The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So many of these types of batteries are combusting while charging. Remember the hoverboard fiasco.

I needed you for me to recall it  As what was explained then, H is atomic number 1 and Li isn't chemically much different at atomic number 3.

I see that the article you posted while I was typing also went into it.

Looking at math's tracker, it looks like the last time 700 was out at 5 pm was Aug.16.

Strangely,  701 dropped from sight after Aug. 11, but was back Aug. 29 and 30. Doesn't look like since then.

I don't claim that this search is exhaustive.

On 9/27/2017 at 0:56 PM, Busjack said:

...Strangely,  701 dropped from sight after Aug. 11, but was back Aug. 29 and 30. Doesn't look like since then....

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

According to Math's tracker, 701 is currently on the 79.

3 hours ago, garmon757 said:

It’s been operating at 77th for quite a while now. 

As I noted above, that wasn't the issue, but that it had dropped off the tracker about when 700 must have burned.

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Oh I see. It might have been a ghost bus consistently. 

I tend to doubt it. There might be another reason why it was not out p.m. rush hour, since, as I noted my search was not exhaustive. I would need data mining software to do it. Maybe @maths22 has it.

Another thing I probed was that 701 was on block 79-765 or 79-766, but the previous day 1232 was on 79-765 and 7924 was on 79-766; the day before 1273 and 1295. So it wasn't ghosting on those blocks those days.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

I tend to doubt it. There might be another reason why it was not out p.m. rush hour, since, as I noted my search was not exhaustive. I would need data mining software to do it. Maybe @maths22 has it.

Another thing I probed was that 701 was on block 79-765 or 79-766, but the previous day 1232 was on 79-765 and 7924 was on 79-766; the day before 1273 and 1295. So it wasn't ghosting on those blocks those days.

I believe #701 is restricted from operating full-time and block runs. Also, that's interesting because the last time I saw it on #79 was about a month ago and it was around 4pm. That's why I drew the speculation about being a ghost bus. 

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this tweet on Twitter a while back. 700 was on the road when it had that fire. It was on the 52.

701 is usually on 79-714 during the morning time and 79-766 during the evenings. The block number tends to change, but it is the same run. It has been 770, 769, and 765 according to maths22 tracker.

CF6031B3-1C06-47BF-AD8B-4C11D06823A4.png

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometimes being nice doesn't matter. I was attempting to help this operator of #8239 who was hung up with the rear doors stuck on a planter under the Addison Brown Line, but couldn't find the reset switch like I can on the New Flyers. I called Forest Glen to ask the manager and she rudely told me that the operator must call control and hung up. This has happened before and the switch trick usually resolves this. 

14 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Sometimes being nice doesn't matter. I was attempting to help this operator of #8239 who was hung up with the rear doors stuck on a planter under the Addison Brown Line, but couldn't find the reset switch like I can on the New Flyers. I called Forest Glen to ask the manager and she rudely told me that the operator must call control and hung up. This has happened before and the switch trick usually resolves this. 

But maybe she doesn't want civilians messing with the equipment. Could open CTA to liability.

11 minutes ago, patman119 said:

1342 is probably going to be out of service for quite some time or end up being retired. It caught on fire 2 days ago. I saw this video that someone has posted on Twitter. According to maths22 archive, it was on the 24 at Clark and Polk

If you want to see the video, click on some white space within the tweet. The smoke is quite impressive.

8 hours ago, patman119 said:

1342 is probably going to be out of service for quite some time or end up being retired. It caught on fire 2 days ago. I saw this video that someone has posted on Twitter. According to maths22 archive, it was on the 24 at Clark and Polk

Most likely headed to the scrapper. I don't think #1342 will be returning to service after that. I think you mean Route #22, BTW.

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

But maybe she doesn't want civilians messing with the equipment. Could open CTA to liability.

Most likely true. The Operator didn't seem against me offering to help. I think he was lost as to how to fix the issue, himself. He tried pulling the doors closed only to have them open again, and even pulled the red cherry in the back. But I was on a bus that got hung up on that planter before, and it was resolved by turning off the doors and closing and turning them back on. I don't remember if it was a newer Nova or a New Flyer though.

I just felt if the problem could be solved there, why have the Operator sit in a not broke down bus just to wait probably an hour or more for CTA Emergency Service to show up. Driver tried a shutdown and restart, but the doors remained stuck open. Many times when the rear doors on a New Flyer malfunction, the driver asks a passenger if he/she can flip the little switch to reset them, and we're on our way. That probably would've done the trick here, too. All that would've been needed was the location of said switch.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:55 AM, sw4400 said:

Most likely headed to the scrapper. I don't think #1342 will be returning to service after that. I think you mean Route #22, BTW.

It was on the Wentworth. I’m assuming the bus was one out of 77th. I took a look back at maths22 archive and it said it was on their shortly before the fire. Anyone know if this is the first 1000 series bus to have a fire like this one?

4 hours ago, patman119 said:

It was on the Wentworth. I’m assuming the bus was one out of 77th. I took a look back at maths22 archive and it said it was on their shortly before the fire. Anyone know if this is the first 1000 series bus to have a fire like this one?

I think so, I don't recall any other fires with New Flyers like that.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:01 AM, sw4400 said:

Most likely true. The Operator didn't seem against me offering to help. I think he was lost as to how to fix the issue, himself. He tried pulling the doors closed only to have them open again, and even pulled the red cherry in the back. But I was on a bus that got hung up on that planter before, and it was resolved by turning off the doors and closing and turning them back on. I don't remember if it was a newer Nova or a New Flyer though.

I just felt if the problem could be solved there, why have the Operator sit in a not broke down bus just to wait probably an hour or more for CTA Emergency Service to show up. Driver tried a shutdown and restart, but the doors remained stuck open. Many times when the rear doors on a New Flyer malfunction, the driver asks a passenger if he/she can flip the little switch to reset them, and we're on our way. That probably would've done the trick here, too. All that would've been needed was the location of said switch.

I think that switch is above the front passenger dooron the NFs.

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Unfortunately these  type of fires happen  more often than  you think.  Causes can range from hot brakes to tire malfunctions (including tread separation).  There is a fire suppression feature available for buses that are supposedly to make sure fires dont spread throughout the bus causing a hull loss.

I don't know if any research on the tire manufactures has been done, but from experience,  I know certain manufacturers are more prone to tire failures  than others.  I won't name any companies here.

Drivers also have to make sure theiremergency or parking brakes are fully released whether it's the air parking brake or the brakes from the rear doors or fully applying foot brake to release brakes.  Driving on partially released brakes will heat the brakes rapidly. 

5 hours ago, sw4400 said:

If you are saying NFs and not just 1000s, 4333 went up like that, but got more publicity. Here we've got more  smoke, but not much  evidence of how much burn damage it has.