series buses, and 1630-2029 series buses (why if they were going to Cummins N Power for rehab?), 4000-4207 hybrids, 1000-1429 (again, why if they are already being rebuilt?) and 1430-1469.

Maybe this is only procuring prices for spares, but it still doesn't make any sense.

I would read this as replacements for broke-down engines/transmissions, not wholesale. Note says "as required". If only 300 new Novas are bought, there will still be a need to keep 100+ old Novas running for a while.

I would read this as replacements for broke-down engines/transmissions, not wholesale. Note says "as required". If only 300 new Novas are bought, there will still be a need to keep 100+ old Novas running for a while.

The last part of your statement is why a part of me still thinks they'll exercise the option to take the extra 150 since the original solicitation for them and the still as of yet unannounced artic deal was for 300 to 450 forty foot buses and 50 to 150 articulated buses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's official guys; #6647 is retired. One of the back windows has been removed. The Nova on the right side of #6647 had #62 Archer on the side flip dot signage but I couldn't get it's number. Also, #6509 and #6548 are in the back and I'm not sure of future retirement yet.

post-1364-0-54380900-1404607311_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

IIRC thats what is left of 6568 on the right. It was wrecked at Archer/Pulaski.But what is the wrapped bus on the left?

It's not #6568 because that one is way far right from #6647 and the stripped bus by #6647. I've tried checking the barcode with the bus number on the right side but without my glasses it's really hard to see because it's really small. The wrapped bus is one of the three Flxibles (6000s series) on behalf of the fresh market busses in which all three of them are also officially retired. Two of them were from Forest Glen (one was ex-6127) and the other one was from Kedzie (if anybody know the number of that bus).

It's official guys; #6647 is retired. One of the back windows has been removed. The Nova on the right side of #6647 had #62 Archer on the side flip dot signage but I couldn't get it's number. Also, #6509 and #6548 are in the back and I'm not sure of future retirement yet.

Good shot, but I could have sworn 6647 was reported retired a few weeks ago or was that still officially a longterm hold at the time or perhaps a different former 74th Garage assigned 6400 series I'm thinking about?

It's not #6568 because that one is way far right from #6647 and the stripped bus by #6647. I've tried checking the barcode with the bus number on the right side but without my glasses it's really hard to see because it's really small. The wrapped bus is one of the three Flxibles (6000s series) on behalf of the fresh market busses in which all three of them are also officially retired. Two of them were from Forest Glen (one was ex-6127) and the other one was from Kedzie (if anybody know the number of that bus).

Other two were ID'd as 6029 and 6129.

• Upvote 1

Good shot, but I could have sworn 6647 was reported retired a few weeks ago or was that still officially a longterm hold at the time or perhaps a different former 74th Garage assigned 6400 series I'm thinking about?

When I first mentioned that a few weeks ago, I had a feeling that it was retired because of the fact that it was parked by the other retired Novas. I was thinking like what the hell happened to this one because it was from 74th despite the wearing and tearing from a lot of them. So pretty much by the help of the removed window, this bus is terminated from operation.

Other two were ID'd as 6029 and 6129.

May the good lord bless you for the info. Thanks man.

IIRC thats what is left of 6568 on the right. It was wrecked at Archer/Pulaski.But what is the wrapped bus on the left?

Just looked on the garage roster page and seen the pic of 6568. Its definitely not that bus. 6610 has been there awhile, could make sense that is where 6610 would have been. (Archer)

Just looked on the garage roster page and seen the pic of 6568. Its definitely not that bus. 6610 has been there awhile, could make sense that is where 6610 would have been. (Archer)

I'm going to see if I can verify that bus tomorrow before I go to work.

Guess what guys.....I DROVA NOVA!!! Get it?? Lol but today I did it was 6611 out of 74th for my recertification which we have to do every 2yrs of course. I know that bus is the oldest in the fleet but they drive pretty good and I was hoping to God that I would be able to actually drive one before they were all retired and now I can officially say that I have and put that under my belt lol. I now have officially drove every bus in the current fleet for the exception of the 800 and 900 series which are the same as the 1000's so it still counts lol. Just wanted to share that with you guys I'm obviously excited about it and wanted to share it with my fellow bus fans. Also got to see some really old buses at 77th I didn't even know they still had the fish bowls in their green limousine livery as well as a 4400 and 6000 series buses. Of course I got to see a few new Novas too one was behind us as I was pulling into 77th this morning couldn't get the number though wasnt close enough. But great day over all passed my test and I'm good for another 2yrs lol.