CTA5750 Photo Gallery

Here is a pic of my dad's badge #8581, along side mine as well as my current Pace uniform badge. For display only, I have my dad's puncher, his old watch and bus/rail keys. I keep them secured in a wooden case only for my dad's memoribilia.

post-158-12958336789224_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958347647044_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958369581157_thumb.jpg

That's quite an interesting collection you have there! I, myself, don't work for the CTA(even though that was my dream job as a little boy)but I knew some people that did(and still do)BTW, did you get a chance to check out the old CTA Badges of the past on Ebay?

Yes, I do remember the Macks, they were running on the 85 Central during the 70's. I know they were old then but I never rode a bus with a bumpier ride then a Mack. I also remember riding the "new look" Flxible propanes, 8700-8850. Man, those things were sluggish! An 8500 felt like a rocket compared to one of the propanes!

Was oddball bus 8499 originally built with a "new look" front or was it converted? I read somewhere that is was originally propane powered but converted to a diesel, is this true?

You mean the Flxible "New-Look" Propane Buses 8700-8849(not 8850)

That's quite an interesting collection you have there! I, myself, don't work for the CTA(even though that was my dream job as a little boy)but I knew some people that did(and still do)BTW, did you get a chance to check out the old CTA Badges of the past on Ebay?

Thank you, I did look at the badge up for auction on Ebay, pretty interesting!

Here is a pic of my dad's badge #8581, along side mine as well as my current Pace uniform badge. For display only, I have my dad's puncher, his old watch and bus/rail keys. I keep them secured in a wooden case only for my dad's memoribilia.

post-158-12958336789224_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958347647044_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958369581157_thumb.jpg

Now, that's a real 1980s era CTA Badge! Wonder if your dad had the same number (8581)badge when he started with CTA in 1972? How long have you been with Pace?

Now, that's a real 1980s era CTA Badge! Wonder if your dad had the same number (8581)badge when he started with CTA in 1972? How long have you been with Pace?

Yes, #8581 was my dad's assigned badge number for his entire employment at CTA from 1972 to 1998. I remember he even had the old (green)CTA badge with the same number, I wish I could track it down. I have been driving Pace buses since 2007. I work as a Pace contract operator with Colonial Coach Lines based in Mt. Prospect.

Those are neat. BTW, with the report about the fake driver who had a CTA shirt, are there actually badges any more, or just shirt and coat patches?

Also, with regard to the Pace patch, I remember back a couple of years when Cook County Schoolbus had the 696-699 contract, and their drivers dressed like slobs. I then saw Highland Park drivers with the patch, and first wondered if Pace had taken over the operation of the routes, but looked closer and did see the little "City of Highland Park" on the patches. Apparently Pace wanted to improve its image on contract routes.

Those are neat. BTW, with the report about the fake driver who had a CTA shirt, are there actually badges any more, or just shirt and coat patches?

Also, with regard to the Pace patch, I remember back a couple of years when Cook County Schoolbus had the 696-699 contract, and their drivers dressed like slobs. I then saw Highland Park drivers with the patch, and first wondered if Pace had taken over the operation of the routes, but looked closer and did see the little "City of Highland Park" on the patches. Apparently Pace wanted to improve its image on contract routes.

Well all I can say is things havent changed!!! LOL!!! Most of our drivers at Academy dont wear uniform except for a Pace arm band with their assigned badge number, they dont really take the initiative to look more uniform. Myself and a couple of other drivers have taken the initiative to look like Pace drivers because thats how it should be. If were operating Pace buses we should look like Pace uniform drivers! I dont like seeing our drivers in street clothes wearing a velcro Pace band around their arm. It looks so unprofessional. Last summer I blew my top at a driver who shows up in his Hanes tank undershirt. You want to talk about looking like a total slob, this guy took the cake!!! :) He looked dirty! His Pace band was dirty and he is in an undershirt! unshaven, hair sloppy and he drives off in a Pace bus. I asked my supervisor why is he allowing this guy to drive off in a Pace bus looking the way he did? I think to myself what would the passengers think who ride his bus! Supervisor did nothing about it. Totally unprofessional!! We are authorized to purchase at the uniform store where CTA and Pace drivers buy their things. I go to the uniform store by Jeff. Pk. and get patches there. I ordered a sweater with the Pace patch sewn on. As for pants I use my fire dept. trousers which look identical to the Pace issue trousers. And my jacket, is my old CTA issue which I took off the CTA patch and had the Pace patch sewn on. My summer short slv. shirts are also old CTA issue as well.

Well all I can say is things havent changed!!! LOL!!! Most of our drivers at Academy are out of uniform...

I don't have a copy of the Academy contract, but the Westmont one says "Operators must display a clean, well groomed and neat appearance at all times and be attired in Pace approved uniforms," going on to describe what the standards the contractor's own uniform must meet, or if a company uniform is not provided, what the clothes shall be. It also mentions the Pace provided patch.

If things are as lax as you say, I suppose that Pace would have grounds to terminate the contract, although, with other cutbacks at Academy, maybe this is the least of their worries.

I don't have a copy of the Academy contract, but the Westmont one says "Operators must display a clean, well groomed and neat appearance at all times and be attired in Pace approved uniforms," going on to describe what the standards the contractor's own uniform must meet, or if a company uniform is not provided, what the clothes shall be. It also mentions the Pace provided patch.

If things are as lax as you say, I suppose that Pace would have grounds to terminate the contract, although, with other cutbacks at Academy, maybe this is the least of their worries.

Yes, you might be right, who knows how much longer we have until the contract is no more. Weve lost quite a few drivers and other staff in the last few months mainly because of pay issues and cutbacks. Colonial has become a pretty quiet place since the Feb, 2010 cuts. It hasnt been the same since, we lost DuPage Hospital, most of our Pace contract runs, we leased out some of our equipment such as our Setra coaches, were basically walking on eggs right now. Colonial was a busy place before, but now its a different story. As for me, Im hanging in there until the end. Things dont seem to be turning around.

Yes, #8581 was my dad's assigned badge number for his entire employment at CTA from 1972 to 1998. I remember he even had the old (green)CTA badge with the same number, I wish I could track it down. I have been driving Pace buses since 2007. I work as a Pace contract operator with Colonial Coach Lines based in Mt. Prospect.

I think collecting Old CTA Transit Badges is a good hobby, don't you think? Almost anyone can do it!

Well all I can say is things havent changed!!! LOL!!! Most of our drivers at Academy dont wear uniform except for a Pace arm band with their assigned badge number, they dont really take the initiative to look more uniform. Myself and a couple of other drivers have taken the initiative to look like Pace drivers because thats how it should be. If were operating Pace buses we should look like Pace uniform drivers! I dont like seeing our drivers in street clothes wearing a velcro Pace band around their arm. It looks so unprofessional. Last summer I blew my top at a driver who shows up in his Hanes tank undershirt. You want to talk about looking like a total slob, this guy took the cake!!! smile.gif He looked dirty! His Pace band was dirty and he is in an undershirt! unshaven, hair sloppy and he drives off in a Pace bus. I asked my supervisor why is he allowing this guy to drive off in a Pace bus looking the way he did? I think to myself what would the passengers think who ride his bus! Supervisor did nothing about it. Totally unprofessional!! We are authorized to purchase at the uniform store where CTA and Pace drivers buy their things. I go to the uniform store by Jeff. Pk. and get patches there. I ordered a sweater with the Pace patch sewn on. As for pants I use my fire dept. trousers which look identical to the Pace issue trousers. And my jacket, is my old CTA issue which I took off the CTA patch and had the Pace patch sewn on. My summer short slv. shirts are also old CTA issue as well.

And that's why it pays to look professional as a bus driver(because you're serving the public)the guy should know better than to look like that! That's embarrassing to the passengers and fellow bus drivers! BTW, did the CTA have badges from 1960 to 1987?

The absolute last day of revenue service was March 24, 1973, the last two routes (53 Pulaski & 54 Cicero) ended the same day,

but I can't tell you which one had the actual last bus.

Thanks,

Samana09

You can find them at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois!(Old CTA Trolleybuses, that is)

And that's why it pays to look professional as a bus driver(because you're serving the public)the guy should know better than to look like that! That's embarrassing to the passengers and fellow bus drivers! BTW, did the CTA have badges from 1960 to 1987?

It sure does!! Yes CTA had badges during the time period from 1960 to 1987. They varied from plastic to the current metal badges that were last issued around 2000. CTA no longer issues metal badges to bus operators since the badge numbers are now stitched on their bus uniform.

[edit]

I was saddened when the OHare L extension was almost complete in 1984 and the #40 was relegated to local service between River Rd. and the airport, I knew then that the routes days were numbered. Even the mylar bus signs were changed from red to black. The route was now called "#40 OHare". until Sept. 3, 1984 when the final segment from Rosemont to the airport was opened for service. I remember I was excited about riding the train to the airport on the first full day of service in what were then still brand new #2600 series rail cars. But Ill never forget the old #40, it was an awesome route, I have to say my favorite CTA route! To this day I still miss it! :)

One interesting sidenote about OHare bus service, I didn't know until a few years ago that at one time the airport was also served by the old Waukegan/North Chicago bus company. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that West Towns Bus co. also served the airport. I can only imagine how much more interesting the route was for both a CTA bus operator and passengers when it first began service from Logan Square station in 1970. I Think I would've loved to have been a bus operator driving the #40. That would have been my first pick! :)

One question, what garage operated the service from Logan Square?

I also rode the Blue Line "L" on its first day of service to O'Hare. I think CTA still offered holiday SuperTransfers then, and this was Labor Day. I rode it in the morning to O'Hare station, but didn't leave the platform. I rode it back to downtown, where I switched to the (nee) Red Line for a train to Addison. 3rd September 1984 is[|was] the last time a soccer game was played at Wrigley Field. (The STING defeated the Vancouver WHITECAPS by 2-0.)

The garage which operated the service from Logan Square was the former Chicago Motor Coach Keeler garage on Diversey Ave. It closed when CTA halted the remnant routings of buses downtown from the northwest side with the opening of the Blue Line to Jefferson Park.

BTW, you remember the old 8400 CTA propane buses? Did your dad ever drive one of those? Or the 7400s from 1973? I don't know if you have his old CTA badge number. You can order vintage CTA badges from ebay Click here on Ebay to check them out.

My dad, when he was with us, did tell me he drove the propanes a few times from North Ave., not sure whether 8400s or 5000s right around the time the first GMC 5307s arrived.

My dad, when he was with us, did tell me he drove the propanes a few times from North Ave., not sure whether 8400s or 5000s right around the time the first GMC 5307s arrived.

More than likely, it would have been the first set of propanes (under 5500). North Ave. propanes were pretty limited to Division and Armitage, (maybe also Laramie, North-Naragansett and other west extensions), and the former ran the remaining under 5500s until the 1400s came.

Otherwise, it was 3700s on Lake, and trolley buses on 53, 54, 65, 66, 72, 74, and 77.

20 and 131 were out of Kedzie then.

Also,if there were a breakdown thread then....

• 4 months later...

OK, Cta5750, you get a cool photo when you work in CFD, hope you will doing well in there. Are you a firefighter or are you a paramedic?

I am a Firefighter/EMT. I have been assigned to Truck Co. 48 at 16th/Pulaski on the West side for 6 years now.

BTW, you remember the old 8400 CTA propane buses?

I do.

The 8400s ran mostly out of Kedzie.

They also had "red bonnets" on the tops of the buses. The driver would pull a lever outside of the bus just above the service doors, and the sign would come up. It said: "SHUTTLE SERVICE". These buses ran mostly on the old 128, 142, 148, 149, 157, and midday 158. Other buses lived quietly in the 7, 7A (Adams), and the 126, 126A, and 127.

After Kedzie began getting their 1300s, the 8400s lived out the rest of their days at 69th Street, while a scant few went to North Park to become Evanston Buses.

I remember the 800's at Jeff Park doing the 40. After a short while, they were replaced by some

type of 3000 series bus, that I believe, also had air in it...that is what they were trying to

accomplish with these buses on that route was the a/c. There were ads (car cards/route maps/newspapers)

for the 40 to the airport using a pic of the 3000 series in them. Those series of buses remained on the 40

until the 7900's came, and those were exclusive to the 40 for a long time...you didn't see them

on other FG routes for years. Eventually, that would change and the 7900s became essentially

just another series on any route (probably when the L got extended to River Road).

800-804 were originally assigned to Beverly for the long forgotten VINCENNES EXPRESS.

That line was discontinued when the Dan Ryan rail opened.

Yes, then they went to Forest Glen for service on the 40.

The Flxibles you speak of were 3240-3244. These five were also air-conditioned. They were assigned to Archer to run service on the Archer Expressway routes. They were also reshuffled to The Glen.

... He told me he briefly drove some of the propanes, I remember him telling me once they were 8400s but I dont know what was assigned to North ave. at that time...

North Avenue had a number of 5000 series Twin Coaches. These were scuttled after the 14-1500s came in.

I'm thinking when Kedzie got their new Fishies (1300s), some of the 8400s went to North Avenue as well.

After the Kedzie explosion, what ever was left, came to 69th.