6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

...Also got to see some really old buses at 77th I didn't even know they still had the fish bowls in their green limousine livery as well as a 4400 and 6000 series buses. ....

Where do those hang out? Some part of the barn after many of its runs were sent to 103rd? They don't really seem to be in the various yards where the junk usually is.

Guess what guys.....I DROVA NOVA!!! Get it?? Lol but today I did it was 6611 out of 74th for my recertification which we have to do every 2yrs of course. I know that bus is the oldest in the fleet but they drive pretty good and I was hoping to God that I would be able to actually drive one before they were all retired and now I can officially say that I have and put that under my belt lol. I now have officially drove every bus in the current fleet for the exception of the 800 and 900 series which are the same as the 1000's so it still counts lol. Just wanted to share that with you guys I'm obviously excited about it and wanted to share it with my fellow bus fans. Also got to see some really old buses at 77th I didn't even know they still had the fish bowls in their green limousine livery as well as a 4400 and 6000 series buses. Of course I got to see a few new Novas too one was behind us as I was pulling into 77th this morning couldn't get the number though wasnt close enough. But great day over all passed my test and I'm good for another 2yrs lol.

arthouwill just posted this exact same paragraph in the "Random CTA" thread o.O were one of you guys trying to move that paragraph to different topics?

Yea that's the 1st and last time I share some happy news to you guys on here lol I was basically telling you all that I got the chance to drive a nova before they retired which is frickin awesome for me and all y'all can say is I mentioned the same thing some one else did about the old buses at 77th? How about a oh that's great man I'm happy for you sheesh, nothing big just an acknowledgement Woulda been cool.

• Upvote 2

Yea that's the 1st and last time I share some happy news to you guys on here lol I was basically telling you all that I got the chance to drive a nova before they retired which is frickin awesome for me and all y'all can say is I mentioned the same thing some one else did about the old buses at 77th? How about a oh that's great man I'm happy for you sheesh, nothing big just an acknowledgement Woulda been cool.

Yeah that's weird. Well congrats, you got to drive those old junky Novas. Actually the 74th ones don't look too bad. The Fg ones are missing black paint by the windows, are slow, and seem really beat up. #6578 when you press the gas struggles to get to speed, it's like the bus is fighting back LOL!! (maybe a bad trans) Probably the #6756-#6818 ones have the highest miles because they have barely had a rest for 12 years!!

Nooooo arthouwilll also posted that he drove a nova and the words are exactly the same as you posted so I was confused and trying to figure who actually drove one lol (dont wanna give congrats to wrong person) lol. But no that thats solved.... congrats!!

Guess what guys.....I DROVA NOVA!!! Get it?? Lol but today I did it was 6611 out of 74th for my recertification which we have to do every 2yrs of course. I know that bus is the oldest in the fleet but they drive pretty good and I was hoping to God that I would be able to actually drive one before they were all retired and now I can officially say that I have and put that under my belt lol. I now have officially drove every bus in the current fleet for the exception of the 800 and 900 series which are the same as the 1000's so it still counts lol. Just wanted to share that with you guys I'm obviously excited about it and wanted to share it with my fellow bus fans. Also got to see some really old buses at 77th I didn't even know they still had the fish bowls in their green limousine livery as well as a 4400 and 6000 series buses. Of course I got to see a few new Novas too one was behind us as I was pulling into 77th this morning couldn't get the number though wasnt close enough. But great day over all passed my test and I'm good for another 2yrs lol.

It is ALWAYS inspiring to hear someone enjoying what they do for a living, especially one of cta's finest! Here! Here!, Mr.cta85!!!!!

Nooooo arthouwilll also posted that he drove a nova and the words are exactly the same as you posted so I was confused and trying to figure who actually drove one lol (dont wanna give congrats to wrong person) lol. But no that thats solved.... congrats!!

No I never drove a Nova but a Chevy Nova. I copied his post and tried to delete part of it, but didn't do it correctily so it looked like I posted that I drove it.

Lol thanks guys no hard feelings lol

Yeah sorry about that Mr.cta85. Nice job, and congrats too!

I read the Random CTA thread more than any of the Bus threads, so I saw artthouwill's text first. But then I wandered over to this thread and noticed that you actually posted it first, so I got confused. Again, you have my sincerest apologies.

Yeah sorry about that Mr.cta85. Nice job, and congrats too!

I read the Random CTA thread more than any of the Bus threads, so I saw artthouwill's text first. But then I wandered over to this thread and noticed that you actually posted it first, so I got confused. Again, you have my sincerest apologies.

It's cool man honestly no biggie at all but thanks tho lol

Congrats. Both on your recertification and on now being able to say that being an operator for 103rd garage hasn't prevented you from being able to say you've driven all recent models of CTA buses both current and retired (except the 7900s since those are still new and only at one garage so far :lol: ). If your CTA career keeps you located at 103rd and not some other garage, maybe you' next recertification test wheel be at the wheel of a 7900 if art's point of the possibility that 77th doesn't keep 7900s on its roster doesn't [rove to be true. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

#6439 was not looking too good yesterday. It clearly has the worst seats of any nova I've seen. All the seats are worn grimy and breaking down on this one. Then the trans or a pump was wining when the bus goes down the street. I sitting there on this bus thinking why didn't CTA rotate the nova fleet like every two years. These low #6400's need to go. They look bad and reflect bad on the agency.

#6439 was not looking too good yesterday. It clearly has the worst seats of any nova I've seen. All the seats are worn grimy and breaking down on this one. Then the trans or a pump was wining when the bus goes down the street. I sitting there on this bus thinking why didn't CTA rotate the nova fleet like every two years. These low #6400's need to go. They look bad and reflect bad on the agency.

Maybe they thought having most of them at 77th all these years with the South Shops on hand right on the same property as the garage would mean they'd stay in tip top condition. Of course, it's obviously not the case. This is one reason I didn't initially think moving the 8 from the prior Kedzie/74th dual assignment was a great idea because it meant operating a heavily used bus route with the worst buses in the system since at that time 77th only had a relative handful of NFs.

Unsure if it should go here, or the 'breakdown' thread; but FG's 6784 was OoS eastbound on #77 Belmont @ Laramie Thursday afternoon. :o

That happened to be run F723 and it barely made it through the intersection. The bus was pulling into the stop and it just died (engine, lights, air conditioning). The operator tried to restart it for about a minute but nothing worked. At least the bus still had the orange hazard triangle to place in the road! :P

That happened to be run F723 and it barely made it through the intersection. The bus was pulling into the stop and it just died (engine, lights, air conditioning). The operator tried to restart it for about a minute but nothing worked. At least the bus still had the orange hazard triangle to place in the road! :P

Similar thing happened to another FG bus maybe a week or so, another up 6700 numbered Nova, on Irving Park at Clark going eastbound one morning. Looked like the bus made it at least one car length beyond the intersection before breaking down. It didn't completely die like the Belmont bus though since it still had internal lighting, but the bus definitely wasn't going anywhere under its own power during that instant since the operator placed an orange hazard triangle behind it.

Unsure if it should go here, or the 'breakdown' thread; but FG's 6784 was OoS eastbound on #77 Belmont @ Laramie Thursday afternoon. :o

Similar thing happened to another FG bus maybe a week or so, another up 6700 numbered Nova, on Irving Park at Clark going eastbound one morning. Looked like the bus made it at least one car length beyond the intersection before breaking down. It didn't completely die like the Belmont bus though since it still had internal lighting, but the bus definitely wasn't going anywhere under its own power during that instant since the operator placed an orange hazard triangle behind it.

Well if this keeps happening, CTA may be forced to assign 7900s to FG after 77th. However I still think 74th and Chicago will be the next two garages to see 7900s with FG being last.I

Well if this keeps happening, CTA may be forced to assign 7900s to FG after 77th. However I still think 74th and Chicago will be the next two garages to see 7900s with FG being last.I

They probably will get some 77th new flyers at fg or they may send those to 74th. But then fg would just pick up 74th's new flyers or there would be no reason to give them #7900's.

They probably will get some 77th new flyers at fg or they may send those to 74th. But then fg would just pick up 74th's new flyers or there would be no reason to give them #7900's.

Please no hints at a possibility FG gets nothing new. 5750 already gets livid enough quite understandably about FG currently having all retirement age buses as is.

• Upvote 1

Probably no different when FG had the Flyers and M.A.N Americanas. I don't know the percentage of these to the newer stock, but I know that's why the TMC's and Flxibles were brought in(also for ADA) and eventually the LED order of Novas(somewhere after 6709 initially-maybe 6750? to 6883).

Eventually, something different will be assigned to FG to alleviate some of the stress on the aging Nova fleet at FG. Be it New Flyers or the 7900's... something will be coming in the near future.

Probably no different when FG had the Flyers and M.A.N Americanas. I don't know the percentage of these to the newer stock, but I know that's why the TMC's and Flxibles were brought in(also for ADA) and eventually the LED order of Novas(somewhere after 6709 initially-maybe 6750? to 6883).

Eventually, something different will be assigned to FG to alleviate some of the stress on the aging Nova fleet at FG. Be it New Flyers or the 7900's... something will be coming in the near future.

As I mentioned to CTA5750, FG already had Flyer 9800s once before but had given them up to Limits when it got 5300s. It got them back again after the Fishbowls it had were moved to other garages and/or retired. And the Americanas being there were only a stopgap because the last of the 6400s to be delivered at that time were delayed for a few months, and CTA had retired the last few remaining 9800s. So FG at that time needed something to operate the 91 and 152. Now we're taking about a full garage roster of buses that eventually need to be replaced, so New Flyers alone won't really cut it.