CTA5750 Photo Gallery

I do.

The 8400s ran mostly out of Kedzie.

They also had "red bonnets" on the tops of the buses. The driver would pull a lever outside of the bus just above the service doors, and the sign would come up. It said: "SHUTTLE SERVICE". These buses ran mostly on the old 128, 142, 148, 149, 157, and midday 158. Other buses lived quietly in the 7, 7A (Adams), and the 126, 126A, and 127.

After Kedzie began getting their 1300s, the 8400s lived out the rest of their days at 69th Street, while a scant few went to North Park to become Evanston Buses.

I noticed in a few photographs and videos Ive seen that the 8400s even made their way to Forest Glen in the early 70s.

what does EMT mean?

if i have time, i will see you by your firetruck.

is former 5858 and the other old GM bus in your firestation?

EMT stands for Emergency Medical Tehnician. We can administer medical assistance in the field. Its a position we hold in addition to our firefighter duties. As for the exCTA bus #5858, now CFD emergency oxygen bus 8-8-11, it is assigned to Engine Co.#107 at 1101 S. California. We did have a GMC fishbowl in the fire dept. which was assigned to the fire academy. The bus was an exCTA #7400 series bus. It suffered minor damage in a collision a couple of years ago and was subsequently scrapped. A bus collector, Bruce Zummo, was making arrangements to save the bus but those plans failed. In addition to the New Flyer bus, we also have an exCTA #4900 series 96in. RTS bus. Also, the CTA recently turned over three Flxible #6000s to the to fire dept. What their assignments will be is still not clear. The three buses currently sit at the City of Chicago Fleet Management yard at North av. Throop st. The RTS is currently assigned to the Chicago Fire Academy as a group transport vehicle. The CFD also had at one time many years ago an exCTA GM #300 series bus and a Twin Coach bus.

EMT stands for Emergency Medical Tehnician. We can administer medical assistance in the field. Its a position we hold in addition to our firefighter duties. As for the exCTA bus #5858, now CFD emergency oxygen bus 8-8-11, it is assigned to Engine Co.#107 at 1101 S. California. We did have a GMC fishbowl in the fire dept. which was assigned to the fire academy. The bus was an exCTA #7400 series bus. It suffered minor damage in a collision a couple of years ago and was subsequently scrapped. A bus collector, Bruce Zummo, was making arrangements to save the bus but those plans failed. In addition to the New Flyer bus, we also have an exCTA #4900 series 96in. RTS bus. Also, the CTA recently turned over three Flxible #6000s to the to fire dept. What their assignments will be is still not clear. The three buses currently sit at the City of Chicago Fleet Management yard at North av. Throop st. The RTS is currently assigned to the Chicago Fire Academy as a group transport vehicle. The CFD also had at one time many years ago an exCTA GM #300 series bus and a Twin Coach bus.

is the emergency oxygen bus for providing oxygens for the firefighters?

i remembered 4900 series buses are tmc or orion, what's the assignment of the bus?

what are the assignments of exCTA GM 300 series bus and twin coach bus?

is the emergency oxygen bus for providing oxygens for the firefighters?

i remembered 4900 series buses are tmc or orion, what's the assignment of the bus?

what are the assignments of exCTA GM 300 series bus and twin coach bus?

The emergency oxygen bus is provided for civilians involved in mass casualty incidents. It responds to all CTA subway incidents, EMS plan responses or high rise incidents. The exCTA #4900 is a TMC RTS bus which was one of the fifteen buses delivered to CTA to serve on the #16 Lake st. route where 96in. buses were the norm because of the clearance under the Lake st. Green Line L structure. As I stated before, the bus is assigned to the Chicago Fire Academy and is used to transport firefighter recruits. The exCTA #300 and Twin Coach buses have long been retired.

I do.

The 8400s ran mostly out of Kedzie.

They also had "red bonnets" on the tops of the buses. The driver would pull a lever outside of the bus just above the service doors, and the sign would come up. It said: "SHUTTLE SERVICE". These buses ran mostly on the old 128, 142, 148, 149, 157, and midday 158. Other buses lived quietly in the 7, 7A (Adams), and the 126, 126A, and 127.

After Kedzie began getting their 1300s, the 8400s lived out the rest of their days at 69th Street, while a scant few went to North Park to become Evanston Buses.

I remember those old things, too! What nice buses they were! Have you got a pic of them?

It sure does!! Yes CTA had badges during the time period from 1960 to 1987. They varied from plastic to the current metal badges that were last issued around 2000. CTA no longer issues metal badges to bus operators since the badge numbers are now stitched on their bus uniform.

Have you seen the new CTA Badges? They look like(or are similar to)the old CTA Badges issued in 1979! My friend showed me her badge with the "Line Instructor" on it! She's been driving CTA buses since either 1993 or 1994!

The emergency oxygen bus is provided for civilians involved in mass casualty incidents. It responds to all CTA subway incidents, EMS plan responses or high rise incidents. The exCTA #4900 is a TMC RTS bus which was one of the fifteen buses delivered to CTA to serve on the #16 Lake st. route where 96in. buses were the norm because of the clearance under the Lake st. Green Line L structure. As I stated before, the bus is assigned to the Chicago Fire Academy and is used to transport firefighter recruits. The exCTA #300 and Twin Coach buses have long been retired.

when were the lake street bus eliminated? is it for low ridership? are the terminals lake/michigan and harlem/lake green line?

Here is a pic of my dad's badge #8581, along side mine as well as my current Pace uniform badge. For display only, I have my dad's puncher, his old watch and bus/rail keys. I keep them secured in a wooden case only for my dad's memoribilia.

post-158-12958336789224_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958347647044_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958369581157_thumb.jpg

is 33576 your badge?

March 1973

Routes and dates operated are:-

12 Roosevelt Trolleybus 5/24/53 to 1/13/73

47 47th Trolleybus 3/12/52 to 6/20/65

51 51st Trolleybus 6/20/48 to 6/20/59

52 Kedzie-California (63rd-Chicago on Kedzie, Chicago-Elston on California) Trolleybus 12/4/55 to 3/15/69

53 Pulaski Trolleybus 9/16/51, Bus 3/24/73

54 Cicero Trolleybus 11/25/51, Bus 3/24/73

55A Elston North of Lawrence: Trolleybus 7/1/30 to 1/20/51

55 Garfield-55th East of Cottage Grove: Trolleybus 6/20/48 to 6/20/59

65 Grand Trolleybus 12/16/51 to 1/15/73

66 ChicagoTrolleybus 5/11/52 to 3/26/67

72 North Trolleybus 7/3/49 to 3/23/73

73 Armitage Trolleybus 2/1/53 to 10/15/66

74 Fullerton Trolleybus 12/4/49 to 1/22/73

76 Diversey West of Logan Square: Trolleybus 4/17/30 to 6/19/55

77 Belmont Extension Trolleybus (77A) 5/30/31, Trolleybus 1/9/49 to 1/13/73

78 Montrose Extension Trolleybus (78A) 1/25/31, Trolleybus 4/19/48 to 1/13/73

80 Irving Park Trolleybus 11/7/48, Bus 1/13/73

i remembered 82 kimball/homan and 85 central were running the trolley buses.

i remembered 82 kimball/homan and 85 central were running the trolley buses.

#82 Kimball/Homan was never a trolley bus route. #85 Central was though. Yes! #33576 was my assigned CTA badge number.

The 16 Lake was eliminated sometime in the early 1990s. Its eastern terminus was around Wacker and Columbus, its western terminus was at Austin.

16 was discontinued 10 May 1997.

The bus service was cut back from downtown to Ashland Su from 7/30/61. Rerouted via Lake, Corcoran to Austin from 7/19/64. Cut back from Harbor Point 11/25/79 and extended to Illinois Center 6/22/80. Late weekend service withdrawn 9/13/81. Rerouted to Wacker/Columbus to replace 15 1/3/82, Illinois Center served by 56. Weekday evening and Saturday cut back eastbound to Ashland 1/24/88. From 1/9/94 evening and weekend service extended downtown to Columbus & S Water during Green Line renovation.

#82 Kimball/Homan was never a trolley bus route. #85 Central was though. Yes! #33576 was my assigned CTA badge number.

#82 Kimball/Homan was a trolley bus route, it operated from 21/jun/1931 and discontinued from 30/jun/1937, the route has the shortest history in the trolley bus system in chicago, see http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=390274&ck=

#82 Kimball/Homan was a trolley bus route, it operated from 21/jun/1931 and discontinued from 30/jun/1937, the route has the shortest history in the trolley bus system in chicago, see http://my.att.net/p/...upid=390274&ck=

That is noted in Lind, but it wasn't Kimball Homan, just a short line on Kimball between Peterson and Leland (Ravenswood L station) between 1931 and 1937. In 1937, it was converted to gas bus* and extended to Logan Square, where it was until more recent times. Someone posted a CTA calendar here, going back to propane times, when there were both 82 Kimball and 82A Kedzie Homan buses sitting at Logan Square.

Homan was always bus, and as pointed out by sht6131, ran, at some point, on North Kedzie and North California.

_________

*Andre has posted in several places that the conversion was because CSL didn't want to keep the trolley bus in a shed, because it was disconnected from the rest of the trolley bus system.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are neat. BTW, with the report about the fake driver who had a CTA shirt, are there actually badges any more, or just shirt and coat patches?

Also, with regard to the Pace patch, I remember back a couple of years when Cook County Schoolbus had the 696-699 contract, and their drivers dressed like slobs. I then saw Highland Park drivers with the patch, and first wondered if Pace had taken over the operation of the routes, but looked closer and did see the little "City of Highland Park" on the patches. Apparently Pace wanted to improve its image on contract routes.

Have you seen the new CTA badges, which look like the 1979-style ones? They're in the same style as the 1979 badges were!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody here remember the 3700s, 3000s, 3600s, etc and the 1975 New-Look "Fishbowls" 9000s?

The buses from the glory days of CTA!!!! :) Miss those days!!! :) I loved going with my dad to North Ave. Garage and getting a front row seat to GMC 5307s and Flxible New Looks!!! I loved it!!!

The buses from the glory days of CTA!!!! smile.gif Miss those days!!! smile.gif I loved going with my dad to North Ave. Garage and getting a front row seat to GMC 5307s and Flxible New Looks!!! I loved it!!!

Looks Like You & Your Dad Had Big Fun Riding Those Buses!