More Bus Moves

sw4400

And I saw 1128 on #18. mrcta85 won't be too happy about that... :(

You darn tootin I won't be lool!!! This has got to be the craziest bus swap I've witnessed since I been with cta smh lol. At least on previous swaps things settled down after a pick rather it was winter or spring but since this winter pick things have gotten ridiculous!!!

• Upvote 3

Im not buying the "artics don't fit" excuse because 169 ran the usual equipment. I think its just someone not wanting artics at 77th for whatever reason.

I agree with you 100% obviously whoever signs off on the paperwork to send buses to other garages needs to ride 79th, King Drive, and Cottage Grove especially during rush hour to get the big picture that 77th needs artics because I rode the 3 during off peak hours almost 2 weeks and I was sitting on a Nova and the bus was crowded. 77th can benefit from having artics whether 103rd or North Park sends some over there. I think North Park needs to purge some artics and give those to 77th in my opinion.

NP need to send some of their 4300's over to my garage I like them better than the 4300 hybrids we have. The upper 4100 we have I love those as far as artics goes, but I would love it if NP gave some of their upper 4300's back to 103rd instead of switching with Kedzie all the time.

I agree with you 100% obviously whoever signs off on the paperwork to send buses to other garages needs to ride 79th, King Drive, and Cottage Grove especially during rush hour to get the big picture that 77th needs artics because I rode the 3 during off peak hours almost 2 weeks and I was sitting on a Nova and the bus was crowded. 77th can benefit from having artics whether 103rd or North Park sends some over there. I think North Park needs to purge some artics and give those to 77th in my opinion.

Given that NP seems to be the golden child for artics and that it flip flopped using as many of them on 135 and 136 in favor of getting more on the 22 during rush periods which had the effect of its artic count going from 120 to about 130, neither scenario seems too likely to happen any time soon.

Im not buying the "artics don't fit" excuse because 169 ran the usual equipment. I think its just someone not wanting artics at 77th for whatever reason.

Besides, if I am not mistaken, the 169 ran out of the 103rd garage because it had artics. I haven't been that way lately to see if it is still 103rd artics or standard 40ft buses out of 77th.

Besides, if I am not mistaken, the 169 ran out of the 103rd garage because it had artics. I haven't been that way lately to see if it is still 103rd artics or standard 40ft buses out of 77th.

169 is still assigned to 103rd, and yes that garage still uses artics on that route which gets to Sam's point that the 'artics don't fit'* wasn't a strong or believable explanation for 77th shedding its artics last year.

*For any new members, a reference to reports that 77th traded out all the artics it had at the start of the fall pick because they wouldn't fit on the detour route for the #79 along 83rd Street between Damen and Western.

169 is still assigned to 103rd, and yes that garage still uses artics on that route which gets to Sam's point that the 'artics don't fit'* wasn't a strong or believable explanation for 77th shedding its artics last year.

*For any new members, a reference to reports that 77th traded out all the artics it had at the start of the fall pick because they wouldn't fit on the detour route for the #79 along 83rd Street between Damen and Western.

WEll the 169 down't run during "normal" hours so that when the detour was in effect, the turns would be somewhat easier than during daytime hours. That said, I'm not sure if it is people at 77th or people at 567 that don't want the artics at 77th. Every time that they get them, they are the first ones to lose them.

• Upvote 1

At least one poster had mentioned long delays as the major reason for scratching artic service along 79th Street.

Makes sense to me. As far as I know, the #79 was unique among the CTA's artic routes (past & present); it's a two-lane thoroughfare with six miles of continuous commercial congestion from the lakefront to Ashland. (Admittedly, it's been a few years since I last travelled down 79th Street, but I have a clear memory of it).

One likely cause: Long traffic backups created by the overhang of the artic's trailer section while the bus is loading and unloading passengers. Something like that can really have a ripple effect, causing massive gridlock, affecting everyone's schedules including the CTA's.

On the other hand, the #22 Clark has four congested stretches: one is a mile in length (Armitage to Diversey); the others run a half-mile each. (Belmont to Addison, Foster to BrynMawr, and Pratt to Touhy). The rest of the street, while not super-fast, is workable.

I sort of doubt that artics will ever work along the #77 Belmont, either. Traffic conditions there are similar to 79th Street's. On routes like 79th and Belmont, all the CTA can really do is operate standard buses with close headways.

At least one poster had mentioned long delays as the major reason for scratching artic service along 79th Street.

Makes sense to me. As far as I know, the #79 was unique among the CTA's artic routes (past & present); it's a two-lane thoroughfare with six miles of continuous commercial congestion from the lakefront to Ashland. (Admittedly, it's been a few years since I last travelled down 79th Street, but I have a clear memory of it).

One likely cause: Long traffic backups created by the overhang of the artic's trailer section while the bus is loading and unloading passengers. Something like that can really have a ripple effect, causing massive gridlock, affecting everyone's schedules including the CTA's.

On the other hand, the #22 Clark has four congested stretches: one is a mile in length (Armitage to Diversey); the others run a half-mile each. (Belmont to Addison, Foster to BrynMawr, and Pratt to Touhy). The rest of the street, while not super-fast, is workable.

I sort of doubt that artics will ever work along the #77 Belmont, either. Traffic conditions there are similar to 79th Street's. On routes like 79th and Belmont, all the CTA can really do is operate standard buses with close headways.

The artics worked fine on the 79. The area that couldve been most problematic was Lakefront to Dan, and surprisingly it wasn't (to an extent). There was unanticipated bus bunching (worse than usual) because there was a slight increase in buses to Wentworth but that evened out after Wentworth and even more after Western. Admittedly, the 169 does run differently, but if it was able to succeed, there is no reason it couldn't have on the 79. That aside, if the detour WAS a problem, 77th had the 3, 4, 8 and 87 who would not at all have minded artics. I remember when the 3 (and occasionally 4) got the disaster NABI's, riding those routes were much more tolerable.

Operating close headways was how the bus bunching occured on the 79 (and other routes). It was worse on the 79 because riding at the right time (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) in the westbound direction you could encounter buses with 5 or so different terminus' (Wentworth, Halsted, Western, Pulaski, Ford City/Solo Cup). Now the Pulaski trips were school ones, I believe for Bogan High School, Halsted trips don't run anymore, it doesn't serve that school on 77th/Central with the 54B and these Simeon High School trips never appear, so I'm not sure if those exist.

Point aside, I'll be surprised if CTA ever released a justifiable reason for why 77th lost their artics, when they are one of the garages who need them the most, just like the other questionable decisions they've made (FG getting all Nova's, NP's ever increasing supply of artics, etc).

(end rant)

A little off topic, but which routes even run artics? I see them all the time on the LSD routes (2, 6, 14, 13x, 14x, 151, 156), the 22, the 66, and the 12 on weekends.

#2 does not have articts. Add the 26 during Rush, 65 grand during AM rush westbound. One or two trips.

A little off topic, but which routes even run artics? I see them all the time on the LSD routes (2, 6, 14, 13x, 14x, 151, 156), the 22, the 66, and the 12 on weekends.

FG: 56 (every blue moon, since it is shared with NP and they sometimes return buses to NP that way)

NP: 22 (sees more), 56 (see above), 82, 135 (sees less), 136 (sees less), 146, 147, 148 (sees less), 151, 155 (Every blue moon, when a 147 randomly terminates at Devon)

Kedzie: 10 (rarely), 12 (not so much outside of rush & games), 19, 125, 126 (rush), 134 (sees less), 143 (sees less), 151, 156

77th: None

74th: None (can't support artics)

Chicago: 65 (that's new, and again, CTA shows they value little of passenger count priority), 66, 125, 151

103rd: 6, J14, 15 (rarely), 26 (always flucates), 28 (really rare), 29 (really rare), 34 (oh man, the rarity is strong with this one), 128, 169, 192 (those last three have around 15-20 combined total trips, so yeah)

In short, the garages without artics are the ones that need them and/or new buses (with the exception of NP)

FG: 56 (every blue moon, since it is shared with NP and they sometimes return buses to NP that way)

In short, the garages without artics are the ones that need them and/or new buses (with the exception of NP)

As pointed out here before (such as who chased the artic to Foster and Cicero) any artic on 56 comes from NP, since FG can't support them.

You can check what is behind the fence, if you want to head out there.

The artics worked fine on the 79. The area that couldve been most problematic was Lakefront to Dan, and surprisingly it wasn't (to an extent). There was unanticipated bus bunching (worse than usual) because there was a slight increase in buses to Wentworth but that evened out after Wentworth and even more after Western. Admittedly, the 169 does run differently, but if it was able to succeed, there is no reason it couldn't have on the 79. That aside, if the detour WAS a problem, 77th had the 3, 4, 8 and 87 who would not at all have minded artics. I remember when the 3 (and occasionally 4) got the disaster NABI's, riding those routes were much more tolerable.

Operating close headways was how the bus bunching occured on the 79 (and other routes). It was worse on the 79 because riding at the right time (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) in the westbound direction you could encounter buses with 5 or so different terminus' (Wentworth, Halsted, Western, Pulaski, Ford City/Solo Cup). Now the Pulaski trips were school ones, I believe for Bogan High School, Halsted trips don't run anymore, it doesn't serve that school on 77th/Central with the 54B and these Simeon High School trips never appear, so I'm not sure if those exist.

Point aside, I'll be surprised if CTA ever released a justifiable reason for why 77th lost their artics, when they are one of the garages who need them the most, just like the other questionable decisions they've made (FG getting all Nova's, NP's ever increasing supply of artics, etc).

(end rant)

And here i was, laboring under the apparently misguided belief that the CTA honchos were actually capable of making a decision driven by LOGIC! Oh well. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Now it's getting crazy!! #6436 is on the #80!!

You know first hearing about #6427 appearing at Fg and now this has me wondering about Chicago. If Chicago is sending off it's old Novas, I wonder if they could not be getting #7900's after all. They have been getting rehabbed buses from the south side. I wonder if it's possible they could just get NF's and be all NF. From 74th they could jump to FG to give them a completely new fleet from #8100 - #8349? But that's dreaming right, that couldn't really happen could it? But to argue the point then why send FG Chicago's Novas when they are replacing buses now versus later.

You know first hearing about #6427 appearing at Fg and now this has me wondering about Chicago. If Chicago is sending off it's old Novas, I wonder if they could not be getting #7900's after all. They have been getting rehabbed buses from the south side. I wonder if it's possible they could just get NF's and be all NF. From 74th they could jump to FG to give them a completely new fleet from #8100 - #8349? But that's dreaming right, that couldn't really happen could it? But to argue the point then why send FG Chicago's Novas when they are replacing buses now versus later.

Because they're playing mind games towards us!!! :ph34r:

• Upvote 1