More Bus Moves

sw4400

​The diesel engines are connected to the wheels. The buses are powered by GM-Allison’s parallel hybrid drive system as are the 800s. The 900s had a serial drive where the wheels were powered only from the battery. Your SUV is probably serial/parallel operating in both modes depending on conditions (the Prius definitely is).

​Both the Allison and Toyota systems have in common that there is a gearset in the transmission that determines how much, if any propulsion is provided by the petrol engine (gasoline or diesel) or the electric engine. I see that even Allison claims it mixes series and parallel operation, whatever that means. Something like the Chevy Volt (at least pre 2016) or Honda Accord might have either series or parallel propulsion in the sense of whether the gasoline engine is mechanically connected and disconnected from the wheels.

The distinction is between that and the pure series system (900s and BAE), which has absolutely no connection between the petrol engine and the wheels. The shill electrician on Ask This Old House last week referred to it as "an electric car with a gas electric generator" while installing a charger for a pure electric car.

​The diesel engines are connected to the wheels. The buses are powered by GM-Allison’s parallel hybrid drive system as are the 800s. The 900s had a serial drive where the wheels were powered only from the battery. Your SUV is probably serial/parallel operating in both modes depending on conditions (the Prius definitely is).

All cta articulated buses are from New Flyer

4000-4149 are DE60LF have bench seats in the front section only (58 seats)

4150-4207 are DE60LF have the seats you photographed above and have bench seating in both sections (50 seats)

4300-4332 are DE62LFR with conventional seating for 62

4333-4399 are D62LFR (diesel only) with conventional seating for 62

​Well..... kind of yes and kind of no.... the diesel engine powers the transmission, which is connected to the transaxle, which powers the drive wheels of the bus. With the hybrids, the diesel/electric hybrid engine powers the transmission.

​Well..... kind of yes and kind of no.... the diesel engine powers the transmission, which is connected to the transaxle, which powers the drive wheels of the bus. With the hybrids, the diesel/electric hybrid engine powers the transmission.

​Unless it doesn't have a transmission, or the leg bone is connected to the ankle bone.

​Maybe, but why not just send them more Novas, they can spare it now. What has been running the shuttles? FG buses? Unless they are worried about having old buses for shuttles. CTA always seems to run new buses for rail shuttles. I wouldn't be surprised if the shuttles were #4300's.

But then again this #1000 move might not be a loan as FG will probably get some anyway within 2-3 months. Change might finally be coming for FG. Like Reagan told Gorby in the 80's "Tear down this wall!!" It seems CTA has done a good job at constructing one.

​Well not one bus sent out on the Yellow Line shuttles so far has been a New Flyer of any current CTA model, borrowed or otherwise and definitely no artics out there with the Yellow Line being such a relatively lower ridership rail route, from what I've seen each time I've been passing through Howard terminal during the few weeks so far since the Yellow Line service disruption began. All have been FG's Novas. Those NFs borrowed by FG haven't been getting used on the shuttles but on FG's regular routes. So that throws a monkey wrench in your older buses not being used on rail replacement shuttle work theory. And my comment about FG borrowing New Flyers was not meant to suggest or state that they're being borrowed for the express purpose of placing them on the Yellow Shuttle route. I mentioned the borrowing in conjunction with the shuttles only to say that FG has possibly been borrowing buses because it's been sending some of its Novas out to run the Yellow Line shuttle and thus needed buses to help operate its regular service routes. 

• Upvote 1

​I saw E270 in Rogers Park today, replacing some other piece of CFD equipment. It sounded so bad, I'm surprised it wasn't being towed. It also looked like crap.

​I live near the area so I've had similar thoughts about E270. I've seen it quite regularly at the Clark and Peterson firehouse, which I live walking distance from, and the firehouse further north at the firehouse up near Clark and Chase, which it sounds like might be the one you were near since you mentioned Rogers Park

​Well not one bus sent out on the Yellow Line shuttles so far has been a New Flyer of any current CTA model, borrowed or otherwise and definitely no artics out there with the Yellow Line being such a relatively lower ridership rail route, from what I've seen each time I've been passing through Howard terminal during the few weeks so far since the Yellow Line service disruption began. All have been FG's Novas. Those NFs borrowed by FG haven't been getting used on the shuttles but on FG's regular routes. So that throws a monkey wrench in your older buses not being used on rail replacement shuttle work theory. And my comment about FG borrowing New Flyers was not meant to suggest or state that they're being borrowed for the express purpose of placing them on the Yellow Shuttle route. I mentioned the borrowing in conjunction with the shuttles only to say that FG has possibly been borrowing buses because it's been sending some of its Novas out to run the Yellow Line shuttle and thus needed buses to help operate its regular service routes.

they probably got some form of interline as far as North Park runs on shuttles. I remember seeing like 3 or 4 4300s out there when I went but that was still kinda in the rush so that may have a part in it too.

they probably got some form of interline as far as North Park runs on shuttles. I remember seeing like 3 or 4 4300s out there when I went but that was still kinda in the rush so that may have a part in it too.

​Well while catching up on the posts I missed due to work and Memorial Day, I did learn in the rail thread devoted to the Yellow Line disruption that NP has indeed sent some buses out on the shuttles but oddly enough in addition, to the rush hour artics you saw a few times, a lot of it during evening times that CTA overall ridership tends to be smaller or taper off from rush period daily highs. A lot of my times passing through Howard terminal since the accident sidelining the Yellow Line occurred have been pretty much been during the later parts of AM rush and weekday daytime off peak hours. And those times it seems that FG handles of lot of the shuttle service if not all of it during those times. And yeah, when the summer pick starts in about three weeks time, the expansion of the beach services to full through trips from the current shuttle buses extensions connecting to the relevant main routes might make things interesting. However, the route giving beach service relevant to FG is the 78, and the 78's beach service has always been restricted to weekends only from the moment CTA expanded its beach service to include that route. So the impact on FG might not be too high given many of FG's assigned routes outside of the few "core"/high service level routes it has have drastically reduced weekend service levels or no weekend service at all. The real question is whether this service disruption on the Yellow Line will extend very far into the summer pick.

@Jajuan: That's why I went up there and was shocked they were running the old junk. Take riders off a new #5000 and put them on an old junk bus that's about had it. 9_9 BTW, I saw a few dead ones today. #6554 on the #37 kept dying out. I saw the bus stranded twice and #6836 was dead on the #152. I don't know how FG can keep these old junks going. #6474 actually had some good acceleration today on the #80. But soon they will get some fresher buses, there is only 87 left and each #1000 rehabbed now sends a Nova to FG. Some buses will probably get retired and never move so they might really be moving just 60-65 buses. If they receive the #8100's regardless of where they'll go, then that's it for an all #6400 fleet at FG. It's been too long in coming already. ¬¬

@Jajuan: That's why I went up there and was shocked they were running the old junk. Take riders off a new #5000 and put them on an old junk bus that's about had it. 9_9 BTW, I saw a few dead ones today. #6554 on the #37 kept dying out. I saw the bus stranded twice and #6836 was dead on the #152. I don't know how FG can keep these old junks going. #6474 actually had some good acceleration today on the #80. But soon they will get some fresher buses, there is only 87 left and each #1000 rehabbed now sends a Nova to FG. Some buses will probably get retired and never move so they might really be moving just 60-65 buses. If they receive the #8100's regardless of where they'll go, then that's it for an all #6400 fleet at FG. It's been too long in coming already. ¬¬

​Speaking of 6400s, I was surprised to see more than one on the #9 this morning in less than hour's time. 6400s at 74th have become so few that it's gotten to a point that it takes an hour or more a lot of times to see more than one in service on the #9. And the #94 has once again gone from majority Nova weekdays to majority New Flyer for the first time since that route went from split 74th and Chicago garage coverage to full 74th coverage.

​I saw E270 in Rogers Park today, replacing some other piece of CFD equipment. It sounded so bad, I'm surprised it wasn't being towed. It also looked like crap.

​I love how those spare trucks drive. They have the same DD 6V92 like the old Pace Orion Is. When I get a chance to drive one, they remind me of the Orion Is that I drove for Pace.

​On a typical hybrid drive like my Toyota SUV or a Prius or something, the engine's starter acts as a generator, but the engine can also be mechanically connected to and disconnected from the transmission on demand, so it can either power the battery or the wheels or both.

Is it normal for a Purple Line to R6.4 halfway downtown? Between basically every stop we'd be going fine, and then slow down to ~10-15 MPH and the thing would start beeping every few seconds. I've never seen that happen before except during construction or single-tracking.

Is it normal for a Purple Line to R6.4 halfway downtown? Between basically every stop we'd be going fine, and then slow down to ~10-15 MPH and the thing would start beeping every few seconds. I've never seen that happen before except during construction or single-tracking.

​Depends where. I've been on some where the Purple was following the Brown too closely, and since it did not have helicopter rotors, beeped every time the Brown stopped at a station. And, since the stations are every 2 blocks or so, that meant it beeped pretty constantly.

​Depends where. I've been on some where the Purple was following the Brown too closely, and since it did not have helicopter rotors, beeped every time the Brown stopped at a station. And, since the stations are every 2 blocks or so, that meant it beeped pretty constantly.

​We were behind a brownage and a brown line, but this was between Armitage and Mart...I didn't think the signals were that dense in those locations.

​We were behind a brownage and a brown line, but this was between Armitage and Mart...I didn't think the signals were that dense in those locations.

​It isn't how dense the signals are, but how close on the prior train's tail you were. However, the Brownage wouldn't have as many stops in that stretch.

It still highlights what you implied in your other thread that the Purple should go into the subway, but with all the proposed construction zones on the north main, I don't see the Purple really being express until maybe 2027.

​It isn't how dense the signals are, but how close on the prior train's tail you were. However, the Brownage wouldn't have as many stops in that stretch.

It still highlights what you implied in your other thread that the Purple should go into the subway, but with all the proposed construction zones on the north main, I don't see the Purple really being express until maybe 2027.

​Probably not. Although I do have to say, I'm quite impressed with the progress so far on the track rehab for the Ravenswood connector. In the 5000s, it's like riding on a cloud because they've removed a lot of joints.