More Bus Moves

sw4400

So, instead of pressing the button to notify the operator or pull the emergency stop (if he was really THAT concerned), this goof decides to pull out his phone and video. I guess that is one way to get your mug on the evening news. SMH

I never seen any emergency stop on the rail cars, just the door cherries. And with the way these Darwin Award-winning passengers are, I don't think I want one.... can you imagine that???

Brown Line train departs Belmont for Wellington..... genius realizes he/she missed their stop(into cell conversation/sleeping, etc...). They say "HEY, THAT'S MY STOP!!!" *runs over to the emergency stop cord and pulls it* train lurches and shudders to a quick stop as it was going about 15-20 mph, and genius runs to whatever car is still berthed at Belmont and pulls a door cherry to open the door and get off. Now you got a ajar door and a stuck train until the Rail Operator does whatever he/she has to do to get the train moving again after doing an inspection as to why the train stopped suddenly.

I don't think a emergency stop is a good idea with these yahoos on the rails....

Taking off from a yard by themselves, running with the doors open..., these 2600s are getting dangerous! What is it going to take to get the CTA to realize that their trains aren't safe anymore?

.... As for the yard fiasco, wasn't the equipment but lack of maintenance and procedures. Oh and lets not forget the end all be all PTC the feds want you to believe is the ultimate safety mechanism (NOT) that worked, but yet didn't....

Last first, it was the equipment in that the equipment wasn't properly maintained. The preliminary report was that water shorted out something in an electrical box. CTA doesn't have PTC, but the preliminary report was that the red cab signals stopped the train on several occasions but the train itself activated Rule 6.4 and restarted. The only things suspicious under procedures was somehow leaving the car "on" while parked on the hold track, and having the hold track connected to the mainline. However, while in CTA's case it is always a combination of things, theoretically nothing would have happened if the stuff that was supposed to stop the train did.

While I have no way of telling if this train was run in bypass or not, I agree with Briman that these are two instances when the electric interlocks should have stopped the train and did not. Whether telling the operator anything would have made any difference isn't evident either.

So, instead of pressing the button to notify the operator or pull the emergency stop (if he was really THAT concerned), this goof decides to pull out his phone and video. I guess that is one way to get your mug on the evening news. SMH

Although I would not advocate pulling the emergency stop, the first thing that crossed my mind was "Why didn't the guy push the button that contacts the train operator?" Whatever happened to "if you see something, say something?" Good thing it wasn't an unattended duffle bag that was ticking away.

Edited by rvwnsd
  • Upvote 2

I never seen any emergency stop on the rail cars, just the door cherries. And with the way these Darwin Award-winning passengers are, I don't think I want one.... can you imagine that???

Brown Line train departs Belmont for Wellington..... genius realizes he/she missed their stop(into cell conversation/sleeping, etc...). They say "HEY, THAT'S MY STOP!!!" *runs over to the emergency stop cord and pulls it* train lurches and shudders to a quick stop as it was going about 15-20 mph, and genius runs to whatever car is still berthed at Belmont and pulls a door cherry to open the door and get off. Now you got a ajar door and a stuck train until the Rail Operator does whatever he/she has to do to get the train moving again after doing an inspection as to why the train stopped suddenly.

I don't think a emergency stop is a good idea with these yahoos on the rails....

I last saw an emergency stop cord on the 6000s.

I last saw an emergency stop cord on the 6000s.

I don't think CTA did away with the cherries, which is to what this referred. They should stop the train and open the door, except the door was already open.

I don't think CTA did away with the cherries, which is to what this referred. They should stop the train and open the door, except the door was already open.

Everything up to and including the 5000s have e-stop cherries at the middle of each pair, in each car.

Looks like they rolled #6524 out of the closet, but it's not at Fg!! :D It's on the #37. There's a few Fg buses that appear to be gone #6462, one of them,  which was an oddball with the seats. Fg seems to get rid of the oddball buses. #6673 and #6618 didn't last long either. I wonder if #6758 will be back. They wouldn't retire it because the sign don't work would they? That repair sounds simple, just take the parts off #6753, if that is gone.

Last first, it was the equipment in that the equipment wasn't properly maintained. The preliminary report was that water shorted out something in an electrical box. CTA doesn't have PTC, but the preliminary report was that the red cab signals stopped the train on several occasions but the train itself activated Rule 6.4 and restarted. The only things suspicious under procedures was somehow leaving the car "on" while parked on the hold track, and having the hold track connected to the mainline. However, while in CTA's case it is always a combination of things, theoretically nothing would have happened if the stuff that was supposed to stop the train did.

While I have no way of telling if this train was run in bypass or not, I agree with Briman that these are two instances when the electric interlocks should have stopped the train and did not. Whether telling the operator anything would have made any difference isn't evident either.

I will respectfully disagree. Cab signals are a form of PTC...if there is a train ahead and the operator does nothing to stop the train an audible alarm sounds and the train will stop if no action is taken...or, if a train exceeds its allowable speed, the operator has to take action after the audible alarm is sounded or the train will stop. In both cases, that is positive train control. In the case of Forest Park, it worked as the train stopped 5 times, but because it was cut in it kept starting. In the O'Hare incident, the train was travelling at allowable speed when the operator dozed off. My point is that PTC is not foolproof as these two incidents indicate. 

I will respectfully disagree. Cab signals are a form of PTC...if there is a train ahead and the operator does nothing to stop the train an audible alarm sounds and the train will stop if no action is taken...or, if a train exceeds its allowable speed, the operator has to take action after the audible alarm is sounded or the train will stop. In both cases, that is positive train control. In the case of Forest Park, it worked as the train stopped 5 times, but because it was cut in it kept starting. In the O'Hare incident, the train was travelling at allowable speed when the operator dozed off. My point is that PTC is not foolproof as these two incidents indicate. 

Technically not, as PTC requires GPS, while the CTA system relies on track circuits. However, I agree (going back to the 1977 wreck at Wabash and Lake) that the CTA system isn't foolproof, and CTA certainly has a number of fools. It basically gets down to what caused the accidents (apparently in the Forest Park situation, equipment problems) and what should have prevented the accidents but did not (the cab signal system). Similarly, in the open door case, we don't know what kept the door open, but the interlocks and lights should have stopped the train if the door was not closed.

Getting back to true PTC, if it works as represents, it would have stopped the 2 Metra trains before they went over the crossover at 47th at 70 mph instead of 10, the Metro North train that derailed taking a curve at 80 mph, and the Amtrak train in Philadelphia that took a 50 mph curve at 106. We don't know why the 4 operators at issue egregiously exceeded the speed limit, but at least there would have been a difference if PTC existed and gave a signal that the speed limit was 120. I guess we also have to take the NTSB's word for it (until the next accident) that moving back the track trip will prevent the next O'Hare accident (I don't think they ever explained why the deadman control didn't stop the train, either).

Technically not, as PTC requires GPS, while the CTA system relies on track circuits. However, I agree (going back to the 1977 wreck at Wabash and Lake) that the CTA system isn't foolproof, and CTA certainly has a number of fools. It basically gets down to what caused the accidents (apparently in the Forest Park situation, equipment problems) and what should have prevented the accidents but did not (the cab signal system). Similarly, in the open door case, we don't know what kept the door open, but the interlocks and lights should have stopped the train if the door was not closed.

Getting back to true PTC, if it works as represents, it would have stopped the 2 Metra trains before they went over the crossover at 47th at 70 mph instead of 10, the Metro North train that derailed taking a curve at 80 mph, and the Amtrak train in Philadelphia that took a 50 mph curve at 106. We don't know why the 4 operators at issue egregiously exceeded the speed limit, but at least there would have been a difference if PTC existed and gave a signal that the speed limit was 120. I guess we also have to take the NTSB's word for it (until the next accident) that moving back the track trip will prevent the next O'Hare accident (I don't think they ever explained why the deadman control didn't stop the train, either).

You left off the Chatsworth Metrolink head on collision which brought about the PTC law. There the idiot Metrolink engineer was texting & ignored a red signal & left the siding & entered the mainline track & hit the freight locomotive, killing himself & about 26 others I think. My sister normally rode that exact train most days & stopped after that & drives to work now.

I also rode it a few times while visiting her. It goes through three tunnels & some beautiful desert mountains in Rocky Peak Park where they used to film hundreds, maybe a few thousand cowboy movies & TV shows. I can now recognize the areas if I see it in a movie or TV show.

cta3304c.jpg

For those who don't believe...right side next to the number.

Lovely.... now some genius who wants off the train right now will run to this cherry and pull it, putting the train into emergency... then genius will pull the door cherry and leave the train(wherever it's berthed in the station).

People don't care as long as they can get off.

• Upvote 3

Lovely.... now some genius who wants off the train right now will run to this cherry and pull it, putting the train into emergency... then genius will pull the door cherry and leave the train(wherever it's berthed in the station).

I don't think too many people on this forum are going to pull it except in a real emergency

I've seen two different idiots, both twenty something guys, pull the cherry to open the door on a moving train while I was in the same car as them. Once at Harrison & once at Wilson. At Harrison, that idiot crashed into the end wall of the station as the Polk St. exit was closed & boarded up then. He was limping when he got up. At Wilson, it was at the north end of the platform on a NB train & that idiot almost went over the far side edge & onto the tracks. On both occasions, the train stopped & the conductor [yeah, it was that long ago] quickly opened, then closed the doors & on we went.

Young guys can be really stupid!

Nothing new about that. That was one of the first scenes in The Million Dollar Rip-off (1976), just after a perp tried to hijack a Lake-Dan Ryan train to Wrigley Field (I had seen something similar in real life a couple of months earlier).

I also doubt that the station agents who were ripping off fares got the idea from that movie, but that resulted in the cash fare system being eliminated in favor of the Cubic mag card system.

Door bypass - there are two ways you can bypass a door. The proper way is to open the access panel next to the door and throw the toggle switch, then manually close the door and open both access panels and turn the red cams that go behind each door leaf to prevent it from opening more than about an inch. This is how it is supposed to be done. However... there is a second way, namely a button in the cab that bypasses the brake interlock. First you turn the bypass panel on with a key, they push the button to release the interlock. This would be done if there is an electrical short in the door circuit, such as the pins in a coupler not meeting, or a shorted-out door control panel, and in this instance the train should be discharged before moving out of the next station, as now any door on the train can be opened without interlock kicking in. It appears in this instance the operator cut out the one door but did not engage the manual locks, a major safety violation.

• Upvote 2

Just saw a crazy destination sign on the #54. It listed a number 44115 and a name deandre drink. Could that have been a badge number on display on the destinations.  The only way to know is if this person does work at chicago. it was on bus #1949 if anyone wants to see it out south. 

Looks like you have the usual set up today for Navy Pier Fireworks:

#29: 74th and 77th helping out. (103rd sending mixture of busses)(74/77 sending mostly 7900/8000).

#65: Kedzie/NP are helping out by sending 4000 and 4300 series

#66: 74th and FG helping out 

The pre staging of  busses seems to be working somewhat.

Nothing yet for Soldier Field...

Just saw a crazy destination sign on the #54. It listed a number 44115 and a name deandre drink. Could that have been a badge number on display on the destinations.  The only way to know is if this person does work at chicago. it was on bus #1949 if anyone wants to see it out south.

What this is (and I have seen it) is somebody who competed at the last Roadeo. Somehow the code got mistakenly associated with a destination on this bus, and nobody seems to have noticed. There have been other errors like this, like last pick all EB 77's were running with Nature Museum signs, and 6's deadheading from 79th to Wacker/Columbus were running with "North Park Garage" up. Programming errors.