More Bus Moves

sw4400

I'm visiting Chicago this week from San Diego. While waiting for the light to change at Lawrence and Milwaukee I saw a 1000 series New Flyer bus turn from Lawrence onto Milwaukee. The destination sign indicated it was an instruction bus. I don't suppose NFIs are making their way to Forest Glen?

I'm visiting Chicago this week from San Diego. While waiting for the light to change at Lawrence and Milwaukee I saw a 1000 series New Flyer bus turn from Lawrence onto Milwaukee. The destination sign indicated it was an instruction bus. I don't suppose NFIs are making their way to Forest Glen?

Maybe, they should be getting some soon, at least by September. Chicago's fleet  is overstocked now with buses in the upper 290's, they could stand to lose a few buses. (maybe this weekend they'll be a transfer) Usually the fleet hovers around 280-283. You hardly see any #6400's in service now at Chicago, might be you see one like yesterday or you see a couple. i was noticing the buses that arrive three weekends ago go in service the third week they arrived from plattsburg. So then there should be #8127 and #8128 in service tomorrow.

Not a bus move yet,   but possibly a  sign of another round of transfers to begin very soon.

I spotted a NF instruction bus heading east on Peterson near Pulaski.   It was 1695,  a loaner from NP.   Probably a pretty safe assumption that operators assigned to FG within the past year-and-a-half are being introduced to the New Flyers.

Kind of makes sense.   By the time the low 8140s hit the street,  Chicago Avenue will have nothing but NFs to send to The Glen.   It'll be interesting to see whether FG gets NFs directly from C, or if instead there's a li'l two-step dance involving other garages.  (example:   Some 1930s from C returning to 77th, and 77th dispatching first-generation 1000s to FG).

Another scenario:   C keeps its remaining 30-or-so 6400s,  thus freeing up more 1000s for FG.  Since the 8200s aren't expected until May, 2016,  it would make sense to ratchet up the roster of New Flyers at The Glen closer to 100.

Nothing would surprise me though.

Edited by wordguy
additional narrative

I'm seeing some Novas being put on the #151 Sheridan bus route. Guess FG is going NP some extra capacity due to the Air & Water Show.

4 #8100's are on the #72, that must be a new record. No help from FG though.

Also, BisTracker shows some 7900s on 151 and 8055 on 72.

Do we have any correspondents on the forum who work out of 103rd Garage? I was aboard bus 1599 working 95E westbound at 93rd and Jeffery about 9:30pm on 8/16/2015. Just after we crossed Jeffery I heard a loud bang and window next to the front door seemed to shatter o.O. We boarded the next bus as the driver used a cell phone to call it in.  I couldn't tell if it was a gunshot or a some other projectile [i didn't see anything come through the window]. Also while exiting it looked like glass was still in the frame. Does CTA use a dual pane safety glass on the New Flyer windows? I got a couple of pics but they aren't good enough to tell the story. Hopefully someone at 103rd can shed light on this.

Edited by geneking7320
corrected spelling

Do we have any correspondents on the forum who work out of 103rd Garage? I was boarded bus 1599 working 95E westbound at 93rd and Jeffery about 9:30pm on 8/16/2015. Just after we crossed Jeffery I heard a loud bang and window next to the front door seemed to shatter o.O. We boarded the next bus as the driver used a cell phone to call it in.  I couldn't tell if it was a gunshot or a some other projectile [i didn't see anything come through the window]. Also while exiting it looked like glass was still in the frame. Does CTA use a dual pane safety glass on the New Flyer windows? I got a couple of pics but they aren't good enough to tell the story. Hopefully someone at 103rd can shed light on this.

Usually the graffiti protection that they put on the window keeps the shattered glass from breaking fully. Probably some kids threw something at the bus, if it was a bullet or bb gun shot it would leave a circular crater in the glass.

Edited by BusHunter

Do we have any correspondents on the forum who work out of 103rd Garage? I was boarded bus 1599 working 95E westbound at 93rd and Jeffery about 9:30pm on 8/16/2015. Just after we crossed Jeffery I heard a loud bang and window next to the front door seemed to shatter o.O. We boarded the next bus as the driver used a cell phone to call it in.  I couldn't tell if it was a gunshot or a some other projectile [i didn't see anything come through the window]. Also while exiting it looked like glass was still in the frame. Does CTA use a dual pane safety glass on the New Flyer windows? I got a couple of pics but they aren't good enough to tell the story. Hopefully someone at 103rd can shed light on this.

Usually the graffiti protection that they put on the window keeps the shattered glass from breaking fully. Probably some kids threw something at the bus, if it was a bullet or bb gun shot it would leave a circular crater in the glass.

That probably wouldn't be enough, but side bus windows haven't been glass since the late 70s. There should be a DOT logo stamped into it saying it is Lexan or whatever the modern equivalent is. The windshield, of course, is laminated glass.

I literally cracked up laughing when I saw this bus stop sign on Battlefield: Hardline! xD

image.jpg

Might be Chicago of the future..... Conceal Carry in the State of Illinois, Emanuel Administration at City level, Rauner Administration at State level, potentially Trump or Bush Administration at National level....

Must be a lot of messed up signs in the network... boarded a NB #50 bus today that said...

#50 Damen

#50 to Orange Line (obviously didn't change to Ashland/Clark)

via Yellow Line(????? What??????) o.O

I told the driver about it, she was surprised the sign was saying via Yellow Line.

• Upvote 2

Must be a lot of messed up signs in the network... boarded a NB #50 bus today that said...

#50 Damen

I told the driver about it, she was surprised the sign was saying via Yellow Line.

Maybe the Yellow Line is running around there, because it sure isn't running to Skokie.

uh Must be a lot of messed up signs in the network... boarded a NB #50 bus today that said...

#50 Damen

You aren't the only one. Saw several "Access Chicago" and "Cleaner/Greener" ones, although I guess that's the norm now. #4178 rolled by 5/3 Bank at 79th/Stony/SO Chicago sporting "Jump" at regular intervals.

You aren't the only one. Saw several "Access Chicago" and "Cleaner/Greener" ones, although I guess that's the norm now. #4178 rolled by 5/3 Bank at 79th/Stony/SO Chicago sporting "Jump" at regular intervals.

Last night about 8:15 PM, I saw a NB 22 that had Clark/Foster on it, but it was a Pratt/Clark.

Maybe Van Halen was riding.

• Upvote 1

It's been a lot of weird ones. 151 via Yellow Line on 1405 today. Get your Flu shots on 4012. A Nova said "faster busses have arrived".  

On the PSA note I know of a driver that drives the #3 who manually inputs messages. Like for people to hold on and not blocking he doors etc. 

What's next? Forest Glen Novas displaying via S--tty Buses??? O.o

Got the perfect sign for that.... doesn't exist, but for this purpose we'll say it does....

80 Irving Park

80 to Cumberland

via Bus Roulette

Bus Roulette is just that..... of the 10 buses assigned to the route at the time, only one or two actually make it without hiccups. So you gotta ask yourself one question.....

• Upvote 2