More Bus Moves

sw4400

Latest transplants from 74th to FG: 6470, 6685, & 6692. I assume that they were displaced by 8000s.

Also: 6427 has migrated to FG from C. (I actually eyeballed that one on Irving Park earlier this evening).

It won't be long until 74th runs out of pre-6709 Novas; only about 20 are left. Another poster suggested that some of the recently arrived 6800s might return to FG after the older ones have been transferred there --- or retired.

In the meantime, at least one 74th St. NF, 1194, has been recently reassigned to C, probably as a replacement for one of their retired 6400s.

6685 and 6692 moved to F in January, 6470 is a new move.

6423-6427 moved from 74th to C in Jun-2014, 6423 subsequently moved back to 74th in Dec-2014 and to Forest Glen in Jan-15. If 6427 was at FG it was as a loan from C.

I also remember that transfers that originated from the L had a large blank section at the top so the time stamper at the L stations could mark when you left the L station. The transfer shown doesn't have that, so it's after CTA got rid of those time stampers.

The machines at Thorndale was the only one I knew of that you had to hit a large button on the top to get the time imprint. All the others were automatic as you inserted the transfer.

Use of those ended when that kind of transfer was instituted. I guess it was no longer necessary when the transfer was good for 2 hours, no matter how you used it. The pre-1974 transfers had a tighter grid, where you had to cross a square in 10 minutes. However, since they couldn't time an L trip on that basis, the transfer was not valid on a bus unless you had it time stamped at the station you were leaving.

The only ones I remember stamped when you inserted the transfer, but the newer ones (like on the Dan Ryan) were box shaped, while the others looked more like time clocks of their day.

6685 and 6692 moved to F in January, 6470 is a new move.

6423-6427 moved from 74th to C in Jun-2014, 6423 subsequently moved back to 74th in Dec-2014 and to Forest Glen in Jan-15. If 6427 was at FG it was as a loan from C.

Pathetic to see what were seeing up here on the far NW side! Shame on CTA!!!

It wasn't. I had meant to state that 6427 migrated from C to FG. My editing fell flat. Thanks for the heads-up, BH.

So your saying #6424-27 is at FG? #6423 is on #76. That's really weird if so, they have this scrap contract out for 220 buses for a few months now and yet they are keeping these buses around unless they beat out the #6600's that aren't too impressive. I noticed #6637 drags the ground a little when it gets a full load. Maybe it needs some new shocks or struts. I think 74th may have 50 #8000 buses by 3 more weeks so they probably won't have any pre 6709's there by then, not that I'm really seeing any in service there now. There's so few they could probably stay at the garage.

Pathetic to see what were seeing up here on the far NW side! Shame on CTA!!!

I remember when Archer garage was the first garage to receive the 1000 series New Flyers (1000- 1121). Then someone decided that 74th should be all Flxbles , and Archer all Novas. So I knew everyday going to work I was going to be on Nova buses without fail. This continued until Archer closed and 77th took over the route. For a short season, it seemed like 77th followed the pattern by making 35th all Novas during the week and the 19xx New Flyers came on the weekends.

The majority of Archer's Novas went to 74th and the remainder went either to C or NP ()6692-6707)). Both 74th and NP took great pleasure in sticking the majority of their Novas on the 49 Western which was all Nova when Archer had that route. Eventually NP gave up its Novas and 74th started putting a few NFs on Western.

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately it won't change until either FG gets its 8000s or the Novas start crapping out at such a high rate that CTA is forced to send NFs from other garages to make up for shortages.

As more 8000s hit 74th, I eventually expect 74th to give up New Flyers in a trade for Novas from Chicago.

Ted rides the CTA, but appears as depressed as his Thunderbuddy right next to him....

http://www.peopleofthecta.com/2015/02/even-giant-teddy-bear-looks-depressed-riding-cta/

Not quite as out of the ordinary as some of their other pics considering today is Valentine's Day and this pic was leading up to today most likely. :lol:

1129 is on the 52?? Darn it I hope that bus comes back to 103rd 1491 82??? Things are so unstable right now.

Hey they have to give up something to Kedzie after snatching so many of Kedzie's rehabbed NFs and at least one artic given your observation about 4197. :lol:

So your saying #6424-27 is at FG? #6423 is on #76. That's really weird if so, they have this scrap contract out for 220 buses for a few months now and yet they are keeping these buses around unless they beat out the #6600's that aren't too impressive. I noticed #6637 drags the ground a little when it gets a full load. Maybe it needs some new shocks or struts. I think 74th may have 50 #8000 buses by 3 more weeks so they probably won't have any pre 6709's there by then, not that I'm really seeing any in service there now. There's so few they could probably stay at the garage.

Well 6488 is out on the #9 today so the remaining pre-6709 Novas left down there are definitely still seeing use.

My point exactly!!! :lol:

Yes it's gotten so unstable out there I almost didn't recognize that some of the most recent reported moves seen today even occurred. :lol:

Good Song for Valentines Day! But in the video, take a close look at what bus makes a cameo appearance!!! ;) <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKLnmMacEB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen

Was that one of "Old Looks"? It flashed so quickly in the beginning, I had to pause it at that point and look again. :lol::P

It looks as if there were two separate swaps last night:

4051-4052 NP to K in exchange for 1012-13.

4193-4197 K to 103 in exchange for 1129, 1491 and, likely, three additional 40-footers.

So NP and K had a slight net decrease while 103 had a slight increase when it comes to the artics.

103rd probably could use a few buses. Everytime they send a bus to rehab now it goes to the north side so eventually they'll get short.

That plus they have local routes that could be helped by the extra capacity an artic or two can provide outside of their assigned express routes that normally see artic use.

Was that one of "Old Looks"? It flashed so quickly in the beginning, I had to pause it at that point and look again. :lol::P

They used CTA Flxible #8499 You see it in the background and then some interior shots with the singer. You do have to go frame by frame.

Yeah that's it all right. I've been inside that bus and it looks just like it. And then I hear CTA wants to scrap it. Go Figure!! :rolleyes::huh:

I saw all the historic buses sitting on the scrap line at SS Very sad! But at the same time Im not surprised!