Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

Time for the annual March scrap sale.

Interesting that those either long out of service or in Ravinia service are now going: 8902, 8903, 8906, 8914, 8918, 8921, 2102, 2128.

Of the hammerhead Orions, going this time are 2272, 2276, 2277, 2278, 2281, 2283, 2290, 2292, 2297, 2317, 2318, 2323, 2328, 2330, 2354, 2372. Again, interestingly, the few left at NS (such as 2349) aren't on this list, seems similar for N (i.e. like 2337 and 2368). Only ones listed for inspection at North are 2328 and 2354.

NABIs on this list are 2411, 2417, and 2452. That would seem to leave 8 at South.

Wrapping it up, that hulk 6061 is on its way from South Holland.

Busjack;

In all these years I never thought of calling those Orions hammerheads but I knew what you meant. :lol:

I thought of them as having San Francisco fronts because I first saw that front on Muni 30ft Orions back in the 1990s.

BTW, a hammerhead Orion looks better [iMHO] with a mylar curtain rather than an electronic sign.

To build on the "Hammerhead" nickname, Pace has a picture they use at times, a drawing of an Orion, 2300 series, in all white (Without yellow belt), and the newer "Wrench" logo, as some of the 6600s have.

So the Orions are called "Hammerheads", the plain looking 6600s that are all white could be nicknamed "Great Whites". Now all they need is to bring back the GM Fishbowls, and we got an aquarium for a garage!

With all these buses up for sale from Ravinia, I wonder what buses are gonna be around this season? Maybe Pace is no longer supplying?

Doubt that. As I noted above, the last of the 1992-1993 Orion Is aren't on the list, and the question also will be whether the N 2401s are that shot yet.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

NS still has Orion I's outside the garage. I wonder when this bid takes effect.

Bidding closes 8/29 and then has to go to a board meeting, presumably the first chance 9/11.

Anyway, as is usual, it says to inspect them and pick them up where the buses are located, which in the case of North Shore, consists of 8 buses. 8 are at South, 7 are at South Holland, and 9 are at North. Inspections at those locations are on 8/14.

• 3 months later...

Probably as a final defeat for bus collectors,the remaining Orion Is and 1999 NABIs (other than those in Ravinia service) went to Scrap Metal Services LLC, and that was after a second round of bidding.

I'm surprised that either of those two not in Ravinia service were even still around.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably as a final defeat for bus collectors,the remaining Orion Is and 1999 NABIs (other than those in Ravinia service) went to Scrap Metal Services LLC, and that was after a second round of bidding.

Yeah last week the remaining 3 Orion I's at the north end of NS disappeared. There was still one bus on the apron. Yesterday I went by NS and they are now all gone. So much for Orions at NS.

• 9 years later...
11 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

Well it's been about ten years now since the Orions 1s were retired, what did you all think of them? 

Cheapest bus Pace could have purchased. Most other transit authorities had gone to Orion Vs by at least 1991. Maybe Pace was snakebit by the Grummans.

At least they had seating capacity.

45 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

Well it's been about ten years now since the Orions 1s were retired, what did you all think of them? 

If you mean the Orion Is as in the high floor buses, they were workhorses.  The only thing I didn't like about driving them were their antisocial brakes.  While not locking up the wheels is a good thing. These buses didn't stop on the dime

Slamming on brakes was accompanied by prayer as you hoped to avoid hitting someone.   Maybe that's what the operator @Mr.NewFlyer1279 mentioned was referring to.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, rotjohns said:

No, 2378 is gone.  It was last at South Holland yard back in 2019.

2378 is still with Pace at South Holland. It is one of their historic vehicles along with West Towns 771 and Nortran 460. Pace had them displayed on 10/14/2022 in front of South Holland for a Motor Bus Society visit.

IMG_7509.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1