Jump to content
sw4400

6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yep the only reason some active ones went to 77th is because to make storage for the bunch of flyers FG got from all garages 

 

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

FG still has some in the yard. I was under the impression they were all being withdrawn from service earlier than planned 

Well some active ones were sent back while others are scattered across south shops getting work done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yep the only reason some active ones went to 77th is because to make storage for the bunch of flyers FG got from all garages 

I know that's why every garage got some Nova's parked for FG to make room 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would happen to all the garages if the 6400s never went back in service when bus service across the board goes back to normal and no new buses are ordered? What would all the garages be forced to do? CTAs been through the situation with Nabi, I think CTA can handle being short like 70 buses and be able to move bus routes around if they have to. There are a surplus of artics, possibly make some NP routes 100 percent artics at all times and that’s about 30 1000s NP can give up. NP has enough artics to make the 22, 135, 136, 146, 147, 148, 151 all artics with no 40 footers at all. Possibly run some artics on the 50 at all times too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Javi78 said:

What would happen to all the garages if the 6400s never went back in service when bus service across the board goes back to normal and no new buses are ordered? What would all the garages be forced to do? CTAs been through the situation with Nabi, I think CTA can handle being short like 70 buses and be able to move bus routes around if they have to. There are a surplus of artics, possibly make some NP routes 100 percent artics at all times and that’s about 30 1000s NP can give up. NP has enough artics to make the 22, 135, 136, 146, 147, 148, 151 all artics with no 40 footers at all. Possibly run some artics on the 50 at all times too.

Not sure they have enough to do all those if the 134, 136 and/or 148 are active as well, but overall I think it was pointed out that if the 6400s didn't go back into service, at most what would happen is some garages would need to send FG a couple buses and there might be more rotating of buses. FG was the only garage that used the 6400s anyway and not even all of them. I'm happy to be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not sure they have enough to do all those if the 134, 136 and/or 148 are active as well, but overall I think it was pointed out that if the 6400s didn't go back into service, at most what would happen is some garages would need to send FG a couple buses and there might be more rotating of buses. FG was the only garage that used the 6400s anyway and not even all of them. I'm happy to be wrong.

If you've noticed how all businesses are using shields, if they don't get shields on the buses they are probably done. I don't expect them back. We should be getting the electrics soon. That will retire a few. There's no need for them now until school goes back, and we don't know when that will be. They could probably do a pick where they could change a few routes around and they would be ok. Can't help but wonder if all the running of the buses will end up with a budget shortfall. Realistically, we might be hearing about service cuts for budget year 2021 and if that happens they may lose not only the #6400's but a few #1000's as well. Still alot hasn't happened yet to there finances, the sales tax revenue they rely on is a few months behind. It's definitely going to be an interesting future. Like 911, some things may change permanently. More jobs will probably work from home. The internet could make mass gatherings like schools a thing of the past. Alot will depend on what happens in the fall, but you can't deny the infrastructure is slowly getting in place to do just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

If you've noticed how all businesses are using shields, if they don't get shields on the buses they are probably done. I don't expect them back. We should be getting the electrics soon. That will retire a few. There's no need for them now until school goes back, and we don't know when that will be. They could probably do a pick where they could change a few routes around and they would be ok. Can't help but wonder if all the running of the buses will end up with a budget shortfall. Realistically, we might be hearing about service cuts for budget year 2021 and if that happens they may lose not only the #6400's but a few #1000's as well. Still alot hasn't happened yet to there finances, the sales tax revenue they rely on is a few months behind. It's definitely going to be an interesting future. Like 911, some things may change permanently. More jobs will probably work from home. The internet could make mass gatherings like schools a thing of the past. Alot will depend on what happens in the fall, but you can't deny the infrastructure is slowly getting in place to do just that.

I think CTA had to borrow to keep running.  NYMTA got an infusion of federal aid and they are asking for $4 billion more.  I also believe they had to borrow money. CTA is only collecting fares from rail passengers at this point.  That's a serious blow during a time when ridership has nosedived during this time

  NYMTA has lost 90% of its ridership in a city heavily dependent on transit.  NYMTA also has a high number of employees with COVID-19. 

The way things are going, America is in for a transportation collapse.  Not only is public transportation at risk, air travel is also at risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

If you've noticed how all businesses are using shields, if they don't get shields on the buses they are probably done. I don't expect them back. We should be getting the electrics soon. That will retire a few. There's no need for them now until school goes back, and we don't know when that will be. They could probably do a pick where they could change a few routes around and they would be ok. Can't help but wonder if all the running of the buses will end up with a budget shortfall. Realistically, we might be hearing about service cuts for budget year 2021 and if that happens they may lose not only the #6400's but a few #1000's as well. Still alot hasn't happened yet to there finances, the sales tax revenue they rely on is a few months behind. It's definitely going to be an interesting future. Like 911, some things may change permanently. More jobs will probably work from home. The internet could make mass gatherings like schools a thing of the past. Alot will depend on what happens in the fall, but you can't deny the infrastructure is slowly getting in place to do just that.

Your last sentence could not be more true. In addition to that I think we are going to see flux of downtown office space for sale or converted to apts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think CTA had to borrow to keep running.  NYMTA got an infusion of federal aid and they are asking for $4 billion more.  I also believe they had to borrow money. CTA is only collecting fares from rail passengers at this point.  That's a serious blow during a time when ridership has nosedived during this time

  NYMTA has lost 90% of its ridership in a city heavily dependent on transit.  NYMTA also has a high number of employees with COVID-19. 

The way things are going, America is in for a transportation collapse.  Not only is public transportation at risk, air travel is also at risk.

Cta has borrowed 40 million for operating. It loses 4 million a day on operations in it's current state. 40 mill is the max they can borrow. It's up to the feds to save them but Pritzker is getting ppe from China himself if that's any indication of a federal response. Theres too many hungry mouths at the dinner table and you can only feed so many. The longer this goes on the more likely we will see a collapse. 

Had an interesting conversation in my uber car with a city of chicago meter maid/ticket writer. He said they are only working one day a week and getting paid for 5. Man the city of Chicago sure knows how to waste money. Guess they are not worried they can always raise taxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sht6131 said:

Your last sentence could not be more true. In addition to that I think we are going to see flux of downtown office space for sale or converted to apts.

Possibly. I was watching a documentary about the evolution of technology and artificial intelligence  they said something that struck a chord with me. They said the more technology evolves the less we do as humans. The computers are slowly taking over and we are doing less whether it's working on an auto assembly line, grocery shopping online, order an uber on an app that picks you up and drops you at your destination, robotics assisting in surgeries. Pretty soon us humans wont have anything to do. The scary part is when A. I. takes over. It's a real life rise of the machines. And guess what they cant catch Covid-19 either!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Cta has borrowed 40 million for operating. It loses 4 million a day on operations in it's current state. 40 mill is the max they can borrow. It's up to the feds to save them but Pritzker is getting ppe from China himself if that's any indication of a federal response. Theres too many hungry mouths at the dinner table and you can only feed so many. The longer this goes on the more likely we will see a collapse. 

Had an interesting conversation in my uber car with a city of chicago meter maid/ticket writer. He said they are only working one day a week and getting paid for 5. Man the city of Chicago sure knows how to waste money. Guess they are not worried they can always raise taxes. 

Im sure the mayor will address this at a later time. If and when things die down. Like most of us, she sure isnt a fan of big waste. IMO, the meter maids should go away. Theyre so corrupt for one thing! Ive had some bad encounters with them for writing illegal tickets. Not going off topic, but they should be gone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Im sure the mayor will address this at a later time. If and when things die down. Like most of us, she sure isnt a fan of big waste. IMO, the meter maids should go away. Theyre so corrupt. 

Yea fuck them meter maids 1 gave me a now I got a ticket or being parked at a fire hydrant which I didn't trip about that but I cussed her out for not writing jumpout Boyz a ticket for being parked at the fire hydrant which it wasn't a emergency they was on lunch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea fuck them meter maids 1 gave me a now I got a ticket or being parked at a fire hydrant which I didn't trip about that but I cussed her out for not writing jumpout Boyz a ticket for being parked at the fire hydrant which it wasn't a emergency they was on lunch 

Again with the language.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea fuck them meter maids 1 gave me a now I got a ticket or being parked at a fire hydrant which I didn't trip about that but I cussed her out for not writing jumpout Boyz a ticket for being parked at the fire hydrant which it wasn't a emergency they was on lunch 

Yeah things have gotten so bad on chicago streets I dont want to park on them. I look for parking lots and risk the tow. For the most part though I do most of my business in the suburbs. Paid 1.36 for gas today. (Whoa I was just looking at the gas prices Kenosha, wisconsin's gas is .99 cents at most stations at least 5 including the Sam's club!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah things have gotten so bad on chicago streets I dont want to park on them. I look for parking lots and risk the tow. For the most part though I do most of my business in the suburbs. Paid 1.36 for gas today. (Whoa I was just looking at the gas prices Kenosha, wisconsin's gas is .99 cents at most stations at least 5 including the Sam's club!!)

1 of the guys that's subbed to my YouTube channel said he paid 69cent for gas in Milwaukee & yea I hate them also hard to find free parking this 1 of the reasons I miss my Crown Vic I use to park wherever I wanted too & it wouldn't be a problem can't do that in the sonata 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The light setups in these old Novas are funny 😂.I rode 6803 today, the headlights in the front were off but all the interior lights were on, even the front ones. On OMSI 2 I learned that when the headlights are off but the interior lights on, only the first bank of lights on each side are off but the rest are on. In July, I rode 6784 and all the interior lights were off but the headlights were on. Also what I noticed is that the rear light placement is interesting too. On 6784, both rear red lights are like 2 inches away from the end of each other. But on 6776, they are like 5 inches apart, which is real interesting. This is the most interesting fleet in the CTA and I wonder what other buses have silly and interesting sightings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The light setups in these old Novas are funny 😂.I rode 6803 today, the headlights in the front were off but all the interior lights were on, even the front ones. On OMSI 2 I learned that when the headlights are off but the interior lights on, only the first bank of lights on each side are off but the rest are on. In July, I rode 6784 and all the interior lights were off but the headlights were on. Also what I noticed is that the rear light placement is interesting too. On 6784, both rear red lights are like 2 inches away from the end of each other. But on 6776, they are like 5 inches apart, which is real interesting. This is the most interesting fleet in the CTA and I wonder what other buses have silly and interesting sightings.

That is intresting. Next time I see a old nova I'll look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The light setups in these old Novas are funny 😂.I rode 6803 today, the headlights in the front were off but all the interior lights were on, even the front ones. On OMSI 2 I learned that when the headlights are off but the interior lights on, only the first bank of lights on each side are off but the rest are on. In July, I rode 6784 and all the interior lights were off but the headlights were on. Also what I noticed is that the rear light placement is interesting too. On 6784, both rear red lights are like 2 inches away from the end of each other. But on 6776, they are like 5 inches apart, which is real interesting. This is the most interesting fleet in the CTA and I wonder what other buses have silly and interesting sightings.

I have never driven a Nova, so I can't say what the set up is for sure.  I don't know if there buses came with daytime running lamps standard.  My guess is that the New Flyers are. In the old buses,  the outer lights were operated from the run control.  One turn notch was the engine running and the next notch activated the headlights,  rails and the markers.   I think the run position also operaed the markers only.  The interior lights operated on a different switch altogether, usually marked dome 

As far as the positions if the lights outside. That may have to do with repairs where sections of a bus are replaced with parts from another bus.  The panels may come from another Niva, or could come from a New Flyer and customized to fit. I've seen side panels on buses where the striping was slightly off compared with the rest of the bus 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I have never driven a Nova, so I can't say what the set up is for sure.  I don't know if there buses came with daytime running lamps standard.  My guess is that the New Flyers are. In the old buses,  the outer lights were operated from the run control.  One turn notch was the engine running and the next notch activated the headlights,  rails and the markers.   I think the run position also operaed the markers only.  The interior lights operated on a different switch altogether, usually marked dome 

As far as the positions if the lights outside. That may have to do with repairs where sections of a bus are replaced with parts from another bus.  The panels may come from another Niva, or could come from a New Flyer and customized to fit. I've seen side panels on buses where the striping was slightly off compared with the rest of the bus 

What's really mind blowing is the running of buses with flip dot signs still. The green ones. Saw one today on addison you couldnt even read the destination. Then the supervisor was over checking on #6678. #6784 was there too at the hip turnaround. Why would fg even run those on the weekends? The buses have got a gazillion miles. By me we havent even run the old buses since March. The maintenance is good too. Only have needed the mechanics for a flat tire. Work smart not hard!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

What's really mind blowing is the running of buses with flip dot signs still. The green ones. Saw one today on addison you couldnt even read the destination. Then the supervisor was over checking on #6678. #6784 was there too at the hip turnaround. Why would fg even run those on the weekends? The buses have got a gazillion miles. By me we havent even run the old buses since March. The maintenance is good too. Only have needed the mechanics for a flat tire. Work smart not hard!!

Use em till they blow thats what cta doing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, CTA5750 said:

I dont know why it irks me everytime I see it. But this morning while waiting for a Pulse bus!,Yeah! A Pulse bus! YUKKKK! :)   I see 6730, I cant stand looking at where the side number is placed almost to the rear  It just looks like it dosent belong there!  LOL!  

6730's not the only one anymore🤣

IMG_4370.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

6730's not the only one anymore🤣

IMG_4370.JPG

I seen that a few days ago when 6803 was running the 85 at north & Central but I didnt have my phone out nor going that way so I knew I would see it again or someone else would

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...