6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Yeah, you right about that. Chicago Flxibles had it very bad when I was growing up. I hardly had any issues with FG's.

Just about every place I know (in and out of Chicago) the Flxibles had duct tape on the roof (essentially at the joint between the roof itself and the box for the destination sign).

When bus windows were flapping, there would be a lot of water coming in that way. Also CTA specs now call for an eyelet hole in the bottom of the seats as a drain; in the old days (plastic seats without inserts) water used to collect in the seats.

• Upvote 1

Why are they retiring these buses right now? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep them around until the new buses starting coming in more? They're going to mess around and be short of buses smh lol. Might have to bring the 6000's back if cta gets too short.

The question is whether the angst about the deliveries is justified. Also, I bet that as a driver, you don't want to take a wreck out on the street, so somebody can list it on The Breakdown Thread.

But all we currently know is that Garmon saw them in essentially the dead area. And not that many.

Why are they retiring these buses right now? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep them around until the new buses starting coming in more? They're going to mess around and be short of buses smh lol. Might have to bring the 6000's back if cta gets too short.

The question is whether the angst about the deliveries is justified. Also, I bet that as a driver, you don't want to take a wreck out on the street, so somebody can list it on The Breakdown Thread.

But all we currently know is that Garmon saw them in essentially the dead area. And not that many.

And I can't rule that they're done for good until 1. More coming in the yard consistently and/or 2. Seeing any parts stripped (windows are most helpful to determine a retirement).

A shot of #6465 and #6581 by retired #3722 (at least I saw some piece of history).

post-1364-0-55085800-1408504571_thumb.jp

I don't think there gone quite yet. #6507 came back, they most likely just have a service issue or need a little heavy maintenance. The only one that might be gone for real is #6647 because it's being stripped of parts. Now if we get a flood of #7900's, then maybe not. I'm starting to believe #6507 coming back was due to them not being able to retire it as they only have 10 possibly 11 #7900 buses here and that's not going to retire much as they don't feel confident in those yet to take that chance.

I don't think there gone quite yet. #6507 came back, they most likely just have a service issue or need a little heavy maintenance. The only one that might be gone for real is #6647 because it's being stripped of parts. Now if we get a flood of #7900's, then maybe not. I'm starting to believe #6507 coming back was due to them not being able to retire it as they only have 10 possibly 11 #7900 buses here and that's not going to retire much as they don't feel confident in those yet to take that chance.

Same thing with #6599. I'm going to start checking on them about 2-3 times a week to see if it consistent enough for them to be ready for retirement. So far, I only ruled #6647 retired thanks to the a window being removed despite it still have the Ventra reader inside.

Same thing with #6599. I'm going to start checking on them about 2-3 times a week to see if it consistent enough for them to be ready for retirement. So far, I only ruled #6647 retired thanks to the a window being removed despite it still have the Ventra reader inside.

I notice in your pictures, #6647 is on the fence. Same thing in the retired Novas pictured on the roster page. Are they all in the same area? Your reference that #6802 etc. is in the back sounds like they are in a different spot. The painting over of the license plate on #6507 sounds like it was destined to be gone but came back due to the slowness and unconfidence of the #7900's. #6606 seems too good to disappear yet as it was running good a week before it disappeared. CTA has painted scrap on buses before that may be a good indicator or the removal of fareboxes, license plates etc.

I notice in your pictures, #6647 is on the fence. Same thing in the retired Novas pictured on the roster page. Are they all in the same area? Your reference that #6802 etc. is in the back sounds like they are in a different spot. The painting over of the license plate on #6507 sounds like it was destined to be gone but came back due to the slowness and unconfidence of the #7900's. #6606 seems too good to disappear yet as it was running good a week before it disappeared. CTA has painted scrap on buses before that may be a good indicator or the removal of fareboxes, license plates etc.

The retired ones along with #6647 are by the fence. #6696 and #6702 were behind the retired ones along with 64XX. The rest including #6802 except #6465 and #6581 (far end of the yard by #3722) were by the artics and some NF 1000s in the middle of the back yard. #6494 #6606 and #6664 were no where to be found in the back.

How you figure that?

Going off reports that many of the recent 6400 retirements have been from 74th, and BusHunter had made the point those retirements overall have had no real replacements. Going off those fleet numbers of 74th retirements and a couple of transfers from 74th with no apparent bus given to 74th in return probably makes the current 6400 count at 74th about 5 or 6 buses higher than the NF count down from the 11 to 12 higher after 77th purged itself of 6400s.

I came across a rather interesting discussion on #6508 which was on the #76 yesterday. A passenger actually came up and told the operator that his transmission was grinding. I remember thinking to myself "but alot of those sound like that" :P , not really hearing the bus itself then I listened. It was whining a little, but the bus had good power and the AC was good. It kind of reminded me of the report I had of the whining trans on I believe one of #1590's out of Kedzie that was pulled, but that was much worse. Well anyway the operator said they would tell the garage about it, the passenger seemed concerned. He even asked if the operator was pulling in, which he was. Maybe with a little luck that older bus will be gone by the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I know some of y'all was curious about the damage of #6832. I wish I can take a shot of the front but I don't work for cta. So I've decide to take a shot through the back window (it wasn't easy because I had to stand on top of the steel barrier by the fence). It's not 100% of a clear shot because of my reflection in the background.

Also, #6412 and #6714 are on the chop block. #6412 has a brutal crack in the front and looks like a gun shot hole near the destination sign.

post-1364-0-57871500-1409787889_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-70368600-1409787907_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I know some of y'all was curious about the damage of #6832. I wish I can take a shot of the front but I don't work for cta. So I've decide to take a shot through the back window (it wasn't easy because I had to stand on top of the steel barrier by the fence). It's not 100% of a clear shot because of my reflection in the background.

Also, #6412 and #6714 are on the chop block. #6412 has a brutal crack in the front and looks like a gun shot hole near the destination sign.

wow, I'm surprised the front is still intact. Thought it would be more like #6610. Looks like the impact was right in front of the operator. Damn!! Nice work there Garmon!!
  • Upvote 2

wow, I'm surprised the front is still intact. Thought it would be more like #6610. Looks like the impact was right in front of the operator. Damn!! Nice work there Garmon!!

Thanks! I was intrigued when I saw the impact by the front door. I'm trying to figure out if the destination sign was hanging near the driver's side.

#6407 and #6714 are at high risk of being retired. Both of their bike racks are removed and there's an undisclosed problem of #6714's engine. #6431 and #6713 are parked by them. Also, I got a chance to see the front of #6832 but at a far distance because I was on 77th. The front is graphically brutal. Maybe if I can find some binoculars then I can get a nice close up of it.

• Upvote 1

#6407 and #6714 are at high risk of being retired. Both of their bike racks are removed and there's an undisclosed problem of #6714's engine. #6431 and #6713 are parked by them. Also, I got a chance to see the front of #6832 but at a far distance because I was on 77th. The front is graphically brutal. Maybe if I can find some binoculars then I can get a nice close up of it.

6832 hit a cantilevered I beam "right in the forehead" and the driver was killed, so it wasn't going to be pretty.

Story starts about here. 8 years later, bus is still in the yard.

My concern is, why #6832 isn't scrapped? 8 years??? My goodness......

Either there still is an insurance investigation (unlikely, since the driver's family would only be entitled to workers' comp) or it may be the oft repeated one that it hasn't (at least up to this moment, but might in a couple of days) reached the FTA life, it sits in the yard (sort of like several Pace buses did).

Seeing that 6412 is based out of 74th, it seems to be that they have started shooting buses as well as each other in Englewood

Seeing that 6412 is based out of 74th, it seems to be that they have started shooting buses as well as each other in Englewood

Who's to say that damage even came from Englewood? Given that 74th operates the 9, 49 and 94, It could have gotten that damage in Lawndale, near Humboldt Park (which the 94 operates near at its northernmost end), the Rockwell Gardens area, near the eastern part of Little Village (again in the case of the 94), Back of the Yards, somewhere near Kelly High School, Gage Park or any other the other areas those three routes pass through that have problems with shootings if that's even gun damage looking at how the destination sign appears to still be intact when one would that that would have some type of damage too if a bullet did it.

• Upvote 2

Who's to say that damage even came from Englewood? Given that 74th operates the 9, 49 and 94, It could have gotten that damage in Lawndale, near Humboldt Park (which the 94 operates near at its northernmost end), the Rockwell Gardens area, near the eastern part of Little Village (again in the case of the 94), Back of the Yards, somewhere near Kelly High School, Gage Park or any other the other areas those three routes pass through that have problems with shootings if that's even gun damage looking at how the destination sign appears to still be intact when one would that that would have some type of damage too if a bullet did it.

That's why I didn't say a damn word after that misconception....(not you)

I think this time you are right on with these retirements. Something has definitely changed this week with the #7900's. They are way more random and running in the off peak and they are receiving them faster and putting them into service like more are coming. This might make sense with the #6526 sighting cause fg is losing buses. Looks like the game plan is let 74th borrow, give fg novas and chicago I can't figure out. Not only have they lost nf's now they are losing novas? The gunshot on #6412 is going to support any notions of an operator shield there so they will probably get nf's ahead of novas.