Jump to content
sw4400

More Bus Moves

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

They're not doing a disservice because there is virtually no one out there during the peak rush periods, I was on King Drive today and the bus bunching got so bad because nearly everyone was running ahead schedule due to the lack of commuters. I was sort of hoping that they would start holding runs in due to the lack of commuters but that wouldn't make any sense, In regards to the #6400s getting moved and or parked until a later date is interesting because a boat load of Artics left south shops in the past few days while more active #6400's have began to pop up.

So it's not a complete swap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

They're not doing a disservice because there is virtually no one out there during the peak rush periods, I was on King Drive today and the bus bunching got so bad because nearly everyone was running ahead schedule due to the lack of commuters. I was sort of hoping that they would start holding runs in due to the lack of commuters but that wouldn't make any sense, In regards to the #6400s getting moved and or parked until a later date is interesting because a boat load of Artics left south shops in the past few days while more active #6400's have began to pop up.

People ride the bus and train outside of peak rush periods. After @artthouwill's explanation, I'm less concerned about the trains, but adjusting bus service without making some sort of announcement is poor planning and foresight at best and dangerous at worst. So yes, that would be doing people a disservice.

An example: If I'm an essential worker, who relied on public transit to get to work and I lived near 106th/Ewing and CTA is running all routes on a Sunday schedule even though it's Friday at 8:30a, I've lost both my 1-seat ride downtown and my 1-seat ride to the red line, but I wouldn't know that if they didn't say anything. I'd leave at the regular time, not knowing that instead of a 25 min 1-seat ride to the red line, I'd now have anywhere from a 40-55 min ride that requires a transfer, which could probably mean I end up late, which starts its own chain of consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

People ride the bus and train outside of peak rush periods. After @artthouwill's explanation, I'm less concerned about the trains, but adjusting bus service without making some sort of announcement is poor planning and foresight at best and dangerous at worst. So yes, that would be doing people a disservice.

An example: If I'm an essential worker, who relied on public transit to get to work and I lived near 106th/Ewing and CTA is running all routes on a Sunday schedule even though it's Friday at 8:30a, I've lost both my 1-seat ride downtown and my 1-seat ride to the red line, but I wouldn't know that if they didn't say anything. I'd leave at the regular time, not knowing that instead of a 25 min 1-seat ride to the red line, I'd now have anywhere from a 40-55 min ride that requires a transfer, which could probably mean I end up late, which starts its own chain of consequences.

Here's the thing though, CTA hasn't made any changes in frequency up to this point because if they did we'd hear about it by now from the top brass downtown, the fact that they haven't said anything in regards to less frequent service is proof enough.  If anything PTBO's may get longer swing shifts due to the Pandemic which may alter the service a bit in frequency but the same amount of buses are still on the street the key to keeping service running smoothly all comes back to the operators not running the table even when no one is out there. After what I witnessed yesterday I've never seen so many Bus convoys of Artics on Michigan Ave look so barren and empty ever. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Here's the thing though, CTA hasn't made any changes in frequency up to this point because if they did we'd hear about it by now from the top brass downtown, the fact that they haven't said anything in regards to less frequent service is proof enough.  If anything PTBO's may get longer swing shifts due to the Pandemic which may alter the service a bit in frequency but the same amount of buses are still on the street the key to keeping service running smoothly all comes back to the operators not running the table even when no one is out there. After what I witnessed yesterday I've never seen so many Bus convoys of Artics on Michigan Ave look so barren and empty ever. 

I don't know. but I don't think any adjustment has been made to bus service.  First, unlike the rails, published bus schedules are much more specific.  Also, unlike the rails, bus garages aren't on the ends of each route.  They might get away with a mission bus here and there on a route like J14 during the rush,  but I think off peak service would need advanced notice, and even then,  there may not be much to cut.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last few days alot of artics have been parking on the North avenue NB LSD ramp and outside the Peggy Notabart Nature Museum. It's really amazing watching buses come off the drive with 2, 3 or 4 passengers. Even the #151 coming down the gold coast with a handful if that. The mornings are pretty bad the afternoons it picks up a little like a sunday service crowd. The staple main routes like the #77 or #79 have been doing better. I saw a group of 5 or 6 yesterday at Broadway/Belmont waiting for the #77.

Metra has been pretty smart, coming out with an alternate weekday schedule that cuts service in half. I think a saturday schedule would be good. But then you risk passengers sitting closer to one another.

It would be a good time to park the #6400's or at least use them as spares. My company has roughly one third old buses but half never really leave the yard and if they do the other half takes there place. Less maintenance + less breakdowns = More profit and less issues.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NY, LA, and Chicago haven't made changes to bus and rail service yet. Some other cities, namely Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Seattle, Minneapolis, and BART in the Bay Area have already cut hours or changed to operating on reduced weekday/Saturday schedules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe those Chicago/Forest Glen swaps were in preparation for the Proterras? Best I can come up with. Swap ~20 old buses to Chicago so that when the new ones do come in they can just retire from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WCR said:

Maybe those Chicago/Forest Glen swaps were in preparation for the Proterras? Best I can come up with. Swap ~20 old buses to Chicago do that when the new ones do come in they can just retire from there.

Probably so they not out from C today they still parked there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Hey, Thats my baby!  Were suppose to use it on Monday 3/23  to 47th/Federal! 

It's finally getting used again, that's good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Here's the thing though, CTA hasn't made any changes in frequency up to this point because if they did we'd hear about it by now from the top brass downtown, the fact that they haven't said anything in regards to less frequent service is proof enough.  If anything PTBO's may get longer swing shifts due to the Pandemic which may alter the service a bit in frequency but the same amount of buses are still on the street the key to keeping service running smoothly all comes back to the operators not running the table even when no one is out there. After what I witnessed yesterday I've never seen so many Bus convoys of Artics on Michigan Ave look so barren and empty ever. 

I know they haven't. My whole point was that doing so without saying anything is harmful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewFlyerMCI said:

I know they haven't. My whole point was that doing so without saying anything is harmful.

Oh ok, I was under the assumption that you thought they already did but if they didn't say anything then i'd agree with you because you're right in that aspect.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Hey, Thats my baby!  Were suppose to use it on Monday 3/23  to 47th/Federal! 

Aw dam what doing so type of fire department training

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Also I don't think it is a complete swap but it is odd to see. 

Yea I will try to find out I'll ask the supervisor about see if they know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

6713 went to 103rd and it appears some other Novas went there.

6681 as well they did a randoms exchange looks like it FG did get groups (ex: 1121-1122 1189-1190) and 1071, 1098

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

6681 as well they did a randoms exchange looks like it FG did get groups (ex: 1121-1122 1189-1190) and 1071, 1098

I wonder what's the reason behind FG coming up off the old Nova's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three garages (103, C and NP) sent NFI buses to FG. K is also missing a few of its 1000s, which went to C to compensate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJL6000 said:

Three garages (103, C and NP) sent NFI buses to FG. K is also missing a few of its 1000s, which went to C to compensate.

They should update the rosters so we can see what all exactly moved 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJL6000 said:

Three garages (103, C and NP) sent NFI buses to FG. K is also missing a few of its 1000s, which went to C to compensate.

1796-1801 belonged to FG couple months back they just returned what they stole but we do have new additions to FG which is 1054-1055 joined the 50’s group i wonder if 1052-53 will join as well and also C sent 1393-94 to join 1390’s and NP sent 1380-1381 and 1769 103rd sent 1071, 1098, 1121-1122, 1155, 1166, 1169, 1183, 1189-1190

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let’s get this straight 

103rd>FG= 1071, 1098, 1121-1122, 1155, 1166, 1169, 1183, 1189-1190, 

NP>FG= 1381, 1383, 1723, 1769, 1790, 1855, 1857, 1868, 1872, 1891

C>FG= 1393-1394, 1796-1801

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

so far 6713 and 6681 popped up at 103rd so maybe more moves this weekend 

Yea I just wonder what made FG run some Nova's surprised that those was moved 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Yea I just wonder what made FG run some Nova's surprised that those was moved 

gives us a clue to retirement they are getting close i don’t think 6400’s will see winter anymore or 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...