NABIs Pulled from Service

Kevin

LOL Yea! Tmc and 5300s back in service!

Wrong on that one since they've been shredded, the TMCs anyway, and what's left of the TMCs went to Peoria. 6400s, 1000s, and 4000s are taking up the slack where NABIs would normally be used today. 6542 and 6556 are on the 156 right now with Kedzie's 4000s and 1000s as one example. If anything it's created an even bigger bus scramble of buses being on routes not from their home garage (as of earlier today that is).

Doesn't necessarily mean they will be resurrected.

They won't be... the CTA already said they have a shortage of buses now, but they are using 6400's, 1000's, and 4000's to fill the void, in addition to extra rail service.

I'd like to see the TMC's make a return, but they done their duties... 19-20 years of service is more than enough for them.

OT: Let's try to keep this topic on topic... let's take this talk to another thread, ok?

Maybe the NABI's deserve this, maybe not(I'm leaning towards not), but it is a proper sendoff song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74s3FcrLjc

If the nabis dont go back in service soon,U are saying we are going to be 200 buses down. I dont think so if the tmc and flxs we have left at south shops run i bet u see them. I dont think cta is going to run 200 buses down knowing there have some buses that can be used! But i forgot i dont have 1000+ post on here!

I wonder if the CTA will get reimbursed for the NABI's, and what will happen to these buses now. Will they just be scrapped, or will the FTA take some and rip them apart for investigative purposes?

ABC 7 just gave me a scare... they were showing images of the DE60LF's!!! :o

CTA has a lawsuit against Nabi basically since they got the Buses new. I think I mentioned before about Nabi's coming in with cracked frames and I basically got yelled at by a very few people here and being acused of being a "disgruntled retired employee". CTA knew these buses were bad as soon as they were coming in, but due to the contract with any bus company they cannot just "stop" taking delivery. Unfortunatly this makes CTA look even better for their lawsuit since they now have major proof of the bus being a problem. CTA cannot by law just "scrap" a bus before its time. This gives them the excuse to "park" the bus and get away with it. CTA inspected more Nabis during the last 2 days and found problems with many more. The one that cracked was obvious, further inspection discovered more on their way to cracking completely through. They would not have told the public about the one that cracked but word got out from the inside, and when they found problems with more they couldnt hide the fact that they had to pull 200 buses off the street for no reason. Believe me ... CTA tried to hide this from the public. It goes back to the cutting mechanics jobs because we have "new buses theory". That means we have New Buses, nothing goes wrong, they fix themself (acording to Huberman) so we can cut Mechanics. There are not enough people to maintain the buses because managers cut jobs in the garages, maintenance on the bus dont get done, and this is the result. As far as the FTA ..... No, they will not get involved. People didnt get hurt (Thank God) so they will not be stepping in. I wont get into any details since I have posted many times before about the problems with buses and they way managers run their garages.

But i forgot i dont have 1000+ post on here!

I apologize for going OT here, but I feel it is necessary...

I don't really know where you're going here with this quote, cta 5555... But I don't think jajuan(1,181 posts) meant anything by his post, and I know I(615 posts) surely didn't! Busjack hasn't added his 2 cents' worth...yet :o , and Kevin(375 posts) said nothing about your post. Please enlighten us as to what you meant here... we are currently the only big guys, post-wise, on here.

If the nabis dont go back in service soon,U are saying we are going to be 200 buses down. I dont think so if the tmc and flxs we have left at south shops run i bet u see them. I dont think cta is going to run 200 buses down knowing there have some buses that can be used! But i forgot i dont have 1000+ post on here!

Just in terms of artics, it's a 215 (the 15 NABIs already reported retired+200 pulled off the road today)-94 (number of 4000s delivered)=121 bus shortage. I'm taking into account that those 94, and eventually the remaining 56 to be delivered, had to replace something anyway, be it 5800s and some 6000s as originally planned or as the plan apparently became just last month, the 150 + mystery 58 to replace NABIs.

Wrong on that one since they've been shredded, the TMCs anyway, and what's left of the TMCs went to Peoria. 6400s, 1000s, and 4000s are taking up the slack where NABIs would normally be used today. 6542 and 6556 are on the 156 right now with Kedzie's 4000s and 1000s as one example. If anything it's created an even bigger bus scramble of buses being on routes not from their home garage (as of earlier today that is).

As I noted a couple of weeks ago, there were then numerous 4400s, 5300s, and 5800s in the Perry Yard. Not shredded yet, as of then.

However, since they are in the Perry Yard, I wouldn't put money on those coming back.

Also, since CTA mentioned in their announcement about 12 year warranties, not clear that pulling them off the street is to retire them, or like the Pace Grummons in 1980--pull them off, inspect them, and put them back on.

However, the Press Release saying that CTA is 90 short, would sort of square with there being about 200 NABIs and 94 NFs having been received.

By the way, the news story did not have the link to the official announcement: here it is.

I apologize for going OT here, but I feel it is necessary...

I don't really know where you're going here with this quote, cta 5555... But I don't think jajuan(1,181 posts) meant anything by his post, and I know I(615 posts) surely didn't! Busjack hasn't added his 2 cents' worth...yet :o , and Kevin(375 posts) said nothing about your post. Please enlighten us as to what you meant here... we are currently the only big guys, post-wise, on here.

No I didn't. I was thinking in terms any 5300s and 4400s at the South Shops not set to be used as work buses, parts, or some other beneficial use would be defueled and rendered inoperable thinking back on past posts regarding retired bus models.

but i love the NABI buses, I wake up every saturday morning just to ride them,and when I don't have work,that's when I take the good routes.
Do you want to take the risk that one cracks open and dumps you on the street or careens into a pole? I suppose people like to buy law suits against the CTA.

ABC7 just reported that NABIs have all been taken down to 103rd garage for inspection. From what the info the CTA has given, for now the NABIs are just parked for the inspection. Whether they are pulled for good depends on the result of that inspection. They showed a photo provided by the bus driver's union which showed a crack in the joint of one NABI beneath the circular floor panels in the joint area of the bus.

CTA has a lawsuit against Nabi basically since they got the Buses new. I think I mentioned before about Nabi's coming in with cracked frames and I basically got yelled at by a very few people here and being acused of being a "disgruntled retired employee". CTA knew these buses were bad as soon as they were coming in, but due to the contract with any bus company they cannot just "stop" taking delivery. Unfortunatly this makes CTA look even better for their lawsuit since they now have major proof of the bus being a problem. CTA cannot by law just "scrap" a bus before its time. This gives them the excuse to "park" the bus and get away with it. CTA inspected more Nabis during the last 2 days and found problems with many more. The one that cracked was obvious, further inspection discovered more on their way to cracking completely through. They would not have told the public about the one that cracked but word got out from the inside, and when they found problems with more they couldnt hide the fact that they had to pull 200 buses off the street for no reason. Believe me ... CTA tried to hide this from the public. It goes back to the cutting mechanics jobs because we have "new buses theory". That means we have New Buses, nothing goes wrong, they fix themself (acording to Huberman) so we can cut Mechanics. There are not enough people to maintain the buses because managers cut jobs in the garages, maintenance on the bus dont get done, and this is the result. As far as the FTA ..... No, they will not get involved. People didnt get hurt (Thank God) so they will not be stepping in. I wont get into any details since I have posted many times before about the problems with buses and they way managers run their garages.

Sounds darn serious. Thank God there haven't been any accidents resulting from these defective buses. Now I'll bet there'll be longer waits for my #56...?

Routes that will be affected by removal of NABI's are the following:

#6: Jackson Park Express

#14: Jeffrey Express

#134: Stockton/LaSalle Express

#135: Clarendon/LaSalle Express

#136: Sheridan/LaSalle Express

#145: Wilson/Michigan Express

#146: Inner Drive/Michigan Express

#147: Outer Drive Express

#156: LaSalle

It doesn't mention #152 Addison, but I'm sure it'll be affected somewhat, as NABI's are used during the Lane Tech rush(before school and after), and during the Cubs Season(unless we get enough DE60LF's to cover by April). Because to replace the NABI's, you'd need several 40' buses, all bunched to handle the Cub Fans and the 300,000,000 kids(yeah, I know I'm stretching the truth quite a lot on this number, but it feels like this many) boarding the buses. I don't think we have enough New Flyer DE60LF's yet to cover all these routes plus the routes that use them part-time, like the aforementioned #152 Addison.

ABC7 just reported that NABIs have all been taken down to 103rd garage for inspection. From what the info the CTA has given, for now the NABIs are just parked for the inspection. Whether they are pulled for good depends on the result of that inspection. They showed a photo provided by the bus driver's union which showed a crack in the joint of one NABI beneath the circular floor panels in the joint area of the bus.

Thank god there haven't been any accidents resulting from this. Since these buses were used in heavily traveled routes like #14 and #147, there will definitely be longer waits for buses because buses from other garages will have to be moved around to make up for the shortage that now exists...

Sounds darn serious. Thank God there haven't been any accidents resulting from these defective buses. Now I'll bet there'll be longer waits for my #56...?

It's possible with FG buses helping to support NP express routes affected and Kedzie being helped out by Archer. Though the biggest effect would be to riders who use the routes given in the previous post that used a big number of articulated buses in their weekday operations. The later AM runs (generally in the 8am hour) of the 148 would likely be effected moreso than the earlier ones, since I've mainly been seeing NABIs on those trips with the other ones operated by NFs mostly with 3 or 4 6000s on average.

It's possible with FG buses helping to support NP express routes affected and Kedzie being helped out by Archer. Though the biggest effect would be to riders who use the routes given in the previous post that used a big number of articulated buses in their weekday operations. The later AM runs (generally in the 8am hour) of the 148 would likely be effected moreso than the earlier ones, since I've mainly been seeing NABIs on those trips with the other ones operated by NFs mostly with 3 or 4 6000s on average.

Currently #6801 and #6851 are on the #147, so adjacent garages are spreading out different buses to cover up the gap in service.

post-270-1235091294_thumb.jpg