Goodbye NABI's

jesi2282

If you want the link to the official entry of the NABI recall in the NHTSA database, it is here.

While NABI indicates dire consequences of a failure, I wonder if this covers the extent of defects found by the CTA consulting engineer.

Gene: 1 and 2 probably would take a Freedom of Information Act request.

With regard to 3, since passing Altoona testing is a condition of all FTA supported contracts, the answer is yes.

The only manufacturer making any kind of high floor bus for the U.S. market is NABI (unless one takes Millennium seriously, and I haven't heard anything about them purporting to have an RTS artic.). The only real difference in configuration is Van Hool, with a low floor bus, but which has the engine in a raised well behind the left front wheel (see discussion in BusExplorer).

Well there was RTS artics and here's a picture for proof:

2185011362_2b8335fa7f.jpg

demonstratorgmcrtsarticpr1.jpg

it was a test until only.

Also how many NABI 60-LFW were scrapped?

tell me the numbers.

Also i think the CTA will never deal with NABI again after this issue.

Also i don't think that CTA will put back NABI 60-LFW in service,i think they are gonna saty retired permanently and i think they will be all scrapped.

Also this story is familiar to NYCTA's 1980 Flxible Grumman 870-A ADB had cracks developed and retired permanently in 1984 and 15 were scarapped and the others were repaired and sold to other transit systems. #870 were held for evidence until the lawsuit was resolved.

Also how many NABI 60-LFW were scrapped?

tell me the numbers.

Also i think the CTA will never deal with NABI again after this issue.

Also i don't think that CTA will put back NABI 60-LFW in service,i think they are gonna saty retired permanently and i think they will be all scrapped.

Also this story is familiar to NYCTA's 1980 Flxible Grumman 870-A ADB had cracks developed and retired permanently in 1984 and 15 were scarapped and the others were repaired and sold to other transit systems. #870 were held for evidence until the lawsuit was resolved.

None have been scrapped yet, they are subject to recall. Read up the thread.

There were 226, but a couple had crushed platforms and such before this.

I did read up threads already.

But still i don't think the NABI 60 LFW will return to service.

Was on the Calumet Expy today could see Nabis parked at 103rd later went by 79th Perry just stange to see over a hundred tech, still new buses parked all over the yard such a waist.

According to NABI.

http://www.nabusind.com

http://www.nabusind.com/news/NABI%20Recall...Final%20_2_.pdf

There will be a recall of all articulated buses produced before Sep. 30, 2007. BRT-60s and our infamous 60-LFWs. They will inspect, repair/replace and reinforce the "fastening systems" ..as they're calling it.

So, I'm going to guess...the NABIs we have at CTA....wont be gone for long...in some shape or another, they'll be back. Thats all if CTA is willing to take them back, after NABI does its complete overhaul.

Im rooting for the NABIs to come back..the 4000s suck!... too slow on the take off..but the nice thing about them, they dont slip and slide in the rain and snow, like the nabis did. Hopefully nabi will address that issue too.

What do you (and other readers) think of NABI's statement that they haven't been afforded the opportunity to inspect the CTA artics? :rolleyes:

What do you (and other readers) think of NABI's statement that they haven't been afforded the opportunity to inspect the CTA artics? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Why would CTA let their maintenace (or lack of it) have the

potential to become an issue. Also, as lawsuits go on, the less cooperation between the parties.

I have little doubt NABI's claim have credence.

I mentioned before that I didn't put much weight in it. I guess the Circuit Court of Cook County will decide its significance in about 6 years. There will be plenty of time for discovery pursuant to the Illinois Supreme Court Rules before then, especially Rule 214 (I thought it was still the Civil Practice Act). The Press Release was (like most) basically posturing.

So does that mean that they will continue to sit at Perry Avenue and 103rd til someone from Alabama comes and gets them?
One would think. However, one also has to wonder whether NABI is going to hire 225 flatbed trucks or arrange for over 100 flatcars to put them on a train back to Alabama. I really doubt that holders of CDLs want to drive them (or NABI take the risk that they shake further apart) over that long trip.

One would think. However, one also has to wonder whether NABI is going to hire 225 flatbed trucks or arrange for over 100 flatcars to put them on a train back to Alabama. I really doubt that holders of CDLs want to drive them (or NABI take the risk that they shake further apart) over that long trip.

They could try and do the repairs up here through a third party. Or they could at least inspect the buses and make a decision on what buses would be repaired and what would be scrapped. The more buses they can say are repaired, the less they'll be on the hook for later. I wonder if the buses end up sitting at Perry and at 103rd for a while, can the CTA charge them a storage fee, because by stating a recall the ball is in their court. Are they at least liable now to pick up the buses, they seem like their in no big hurry?

They could try and do the repairs up here through a third party. Or they could at least inspect the buses and make a decision on what buses would be repaired and what would be scrapped. The more buses they can say are repaired, the less they'll be on the hook for later. I wonder if the buses end up sitting at Perry and at 103rd for a while, can the CTA charge them a storage fee, because by stating a recall the ball is in their court. Are they at least liable now to pick up the buses, they seem like their in no big hurry?
Reading your post, I might have read too much into the statement in the Trib. that "The CTA still plans to return the buses to the Alabama-based manufacturer, CTA President Richard Rodriguez said." It theoretically could return custody of them to NABI somewhere other than Alabama.

The spec used by CTA* has provisions for Detection of Defects, Fleet Defects, allowing the manufacturer or its representative to repair defects, providing failure analysis, and reimbursement of CTA for labor or parts if it does the warranty work. There is, of course, nothing in the warranty about rejecting the buses 6 years after first receiving them, and the repair by manufacturer clause says that the manufacturer shall begin work within 5 days of receiving notice from the CTA. The five days, of course, are long past. This reinforces my view that both sides are relying on remedies outside the contract.

Returning to trainman's point, the warranty is void if the CTA does not maintain documentation of normal inspection and preventative maintenance, so I'm sure that will become a topic of pretrial discovery, too.

*I'm relying on the spec for the 900 hybrid articulateds, but since CTA says it has been using the Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines, do not believe that the spec for the NABIs was any different in this regard. Also, it appears that the only 12 year warranty is against corrosion or fatigue to structural elements, which would apply in this case.

At this point in time, I don't have internet in my house <_< , and have to rely on the CPL to check up on chicagobus.org updates on a very short timespan. As I understand what I've been able to quickly read in the time allowed...

-The NABI's are done(at least for now)

-NABI may be taking possession of the 7500's to repair them and return them to CTA

-There is a conflict on the board as to whether or not they will be repaired here or taken to Alabama

-Some chicagobus.org members hate the New Flyer DE60LF's(I can't speak on this because I have yet to ride a DE60LF)

Is there anything else I'm missing?

-The NABI's are done(at least for now)

-NABI may be taking possession of the 7500's to repair them and return them to CTA

So are they being permanantly retired and written off or are they getting repaired? Whats the real deal.

Nope. They're retired (from what I read on the front page of this site).

So are they being permanantly retired and written off or are they getting repaired? Whats the real deal.

Nope. They're retired (from what I read on the front page of this site).

But that depends on whether you believe CTA or NABI.

the bus that had the crack in the articulation joint was #7542

#7542 is probably toast permanately along with any other bus that shows cracks, What NABi is looking for is one of them without cracks they can save most likely. I know #7675 has very low miles maybe they can save it. But regardless if they ever came back there would probably be under 50 of them. It depends how many have the cracks or how serious they are. By what the CTA claims that may not be many in the save column.

Well honestly if NABI can fix the problems associated with the artics and they if work well, Id like to see the NABI artics come back, Im sure not all of them would return but I think it at least some of them should come back to service. They are good looking buses. I like both artic models CTA has now but in my opinion I like the look of the NABIs more than the New Flyer models.