The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

Yeah I was thinking the poor guy must have had one too many Wrigley riders and he just snapped. Unfortunately he was headed to Wrigley for round two. Wait til they get the beer garden they might as well call it the disorderly conduct express. Drunkpeople do some crazy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

On #6755 today on #152 with a possible internal lighting failure.... all lights were darkened on the interior of the bus. LED next stop indicator was still working. Bus might've been set to "Day Run", but had headlights on, not really sure.... given the age and general condition of the Novas, electrical failures are possible. I didn't talk to the Bus Operator to ask about it as he didn't seem to talkative to anyone, even customers being courteous and telling him to have a nice day.

Short & Busy day at FG this afternoon....

Went to take a normally reliable #80 this afternoon about 1:30-ish. Bus didn't show for over 30 minutes(however, there was a Nova signed for #152 Addison to Cumberland running WB on Irving Park past Damen/Lincoln... we all thought it was a messed up sign, but the bus flew past us). Finally our bus came packed to the gills. Someone pointed out a broke down Nova EB past Western, but the volume of passengers and wait time made me believe that another Nova was broke down somewhere else along the route either further west of my destination heading back EB, or one broke down further east of Damen/Lincoln or at the starting point of the route at Lake Shore Drive/Broadway.

Novas(6400-6883) are showing their age..... nothing short of a light rehab will keep them running, even a small quantity of 30 or so until those all-electric buses are ordered and delivered, not to mention until the newer Novas start to get delivered and put into service(already 8200-8203 are at FG, but not yet being used on any routes). But we're at least a year from the order being procured and another year before we see the pilot and additional buses get delivered.... so 2019 perhaps.

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

#1399 is sitting at Addison Blue Line WB with hazards on, no passengers. Breakdown perhaps?

I almost said Cubs extra, but the Cubs are in Atlanta playing the Braves right now. But I remembered that Addison Blue Station is closed this weekend for Your New Blue work. So what you saw is a Blue Line Shuttle that's in place for that. 

8 hours ago, sw4400 said:

#1399 is sitting at Addison Blue Line WB with hazards on, no passengers. Breakdown perhaps?

6 hours ago, jajuan said:

I almost said Cubs extra, but the Cubs are in Atlanta playing the Braves right now. But I remembered that Addison Blue Station is closed this weekend for Your New Blue work. So what you saw is a Blue Line Shuttle that's in place for that. 

On the WGN TV story on the flagger being electrocuted, they mentioned that the station was closed and a shuttle to Belmont was being used, showing 1399 running under its own power.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

On the WGN TV story on the flagger being electrocuted, they mentioned that the station was closed and a shuttle to Belmont was being used, showing 1399 running under its own power.

Okay didn't here of that sad incident with the flagger, but the station was to be closed anyway for more Blue Line renovation work with bus shuttles in place. 

• 1 month later...

Spotted #1512 earlier this afternoon at Western and Van Buren with its engine cover up and about to be towed away by the CTA wrecker. It was signed as a northbound #X49. I'm not sure if it was a simple breakdown though because two CTA emergency vans and I believe a supervisor vehicle were sitting behind it and several maintenance personnel were inside the bus with the bus operator. And a CPD patrol SUV was parked in front of it just inside the intersection with Van Buren with emergency lights flashing. 

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Austin ends at Roosevelt, according to BusTracker. Why would #6706 go as far south as Austin and 16th?

Because it's confused and looking for Central. xD Run 007 is a central run. Obviously, either the operator don't know how to turn around using the side streets over there or they are blocked. Going 16th to probably central roosevelt over the regular route probably hurts the schedule. By the time you do all that there is no time for a layover, but I wouldn't bet some try to do one anyway and try to recover the schedule.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Because it's confused and looking for Central. xD Run 007 is a central run. Obviously, either the operator don't know how to turn around using the side streets over there or they are blocked. Going 16th to probably central roosevelt over the regular route probably hurts the schedule. By the time you do all that there is no time for a layover, but I wouldn't bet some try to do one anyway and try to recover the schedule.

In that there is a turnaround in Columbus Park (Central-Harrison), and this is 2 miles from that,I doubt that's the reason.

From the sign, it looks like the bus has prostate cancer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

In that there is a turnaround in Columbus Park (Central-Harrison), and this is 2 miles from that,I doubt that's the reason.

From the sign, it looks like the bus has prostate cancer.

i don't know. They do use the side streets to turn around cause i've seen it. Maybe the driver likes the south side or he is from berwyn. (2 blocks away unfortunately)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtvXtLBSN8c

Maybe he thought he was sven racer, but he needs a newer bus, not a grandpa one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIQhcvqIxY

Now why in the old days did 54/cermak used to be called cicero-berwyn when berwyn was 6 blocks away? Berwyn!! :P

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Now why in the old days did 54/cermak used to be called cicero-berwyn when berwyn was 6 blocks away? Berwyn!!

Because it was the cutoff from when the L was cutback from Cermak-Oak Park Ave. in Berwyn. The 21B Douglas Extension bus was supposedly part of the Douglas L route, so if you wanted to go to Berwyn, you had to transfer there.

Update: Also, with the paper sign, lack of route number, and ribbon for compressed air tank cancer, it might just be a broken sign.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...