The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is first accident i've ever been on and the bus itself from my initial thoughts while on-board took some major damage but after getting off and seeing the aftermath I was surprised to say the least. The car is obviously totaled and the driver of the car I hope gets charged for failing to yield to on-coming traffic among other things, he was ok but very shaken by the entire ordeal.Everybody on-board which was about nine of us were ok but highly upset at the driver of the car. The irony of this entire incident is the ad wrap itself.

20190215_171526.jpg

20190215_171920.jpg

20190215_171934.jpg

20190215_171531.jpg

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

This is first accident i've ever been on and the bus itself from my initial thoughts while on-board took some major damage but after getting off and seeing the aftermath I was surprised to say the least. The car is obviously totaled and the driver of the car I hope gets charged for failing to yield to on-coming traffic among other things, he was ok but very shaken by the entire ordeal.Everybody on-board which was about nine of us were ok but highly upset at the driver of the car. The irony of this entire incident is the ad wrap itself.

I can’t tell how the accident happened from the pictures. Did the car try to beat the bus through the intersection?

38 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I can’t tell how the accident happened from the pictures. Did the car try to beat the bus through the intersection?

The driver of the car literally wanted to play a game of chicken with the driver of the bus to see who would stop first even though Ashland is a main street and 90th is a side street, we were already in the flow of traffic moving at about 30 mph or so at that point, everything happened within a split second. The bus operator couldn't believe along with the rest of the passengers that the driver would just pull out to on-coming traffic the way he did but then again he was 20 so young and dumb was my first assessment, however 90th and Ashland is a hot-spot for bad drivers not yielding to on-coming traffic on Ashland. Its even worse during rush hour because most drivers on 90th don't like waiting for traffic to clear before proceeding through the intersection so it creates a lot of tense moments. Another irony I forgot to mention is the driver of the car bought the car an hour before the accident only to crash in front of the dealership on the corner. 

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:07 PM, pudgym29 said:

I can't top the most recent three responses. :ph34r:

But, I was on 6871 [a ghost bus] on #77 Belmont earlier today. We passed a sitting, flashing 1804 also on Belmont (& Kilpatrick). I'm pretty certain this one will be remedied.

1804 is on the 74, so it is back in service.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, Aiden Tabucic said:

They do that sometimes 

True. They sometimes run with the engine doors open. I remember seeing 2011 on the 157 with its engine door open. Sorry the image is sideways. But is that a

violation to have the engine up while it's driving??? because I saw some novabus lfs from chicago doing the same thing when I was younger.

5c9a4cdc1e508_Screenshot2019-03-26at11_01_14AM.thumb.png.a50c0c6112b7e1ed6d7e4d09f099ceee.png

3 minutes ago, ajay said:

True. They sometimes run with the engine doors open. I remember seeing 2011 on the 157 with its engine door open. Sorry the image is sideways. But is that a

violation???

5c9a4cdc1e508_Screenshot2019-03-26at11_01_14AM.thumb.png.a50c0c6112b7e1ed6d7e4d09f099ceee.png

People probably open it at terminals when no one is around or something I seen a bunch of 6400’s with that type of thing open 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:38 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I remember seeing it with the engine door open, I am not 100% sure if it broke down or not.

It was broke down at the time. They do that to show its broke down with buses parking behind it not so easy to back up a bus especially if you have a bus behind you. Sometimes the engine hatch will blow open if not secured. Could also be a mechanic forgot to close the engine hatch. It happens.

Ran across an interesting find heading west on Irving Park just a little while ago.... WB-1(last check was ex-6438). It's not doing too well, as the exhaust would indicate. It's either not firing on all cylinders or it's burning oil now. Probably won't last through 2019 without some major engine work.

20190327_141149.jpg

20190327_141204.jpg

42 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Ran across an interesting find heading west on Irving Park just a little while ago.... WB-1(last check was ex-6438). It's not doing too well, as the exhaust would indicate. It's either not firing on all cylinders or it's burning oil now. Probably won't last through 2019 without some major engine work.

20190327_141149.jpg

20190327_141204.jpg

I think that is 6712, a list says that 6438 has been scrapped already.

11 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I think that is 6712, a list says that 6438 has been scrapped already.

I was about to say it might be 6783 but that bus still had the CTA logo & shit on it last seen it was at Chicago garage then they moved it over & sat it in a lil gate area by it self left from there last September or October

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

That is actually #6712.

I was actually thinking this might be #6708, if any 6700's(that bus was putting out this amount of blue exhaust as it chugged south on Route 85, which was the last time I seen it in service). Is there a list of the Workbuses somewhere so I can get these up-to-date? I know back when the TMC's were here, they had WB-13. How many Workbuses does the CTA have for the Ironworkers?

20190327_141149.jpg

There should be two. However the problem is that the "wb" numbers are unofficial and strictly put on by the crews. In the computer the bus still has original number and is "out of service". Until the 6000's were made WB1 and 2 the first, the number changes were official. The current WB1 and 2 are at least the third ones, possibly the fourth.Except by actual observation, really no way to tell.