More Bus Moves

sw4400

#6862 is out here on the #152. 

​Now that I'm looking at it #6464 is on the #81. 89 #6400's left to send to FG, but I wonder if Chicago and 74th might be doing a little retiring too. I haven't really seen hardly any #6840's lately at 74th mostly just #6848. They seem to be not running these much anymore. They only have 15 now and alot of the #6400's at Chicago might just retire out of that garage. One garage's trash is another garage's treasure!! 9_9:P

4186?? You sure cause I just saw that bus a few days ago. 4187 was the bus I haven't seen in a while. 

​Well, I know for sure that #4186 had some kind of fire that ripped a circle like part out by the rear door. I'm really not sure what's going on with #4187.

​Well, I know for sure that #4186 had some kind of fire that ripped a circle like part out by the rear door. I'm really not sure what's going on with #4187.

Maybe I'm trippin then that was probably 4196 i been seeing from a distance lol. But 4187 is definitely in service thats for sure.

​STUPID!!! JUST PLAIN STUPID!!! 

​Yes, I see #6844 is on the #85, #6856 is on the #86, #6462 is on the #80. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on FG now. Just when I thought they wouldn't retire anymore buses, they probably will do just that. I might have to refresh my retirement list, but probably next week. I like to give the buses a month to show up.

​One Nova will be coming to the CFD

​Damn someone edited my quote. o.O Although I probably do agree, but what can you do about it? Let the record state I didn't say the first line, even though I was probably thinking it. :P

BTW, I heard Busjack's favorite person from the Kruesi era is back in town. Carole Brown is now Rahm's chief of finance. I had to check and see if it was the same person, but it is. Taking care of that south side!!

I'm 99.9% sure that the buses at 74th will be returning to FG at some point, being the newest of the 6400-Series Novas. Chicago is another mystery, however.... I expect he 6700's and 6800's assigned to return to FG(or nearly all of them). The 6400's, 6500's and 6600's are the wild card.... some will be transferred over if they are in good shape, the rest will be retired.

I'm 99.9% sure that the buses at 74th will be returning to FG at some point, being the newest of the 6400-Series Novas. Chicago is another mystery, however.... I expect he 6700's and 6800's assigned to return to FG(or nearly all of them). The 6400's, 6500's and 6600's are the wild card.... some will be transferred over if they are in good shape, the rest will be retired.

​87 left!! If the #8100's didn't arrive for about 2 months, they might have most of those #6400's transferred to FG. Interesting, then do you send the #8100's to FG? I would only if there were no #8200's, but they could give them both the option and the rest of the base if they got all 450. Seems they are really hung up on Novas at FG.

Edited by BusHunter

​87 left!! If the #8100's didn't arrive for about 2 months, they might have most of those #6400's transferred to FG. Interesting, then do you send the #8100's to FG? I would only if there were no #8200's, but they could give them both the option and the rest of the base if they got all 450. Seems they are really hung up on Novas at FG.

​Honestly, I'd like to see the 8100's be assigned to FG, as they've been overlooked, had a few New Flyers to have them pulled off the roster and put back on. Then pull them off again... it's a tease there!

Realistically, they will remain a 100% 6400-Series bus garage until CTA decides to shift over some 1000's, or maybe do the right thing and put the 8100's there. Ether way, something's gotta give here!

As far as 8200-8349, I'm not holding out much hope for this option with the cuts still in the air.... I think the CTA has enough buses that are brand new(300) or rebuilt(1,030) to run the service if cuts do occur.

As far as 8200-8349, I'm not holding out much hope for this option with the cuts still in the air.... I think the CTA has enough buses that are brand new(300) or rebuilt(1,030) to run the service if cuts do occur.

​In the air hasn't really been substantiated. As jajuan and I have pointed out, the budget is a process. Apparently Madigan is trying to get an unconstitutional budget passed and is daring Rauner to veto it. Then he can run ads demonizing Rauner, when the legislature is apparently unable to do its constitutional duty to pass a budget where revenues meet expenditures.

• Upvote 1

I saw 1542 (77th). on State Street. It said "Chicago Garage" and had a Chicago run number. I don't know where it was headed. Maybe back to 77th after being used as a loaner? It was being driven by someone in a yellow vest. 

​STUPID!!! JUST PLAIN STUPID!!! 

​Yes, I see #6844 is on the #85, #6856 is on the #86, #6462 is on the #80. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on FG now. Just when I thought they wouldn't retire anymore buses, they probably will do just that. I might have to refresh my retirement list, but probably next week. I like to give the buses a month to show up.

​Damn someone edited my quote. o.O Although I probably do agree, but what can you do about it? Let the record state I didn't say the first line, even though I was probably thinking it. :P

BTW, I heard Busjack's favorite person from the Kruesi era is back in town. Carole Brown is now Rahm's chief of finance. I had to check and see if it was the same person, but it is. Taking care of that south side!!

​Sorry BusHunter  that was me! My bad! I was trying to quote the bus driver in the video! Still getting used to this new format! :)

So I don't usually ride buses at all, but since the brown line has been rerouted every weekend, I've ended up taking the brown line shuttle from Clark/Lake a lot and I had a couple random bus questions.

First, most of the shuttles are hybrid articulated buses. I was just curious...does the diesel engine on the hybrids actually have any connection to the wheels (like the hybrid SUV I drive) or is it simply a generator (like an EMD locomotive)?

Second, most of these buses have the standard CTA bus seat, but I was on one yesterday that had seats that were more modern-looking. Here's a picture:

i8s6D.jpg

Are there multiple models of hybrid articulated buses or is this one just an odd one out? (Don't remember the number, sorry)

So I don't usually ride buses at all, but since the brown line has been rerouted every weekend, I've ended up taking the brown line shuttle from Clark/Lake a lot and I had a couple random bus questions.

First, most of the shuttles are hybrid articulated buses. I was just curious...does the diesel engine on the hybrids actually have any connection to the wheels (like the hybrid SUV I drive) or is it simply a generator (like an EMD locomotive)?

Second, most of these buses have the standard CTA bus seat, but I was on one yesterday that had seats that were more modern-looking. Here's a picture:

Hidden Content

Are there multiple models of hybrid articulated buses or is this one just an odd one out? (Don't remember the number, sorry)

​The diesel engines are connected to the wheels. The buses are powered by GM-Allison’s parallel hybrid drive system as are the 800s. The 900s had a serial drive where the wheels were powered only from the battery. Your SUV is probably serial/parallel operating in both modes depending on conditions (the Prius definitely is).

All cta articulated buses are from New Flyer

4000-4149 are DE60LF have bench seats in the front section only (58 seats)

4150-4207 are DE60LF have the seats you photographed above and have bench seating in both sections (50 seats)

4300-4332 are DE60LFR with conventional seating for 62

4333-4399 are D60LFR (diesel only) with conventional seating for 62

Edited by busfan2847
  • Upvote 5