More Bus Moves

sw4400

I think that maybe FG is recieving New Flyers this weekend, but maybe they won't come out on the routes until Monday? Just because they're not on any routes today doesn't mean they're not there. And as for #1215, #1218-1221, #1222 and #1224, maybe they're just resting for the weekend? Probably. I'm sure they'll be out there Monday.

My speculation is, as far as FG goes, is that Kedzie sends some more New Flyers to them and that FG sends Kedzie or 74th some Flxibles.

If FG sends Flxibles out, out south is a better choice where they go since that's where others from there have gone when FG got the other 1000s. Kedzie has sent 1000s out to make room for 4000s not more 6000s. Otherwise, Kedzie would be getting two buses for everyone it traded out. Also with 39 of 58 new arctics supposedly here, accordingly to the Tribune news outlets, CTA should at least try to steer arctics south to even things out instead of hoarding them at K and NP. Those South side expresses could stand some more arctics. The North ones are pretty covered. 77th would make sense at the very least so that 1200s from there could go to FG to try to make some semblance of keeping a sequence intact. As was mentioned the 6 buses are like sardine cans. That's even on the weekends.

On a sidenote, has anyone been noticing that a lot of buses have been out missing their rear wheel odometers lately? I've been seeing it occur the past couple weeks. It started out with NF 40 footers of all three series from Kedzie. Now I'm seeing it on other buses from other garages, some of Archer's Novas and 1000s fro 103rd. What's going on with those odometers being removed?

... More interesting to me is that NP is now at 93 artics. That's the most they ever had since they had artics.

Even more than when they had NABIs (approx 7551-7630 something) and were responsible for 145-148. I think something must be up, but knowing them, won't hazard a guess what.

Even more than when they had NABIs (approx 7551-7630 something) and were responsible for 145-148. I think something must be up, but knowing them, won't hazard a guess what.

Something has to give. Move things south already. This is getting ridiculous. NP and Kedzie for that matter have enough artics. It makes no sense for the South side to be running light when you have the 6, the 14, and 26 on South LSD and other heavy routes like 3,X3,4, and X4 running in many cases crammed to the gills. Come on already 146 and 147 are exclusively artic run with a spare 1000 here and there, and 134, 135, 136, 145, 148, and 156 have a fair amount of artics, though with more 40 footers operating than seen previously in NABI times on 145, 148 and 156. Even 125, 143, and 157 get a good number of artics at times during the week with 151 going just about all artic on weekends starting with in the past few weeks. It's beyond time to start evening things out.

Something has to give. Move things south already. This is getting ridiculous. NP and Kedzie for that matter have enough artics. It makes no sense for the South side to be running light when you have the 6, the 14, and 26 on South LSD and other heavy routes like 3,X3,4, and X4 running in many cases crammed to the gills. Come on already 146 and 147 are exclusively artic run with a spare 1000 here and there, and 134, 135, 136, 145, 148, and 156 have a fair amount of artics, though with more 40 footers operating than seen previously in NABI times on 145, 148 and 156. Even 125, 143, and 157 get a good number of artics at times during the week with 151 going just about all artic on weekends starting with in the past few weeks. It's beyond time to start evening things out.

You can tack on a few more for Np, #4186's on the #147 now. #4185 was on this morning's #135, and #4183 was out yesterday afternoon as a #146. At least about 96 now. Throw in the new arrivals from last week taking you to #4190 and it puts them at 100 artics. I can't help but wonder if this transfer delay doesn't have something to do with the impending transfer of Titan #1200's to Fg. Kedzie's at a point where there are more titan buses to send over in the #1200's than original ones. I know at least #1200, #1201, #1204, #1206, #1208, #1210, #1212, #1213 are titan. So what does that leave Fg, 7 buses. I wouldn't be surprised if the #1200's go back to Kedzie and Fg somehow ends up with different #1000's. As far as the south side's concerned I've been seeing in the last week that the #2 has been getting artics. I wonder why artics aren't exclusively on the #6? BTW, as far as the Np question by Busjack, there was a time in 2007 when Np had 97 artics, (#7551 - #7640, #7717 - #7711) so they still need to pass that, but that should happen in the next day or two. Also I couldn't help but notice, #1230 now has an "F' sticker on the windshield so I guess they are claiming it. :lol:

I can't help but wonder if this transfer delay doesn't have something to do with the impending transfer of Titan #1200's to Fg. Kedzie's at a point where there are more titan buses to send over in the #1200's than original ones. I know at least #1200, #1201, #1204, #1206, #1208, #1210, #1212, #1213 are titan. So what does that leave Fg, 7 buses. I wouldn't be surprised if the #1200's go back to Kedzie and Fg somehow ends up with different #1000's.

FG's 1200s back to Kedzie sounds nice, but in exchange for Kedzie's 6000s. :lol: I know that jajuan and I would both be pleased by a swap like this. :lol:

• Upvote 1

FG's 1200s back to Kedzie sounds nice, but in exchange for Kedzie's 6000s. :lol: I know that jajuan and I would both be pleased by a swap like this. :lol:

Agreed. If FG needs to get more 1000s, pull them from somewhere else. Say from either 77th or 103rd in exchange for sending artics to one or both of those. And forget about this nutty idea of passing a 97 artic threshold at NP when I'm sure the NABI count was probably closer to its originally 226 number at the time of NP having that many artics. Not to mention it was also likely when NP had 125, 143, 145 and 148 instead of Kedzie now having them. Things were still more even on the artic front in the NABI days, except when 77th lost a good chunk of its artics to Kedzie when Kedzie picked up the above mentioned routes from NP. 103rd was still running quite a bit more artics than now even then.

Agreed. If FG needs to get more 1000s, pull them from somewhere else. Say from either 77th or 103rd in exchange for sending artics to one or both of those. And forget about this nutty idea of passing a 97 artic threshold at NP when I'm sure the NABI count was probably closer to its originally 226 number at the time of NP having that many artics. Not to mention it was also likely when NP had 125, 143, 145 and 148 instead of Kedzie now having them. Things were still more even on the artic front in the NABI days, except when 77th lost a good chunk of its artics to Kedzie when Kedzie picked up the above mentioned routes from NP. 103rd was still running quite a bit more artics than now even then.

IIRC, at least in the beginning 143 (and 134) were run from Kedzie using 40 footers, and including because Belmont was too much of a deadhead from NP.

103rd was assigned 7500-7550, less any junks (a couple had crushed platforms or engine fires) prior to the debacle.

77th originally was assigned roughly in the 7670s to 7725, but the lower ones quickly went to Kedzie and then, as BusHunter reported, the 77teens to NP.

Just to throw an idea out there...CTA might have told NF to deliver based on getting the next 140, just as some (but not all) allocations of 1000s make more sense in light of getting the full 1030 rather than each option. Of course, since the 140 aren't immediately coming....

In any event, it doesn't appear that deliveries are FOB 7800 S. Vincennes anymore.

Someone really likes the #6000's. :lol: It's nice Fg finally has a quality bus. (#1000's) I'll tell you this the acceleration is alot quicker and it's about time they came in line with main street CTA. FG to me before was what I jokingly called "the museum". Alot of what they had was old and almost non responsive (some of these Novas are really wore down) and the ice cream trucks (#500's) they could've done alot better. Actually I was more impressed with PACE's Eldorado's. Too bad CTA didn't have those instead. I can't help but see NP with all these new buses and wonder when is the balance beam coming back FG's way. It would be nice to see some #1700's come to FG, maybe #1750 - #1779 but I'm probably dreaming.

IIRC, at least in the beginning 143 (and 134) were run from Kedzie using 40 footers, and including because Belmont was too much of a deadhead from NP.

103rd was assigned 7500-7550, less any junks (a couple had crushed platforms or engine fires) prior to the debacle.

77th originally was assigned roughly in the 7670s to 7725, but the lower ones quickly went to Kedzie and then, as BusHunter reported, the 77teens to NP.

Just to throw an idea out there...CTA might have told NF to deliver based on getting the next 140, just as some (but not all) allocations of 1000s make more sense in light of getting the full 1030 rather than each option. Of course, since the 140 aren't immediately coming....

In any event, it doesn't appear that deliveries are FOB 7800 S. Vincennes anymore.

Actually I think 143 started at NP, though I do think I also remember 134 being run with 40 footers, though very briefly. It quickly became all Nabi like 156 as Kedzie as got its full allocation. The LSD realignment was about the same time the NABIs were still in delivery phase as I recall. Early in it at that.

Someone really likes the #6000's. :lol: It's nice Fg finally has a quality bus. (#1000's) I'll tell you this the acceleration is alot quicker and it's about time they came in line with main street CTA. FG to me before was what I jokingly called "the museum". Alot of what they had was old and almost non responsive (some of these Novas are really wore down) and the ice cream trucks (#500's) they could've done alot better. Actually I was more impressed with PACE's Eldorado's. Too bad CTA didn't have those instead. I can't help but see NP with all these new buses and wonder when is the balance beam coming back FG's way. It would be nice to see some #1700's come to FG, maybe #1750 - #1779 but I'm probably dreaming.

You like them too, or else you wouldn't have put it as your favorite bus. What can I say, it's the only high floor bus left in the CTA bus fleet.

You like them too, or else you wouldn't have put it as your favorite bus. What can I say, it's the only high floor bus left in the CTA bus fleet.

Yeah but I figured at the time active buses is what they mean't. My favorite buses overall were of the 60's generation. 100's/300's/3000's/8700's. Could there be anything better? Couple that with the #6000 "L" cars for favorite "L" car and you have my favorites.

Yeah but I figured at the time active buses is what they mean't. My favorite buses overall were of the 60's generation. 100's/300's/3000's/8700's. Could there be anything better? Couple that with the #6000 "L" cars for favorite "L" car and you have my favorites.

We're getting off topic, but to further digress I agree about the 60s New Look buses. At one time I tended to favor the 70s ones, but not now; maybe it was because the 60s ones were still in pretty good condition when they they were retired, and did not have the over the top decor of the later ones. Also, except for the last bunch of 3800s, they had padded seats that generally were not vandalized.

I'm not such a fan of the 6000s L cars; too dark inside, and too drafty. I liked the 2000s better, or the 2200s before they took out the black leather seats, not after.

Since you can see that I favored certain types of seats, you can guess what I think about the current cattle car configurations.

We're getting off topic, but to further digress I agree about the 60s New Look buses. At one time I tended to favor the 70s ones, but not now; maybe it was because the 60s ones were still in pretty good condition when they they were retired, and did not have the over the top decor of the later ones. Also, except for the last bunch of 3800s, they had padded seats that generally were not vandalized.

I'm not such a fan of the 6000s L cars; too dark inside, and too drafty. I liked the 2000s better, or the 2200s before they took out the black leather seats, not after.

Since you can see that I favored certain types of seats, you can guess what I think about the current cattle car configurations.

My favorites are the 9000s and 9600 series buses and the 2600 L cars before the rehabs. The 2200s were great befpre tje rehabs too with those extra large windows and the leather seats. When the 1000s, 7400s and 9000s came on board, I didn't realize at the time how "new" the 3000s, 3700s, and 3800s were. Looking back, they were in great shape. I always knew there were 3800s, but they don't appear on the retired roster page. Interiorwise, they had the same dark green and white paint scheme, but they had the lime green hard plastic seats just like buses 3685 - 3699. The 3700s had the green padded bench seats. I believe the 3800s were out of North Park.

The 6000s were ragged for sure and dark, except for those that got the brown and beige interior repaint to somewhat match the 1000s bus interior. Those interiors were brighter. Those motors on those L cars were humming very audibly. Actually you can hear that same hum on some of the 2400s and especially on the Blue Line 2600s.

Those buses back in the day more often than not spent most if not all of their lives at one garage. NF Bus 1000 has been at 3 garages in its short life already (A,C, 103rd).

• Upvote 1

Getting back on track 77th now has 4061,4067,4068,4070,4073,4075,4079 parked inside bay 3 there were at least

4 others parked inside but I couldn't get to them. These transfersw from 103rd and Kedzie. Was on north Michigan ave driving around this morning nothing but artics except for the 3.

Getting back on track 77th now has 4061,4067,4068,4070,4073,4075,4079 parked inside bay 3 there were at least

4 others parked inside but I couldn't get to them. These transfersw from 103rd and Kedzie. Was on north Michigan ave driving around this morning nothing but artics except for the 3.

Finally something moving south. Kedzie and NP were getting a bit too artic heavy. Though it's silly that 4061, 4067, 4073, 4075 and 4079 went from NP to Kedzie to 77th all the space of a month's time. And why is 103rd giving up artics, even if it is just a few, when it too can stand to use some more arctics?