The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

Although the explanation (at least for the fan sound) makes sense to jajuan, I'm not sure that the above snippet makes sense to me, in that if the brake regen kicks in anytime the driver takes his foot off the accelerator, the bus can't coast, say when it is going down LSD at 40 m.p.h., unless you are saying that only slight pressure on the "gas pedal" will keep the bus from regen braking. Maybe you can explain further.

Yes, it's my understanding that, in order to coast, the driver must maintain slight pressure on the pedal. This doesn't seem intuitive at all, and I'd imagine it's frustrating for drivers used to a non-hybrid bus.

I ride the 147 every day, and have observed time and again the driver taking his/her foot completely off the pedals, allowing the bus to slow rather quickly the full length of the Foster exit ramp, and only applying the service brakes in the final few seconds.

Sometimes, drivers are less than delicate with the pedals, and while trying to maintain a constant speed over overpasses on LSD, they end up engaging brake regen over and over on the downhill portion of the overpass without ever touching the brake pedal.

I saw #6166 locked up in the middle of EB Montrose this afternoon, unable to disengage from "N" for about 5-10 minutes. Eventually, after dumping out the passengers onto the bus behind it, the operator deployed the wheelchair lift in one full cycle and re-stowed it, then put the bus in "D" again and the bus finally moved. Almost a breakdown in a very inconvienent location(middle of Montrose).

Question to the resident Bus Operators on this board.... why do the lift-equipped buses(TMC's, Flxibles, M.A.N Articulateds from Seattle) seem to have such a hard time coming out of "N" after the lift is operated, sometimes forcing the bus out of service and requiring a tow back to a garage?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I almost saw a breakdown today. Bus 1339 on the 74 was at the Grand & Nordica terminal around 6 pm, and the driver couldn't get the bus to move. It seemed like he was trying to get it into gear but it wouldn't go. It blocked a 65 from being able to pull around.

I don't know if there was something wrong with the bus, but he was driving really slow afterwards.

I have noticed that Pace North bus 2328 has had a quirk in the system for a while now. When boarding/discharging passengers, if both doors open, even after closing them, the interlock thinks they are open and the bus can't move.

Only solution for a while was to shut down the bus and start it up again.

Then it was discovered lowering the kneel and bringing it back up also fixed it usually.

Couple 2400 series NABIs had the same issue. I was on one guy's bus, when his NABI did it. I told him to shut it down and start it up again. He told me I am only suggesting that because I am a computer tech! I think he meant that in fun.

He did try it though. And it worked.

I have noticed that Pace North bus 2328 has had a quirk in the system for a while now. When boarding/discharging passengers, if both doors open, even after closing them, the interlock thinks they are open and the bus can't move.

Only solution for a while was to shut down the bus and start it up again.

Then it was discovered lowering the kneel and bringing it back up also fixed it usually.

Couple 2400 series NABIs had the same issue. I was on one guy's bus, when his NABI did it. I told him to shut it down and start it up again. He told me I am only suggesting that because I am a computer tech! I think he meant that in fun.

He did try it though. And it worked.

Most of #2300's I've come across (especially the Academy ones) tend to have interlocks that close before the door closing resulting in the bus pulling out with an open door. That's really dangerous. CTA has a few Nova's that do that too. Mostly the low #6700's (below #6755). There was an instance where I saw a man get caught up in those doors on Central. (bus #6712) The guy was so upset he demanded the bus be parked and called in as defective. I couldn't blame the guy I'd be upset too if the door threatened my life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I ran into Bus #1422 yesterday afternoon appearently disabled at Lincoln and Berteau SB. From what I could hear from the driver as he let the passengers from his bus get onto the next bus, he said something about 'when stopping the bus, the wheelchair ramp light would come on and he wouldn't be able to move the bus without I'm guessing cycling the ramp and/or shutting down and restarting the bus.' He must've finally got it to where it was, and it just wouldn't move anymore, no matter if you cycle the lift or shut down and restart the engine, because I saw him standing on the retracted ramp and lightly jumping on it.

Jumping on the lift, eh?

One of the drivers I know here at Pace North, got a bus with a defective farebox that would not work properly. As I was riding up front with him, he told me to watch how he gets them to work.

He proceeded to park the bus, get out of his seat, and stood in front of the farebox.

Then he gave it a few good karate-style kicks!

It actually then powered on again and worked the rest of the day!

He told me there is a place that you can kick them, if they get stuck with a coin or piece of lint, that can cause the farebox to shut down and stop working. Sometimes hitting them works too.

There was another time this particular driver had to kick the farebox, on a trip loaded with kids bound for Waukegan High School. He asked me to block direct view of him in the aisle, so some kid couldn't get out a cellphone and film/photograph him kicking a farebox. Farebox worked at that point again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seeing more and more of lack of maintainance on CTA Buses and Trains now: I was on #1923 this morning, and the seat behind the operator was missing the cushion with the wheelchair symbol on it. The bottom cushion was there, however.

Of course there is something wrong with someone ripping off the cushion on a maybe 2 year old bus?

Of course there is something wrong with someone ripping off the cushion on a maybe 2 year old bus?

It was too clean(no fabric left whatsoever) to have been ripped off. Even the bolts that hold the fabric on had no fabric pieces on them. But, if you're referring to a bus mechanic removing an old one, why not just slap a new one on there? It should take less than five minutes to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right place for this particular post, but I seem to be seeing much more graffiti on buses lately. On my way to Midway airport to pick up some friends, I was behind bus 1137 and it was full of graffiti. And earlier this week I saw buses 1908 and 1055 with graffiti on the back.

• 4 months later...

Here's an interesing sight that maybe someone who drives or maintains the CTA buses can shed some light on. I caught the #11 this morning(#1401), and what catches my eye is a piece of blue paper on the right windshield wiper outside. When I enter I read it... "Take Bus To GC After Servicing". What is GC???

Here's an interesing sight that maybe someone who drives or maintains the CTA buses can shed some light on. I caught the #11 this morning(#1401), and what catches my eye is a piece of blue paper on the right windshield wiper outside. When I enter I read it... "Take Bus To GC After Servicing". What is GC???

GC-General Cleaning is basically detailing the vehicle. Servicers remove gum from the seats and floors and thoroughly clean the bus's interior, as well as those Alcoa aluminum wheel rims.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the #11 to Lincoln to work today and caught Bus #1771. The interior smelled like the TMC's of the past(heat + diesel fumes). I didn't think nothing of it until I saw dark gray particles being blown up to the front of the bus on the outside, then I realized this bus exhaust pipe is putting out massive amounts of dark gray smoke with some black in it as well. When I got off I called CTA and told them about it, because it looked to me like the turbo was blown on the bus or on the verge of blowing, which could result in a engine fire if not shut down and taken care of soon.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was on #6755 this afternoon, and the buses' kneeling system was inoperative. It would "Beep" when the switch was pressed, but it wouldn't lower. I do wonder though.... if the kneeling system is not working, does that mean that this bus will not be able to deploy the wheelchair ramp until the kneeler is fixed?

I was on #6755 this afternoon, and the buses' kneeling system was inoperative. It would "Beep" when the switch was pressed, but it wouldn't lower. I do wonder though.... if the kneeling system is not working, does that mean that this bus will not be able to deploy the wheelchair ramp until the kneeler is fixed?

I've ridin more than few of Pace's Orion VI 6000s and they have the same issue.

I've ridin more than few of Pace's Orion VI 6000s and they have the same issue.

Does this prevent the Wheelchair Ramp from being able to be deployed? I know the procedure for deployment is kneel the bus, deploy the ramp. If the kneeler is inoperative, will the ramp still deploy?

• 3 weeks later...

Does this prevent the Wheelchair Ramp from being able to be deployed? I know the procedure for deployment is kneel the bus, deploy the ramp. If the kneeler is inoperative, will the ramp still deploy?

Actually the wheelchair ramp can still be used though it would probably have to be deployed manually AND it would depend on the height of the curb. The reason the bus should be knelt is to create as close to even as possible a ramp where the wheelchair can roll straight into and off the bus. In most cases it may just be a slightly steeper entrance. But if the ramp is too steep, you risk either having a gap between the end of the ramp and the step inside of the bus OR if the ramp only extends so far, may not reach the ground for the wheelchair to roll onto (this is the part where curb height is important).

• 2 months later...

Spotted New Flyer #1970 out of service at Lincoln & Addison/Ravenswood NB this evening. Appearant overheat or small fire, as the driver and the TOS(Tech On Scene) disconnected the battery from the engine and had a fire extinguisher at hand. There was a smokey smell in the air at the engine compartment and a little trace of smoke coming out of the engine.

post-10-13075017454951_thumb.jpg