Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

Pace North has a school contract to haul kids to and from the high schools. That is the usual assignments for the 2300s (And bus 2297, an Ex-Northshore Division bus). Rarely will you see them in regular service.

Technically, you can't say that, or someone who at least was on this board will be running to the FTA. I think the politically correct version is that since the Waukegan School Board decided to buy Student Haul Passes, Pace reinstated public route 566.

BTW, I live in the North Shore area, and if 2297 was there, I don't know it. It was in S, then SW, then Academy.

From North, 2331 (We nicknamed it 'Old Smoky' due to the absurd volumes of black smoke it put out) was retired, and its engine put into 2329, which quickly got names 'New Smoky'. 2329 ran briefly with the new engine, until it started leaking diesel fumes into the passenger section. It was then retired. Mechanics then found there was oil clogs in the engine.

We think 2335 will be the next one to go, as it runs so bad, we nicknamed it 'Junkwagon' (A name now used for all of North's Orion I's.).

Thanks for some explanation of why these are off the roster.

As far as smoke is concerned, it still seems like most of the 40 foot buses from North Shore still belch a large amount of soot, especially when taking off after a stop. I was behind 6322 yesterday, which did it. Bad engine maintenance all around?

Update: A couple of additional thoughts:

1. If the buses being sold are gas chambers, doesn't that create product liability concerns? (rhetorical question)

2. Are 2300s being used on school runs because, as you indicate, they no longer stand up to all day service, or because there are sufficient riders that a smaller bus can't be used? (This is a real question, since if the answer is the latter, Waukegan, like Joliet, may be getting some 2600s, too, even though both had 40 foot buses on school runs).

Pace North has a school contract to haul kids to and from the high schools. That is the usual assignments for the 2300s (And bus 2297, an Ex-Northshore Division bus). Rarely will you see them in regular service.

The 2300s are also used in occasional training service. Me and the drivers like to joke that you break in the new drivers on these old buses, because if they can keep a 2300 running, especially 2335 or 2337, a NABI is a snap.

From North, 2331 (We nicknamed it 'Old Smoky' due to the absurd volumes of black smoke it put out) was retired, and its engine put into 2329, which quickly got names 'New Smoky'. 2329 ran briefly with the new engine, until it started leaking diesel fumes into the passenger section. It was then retired. Mechanics then found there was oil clogs in the engine.

We think 2335 will be the next one to go, as it runs so bad, we nicknamed it 'Junkwagon' (A name now used for all of North's Orion I's.).

I like those nicknames, Old Smoky, New Smoky, and Junkwagon. Boy those buses must really be bad. I'd suspect you'll probably see some 2700s in the very near future OR maybe some left over Nabis from when/if the Pace budget cuts and subsequent route cuts take place. I gotta think 6600 is feeling lonely up there as the only newer Nabi.

I like those nicknames, Old Smoky, New Smoky, and Junkwagon. Boy those buses must really be bad. I'd suspect you'll probably see some 2700s in the very near future OR maybe some left over Nabis from when/if the Pace budget cuts and subsequent route cuts take place. I gotta think 6600 is feeling lonely up there as the only newer Nabi.

They have (at least) 6600-6603 (from back when the 580s started), 6625, 6671, 6682, and 6684.

Yes, we have those 6600 series. Universally hated by drivers, except for one straggler that likes them.

We call anything 6600 a 'spy bus'. Not only do they have DriveCams, but they also have continuous security cameras.

Our despotic Safety Manager seems to have a camera fetish, and back when North was the only division to have DriveCams (Older style, with the big red button underneath), he had them set very sensitive, so that hitting a pothole would cause it to trip. Of course, the drivers setting off the cameras though potholes, road bumps, whatever, were always called into his office to be told what they did wrong. Needless to say, Jeff the Safety Manager is very particular.

Now, the 6600s aren't so bad to ride as a passenger, but the reason they are hated by drivers here, is because when North first got these buses, they did not have DriveCams. One driver wanted the corporate route they were to be used on. They found him not to come to a complete stop (Keyword is complete, where Jeff says to count five seconds out before moving again), and reviewed enough security tapes to have him fired for this. See, if you move after counting, to say, three, it is still not a complete stop and a driver can be called in for that. Here at North, anyway.

So far as bus nicknames, we have more of those:

2430 The Kangaroo (Very bouncy bus for a long time, now fixed but name stays)

2450 The Rocket (Usually has very fast acceleration)

2337 Death's Door (For a month or so the rear door interlock did not work properly- the doors would swing open on turns, but not stop the bus - I once tested this by pushing open the door with my finger while the bus was moving. Alarm bell did not even ring.

2297 Steve's Bus (As I have a friend in management at North Shore, when it was learned this Orion came to North from North Shore, everyone thought I had something to do with that)

Yes, we have those 6600 series. Universally hated by drivers, except for one straggler that likes them.

We call anything 6600 a 'spy bus'. Not only do they have DriveCams, but they also have continuous security cameras.

Our despotic Safety Manager seems to have a camera fetish, and back when North was the only division to have DriveCams (Older style, with the big red button underneath), he had them set very sensitive, so that hitting a pothole would cause it to trip. Of course, the drivers setting off the cameras though potholes, road bumps, whatever, were always called into his office to be told what they did wrong. Needless to say, Jeff the Safety Manager is very particular.

Now, the 6600s aren't so bad to ride as a passenger, but the reason they are hated by drivers here, is because when North first got these buses, they did not have DriveCams. One driver wanted the corporate route they were to be used on. They found him not to come to a complete stop (Keyword is complete, where Jeff says to count five seconds out before moving again), and reviewed enough security tapes to have him fired for this. See, if you move after counting, to say, three, it is still not a complete stop and a driver can be called in for that. Here at North, anyway.

So far as bus nicknames, we have more of those:

2430 The Kangaroo (Very bouncy bus for a long time, now fixed but name stays)

2450 The Rocket (Usually has very fast acceleration)

2337 Death's Door (For a month or so the rear door interlock did not work properly- the doors would swing open on turns, but not stop the bus - I once tested this by pushing open the door with my finger while the bus was moving. Alarm bell did not even ring.

2297 Steve's Bus (As I have a friend in management at North Shore, when it was learned this Orion came to North from North Shore, everyone thought I had something to do with that)

Kangaroo eh? That's wild, even if it's fixed. I've been on a few buses in my day that could've been nicknamed "The Rocket." As far as "Death's Door," I can't believe that bus was like that for so long. That could've been a lawsuit in the making if anybody was at that back door and something happened. Probably one of the reasons why they ordered Eldos since they don't have back doors.

Took a trip to First Student in Westmont and hung around the Naperville Metra Station around rush hour. Here are the Orions that are still loose: 2273, 2274, 2275, 2276, 2277, 2283, & 2291 are all at Westmont. All were parked there around 1pm. If there are any more there, I didn't see them. So these buses run either Lisle, Westmont, or Clarendon Hills (none of those routes of which show up on Webwatch). As far as Naperville, 2305, 2316, and 2317 are still there. I was shocked to see 2305, that's a bus that used to run route 715 and worked out of First Student in Glen Ellyn. I thought for sure it was dead, but apparently it's not.

Rode past First Student in Westmont yesterday around 5pm; the only bus that was still there and not out on runs was Orion 2274. I'm guessing it's a spare in case another bus breaks down, but you'd have to wonder it's condition given it was the only bus there. I'm thinking it might be on it's last legs and is only out if it's an emergency.

Rode past First Student in Westmont yesterday around 5pm; the only bus that was still there and not out on runs was Orion 2274. I'm guessing it's a spare in case another bus breaks down, but you'd have to wonder it's condition given it was the only bus there. I'm thinking it might be on it's last legs and is only out if it's an emergency.

They have to have a couple of spares. Usually 2274 is on 820, which appears to be the lightest of the Lisle feeders in terms of number of trips.

In fact, one spare would be real tight, considering the two contracts (Westmont and Lisle) coming out of that yard. My estimate is that 22 buses are assigned for that service. By comparison, there are two spares for 9 buses assigned to the Wheaton-Lombard contract (674, 709, 711, 715), and those are new buses.

This may or may not be good news for CTA 5750,but today@S.Holland NABI 40' 6249 will soon

be heading to Academy per paperwork on the windshield. :mellow:

It isn't in that he wanted a Nova, but is in that he said a 6600 was too small for Route 606.

Also proves my point about the Heisenberg Principle. Shows that the worst Orion Is that may be the next subject to retirement are those at Academy, about which complaints were made, such as 2301.

This may or may not be good news for CTA 5750,but today@S.Holland NABI 40' 6249 will soon

Certainly not surprising. Our Orions have had it!!

Certainly not surprising. Our Orions have had it!!

Given the budget hearings, don't be surprised if Academy gets them all to wipe out most if not all the Orions that are still there. That'll happen probably by the end of November at the latest. The only question is, if Academy routes are possibly biting the dust except 600/606, then why are they getting a 40-foot Nabi when they have 35-footers already? In essence, they can just get rid of the Orions and focus on them. The only thing I can think of is maybe enough complaints have come around to where the 606 does need 40-footers.

Given the budget hearings, don't be surprised if Academy gets them all to wipe out most if not all the Orions that are still there. That'll happen probably by the end of November at the latest. The only question is, if Academy routes are possibly biting the dust except 600/606, then why are they getting a 40-foot Nabi when they have 35-footers already? In essence, they can just get rid of the Orions and focus on them. The only thing I can think of is maybe enough complaints have come around to where the 606 does need 40-footers.

Maybe that's a good reason why Academy is getting more 40 footers so it can replace rest of Orion 1s and 606 does need 40 footers badly, even on weekends it gets pretty crowded at most. 35 footers especially NABI 35 footers aren't too safe on that route. Southwest should've gave few of their Novas to Academy also for that route.

Maybe that's a good reason why Academy is getting more 40 footers so it can replace rest of Orion 1s and 606 does need 40 footers badly, even on weekends it gets pretty crowded at most. 35 footers especially NABI 35 footers aren't too safe on that route. Southwest should've gave few of their Novas to Academy also for that route.

Very true, SW doesn't need those Novas at all. But I would imagine the Novas will be gone too if 58 more buses are on their way in 2010. CTA5750 would love that!

I came across these 40'Orions@Lake-Cook Metra(2280,2281,2282,2344&2350)today,looking pretty good and wonder what their fate might be. :mellow:

Usual sitting in the cage for Shuttle Bug routes, pending the coming of winter. Usually there are 5 Orions and 5 ElDos there.

In that some of the routes (such as 631) require a 40-foot bus, I suppose their fate will the same as other Orion Is (around until the stimulus buses arrive), and then replaced by some other 40 footer. While 2390s and 6200s have sometimes been used on those routes, they haven't yet been put in the cage.

Also, as previously mentioned, they get rotated out, since there is no fueling facility there, and then appear on other North Shore routes.

Usual sitting in the cage for Shuttle Bug routes, pending the coming of winter. Usually there are 5 Orions and 5 ElDos there.

In that some of the routes (such as 631) require a 40-foot bus, I suppose their fate will the same as other Orion Is (around until the stimulus buses arrive), and then replaced by some other 40 footer. While 2390s and 6200s have sometimes been used on those routes, they haven't yet been put in the cage.

Also, as previously mentioned, they get rotated out, since there is no fueling facility there, and then appear on other North Shore routes.

Those buses don't look too bad to me. Very few rust spots compared to others. LOL.

Here is Nabi #6249, it arrived at Academy earlier this afternoon. The Orions are on their way out, #2374 may be the first out the door. More 40ft Nabis will be arriving sometime next week. Heres a few pics I shot earlier.

post-158-12566773420823_thumb.jpgpost-158-1256677406851_thumb.jpgpost-158-1256677551199_thumb.jpgpost-158-12566776214675_thumb.jpgpost-158-12566777148763_thumb.jpg

Here is Nabi #6249, it arrived at Academy earlier this afternoon. The Orions are on their way out, #2374 may be the first out the door. More 40ft Nabis will be arriving sometime next week. Heres a few pics I shot earlier.

post-158-12566773420823_thumb.jpgpost-158-1256677406851_thumb.jpgpost-158-1256677551199_thumb.jpgpost-158-12566776214675_thumb.jpgpost-158-12566777148763_thumb.jpg

Well at least, the Academy will still have 40 foot buses, even though the Novas would've been better fit for that garage it, but sadly they'll be gone soon.

I guess Northwest will be the last division for Orion 1s, and still has more than few of them, probably will still be a least couple operating on weekends. I better hurry up and catch them myself, but I will sadly miss the Orion 1s on 606. It was fun!!!

Well at least, the Academy will still have 40 foot buses, even though the Novas would've been better fit for that garage it, but sadly they'll be gone soon.

I guess Northwest will be the last division for Orion 1s, and still has more than few of them, probably will still be a least couple operating on weekends. I better hurry up and catch them myself, but I will sadly miss the Orion 1s on 606. It was fun!!!

Well you live with what you have I always say. The Novas wont make it to Academy but at the very least Im glad to see we will have a small fleet of Nabi 40 foot buses back on the #606, theyre in dire need on the route.

There still (until the stimulus buses come) will be about 15 on North Shore routes, but that is out of about 50, so they will be scattered (and probably 7 on the Shuttle Bug). So, there is also a chance there, too, but not much of one.

I guess on Northwest, the odds are probably 30-35 Orion Is out of about 120 buses. Also, the chance in Waukegan (but mostly if you ride to West HS).

Any way you look at it though, the time to ride a high floor bus is quickly running out.

When do you think 6249 will make it's debut?

Usually a bus sent to us is placed in service within two to three days. They arrive with fareboxes but minus the farecard machine. The farecard machine is installed by Colonials own mechanics. Bus #6249 should be put in service any day now. Im curious to see what other 40ft. Nabis we get. Like I said before, we wont get the Novas but at least were still getting 40 footers. We were concerned that Route #606 would continue with 35ft buses indefinitely.

Usually a bus sent to us is placed in service within two to three days. They arrive with fareboxes but minus the farecard machine. The farecard machine is installed by Colonials own mechanics. Bus #6249 should be put in service any day now. Im curious to see what other 40ft. Nabis we get. Like I said before, we wont get the Novas but at least were still getting 40 footers. We were concerned that Route #606 would continue with 35ft buses indefinitely.

Well I'd have to think that you'll probably get all of the Joliet Nabis except for 6252, which was sent to West. But it appears that a couple of them are still floating around Joliet according to Webwatch. So it might be just a matter of time.

I am thinking that Pace North is fixing to squeeze a couple more years or so out of their Orions.

The 2400 series NABIs are already a decade old, and unit 2437 has a new engine in it. It sounds like a 6600 series now.

I was told by one of the drivers that North is getting some new bus engines. He thinks some might be for the Orions. If so, I would imagine then that they are going to retain them for a while. After all, there wouldn't be much sense in re-engining them, and then disposing of them.

The Orions here are used mostly in school tripper service, where they can crowd more people into a 40' standard floor bus, than a 35' low floor. I was on board bus 2297 the other day, and it seemed to run OK. That was an ex-Northshore unit.

Some of them are still pretty bad, but as I have been told, the mechanics seem to be paying more attention to them too. Again, why pay all that attention to a vehicle about to be disposed?