More Bus Moves

sw4400

Actually, some of the 1600's have been scattered from K....

1636,1639,1641,1647,1651,1653,1655,1657-1659,1661,1677 are at Chicago

1682-1684,1689,1693,1695,1697-1698 are at North Park

1608,1610,1612,1614-1615 are at 74th

1601,1603,1606,1620 are at 77th

1600,1602,1604-1605,1607,1609,1611,1613,1616-1618 are at 103rd

Kedzie did have almost this entire block a few years back.... most of the 1600-1629 block and all of the 1630-1699 block, but now those numbers are scattered, whether temporarily or permanently among other garages. I wonder if one day the D40LF blocks will be consolidated together at the various garages(e.g: 1700-1799 at NP, 1800-1899 at K, 1900-1999 at C, 2000-2029 at FG, etc...)

I think busfan knows that sw. He was only clarifying which of them went to NP to BusHunter's earlier statement of whether all the unrehabbed ones higher than 1680 came up here to NP. :lol:

Given that this happened on a Sunday, this had to have been a bus on the 63 since the 24 doesn't run on weekends. That can't be going over well with 74th hearing that the guard barrier on the bus in question somehow failed and came open. I'll give the woman a little acknowledgment in admitting that she was wrong, but they still need to prosecute her to the fullest extent they're able because that's just downright ridiculous to attack someone for her own apparent clumsiness. And I say that because the article mentions that operator complied with her request to move the bus further away from the puddle she still managed to step in.

Has anyone noticed that on the Orange and Brown lines there are no longer 4 car trains during midday? At least since the blizzard on the 1st I have seen midday trains of 8 cars rather then 4 cars. At first I hought it was because of the blizzard but it's been awhile since then.

Has anyone noticed that on the Orange and Brown lines there are no longer 4 car trains during midday? At least since the blizzard on the 1st I have seen midday trains of 8 cars rather then 4 cars. At first I hought it was because of the blizzard but it's been awhile since then.

Yeah once it starts to snow heavily CTA keeps the max amount of cars in their consists until things warm up. It helps keeps the tracks clearer

I've heard of the phrase "You're all wet." but wow!!! Story

Crazy story!! But once the passenger is off the bus, just shut the doors and if they are blocking your path hit the bus alarm, the police come rushing like a regular police call sirens and everything. I don't really understand why you would open the doors. If you really feel threatened like the nutcase is breaking through the windshield to get you. Start touting your horn to attract attention and maybe you can get a passing squad car to help you.

Once on a Pace bus, the ex-209 routing east of Algonquin on Golf, they had a similar circumstance. A woman boarded and said she needed protection from her boyfriend not to open the doors. So the operator called the police, I guess Pace has a bus alarm too. The guy banged on the door but he couldn't get in. The cops came and took care of their domestic dispute. No harm no foul and the bus was on it's way, a little late but no one was hurt.

Definitely a south side route, somewhere near 71st and Jeffery when it was issued.

The punch tells one that. The notable thing is that there were the first with a uniform transfer throughout the CTA system instead of transfers with lines for one or a couple of routes on the map. On the older ones, I never could figure out why some lines were on the same transfer (the one of which I was most familiar, 31A and 55).

The transfer and punches also tell you May 23 at about 8:00 a.m. Interesting, though, that CTA transfers didn't indicate the year. I doubt that the drivers were checking stuff like serial numbers.

This also brings up a question similar to Andre's: When was this transfer superseded by the ones with the routes for the specific garages and 2nd ride 25 cents, third ride, free but surrender the transfer (topic title indicates 1986)?

Wrong.

It was issued at the 63rd & Stony Island L station, which is indicated by the rectangular punches used only on the L.

I guess that would pin down better the year of the transfer. Originally they had legends like "Bus" and "Rapid Transit," but you are indicating that they got combined to "Standard Transfer" at some point. Do you have the date?

I was only off by 1 1/2 miles. Not bad. At least we know this was issued no later than 1981.

Not sure about that, as the only essential was that the punch was in the correct box. Only thing implied by the location of the punch is that since the grid line was at 1500E, only station outside that box was Stony Island, which I take it is the basis for your and strictures's conclusions.

I was noticing yesterday an advertisement for a coffee shop in logan square on #1045, now a 74th bus. And for a school on 109th st. on #1839. I bet they would be happy to know they are now advertising across town. I don't know how many would be interested in something on the other side of town. Another casualty I guess of the bus swap.

Not as bad as the previous Pace Elgin wrapped buses showing up in Waukegan. I wonder if the advertisers get on Titan's back for not getting their money's worth as intended.

Not sure about that, as the only essential was that the punch was in the correct box. Only thing implied by the location of the punch is that since the grid line was at 1500E, only station outside that box was Stony Island, which I take it is the basis for your and strictures's conclusions.

Don't forget the rectangular punch, everywhere on it, including the time. CTA & CSL buses & streetcars used round punches. I've personally, never seen a CMC triangle punching.

Latest transplants from 74th to FG: 6470, 6685, & 6692. I assume that they were displaced by 8000s.

Also: 6427 has migrated to FG from C. (I actually eyeballed that one on Irving Park earlier this evening).

It won't be long until 74th runs out of pre-6709 Novas; only about 20 are left. Another poster suggested that some of the recently arrived 6800s might return to FG after the older ones have been transferred there --- or retired.

In the meantime, at least one 74th St. NF, 1194, has been recently reassigned to C, probably as a replacement for one of their retired 6400s.

• Like 1

Latest transplants from 74th to FG: 6470, 6685, & 6692. I assume that they were displaced by 8000s.

Also: 6427 has migrated to FG from C. (I actually eyeballed that one on Irving Park earlier this evening).

It won't be long until 74th runs out of pre-6709 Novas; only about 20 are left. Another poster suggested that some of the recently arrived 6800s might return to FG after the older ones have been transferred there --- or retired.

In the meantime, at least one 74th St. NF, 1194, has been recently reassigned to C, probably as a replacement for one of their retired 6400s.

Didn't know #6427 was ever at FG, that must have been really brief. As far as #1194, starting this week all the buses that have come out of south shops for 103rd, 77th and 74th have gone to either Kedzie, Chicago or NP regardless of what number they carry. I guess they are trying to get the unrehabbed buses to south shops and get the north side's rehab bus count back up to par. That would be a quicker way to do it. 74th, 77th and 103rd mostly have mechanically rehabbed buses left in the unrehabbed buses category. I guess they will get done next, but they may only need to go to south shops not Cummins as Cummins is doing the mechanical rehab part and south shops is doing the cosmetic part.

Don't forget the rectangular punch, everywhere on it, including the time. CTA & CSL buses & streetcars used round punches. I've personally, never seen a CMC triangle punching.

The operators or agents punched through a whole bunch of transfers at one time, so, of course, the type of punch would be consistent.

If the collector really had something, it would have been one of the transfers printed by the turnstile, which would have proved it was L. I remember at one time, a turnstile at Chinatown printed the transfer but wouldn't let me through, so I just showed it to the agent, who did.

The operators or agents punched through a whole bunch of transfers at one time, so, of course, the type of punch would be consistent.

If the collector really had something, it would have been one of the transfers printed by the turnstile, which would have proved it was L. I remember at one time, a turnstile at Chinatown printed the transfer but wouldn't let me through, so I just showed it to the agent, who did.

I also remember that transfers that originated from the L had a large blank section at the top so the time stamper at the L stations could mark when you left the L station. The transfer shown doesn't have that, so it's after CTA got rid of those time stampers.

The machines at Thorndale was the only one I knew of that you had to hit a large button on the top to get the time imprint. All the others were automatic as you inserted the transfer.