More Bus Moves

sw4400

77th  =  1452 ,1454 ,1457 ,1458 ,1459 ,1460 ,1461 ,1462 ,1466 ,1467

Forest Glenn = 6453 ,6454 ,6456 ,6472 ,6550 ,6552 ,6554 ,6558 ,6559 ,6686 ,

6688 ,6689 ,6691 ,6694 6696 ,6794 ,6796 ,6797

Also bus 8144 added to Chicago Ave.

28 total moves

The question being why is 77th getting buses and not giving any back to chicago? I got chicago now in the low 270's. It shows, alot of #6400 novas seem to be running this morning like they need every bus they can get.

Well now Fg can get rid of some buses, being they just received 18 buses. I was on #6439 not that long ago and either its trans was whining loudly or it was the governor. It was so loud it was annoying. They need to pass out ear plugs to people that ride that bus!! It wasn't in service last week so maybe it might have got put out of it's misery. 

The question being why is 77th getting buses and not giving any back to chicago? I got chicago now in the low 270's. It shows, alot of #6400 novas seem to be running this morning like they need every bus they can get.

Well now Fg can get rid of some buses, being they just received 18 buses. I was on #6439 not that long ago and either its trans was whining loudly or it was the governor. It was so loud it was annoying. They need to pass out ear plugs to people that ride that bus!! It wasn't in service last week so maybe it might have got put out of it's misery. 

They might be prepping for the (Donor Garage) to FG setup, whether it'll be one garage or several. That might be the reason for the "Beefing up" at certain garages. Eventually, some New Flyers(I'm thinking 100 max) will be moved to FG. And if the possible thought holds true for 2016, then the 125 Novas that will be delivered will also go there. But the last part is speculation..... K and 1, as unfair as it may sound, are no doubt in the mix for 8200-8324.

They might be prepping for the (Donor Garage) to FG setup, whether it'll be one garage or several. That might be the reason for the "Beefing up" at certain garages. Eventually, some New Flyers(I'm thinking 100 max) will be moved to FG. And if the possible thought holds true for 2016, then the 125 Novas that will be delivered will also go there. But the last part is speculation..... K and 1, as unfair as it may sound, are no doubt in the mix for 8200-8324.

The way FG has been treated I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get the #8200's. Chicago has one more #6400, 17 bus block to move to Fg which will probably happen in the next 30 or so deliveries, when they have this labor slowdown at #8176. Then it gets interesting when the final 23 buses come into chicago will fg finally see nf's or will they go to 74th for the X routes. I think the second myself. The plan looks to me like they will retire the flip dot #6400's with the 125 #8200 Novas coming in and the option #6400's will stay at fg until something else comes in. 

,,,. I think the second myself. The plan looks to me like they will retire the flip dot #6400's with the 125 #8200 Novas coming in and the option #6400's will stay at fg until something else comes in. 

Except that the 5 year capital plan indicates that nothing is budgeted after the 150 buses, so you are essentially betting on just 25. I don't think that's the way it is going to work.

We discussed before that your projection that X routes are all additional equipment is flawed. 74th wouldn't have the place to store them, anyway,

Except that the 5 year capital plan indicates that nothing is budgeted after the 150 buses, so you are essentially betting on just 25. I don't think that's the way it is going to work.

We discussed before that your projection that X routes are all additional equipment is flawed. 74th wouldn't have the place to store them, anyway,

Yes 74th would Have the space. How do you think they ran the x55 and x9?For the sake of argument lets say you're right. Now what does fg gain? 23 buses? That doesn't sound like enough to be worth it. Then no one answered how is 125 buses going to replace 250?

Yes 74th would Have the space. How do you think they ran the x55 and x9?For the sake of argument lets say you're right. Now what does fg gain? 23 buses? That doesn't sound like enough to be worth it. Then no one answered how is 125 buses going to replace 250?

• When they ran X55, they ran 55 about once every 15 minutes. I'm sure 9 got similar treatment (the archive for the 2008 schedule is here showing a bus every 11 to 12 minutes). I posted the ridership statistics before,including those indicating that the same number of passengers board 9 now as boarded the sum of 9 and x9 in 2009.
  • Some of the bus routes now assigned to 74 were assigned to Archer. I haven't seen Fisk Garage open yet.
  • Where did you get the fantasy that 125 buses are supposed to replace 250? All the Press Releases about Mayor Emanuel's bus replacement program say that 550 buses (100 D/DELFRs and 450 of the Novas) were supposed to replace 45 Optimas and the Novas. (Look at the numbers in the current Press Release; it refers to having received 400 buses excludng the 125 just ordered). You cite me any official source that says that the bus fleet is supposed to be increased to about 1950-2000, which is what your numbers would indicate. As I said, the Fisk garage hasn't opened yet.

Now, why they are so slow in implementing the contract to scrap 200 Novas is beyond me, but they should have been scrapped long before now.

• When they ran X55, they ran 55 about once every 15 minutes. I'm sure 9 got similar treatment (the archive for the 2008 schedule is here showing a bus every 11 to 12 minutes). I posted the ridership statistics before,including those indicating that the same number of passengers board 9 now as boarded the sum of 9 and x9 in 2009.
  • Some of the bus routes now assigned to 74 were assigned to Archer. I haven't seen Fisk Garage open yet.
  • Where did you get the fantasy that 125 buses are supposed to replace 250? All the Press Releases about Mayor Emanuel's bus replacement program say that 550 buses (100 D/DELFRs and 450 of the Novas) were supposed to replace 45 Optimas and the Novas. (Look at the numbers in the current Press Release; it refers to having received 400 buses excludng the 125 just ordered). You cite me any official source that says that the bus fleet is supposed to be increased to about 1950-2000, which is what your numbers would indicate. As I said, the Fisk garage hasn't opened yet.

Now, why they are so slow in implementing the contract to scrap 200 Novas is beyond me, but they should have been scrapped long before now.

Well ridership might have reflected no change when they cut #X9, like you say but that doesn't mean it was because the same buses were used just that the ridership was the same. If the same amount of buses were used, pre and post #X9, what would be the incentive to cut #X9 service? Do I have to pull up an old roster to prove it? You know I can.

Point two, Archer never did the #X9 and #X55.

Point three, by looking out the window and seeing fg has 250 buses to replace with 125 novas on the way. That is not a fantasy, but reality. Plus Chicago still has buses to replace so really add another 20 buses. So currently, we have 175 novas still coming and 270 buses to replace, so they are already 100 buses down. Then they cut the order from 450 to 425, so that throws you're precious press release out the window. So again tell me please how I am seeing this wrong or better yet tell me how they are going to do this. I'm waiting....

Well ridership might have reflected no change when they cut #X9, like you say but that doesn't mean it was because the same buses were used just that the ridership was the same. If the same amount of buses were used, pre and post #X9, what would be the incentive to cut #X9 service? Do I have to pull up an old roster to prove it? You know I can.

Rodriguez cut virtually all the X service in 2010, and cut the rest of service 20%, as part of a budget meat axe dictated by Daley. Somehow, you forgot that. Go back and look it up.

Point two, Archer never did the #X9 and #X55.

Yeah, but they used to run 49, X49, 62, the west of Midway stuff, etc. Then Archer closed. Those (except for X49, but the resources went into 49) are still bus routes. Again, somehow you have amnesia about 2010.

Point three, by looking out the window and seeing fg has 250 buses to replace with 125 novas on the way. That is not a fantasy, but reality. Plus Chicago still has buses to replace so really add another 20 buses. So currently, we have 175 novas still coming and 270 buses to replace, so they are already 100 buses down. Then they cut the order from 450 to 425, so that throws you're precious press release out the window. So again tell me please how I am seeing this wrong or better yet tell me how they are going to do this. I'm waiting....

As I said above, I don't know why about 250 old Novas haven't been scrapped yet, while Andre seems to be posting a big influx at 77th. Were X3 and X4 reinstated without the Mayor appearing? No. Mine, and everyone else's prediction is that FG is going to get 125 8200s and 125 New Flyers eventually, unless you have some sort of evidence that bus ridership has grown to such an extent that 77th or some other garage needs them. However, bus ridership is down this year.

The evidence is clear--thus why do you keep repeating this stuff?

I am going to have to take the high road here, I'm tired of explaining this to you. 77th could be getting extra buses to help take care of the last unrehabbed #1000's, but the #4000 rehab is on the horizon soon, so they can just use those spares for that. If Fg were getting NF's where are they? I'm sorry but it looks like Fg is out in the cold this winter, maybe next year in May something will happen. I know this is beyond ridiculous but what can we do, stop using it. It's a thought.

Nostalgia Time

For the 6000 fans, here is a color shot of a fairly new train, possibly non-rev, being tested on the old North-South alignment, cerca 1950:

photo-chicago-new-cta-rapid-transit-cars

The reason I say fairly "new" is because the two cars in the foreground (beginning with the car with the "LOOP" destination sign) appear to be fresh from St. Louis Car Co.; the clean, freshly painted black underframe components, wheels and "brighter" red trolley blocks are pretty much a dead give-away. However, the other four cars appear to have been exposed to a little more use, their underframe components looking a little more "dingy" by comparison. The other four may likely have been the first prototypes to come to the property a number of months earlier. Chicago-L.org used to use a similar photo of this train as the background for it's website a few years ago. Only the angle of that shot was different:

cta6000s%40touhy.jpg

Hey folks, I was a bored after a long night at work; just aimlessly surfing the net. That's when I found the shot above. So, I thought I would just post it. 

• Upvote 1

Nostalgia Time

For the 6000 fans, here is a color shot of a fairly new train, possibly non-rev, being tested on the old North-South alignment, cerca 1950:

photo-chicago-new-cta-rapid-transit-cars

The reason I say fairly "new" is because the two cars in the foreground (beginning with the car with the "LOOP" destination sign) appear to be fresh from St. Louis Car Co.; the clean, freshly painted black underframe components, wheels and "brighter" red trolley blocks are pretty much a dead give-away. However, the other four cars appear to have been exposed to a little more use, their underframe components looking a little more "dingy" by comparison. The other four may likely have been the first prototypes to come to the property a number of months earlier. Chicago-L.org used to use a similar photo of this train as the background for it's website a few years ago. Only the angle of that shot was different:

cta6000s%40touhy.jpg

Hey folks, I was a bored after a long night at work; just aimlessly surfing the net. That's when I found the shot above. So, I thought I would just post it. 

That's at Touhy Ave.

#1650 and #1651 have been migrated to 103rd. Well well well, #1846 is on #9 and #1848 and #1886 are on #62.

i tthought 74th already had 1886 because I've been seeing 1888 on the 9 off and on for the past month almost. 1892 is on the 9. I think that's the first time I saw that one operating out of 74th.

i tthought 74th already had 1886 because I've been seeing 1888 on the 9 off and on for the past month almost. 1892 is on the 9. I think that's the first time I saw that one operating out of 74th.

1884 & 1886 remained at Chicago Ave.  during the spring swap.  It looks as if 74th received 5 1800s from C:   1846-48 as well as 1884(assuming it was transferred) & 1886.

Meanwhile,  I'm wondering about  NP units 1313-1324.  None of them has been on the street for the past couple of days.   It seems kind of unusual for a large block of numbers to be held in,  but maybe it's just a coincidence.

1884 & 1886 remained at Chicago Ave.  during the spring swap.  It looks as if 74th received 5 1800s from C:   1846-48 as well as 1884(assuming it was transferred) & 1886.

Meanwhile,  I'm wondering about  NP units 1313-1324.  None of them has been on the street for the past couple of days.   It seems kind of unusual for a large block of numbers to be held in,  but maybe it's just a coincidence.

Yes with North Park it's hard to tell sometimes during the weekend because it operates on a higher articulated ratio on weekends than on regular weekdays. 

Yes with North Park it's hard to tell sometimes during the weekend because it operates on a higher articulated ratio on weekends than on regular weekdays. 

That seems to be true regarding the different ratios;  that hadn't occurred to me.

But it still seems strange that none of NP's block of low 1300s is on the street  when the rest of their 40-foot fleet is operating normally.  This includes 1300s numbered 1325 and above in addition to the recently-arrived 1200s from 103rd.

Having received over 40 8100s, sure. The unanswered question was why 77th was receiving transferred buses.

The best I can come up with is maintenance reasons because some that have been rehabbed might have to be updated with anything possible. Other than that, it's just the some ole greedy garage.