More Bus Moves

sw4400

So what is going on at Roosevelt Green line? Everyone wants to know. I had some guy ask me what it was and some other guy was taking pictures. Looks like that thing that squirts water at Millennium Park. :P

555d5e9a6c9d7_now_whats_up_at_roosevelt.

555d5d844a0ad_whats_up_at_roosevelt_toda

​I was wondering the same thing! I was just there tonight at Jewel and I was like "what on earth is that thing?" It didn't look nearly big enough or slanty enough to be a stairway. It almost looks like some sort of scaffolding support for a scaffold they're building or something.

​I was wondering the same thing! I was just there tonight at Jewel and I was like "what on earth is that thing?" It didn't look nearly big enough or slanty enough to be a stairway. It almost looks like some sort of scaffolding support for a scaffold they're building or something.

​Possible new elevator shaft or the beginnings of one?

​Possible new elevator shaft or the beginnings of one?

​That one isn't likely, because the platform is in the middle and the whole setup of that station is that the paid area extends to the State-Roosevelt subway station.

So what is going on at Roosevelt Green line? Everyone wants to know. I had some guy ask me what it was and some other guy was taking pictures. Looks like that thing that squirts water at Millennium Park. :P

​Concept renderings for that block seem to depict a canopy and identifier.

(Note that the mid-block crosswalk has likely been nixed. This is a CDOT project on an IDOT road, and each agency has different priorities for roadway usage.)

Roosevelt_StateToWabash.png

​Concept renderings for that block seem to depict a canopy and identifier.

(Note that the mid-block crosswalk has likely been nixed. This is a CDOT project on an IDOT road, and each agency has different priorities for roadway usage.)

Roosevelt_StateToWabash.png

​Somehow, I don't see anything around the station other than the crosswalk.* Do you have a link to the project site?

One thing I noted when I commented on engineering drawings a few minutes ago--I don't think they are bringing back a 4400 bus on this route, either.

*I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the yellow things are light pole banners.

Kind of crazy if it's just pole banners. (I figured it was related to the Roosevelt streetscape). There is a metal support that goes under the elevated so that whole metal structure goes in a u shape from one side to the other. It could be some type of support until it is attached to the "L" structure. If I would have took a picture from State you would have seen what I mean.

Edited by BusHunter

​Somehow, I don't see anything around the station other than the crosswalk.* Do you have a link to the project site?

One thing I noted when I commented on engineering drawings a few minutes ago--I don't think they are bringing back a 4400 bus on this route, either.

*I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the yellow things are light pole banners.

​There's no project site that I'm aware of. Only info on this project is the various news articles from last year, along with these renderings. None specially discuss the structure at hand.

The overhead view in the rendering shows a faint yellow box over the sidewalks on both sides of the street. It's not labeled, but seems to represent the structure we're seeing.

The overhead view in the rendering shows a faint yellow box over the sidewalks on both sides of the street. It's not labeled, but seems to represent the structure we're seeing.

​Maybe you are referring to the street view, with the yellow thing next to the New Flyer bus.

Was out running this morning. Ran past Forest Glen.  NF #1407 was parked along the fence on Elston. 

​So could Fg actually have some NF's? They better hurry up and slap an F sticker on that sucker before it disappears!!.

They got to be getting close to some NF's anyway. There's only 90 possible #6400's to send them and it seems we are to the point with #1000 rehabs that the rehabs coming in are displacing #6400's. It's getting really hard to find an unrehabbed #1000 even at Kedzie. I only really saw 1 last week #1929. It's actually easier to find a mechanically rehabbed one now, but they are down to 108 buses that have had no rehab at all. Those buses will most likely displace the rest of the non FG #6400's and may even start lessoning the ones at FG.

Edited by BusHunter

New Flyer #1381 or 1318 on the #88 Higgins tonight.

​So could Fg actually have some NF's? They better hurry up and slap an F sticker on that sucker before it disappears!!.

They got to be getting close to some NF's anyway. There's only 90 possible #6400's to send them and it seems we are to the point with #1000 rehabs that the rehabs coming in are displacing #6400's. It's getting really hard to find an unrehabbed #1000 even at Kedzie. I only really saw 1 last week #1929. It's actually easier to find a mechanically rehabbed one now, but they are down to 108 buses that have had no rehab at all. Those buses will most likely displace the rest of the non FG #6400's and may even start lessoning the ones at FG.

​Unfortunately, #1381 is back at NP while on #97. #1318 and #1407 are not in service at this time being.

Was out running this morning. Ran past Forest Glen.  NF #1407 was parked along the fence on Elston. 

​Probably just a mirage because of the nice weather today.... Forest Glen doesn't get decent equipment, just the hand-me-downs that are sputtering slowly to their deaths....

4187 is back in service, it was out today as a J14.

​I was participating in the Memorial Day Parade today and I just happened to spot NF #4187 on the J14 blocking the intersection of State/Harrison. I couldn't believe my eyes what the blockheaded bus driver did.... He opened the door in the middle of the intersection and allowed his passengers to exit in the middle of the street with cars moving around them. I don't know what goes through some of the heads of these bus operators but clearly this driver put these passengers at great risk!. I should have reported it to CTA but who knows if they will take any action! Ive noticed quite a few operators being a little too relaxed in their duties. That driver of bus #4187 IMO lacks some serious common sense!

Edited by Guest

​I was participating in the Memorial Day Parade today and I just happened to spot NF #4187 on the J14 blocking the intersection of State/Harrison. I couldn't believe my eyes what the blockheaded bus driver did.... He opened the door in the middle of the intersection and allowed his passengers to exit in the middle of the street with cars moving around them. I don't know what goes through some of the heads of these bus operators but clearly this driver put these passengers at great risk!. I should have reported it to CTA but who knows if they will take any action! Ive noticed quite a few operators being a little too relaxed in their duties. That driver of bus #4187 IMO lacks some serious common sense!

​There are some CTA Bus Operators that lack common sense... #4187's lacks some, but the driver of this bus takes the cake, pie, and tart!!!

​Unfortunately, #1381 is back at NP while on #97. #1318 and #1407 are not in service at this time being.

​Garmon confirmed my thought that those were loans from NP. From what I've been seeing this past week, FG has been doing a lot of the Yellow Line Shuttle bus work. So If this holds, I'd say look for more loans to occur for the next few weeks until the Yellow Line is completely repaired with service restored.

​Garmon confirmed my thought that those were loans from NP. From what I've been seeing this past week, FG has been doing a lot of the Yellow Line Shuttle bus work. So If this holds, I'd say look for more loans to occur for the next few weeks until the Yellow Line is completely repaired with service restored.

​Maybe, but why not just send them more Novas, they can spare it now. What has been running the shuttles? FG buses? Unless they are worried about having old buses for shuttles. CTA always seems to run new buses for rail shuttles. I wouldn't be surprised if the shuttles were #4300's.

But then again this #1000 move might not be a loan as FG will probably get some anyway within 2-3 months. Change might finally be coming for FG. Like Reagan told Gorby in the 80's "Tear down this wall!!" It seems CTA has done a good job at constructing one.

​What business is it of yours?  If you were not on that bus, mind your own business.  You do not know what was going on inside the bus that prompted the driver to allow the riders to exit.

​What business is it of yours?  If you were not on that bus, mind your own business.  You do not know what was going on inside the bus that prompted the driver to allow the riders to exit.

​Even still, unless there was an emergency (and by the writing of the 5750, there didn't seem to be) it is dangerous, irresponsible and frankly idiotic to release passengers (who are people) into moving traffic. Unless you happen to have Iron Man's Veronica Armor, getting hit by moving traffic sucks, I should know.

• Upvote 2