More Bus Moves

sw4400

I was thinking in order to gain the space at np for artics they would have to probably give up some 40 foot service routes to kedzie like the #49, #50. But I think western should have more artics. That's tbe only way that could work but np probably needs to lose more than that but what?

I agree with your last point. Had it been up to me, the 9, 49, 53, 77 would've gotten artics a long time ago, because they would be at NP. That way Kedzie, if they were to lose their artics, they could go to 77th, since Chicago and 103rd have the bare minimum that they need.

I agree with your last point. Had it been up to me, the 9, 49, 53, 77 would've gotten artics a long time ago, because they would be at NP. That way Kedzie, if they were to lose their artics, they could go to 77th, since Chicago and 103rd have the bare minimum that they need.

But then what would you run out of 74th? 75 and 76?

• Upvote 1

Cause everything that gets rehabbed now goes north. #1886 has been around for awhile in a rehabbed state. I wonder where it's been? I could say the same about #1742.

Um but BusHunter, a lot of the other 1800s at 74th are rehabbed so that wouldn't completely explain why that lone bus found itself back at Chicago. It just proves for sure that whoever is approving all these stupid shifts is smoking something because of the waste of money to do so. And wasting money is something they want to do when our new goofball of a governor wants to take an axe to a boatload of the funding, something I'm still inclined to think the legislature won't let go too far.

It's because of the Auto Show. Keep in mind that 74th are using them as Orange Line Shuttles between Halsted/Archer and King Drive/McCormick Place.

And interesting to see that 74th is still providing much of the Auto Show special service.

As for the rumors that Kedzie will lose its artics like 77th, I'm having a hard time seeing that because of the question of where they will go in addition to it's harder now with 300 plus artics total to balance artic assignments and redistribute current higher ridership routes without creating even more excessive deadheading beyond the already stupid levels with the current excessive bus swapping to even facilitate another garage shedding artics. NP is already at 130 and doesn't need more. 103rd had its increase in part from 77th shedding artics for the umpteenth time so they don't need more down there either. 77th doesn't seem to want to keep artics so that's a no go very likely. Chicago wouldn't have the space without giving up a crapload of 40 footers and the other two don't have the maintenance capability to be assigned any.

Um but BusHunter, a lot of the other 1800s at 74th are rehabbed so that wouldn't completely explain why that lone bus found itself back at Chicago. It just proves for sure that whoever is approving all these stupid shifts is smoking something because of the waste of money to do so. And wasting money is something they want to do when our new goofball of a governor wants to take an axe to a boatload of the funding, something I'm still inclined to think the legislature won't let go too far.

But Jajuan, all the rehab buses have been going up north now for close to 3 weeks, so what makes #1886 so special that it deviates from the rule? Looks like the south side has all the rehab buses they are going to get for now, but I still say when the buses are all rehabbed the #1800's will find their way back to 103rd. We haven't seen the last of the swapapocalypse.

But Jajuan, all the rehab buses have been going up north now for close to 3 weeks, so what makes #1886 so special that it deviates from the rule? Looks like the south side has all the rehab buses they are going to get for now, but I still say when the buses are all rehabbed the #1800's will find their way back to 103rd. We haven't seen the last of the swapapocalypse.

I didn't say it was special. The point I'm making is every time any of us tried seeing any pattern to the crazy levels of swapping seen in the past few weeks, CTA manages to throw out a curve ball. Looking at North Park for instance, a good number of those NP picked up in this swapocalypse were already rehabbed. That was the curve ball CTA had in reserve just as it was looking like you had something with initial appearances that they were stacking the unrehabbed buses on the north side. :lol::P But for what it's worth one pattern that they are holding to is that this current situation is much like during the time that the 7900s' soon to be retired older sisters the 6400s were brand new and still getting delivered when CTA had a bus rehab project going at the same time as that Nova delivery period, the rehabbing of the 4400s. And then just as now, garage bus assignments were just as unstable and constantly changing it seemed every time you took a look at what was what. I happened to remember and realize that last night as I was headed to work.

I didn't say it was special. The point I'm making is every time any of us tried seeing any pattern to the crazy levels of swapping seen in the past few weeks, CTA manages to throw out a curve ball. Looking at North Park for instance, a good number of those NP picked up in this swapocalypse were already rehabbed. That was the curve ball CTA had in reserve just as it was looking like you had something with initial appearances that they were stacking the unrehabbed buses on the north side. :lol::P But for what it's worth one pattern that they are holding to is that this current situation is much like during the time that the 7900s' soon to be retired older sisters the 6400s were brand new and still getting delivered when CTA had a bus rehab project going at the same time as that Nova delivery period, the rehabbing of the 4400s. And then just as now, garage bus assignments were just as unstable and constantly changing it seemed every time you took a look at what was what. I happened to remember and realize that last night as I was headed to work.

Maybe I pointed out something there about the north side getting the screw job and someone stepped up and said well we will give them the rest of the rehabs. I tell you if they didn't think of something fast Kedzie was never going to make it with 100 rehabs in one season. Now, I don't think there are hardly any #6400 Novas at 74th that don't have the updated clever device. So i got something new to gripe about!! :P You know they even had #6820 back on the #62 with an updated clever device. What happened, it was too confusing for us retro guys up here!! Well we should get some now if we don't already have some but why do that unless the 74th #6400 fleet is what is being kept?

Maybe I pointed out something there about the north side getting the screw job and someone stepped up and said well we will give them the rest of the rehabs. I tell you if they didn't think of something fast Kedzie was never going to make it with 100 rehabs in one season. Now, I don't think there are hardly any #6400 Novas at 74th that don't have the updated clever device. So i got something new to gripe about!! :P You know they even had #6820 back on the #62 with an updated clever device. What happened, it was too confusing for us retro guys up here!! Well we should get some now if we don't already have some but why do that unless the 74th #6400 fleet is what is being kept?

I think they want to keep you and everyone else trying to make out a pattern in all this swapping guessing. :lol::P As is they already look to be bringing some of those 6800s back to FG. But that is one theory of yours that's probably holding in all this mess. :lol: The question becomes what if anything got retired by the 8000s at 74th so far displacing some 6800s back up to FG?

Little more random findings on YouTube from CTA....

This one was from a couple years ago... guy rips New Flyer apart and tries to steal it. Presumably a deranged passenger who was told to leave the bus...

http://youtu.be/t7QSh54lh5s

Angry lady spits on CTA Bus Operator(inside sneeze guard) from 2014...

http://youtu.be/hrRFZUsLQro

To quote my previous statement in another post "This wasn't regular stupid, this was college 300-level course advanced stupid."

• Upvote 1

First one looks like 47th and Lake Park.

Second one, maybe the videographer should have had better focus on the CD sign.

Seems like pretty foul language nonetheless.

That first one is 47th/Lake Park. Must have been on a weekend, probably before the DE60LF/R's were delivered. Wondering why the cop didn't stop after seein a crowd of people and a bus driver outside a bus?

EDIT: I guess there are other other ways to interpret that, like a breakdown. Certainly, the would-be thief had a mental one.

Little more random findings on YouTube from CTA....

This one was from a couple years ago... guy rips New Flyer apart and tries to steal it. Presumably a deranged passenger who was told to leave the bus...

http://youtu.be/t7QSh54lh5s

Angry lady spits on CTA Bus Operator(inside sneeze guard) from 2014...

http://youtu.be/hrRFZUsLQro

From what an operator told me about CTA now being set up so that they won't move after an operator leaves the driver's seat unless they log back into the Clever Devices. She told me that each time they leave their seat they have to log back in to verify their login ID. She said that was Bus Operations' response to the guy who was able to steal a bus from 103rd Garage a few years ago. So this would be thief would not have been able to get that bus to move no matter how much he tried based on that info, hence his destructive tantrum caught in the video.

Well western just got more screwed up. Now they are detouring sb at Belmont to Elston to Western. The nb's seem to be getting through. There was a nb bus south of belmont on western. The operator said the detour was until late march.

Yeah according to CTA's website that detour just started this morning and is in effect at least until March 31 due to water main construction work that's supposed to be going on between Belmont and Nelson.

if your referring to #6872 at chicago, chicago's got #6871 too.

Yeah I was speaking about the move to Chicago. So now they're going to shift 6800s to Chicago now that 74th is approaching the 50 mark in number of Smart Buses? And just leave FG with beat up 6600s (and 6400s?) from 74th I suppose.

That's not the half of it. The nb western is down to one lane between belmont and addison Together with jones to diversey being one lane but the nb is no longer detouring although it probably would be faster. A bus that was 45 minutes ahead of me was only 10 blocks in front of me.

It's sounding like it's a good thing that I now use the #9 more than I use the #49 to get to points south of me but don't necessarily require going through downtown to get there.

Yeah I was speaking about the move to Chicago. So now they're going to shift 6800s to Chicago now that 74th is approaching the 50 mark in number of Smart Buses? And just leave FG with beat up 6600s (and 6400s?) from 74th I suppose.

It's probably just a few #6800's, they must want to retire some #6400's there, but they could probably do that anyway with the influx of south side #1000's they've been getting. Those Nova buses at Chicago will probably be either at Fg or the scrap line at south shops before too long.

It's sounding like it's a good thing that I now use the #9 more than I use the #49 to get to points south of me but don't necessarily require going through downtown to get there.

You got to wonder if this will hurt #49 ridership. I was on a bus this evening with 6 or 7 riders and that's kind of rare for the #49. Plus the schedule has got to be screwed up because all the operators are losing 20-30 minutes easy by the time they get to the north terminal. I've seen alot of ins and outs at Berwyn. Yesterday they had a supervisor up there. I don't know why they don't do more short turns at the Brown line because this has to be messing up the relief times out south but anyone with a NP bus probably needs to go to Berwyn because some are pullins or they might be doing reliefs. Now the SB is hurting also because they have this detour now, so it will be hard to stay on schedule and there will be alot of bus bunching. They must really have a blast when Lane gets out. Probably 30-40 minute delays then.

• Upvote 1