Goodbye NABI's

jesi2282

If the NABI 60LFWs can be fixed and operating again then they will be fixed and operating until 2015. FTA law requires that buses operate at least 12 years or the TA has to repay the FTA. And if they are not operable. Then the FTA will decide if CTA is excused or if they still have to repay the FTA.

If the NABI 60LFWs can be fixed and operating again then they will be fixed and operating until 2015.* FTA law requires that buses operate at least 12 years or the TA has to repay the FTA. And if they are not operable. Then the FTA will decide if CTA is excused or if they still have to repay the FTA.
From all sources, cta5555 is closer to the answer on this one. As I mentioned earlier, FTA money isn't being used to replace the NABIs, as the replacements are either leased or from a state capital bill. Also, the news stories have indicated that the CTA has been consulting with the FTA about this since September, so the only thing that turns out unexpected is that they were pulled in February, when 7542 split, rather than "by summer" as our fearless moderator speculated.

The Tribune article even indicated that one of the 3 orders didn't even involve federal money.

As I mentioned before, I don't buy what others say the "FTA will do"** nor that what the FTA actually orders has any practical effect. And, if there is any refund, the Tribune indicates that given the original FTA "investment," and subsequent depreciation, exposure, if any, would be limited to about $25 million. If NABI is serious about fixing the buses (and I contend they are not), that investment can be recouped by selling the buses to Kirghistan or Upper Volta.

The heading in the Tribune article was correct--the only question is who gets stuck for the cost of the buses, whether it is NABI or the taxpayers (and which taxpayers). However, they won't be seen on Chicago streets again. Just like NYC was not forced to use the Grummans for 12 years.

* Since NABI has apparently breached the warranty requirement to start repairs 5 days after receiving notice, maybe they sit at 77th and Perry until the court suit is resolved, which given Cook County Circuit Court, will be long past 2015. NABI wasn't too bright in filing suit there, instead of resolving the customer complaint in 2005. Of course, I also said that CTA wasn't too bright in "conditionally accepting" defective buses then.

** Consider, also, from what state the President, Secretary of Transportation, and Senate Asst. Majority leader come. It isn't Maryland.

• 3 weeks later...

From the looks of it, these buses will be scrapped. I have posed this question before, but it got nowhere...... If there was a private operator, that wanted to acquire some of the 60LFW's, how would they go about it?? Does the whole court proceedings and NABI's inspection of the buses need to be complete, before any future for these buses can be decided??

From the looks of it, these buses will be scrapped. I have posed this question before, but it got nowhere...... If there was a private operator, that wanted to acquire some of the 60LFW's, how would they go about it?? Does the whole court proceedings and NABI's inspection of the buses need to be complete, before any future for these buses can be decided??

Odds are yes. I suppose that the parties could stipulate to certain evidence or request certain admissions. However, from what other people have asked about the issues in the case (i.e. would NABI accept the CTA consultant's findings; was lack of CTA maintenance a cause) and NABI saying it hadn't inspected the incident bus yet, I would think that the court process of discovery would have to go back to "square one" to take into account that CTA is not just counterclaiming for the additional cost of repairs, but essentially now rejecting the buses. (If you want to be a lawyer, see Illinois Supreme Court Rules 214, 216, and 218 with regard to the judicial discovery and pretrial processes involved.)

At some point, probably after discovery is done, the parties could stipulate to the authenticity of certain photographs, test results, and the like, and maybe then dispose of the buses themselves.

At that point, if NABI decided to take them back (including title to them) and fix them, they could resell them. CTA usually does not resell scrap equipment (except to the scrapper), but the "FTA trying to recoup its investment" angle might indicate a different course.

Of course, there would be the question why a private operator would want to buy such a potential safety hazard, except for parts, but that would be the buyer's problem. Because of liability concerns, and CTA being convinced that these buses aren't safe, if it were to sell them, it would be with a very strong waiver of liability, although I'm not sure that that would give CTA sufficient comfort.

I would assume it would be "caveat emptor" in this case, regardless of the courts. Still, if I was a private contractor and if there weren't any decent buses lying around for sale, I would actually risk spending more money on better physically operating buses.

Hello all members of this forum. I wondering if the Cta does put any 60-LFW Buses back into service. Does anyone know how many will be at least put back into service or where will they be located in Chicago for service? But also, does anyone know what the Engine and the transmission that are in the NABI Buses, because I listened to a video of one the Buses on I think youtube and it sounds very different to other normal NABI Bus engines?

• Upvote 1

Hello all members of this forum. I wondering if the Cta does put any 60-LFW Buses back into service. Does anyone know how many will be at least put back into service or where will they be located in Chicago for service? ...

The answer to your first series of questions is a 98.73% chance of never and nowhere, especially if Rich Rodriguez gets his way (then 100%). Read the News Brief on the front page and contained links.

Personally, with various people intimating for about 8 months that they were on the way out, and CTA so declaring two months ago, I don't see some bus fans' fascination with them.

As far as the engine and transmission, this poster seems to know.

The answer to your first series of questions is a 98.73% chance of never and nowhere, especially if Rich Rodriguez gets his way (then 100%). Read the News Brief on the front page and contained links.

Personally, with various people intimating for about 8 months that they were on the way out, and CTA so declaring two months ago, I don't see some bus fans' fascination with them.

As far as the engine and transmission, this poster seems to know.

CTAs new boss Rodriguez dosent impress me one bit! We really havent heard much from him since he took over. But then what do you expect from someone who has no transit experience and in Daley's hip pocket.

CTAs new boss Rodriguez dosent impress me one bit! We really havent heard much from him since he took over. But then what do you expect from someone who has no transit experience and in Daley's hip pocket.
OT, and of course, but as indicated on the front page, the RedEye found him. And, as usual, Carole Brown had nothing to say that indicated that the Board was in control.

OT, and of course, but as indicated on the front page, the RedEye found him. And, as usual, Carole Brown had nothing to say that indicated that the Board was in control.

Rodriguez is most probably being taken by the hand of the transit system he knows very little about. Where are all the real transit bosses?, enough of these city, politically connected people. Makes me sick!

Rodriguez is most probably being taken by the hand of the transit system he knows very little about. Where are all the real transit bosses?, enough of these city, politically connected people. Makes me sick!

Interesting statement when after initial reports after his appointment it was said Rodriguez knew little about the CTA and then the RedEye article that Busjack linked states he rides the CTA frequently especially on the weekends with some or all of his kids as well as using the Brown Line weekdays to get to Loop meetings. The article quotes him as saying he's been using public transit all his life. So which is it? He either knows something about transit or he doesn't. To be clear this isn't a shot against anyone's post just an on observation of a conflict in media reporting that just occurred to me after reading 5750 and Busjack's posts. Which of their reports is correct?

• 4 months later...

The process of towing has begun at North Park for the NABI artics that have been sitting in our back yard. So far 7557 7607 and 7577 have taken the ride to the bus grave in the sky, courtesy of CTA tow trucks.

There are still crapload of 7500s sitting at side of 103rd garage.

Actually I saw a NABI last night around midnight going south when I was on the Dan Ryan. It was from North Park, it was actually being driven, not towed. I was driving behind it and saw an artic bus im like it must be a new flyer headed back to 103rd, then i saw the tail lights and realized it was a Nabi, thinking that one must have been safe enough to drive since they were not towing it.

Are the NABIs heading straight to 92nd/Ewing for scrapping?

The last I saw, they are sitting at 77th and 103, probably until the lawsuits are resolved (which could take 6 years, the way Cook County courts work). Also, there was the issue of the FTA recovering its investment.