wordguy

More Bus Moves

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, Busjack said:

There was a time when buses were either cream and green or white and green (Andre said cream was first).  Because of steel bodies, buses were periodically repainted, but there basically wasn't a formal rehab program until the 4400s.

Another change was that fleet numbers were originally in a "book font" on the white or cream under the windshield, and putting Helvetica numbers either there or on the green between the headlights came later.

There were other arbitrary repaintings, such as several colors on Beverly New Looks to give the RTA some ideas, and the pine and lime pattern later used on the Flyers and MANs on 9000s. There was, of course, the corporate rebranding repainting of most of the fleet from the pine and lime to the white with blue and red stripes.

Until the 3000's, buses were green and cream since 5000's in 1950. Specific paint patterns changed over time, but colors did not. With 3000's they went to a white and darker green, but no change in pattern. Buses were repainted every 5 years or so. Most repaints after 1964 got the white and dark green, but about 1970 a few, mostly 5000's, ended up cream and dark green, apparently to use up paint. By 1972, there were very few cream and green buses, mostly 8700's, which had better quality paint (first Imron?) than most.

Actually, there was a continuous rehab program then. About every 5 years, a bus went in to have everything fixed up and repainted. This ended in the 1970's when the CTA started going broke, which is why buses started looking do bad then.

As of now (but before tomorrow's moves), 77th's 1000 series NF buses should consist of #1208-#1304 and #1306-#1391. 74th's should be #1405-#1563 (74th sent #1564 and #1565 in addition to #1575-#1579 to Kedzie).

3 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

Yesterday afternoon right after I got off work, I spotted NF artic #4206 on 146 SB.

There was am event at soldier field.  Kedzie helps out in those runs

28 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

There was am event at soldier field.  Kedzie helps out in those runs

From what I saw on 26.1, someone needed to call the buses to the staging point at about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter, as the crowd was fleeing in droves.

9 hours ago, Master58 said:

North Parks Buses #4054 and #4064 are at 103rd. 

Why do I feel like this is a start to move the rest of the 4300's to NP? 

11 hours ago, Master58 said:

North Parks Buses #4054 and #4064 are at 103rd. 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Why do I feel like this is a start to move the rest of the 4300's to NP? 

I wouldn't sound the alarms yet for two buses at 103rd unless we actually see some of the 4300's from 103rd up at NP. It could be just a loan..... NP has used loaned Novas recently(6400's) on some routes, and they're holding on for dear life, some of them. But FG didn't get any NF's from them in return for those loan outs.

Will 1000 series New Flyer buses between #1000-1429 would back at garages such as Chicago Ave, Kedzie, and North Park? I happy for Forest Glen, 103rd, 74th, and 77th but I would to see some buses between #1000-#1429 come back to C,K,& NP again.

5 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I happy for Forest Glen, 103rd, 74th, and 77th but I would to see some buses between #1000-#1429 come back to C,K,& NP again.

Why would you want the older, high mileage stuff?

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Will 1000 series New Flyer buses between #1000-1429 would back at garages such as Chicago Ave, Kedzie, and North Park? I happy for Forest Glen, 103rd, 74th, and 77th but I would to see some buses between #1000-#1429 come back to C,K,& NP again.

For the foreseeable future, I would say no. Buses 1000-1429 won't be going back to C,K or NP any time soon. Though NP does still have 1392-1404 for now. As for 4054 and 4064, I'll agree with SW on this one. Don't sound the alarm bells yet about NP getting the rest of the 4300s because not only was it just two buses seen out of place, NP is artic heavy to begin with at just under 130 of them assigned there and can afford to spare a few especially given the roughly year and a half practice of NP running PM 135 and 136 with 40 foot NFs and not as many artics. And I know it's going to be pointed out that that's because those artics were shifted to the 22 in the PM rush, but if we look at the shorter intervals between buses on the 135 and 136 than seen at times on the 22, we're probably not seeing as many artics on the 22 as were on both the 135 and 136 in the PM rush period. Plus PM rush and evening use of artics has been decreasing a bit lately. So NP could spare the two artics seen down at 103rd.

Looks like another 77th fill in on a 103rd route, this time it's #1350 on the #108 Halsted/95th. I think 103rd is short of buses

2 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Looks like another 77th fill in on a 103rd route, this time it's #1350 on the #108 Halsted/95th. I think 103rd is short of buses

Which would probably explain the reports of artics 4054 and 4064 being seen on routes from there instead of NP a few days ago and lend more evidence to some jumping the gun on thoughts of NP possibly snatching up the rest of the 4300s. 

23 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Yeah They have been short on buses over a week wonder why everyday for the past week I've been seeing few 1000s on the J14

8 hours ago, qwantae said:

Yeah They have been short on buses over a week wonder why everyday for the past week I've been seeing few 1000s on the J14

Apparently they're having service and maintenance issues with their artics. I too have seen a lot of 40 footers on the J14. 

There may be a possible bus swap on the horizion guys. As I was pulling in around 10pm I saw 1560-66 I believe sitting outside the garage. So if you happen to catch those buses on another route besides 74th then that's what happened lol.

31 minutes ago, BusGuy248 said:

8224-8235 moved from FG to Chicago

Could be temporary as Chicago Avenue has routes that will be affected by the BOA Marathon Sunday.  The only FG routes affected besides the 56 are 76, 77, 152 near the Lake. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Could be temporary as Chicago Avenue has routes that will be affected by the BOA Marathon Sunday.  The only FG routes affected besides the 56 are 76, 77, 152 near the Lake. 

You beat me to pointing out that this and 74th possibly sending 1560-66 anywhere could be related to the Chicago Marathon. It could be also be in addition to the Saturday morning International Chicago 5K. A number of routes will have replacement shuttles in place to cover how big some of the ensuing detours or short turns away from regular terminals are going to be this weekend. There's one for the 3 between Mies Van Der Rohe/Walton and McCormick Place that ran yesterday, will run again today, and tomorrow morning. There's going to be one tomorrow morning for the 22 between irving Park/Clark and Belmont/Halsted. There's one tomorrow morning for the 66 between Chicago/Clark and Navy Pier and one for the 146 between the Roosevelt Red/Orange/Green Lines and Museum Campus. A couple of the respective garages may require some extra buses to take care of the different weekend shuttle services. 

7 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

There may be a possible bus swap on the horizion guys. As I was pulling in around 10pm I saw 1560-66 I believe sitting outside the garage. So if you happen to catch those buses on another route besides 74th then that's what happened lol.

Saw #1565 on #60 this morning  on bustracker and #1391 is on #77 this morning on bustracker and #1760 at FG because on busfinder  it say it on 81W.