6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

I think this time you are right on with these retirements. Something has definitely changed this week with the #7900's. They are way more random and running in the off peak and they are receiving them faster and putting them into service like more are coming. This might make sense with the #6526 sighting cause fg is losing buses. Looks like the game plan is let 74th borrow, give fg novas and chicago I can't figure out. Not only have they lost nf's now they are losing novas? The gunshot on #6412 is going to support any notions of an operator shield there so they will probably get nf's ahead of novas.

Also, I been seeing 74th and FG Novas consistently going in and out of the shop (inside) because of braking problems and other undisclosed reasons. By the way, #6494 and #6664 were back in service this week and #6649 is out of service parked in the front but something doesn't seem right with that bus.

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for a NB Ashland tonight, and while waiting I hear what sounds like a Peterbilt or Mack Truck engine(very snorty sound and loud turbo whine). It turns out it was a Nova sounding like this!!! I checked the tracker quickly and it appears that this very noisy bus is #6625. I don't know if it's just exhaust being loose or broken that's making the bus sound like this, or the Cummins ISC is on it's last legs. garmon, BusHunter, watch the rosters over the next couple days/weeks.... 6625 may be retired soon if this is indeed a serious engine problem.

A retired 6800-series is at Skokie Maintenance Facility

The only confirmed 6800 that is retired is 6832. Being a Maintenance Facility, it might just be there for a band aid/duct tape patch job to keep it running for now as the 7900's are being processed and assigned to 77th and FG(100% Nova) and 74th(51-52% Nova) need patchwork on these buses to keep their fleets alive with no sign of New Flyers being assigned to start relieving the pressure at these garages or 7900's beginning to roll one of their ways.

The 6400's(even 6709-6883) are showing their age operating day in/day out with high mileage on them on some of the busiest routes both FG and 74th have to assign them to(#56 Milwaukee an example for FG and #9 Ashland an example for 74th). They're still chugging along, but look at my post here.... they're struggling and many are starting to drop like flies. These buses are operating with no mid-life rehab... just a repair/replace method of maintenance. That Cummins ISC powerplant is still pretty much stock from when these buses came in 2000-2002 and while many parts have been replaced over their years of service, the actual heart of the bus is still all original... no rehab/rebuild.

I was waiting for a NB Ashland tonight, and while waiting I hear what sounds like a Peterbilt or Mack Truck engine(very snorty sound and loud turbo whine). It turns out it was a Nova sounding like this!!! I checked the tracker quickly and it appears that this very noisy bus is #6625. I don't know if it's just exhaust being loose or broken that's making the bus sound like this, or the Cummins ISC is on it's last legs. garmon, BusHunter, watch the rosters over the next couple days/weeks.... 6625 may be retired soon if this is indeed a serious engine problem.

I rode the earlier in the evening and the bus in question was indeed 6625. I spotted it while waiting to make my connection to the 22 from the 9 at Clark/Irving Park. The engine did indeed sound horrible. I was glad I happened to be on one of 6625's leaders when I did ride on the 9.

The only confirmed 6800 that is retired is 6832. Being a Maintenance Facility, it might just be there for a band aid/duct tape patch job to keep it running for now as the 7900's are being processed and assigned to 77th and FG(100% Nova) and 74th(51-52% Nova) need patchwork on these buses to keep their fleets alive with no sign of New Flyers being assigned to start relieving the pressure at these garages or 7900's beginning to roll one of their ways.

The 6400's(even 6709-6883) are showing their age operating day in/day out with high mileage on them on some of the busiest routes both FG and 74th have to assign them to(#56 Milwaukee an example for FG and #9 Ashland an example for 74th). They're still chugging along, but look at my post here.... they're struggling and many are starting to drop like flies. These buses are operating with no mid-life rehab... just a repair/replace method of maintenance. That Cummins ISC powerplant is still pretty much stock from when these buses came in 2000-2002 and while many parts have been replaced over their years of service, the actual heart of the bus is still all original... no rehab/rebuild.

Actually running Novas 24/7 is more true of FG with it having nothing but Novas than it is 74th. Despite a few recent sightings of 74th Novas in overnight owl service on a few of the 24 hour 74th assigned routes, 74th leans on its NFs to do overnight service. The recent Nova sightings doing so were because of 74th being short on buses recently. Outside of that if you're riding on an overnight run from 74th Garage, you will pretty much always be riding on a New Flyer since Novas at 74th get parked overnight.

I rode the earlier in the evening and the bus in question was indeed 6625. I spotted it while waiting to make my connection to the 22 from the 9 at Clark/Irving Park. The engine did indeed sound horrible. I was glad I happened to be on one of 6625's leaders when I did ride on the 9.

Actually running Novas 24/7 is more true of FG with it having nothing but Novas than it is 74th. Despite a few recent sightings of 74th Novas in overnight owl service on a few of the 24 hour 74th assigned routes, 74th leans on its NFs to do overnight service. The recent Nova sightings doing so were because of 74th being short on buses recently. Outside of that if you're riding on an overnight run from 74th Garage, you will pretty much always be riding on a New Flyer since Novas at 74th get parked overnight.

Yeah, I'd watch the dead lot where all the other removed from revenue buses are at. I got a feeling 6625 will be joining them real soon.

Nova 6832 at Skokie Shops. Also, some detailed bus maintenance are performed at the Skokie Shops as well.

I know I'm not looking at 6832 here... that bus has a pretty messed up front end after the accident with the viaduct in 2006(see attached photo from garmon). It's not going to re-enter service, so why would it be up there rather then at South Shops where it's been sitting since the accident?

Which bus is this one in the picture?

a Nova 6800 at Skokie Shops. Also, some detailed bus maintenance are performed at the Skokie Shops as well.

Ok, that's a possibility... 6800 is still active.

post-10-0-54733700-1410749214_thumb.jpg

#6611 Has that same engine issue as #6625, Theirs only a few buses that I feel that will make it until mid or late 2015 out of 74th (If there not moved up north B) .) will be #6627-34,#6637,#6642-45,#6651-53,#6666-74 and #6686-90. I really do love #6637, its one of the best sounding well kept novas I've been on out of 74th throughout its time being there.

That was in service last week on the #9.

I rode #6640 on the #49. It has the new "this bus kneels" arrow decal at the front. Whenever the driver applied the brakes, the bus made this rubbery squealing sound. And the little compartment above the left front wheel was wide open, and I briefly saw this little machine inside. I wonder what it is. :huh:

I rode #6640 on the #49. It has the new "this bus kneels" arrow decal at the front. Whenever the driver applied the brakes, the bus made this rubbery squealing sound. And the little compartment above the left front wheel was wide open, and I briefly saw this little machine inside. I wonder what it is. :huh:

Isn't that where the server to the camera system is located on the 6400s?

#6407 and #6714 are at high risk of being retired. Both of their bike racks are removed and there's an undisclosed problem of #6714's engine. #6431 and #6713 are parked by them. Also, I got a chance to see the front of #6832 but at a far distance because I was on 77th. The front is graphically brutal. Maybe if I can find some binoculars then I can get a nice close up of it.

#6714 is back at Forest Glen and working on 77 Belmont this afternoon and evening. B)

• Upvote 1

Is that what that is? I honestly didn't know there was anything in there. I only see what ads are placed when the server case is closed.

Yeah if I'm not mistaken that's what that is. On all the NF buses (800s, 900s, 1000s and the artics), it's easier to distinguish the central camera controllers' location because they all have that big cabinet like structure above the wheel well behind the operator's seat instead of a set of a set of passenger seats like on the 6400s. Because Nova placed passenger seats in front of and just above the left wheel well, that camera controller/server is indicated by that small box like structure.

• 2 weeks later...

So i wonder why we haven't heard about any #6400 retirements? We are 43 buses into the #7900 order and we still are keeping these around. The only reason I can think of is that there seems to be a high number of buses at south shops getting rehabbed and they feel they could use the spare buses.

So i wonder why we haven't heard about any #6400 retirements? We are 43 buses into the #7900 order and we still are keeping these around. The only reason I can think of is that there seems to be a high number of buses at south shops getting rehabbed and they feel they could use the spare buses.

if it were up to me I wouldn't retire any of the 6400's until all of the new novas are here. Just to make sure cta isn't short on buses cause you still have the rehabs going on with the 1000 series. So I would just wait till the dust has settled until I retire the 6400's.

if it were up to me I wouldn't retire any of the 6400's until all of the new novas are here. Just to make sure cta isn't short on buses cause you still have the rehabs going on with the 1000 series. So I would just wait till the dust has settled until I retire the 6400's.

But then you need somewhere to store 300 more buses, and as documented, Archer was flattened.

As it is, not even counting 7900s, CTA is up about 50 buses (99 4300s, less 45 Optimas and other miscellaneous junk). Thus, at the moment it is up about 100 buses, including 7900s.

Some Novas, of course, have been retired, to Olive Harvey and work buses.

Maybe the more relevant question is why there haven't been mass bus moves out of 77th, which, for instance, could be used to retire Novas at 74 and FG.