The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

27 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose that is  where an NABI he was on as a kid broke down, which would have been  at least 10 yrs ago.

No point to the picture. I can get NICE! Ice Cream at various locations 20 miles closer than there.

• Haha 2

What happens to a bus after an accident is determined more by legal than physical issues. This is why there are almost a dozen 6000 Flx's still at S Shops - all accident victims from years ago that haven't been settled. 4167 is now on the dead list. Maybe lawsuit, but it did hit a wall so might be structural too. Metra cut up the gallery that derailed at 47th circa 2003 in 2016, 13 years later. Took that long to settle. Since 1088's wreck was non-fatal, assuming no frame damage it should be back someday.

Lets be honest,I hope 1088 will be active someday. I still a younger member so i dont know much about the maintenance of CTA or whatever you want to call it. But I highly doubt 1088 is gonna come back. And THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT. Please someone respond.

Also, is 1617 in good shape? Because it didn't sound good when heard it on the 16.

11 hours ago, ajay said:

Lets be honest,I hope 1088 will be active someday. I still a younger member so i dont know much about the maintenance of CTA or whatever you want to call it. But I highly doubt 1088 is gonna come back. And THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT. Please someone respond.

Also, is 1617 in good shape? Because it didn't sound good when heard it on the 16.

Its 50/50. If it were a 6400 the answer would be no as they are pooling vehicles at south shops. Being it's a low 1000 it might be gone but if it has a reason to invest in the damage then they'll fix it. As long as the lift is ok and the expensive parts are ok it will be back. For sure theyll be doing an assessment on the damage and then move from there. 

Frankly I'm more worried about the cng because that's a new bus and an expensive one at that. It's like bus 700 that's a million dollar bus. They almost have to fix it. The cng is cheaper than that though. 

Frankly I'm more worried about the cng because that's a new bus and an expensive one at that. It's like bus 700 that's a million dollar bus. They almost have to fix it. The cng is cheaper than that though. 

Yes, a CNG is a LOT cheaper than that, like $480K,  or less than the price of a CTA Nova Bus.

Pace had issued before this a request for qualifications for contractors to do body work on CNGs. So, it had contemplated the need to fix this one.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Its 50/50. If it were a 6400 the answer would be no as they are pooling vehicles at south shops. Being it's a low 1000 it might be gone but if it has a reason to invest in the damage then they'll fix it. As long as the lift is ok and the expensive parts are ok it will be back. For sure theyll be doing an assessment on the damage and then move from there. 

Well, I remember a bus that disappeared for a long time after it crashed into another way back in 2003(#6131), but it returned with parts from 6000-Series buses and 5300-Series buses(the handrails, one from each series bus). Looks like #6147 was involved too, and I know that bus came back quickly. Matter of fact, you were the one who posted all the news clips about it, @BusHunter. Goes to show you that a bus can be restored to operation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:46 PM, ajay said:

It's quite possible 1088 will be back. And it's not necessarily 50/50 either. 1147 smacked a guardrail on Western just a couple of years ago when it was still assigned to 74th. CTA could have said oh it's close to retirement age for this bus so just retire it. But they fixed the front end damage and it's now still chugging along as a current 103rd assigned bus. I guess the approximate $500-600 million CTA invested to rehabbed the full series not too many years before that dictates they just don't casually throw buses away that can be repaired after investing at least a half billion bucks in keeping their series running more years until they secure capital funds for replacements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

It's quite possible 1088 will be back. And it's not necessarily 50/50 either. 1147 smacked a guardrail on Western just a couple of years ago when it was still assigned to 74th. CTA could have said oh it's close to retirement age for this bus so just retire it. But they fixed the front end damage and it's now still chugging along as a current 103rd assigned bus. I guess the approximate $500-600 million CTA invested to rehabbed the full series not too many years before that dictates they just don't casually throw buses away that can be repaired after investing at least a half billion bucks in keeping their series running more years until they secure capital funds for replacements.

Depends if it has major damage. Major damage is 2 years out of commission. Will the low #1000's retire in 2 years? They will be the oldest buses and be the most expendable. The buses were newer when #1147 happened and there was an active rehab program going on.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Depends if it has major damage. Major damage is 2 years out of commission. Will the low #1000's retire in 2 years? They will be the oldest buses and be the most expendable. The buses were newer when #1147 happened and there was an active rehab program going on.

That still does not say the bus won't be fixed, especially when with what we're seeing with the 6400s and previously saw with the 4400s and 5300s and even the 6000s before the remaining just under 300 were pulled all at once in the 2010 cuts, buses don't get retired in order. Heck the rehab program wasn't even done in numerical order. So the only thing barring 1088 going back into service is if the damage is more extensive than frame damage. And the rehab program didn't necessarily have anything to do with how fast 1148 (I just realized I flubbed the fleet number) went back into service. The frame damage 4327 while still at Kedzie suffered proves that. Folks thought that one would be out for quite a while and if memory serves, it was repaired in a matter of months, not two years, and back in service a very short time before it got moved to 103rd. 

6 hours ago, mikeymc77 said:

1305 has been gone for years. I know this because I seen that bus at South Shops over 5 years ago, but its never been officially retired.

What's wrong with it. Did it have body damage? Must be something so bad a rehab cant help it. They didn't even take out a special contract on it like #1482 which we all thought was gone. That bus was supposedly sliced in 2. 

17 hours ago, jajuan said:

That still does not say the bus won't be fixed, especially when with what we're seeing with the 6400s and previously saw with the 4400s and 5300s and even the 6000s before the remaining just under 300 were pulled all at once in the 2010 cuts, buses don't get retired in order. Heck the rehab program wasn't even done in numerical order. So the only thing barring 1088 going back into service is if the damage is more extensive than frame damage. And the rehab program didn't necessarily have anything to do with how fast 1148 (I just realized I flubbed the fleet number) went back into service. The frame damage 4327 while still at Kedzie suffered proves that. Folks thought that one would be out for quite a while and if memory serves, it was repaired in a matter of months, not two years, and back in service a very short time before it got moved to 103rd. 

I'm just using the #6131 accident as reference because it took 2 years to come back. The lift was rebuilt with 5300 parts. The door assembly too. Now with the simpler lifts they have now it's possible it wont be so long. Depends how hard the replacement parts are to get but if 1305 is not coming back they might as well use its parts. New flyer I thought phased out that model so parts would have to come from an aftermarket shop. Dont know where the airport buses are coming from but they seem to be a leased pool of buses because the specs dont totally match. Kind of remind me of the old flyer replacements (#9800s) that flyer had sent over.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Why would 2 buses breaking down be a shock?  If you were a passenger on both breakdowns, that's bad luck.  Otherwise not out of the ordinary.

Well,I saw 1676 broke down i think it was last week(drove past it at Kimball and Division.  Interior Lights On. Engine was visible Route:82 Kimball/Homan going Northbound). The other one was a D40LF from Forest Glen(drove past it at Montrose and Clark. Interior Lights off. Engine was visible Route 78 Montrose To Marine Drive).

19 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

1676 is not broken down it’s currently on the 35th street route

Yes It Did. Kedzie must have fix it(IDK how long it take to fix a bus. Im gonna say 2 days or so). But I did saw 1676 on the CTA Math 22 on the 35th Street Bus.

Edited by ajay
Wanted to add more details

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Well,I saw 1676 broke down i think it was last week(drove past it at Kimball and Division.  Interior Lights On. Engine was visible Route:82 Kimball/Homan going Northbound). The other one was a D40LF from Forest Glen(drove past it at Montrose and Clark. Interior Lights off. Engine was visible Route 78 Montrose To Marine Drive).

Yes It Did. Kedzie must have fix it(IDK how long it take to fix a bus. Im gonna say 2 days or so). But I did saw 1676 on the CTA Math 22 on the 35th Street Bus.

20 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

1676 is not broken down it’s currently on the 35th street route

Again, you guys are recording stuff that isbn't of any significance, Especially,  both of you seem to think there are no mechanics. Someone fixed the bus and it went on its way,

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Down time of a bus depends on what's wrong.... it might be down for a few hours, or a couple days. Engine cover up doesn't always mean the bus is dead and won't run. They do that to signify the bus is disabled so other operators and supervisors know.