More Bus Moves

sw4400

Spotted two trains on the Blue Line with blue lights, one of which only had the emergency lights on in the car with the blue light. It's a shame that the 2600s there aren't being fixed up more. :(

​Well depending on the year(cars were built between 1981 and 1987), they are between 28-34 years old respectively. 30 years is the life expectancy for "L" cars I believe(maybe 25). They did undergo a rehab at Alstom in Hornell, NY in 2000-2001, which is similar to the rehab the 3200's will be getting this year, except theirs will be done at Skokie Shops. Rarely does a series get a double major rehab as far as I know. They may get minor life-extending rehabs and those that are too badly off will be retired. The 3200's are getting tired too.... they've had door issues, equipment issues and trains that smelled like something was burning(I alerted a operator to one after I boarded at Irving Park on a car with a smoky odor, several in the car noticed it too. He put the train on delay mode at Addison and checked track-side for the source of the problem, which was the brakes.... I saw a little bit of smoke coming from the track side in-between a married pair. He did something to rectify the problem and continued on).

​Hm, I'm intrigued. I guess we just need to keep an eye on them! Not sure what there would be to hook a cable up to unless they added some fancy electronics in the underbody.

​Could be that was some kind of data link/cab signal test. I thought someone said why the #5000's ran that way. Cars will usually come in from a long term hold looking like that, all new and rehabbed looking. They have sent cars off to Delaware Car Company before that had problems that they couldn't fix, that were borderline retirement cars, usually in some type of accident, but I can't seem to figure out what happened to this car.

​Maybe they were seeing what they could do with 3458? I doubt it...I think if they do decide to rehab that pair it will be more extensive.

​There were statements that 100 of the 2600s would get a mild rehab, so maybe that's it. It now looks like those cars are going to have to last until about 2023. See 2013 budget page 56 (60 of the pdf).

The new undercar equipment would be consistent with:

The “C-light” overhaul will mainly refurbish in-kind, many of the key propulsion components of the 2600 Series cars to provide additional life and minimize unscheduled maintenance. Items that will be refurbished are the trucks, traction motors, propulsion groups and resistor grids.

Looks like CTA may eventually exercise the option for the Novas this year, but not in it's entirety. This article says the CTA has purchased 400 new buses(Nova LFS) and refurbished over 1,000(New Flyers). So, we won't be seeing 450 if this article is on the money...

Looks like CTA may eventually exercise the option for the Novas this year, but not in it's entirety. This article says the CTA has purchased 400 new buses(Nova LFS) and refurbished over 1,000(New Flyers). So, we won't be seeing 450 if this article is on the money...

​Usually, the 400 number includes the 4300s, which CTA has previously said replace Novas and Optimas. So, that sketchy article doesn't prove much. Note the use of the past tense ("has").

Also, note that the diction and links at the bottom indicate that CLTV* didn't do any original investigation.

_______
*Once described as "Children Learning TV."

• 2 weeks later...

Totally random... but if no one has noticed they retimed the beep for the CTA bus shelters. Instead of a constant beep, it now beeps once every 3 to 5 seconds. Much better then before. 

​I noticed that today at Ashland and Irving Park, but didn't think much about it... I thought the tracker at the shelter was broken. It actually is good though, because it sounded like a heart monitor before.... I was waiting for it to go into V-Fib or flatline, so I could break out the paddles, charge to 400 and bring it back to life... O.o:PxD

• Upvote 2

I was on car 3020 on the blue line yesterday on my way to a convention in Rosemont and all of the seats had the plastic seat cushions like in the driver's cab, instead of fabric ones like most cars. I honestly don't know why they don't use plastic/rubber seat cushions on all cars, seeing as it would be much easier to clean them (and to determine if they're clean)

Edited by briman94

I was on car 3020 on the blue line yesterday on my way to a convention in Rosemont and all of the seats had the plastic seat cushions like in the driver's cab, instead of fabric ones like most cars. I honestly don't know why they don't use plastic/rubber seat cushions on all cars, seeing as it would be much easier to clean them (and to determine if they're clean)

Because new fabric they got on CTA trains and buses are "anti-stain and anti-microbial fiber and ward off bacteria and fungi and to resist stains." so why CTA put them in since 2006. in my opinions they should go back to plastic seats or even I will take vinyl seats on the trains and buses.

Edited by ArcherRider

Because new fabric they got on CTA trains and buses are "anti-stain and anti-microbial fiber and ward off bacteria and fungi and to resist stains." so why CTA put them in since 2006. in my opinions they should go back to plastic seats or even I will take vinyl seats on the trains and buses.

​Also, tight weave to be antislash, which vinyl certainly isn't.

I don't believe that 1863 ever left NP.   Most of the 1700s & 1800s that migrated to 74th during the Swapacolypse were even-numbered,  but the pattern wasn't consistent.  Some odds were transferred while a few evens stayed behind.   (ex.:   1858-1859 & 1861-1862 made the switch,  but 1860 remained at NP.   Likewise,  1788-1791 migrated, but 1792 didn't).

​It's a newer old bus.

The question is whether it was filling in from, say 74th, or whether MrCTA85 gets his chance to drive one out of 103rd.

Lool!!! Nah that wasn't me buddy but I sure do wish it was though lol. I had the 15 in the a.m. today.  Hopefully we'll get more to come, I love those nova buses. 

Hidden Content

​hmm, maybe they are getting a few more novas. #6843 is only a couple buses from that. I don't think the #8100's are here unless 74th is picking up some NF's. #6432 on the #86 tonight had all signs not working side and rear didn't work, front had no number sign and Narragansett was a blurry mess. Someone might have to take a trip down to south shops and salvage some working signs!! :PxD

It looks as if at least nine 6400s have recently migrated to FG:  six from 74th  and three from C.   (I eyeballed BusTracker about 6:30 this evening).   No replacements for them appeared on Tracker at either of the sending garages.   Here are the #s:   From 74th;   6844,  6847,  6856-57,  6861,  &  6869.  From C;   6462,  6805,  &  6858.

To date,  200 Smart Buses have been added to the fleet,  but maybe slightly over 100 old Novas have been retired since the first 7900s arrived.   I doubt that that many (90+) NFs are sidelined for rehab at any given time.   So maybe the spare ratios at 74th and C --- especially at 74th --- can safely be lowered.

It looks as if at least nine 6400s have recently migrated to FG:  six from 74th  and three from C.   (I eyeballed BusTracker about 6:30 this evening).   No replacements for them appeared on Tracker at either of the sending garages.   Here are the #s:   From 74th;   6844,  6847,  6856-57,  6861,  &  6869.  From C;   6462,  6805,  &  6858.

To date,  200 Smart Buses have been added to the fleet,  but maybe slightly over 100 old Novas have been retired since the first 7900s arrived.   I doubt that that many (90+) NFs are sidelined for rehab at any given time.   So maybe the spare ratios at 74th and C --- especially at 74th --- can safely be lowered.

​Yes, I see #6844 is on the #85, #6856 is on the #86, #6462 is on the #80. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on FG now. Just when I thought they wouldn't retire anymore buses, they probably will do just that. I might have to refresh my retirement list, but probably next week. I like to give the buses a month to show up.

​I guess that answer's Busjack's question of whether Brandon's sighting of 6861 on 103 not to long ago was a loan.