Greater Cleveland RTA

Well I was in Cleveland for two days. While there I rode on NABI 40-LFWs, a Nova LFS, a Nova RTS-06 WFD, New Flyer DE60LFAs, Optima Opus "Trolleys", a Thomas Dennis SLF, an Orion II, Red line rapid Tokyu cars, and Breda LRT cars which are operated like streetcars out in the Shaker Heights area.

• The Red line is undergoing a change in fare collection from turnstiles to random sweeps by transit police so the fare system is really strange right now. At some stations off peak you pay on the train (they have fareboxes bolted to the floor by the driver's compartments.) At others you pay at the station, then it switches during rush hour. Sometimes you pay at the station and on the train :huh: Very weird. Only the Tower City station was using turnstiles, the rest had fareboxes in the ticket windows :lol:
  • The Healthline BRT was very nice IMO. All new stations and new 2008-2009 New Flyer DE60LFAs. In the downtown area it has it's own lane and continues that way until about the last 15 or so stops where it operates more like a regular bus route.

Now here are some photos:

post-367-1242953703_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953724_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953765_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953799_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953828_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953884_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953905_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953931_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953959_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953986_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954015_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954048_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242954071_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954103_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954135_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242954161_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954208_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954235_thumb.jpg

The only reaction I had to my filming/picture taking was when I got on one bus that I had filmed pulling up to the stop the driver asked if I was taking pictures of the bus, I said "Yes, I am visiting the area." and they didn't say anything else.

Well I was in Cleveland for two days. While there I rode on NABI 40-LFWs, a Nova LFS, a Nova RTS-06 WFD, New Flyer DE60LFAs, Optima Opus "Trolleys", a Thomas Dennis SLF, an Orion II, Red line rapid Tokyu cars, and Breda LRT cars which are operated like streetcars out in the Shaker Heights area.

• The Red line is undergoing a change in fare collection from turnstiles to random sweeps by transit police so the fare system is really strange right now. At some stations off peak you pay on the train (they have fareboxes bolted to the floor by the driver's compartments.) At others you pay at the station, then it switches during rush hour. Sometimes you pay at the station and on the train :huh: Very weird. Only the Tower City station was using turnstiles, the rest had fareboxes in the ticket windows :lol:
  • The Healthline BRT was very nice IMO. All new stations and new 2008-2009 New Flyer DE60LFAs. In the downtown area it has it's own lane and continues that way until about the last 15 or so stops where it operates more like a regular bus route.

Now here are some photos:

post-367-1242953703_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953724_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953765_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953799_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953828_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953884_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953905_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953931_thumb.jpg post-367-1242953959_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242953986_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954015_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954048_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242954071_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954103_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954135_thumb.jpg

post-367-1242954161_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954208_thumb.jpg post-367-1242954235_thumb.jpg

The only reaction I had to my filming/picture taking was when I got on one bus that I had filmed pulling up to the stop the driver asked if I was taking pictures of the bus, I said "Yes, I am visiting the area." and they didn't say anything else.

Nice pics! The paint scheme on the RTS buses look like CTAs RTS fleet. I was in Cleveland a couple years ago with my nephew and we rode the Red Line Tokyu cars, which I think are so cool by the way. I love those cars, with the overhead catenary and light rail trolleys operatring on the same trackage, the line resembles an interurban rail line. But our last day we did get stopped by Cleveland police and they were not very friendly about me filming aboard the train.

The "HealthLine" surprises me a bit, since most of the references were to the Euclid corridor.

I wonder (but doubt) whether the hospitals paid for the plug.

As far as some people I know in Cleveland are concerned, it could have been called the "Drew Carey/Mr. Wick's Office" Line.

Wow, So you never saw any remaining of RTA's Flxible Metros? They must have gotten rid of them recently. I'm glad those RTS 06s are still around I remember rode them when they were brand new in 1997 along with their 1989 TMC RTS which they were retired like around 2004.

Nice pics! The paint scheme on the RTS buses look like CTAs RTS fleet. I was in Cleveland a couple years ago with my nephew and we rode the Red Line Tokyu cars, which I think are so cool by the way. I love those cars, with the overhead catenary and light rail trolleys operatring on the same trackage, the line resembles an interurban rail line. But our last day we did get stopped by Cleveland police and they were not very friendly about me filming aboard the train.

Yeah the Tokyu cars are nice, especially with the cushioned seats. I like the platforms with stairs in the middle so both the Red line and Green/blue lines can stop there.

Which line were you filming on? I filmed out the window on the Blue line for about 4 minutes and no one seemed to care. I was sitting in plain view of the train operator too.

The "HealthLine" surprises me a bit, since most of the references were to the Euclid corridor.

It does say on the schedule that Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are sponsors. selling naming rights was mentioned as a possibility for the Cedar Ave. line near me. "Ride the Uponor Line" or "Ride the Apple Valley Ready Mix Line" perhaps.

Wow, So you never saw any remaining of RTA's Flxible Metros? They must have gotten rid of them recently. I'm glad those RTS 06s are still around I remember rode them when they were brand new in 1997 along with their 1989 TMC RTS which they were retired like around 2004.

I forgot to mention I did see one Flxible around Tower Square during the afternoon rush when I was on another bus heading for Pharmatown. I didn't catch the # though since it was a half block up. I was hoping maybe I could ride one or at least get a picture of one though :(

Yeah the Tokyu cars are nice, especially with the cushioned seats. I like the platforms with stairs in the middle so both the Red line and Green/blue lines can stop there.

Which line were you filming on? I filmed out the window on the Blue line for about 4 minutes and no one seemed to care. I was sitting in plain view of the train operator too.

It does say on the schedule that Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are sponsors. selling naming rights was mentioned as a possibility for the Cedar Ave. line near me. "Ride the Uponor Line" or "Ride the Apple Valley Ready Mix Line" perhaps.

I forgot to mention I did see one Flxible around Tower Square during the afternoon rush when I was on another bus heading for Pharmatown. I didn't catch the # though since it was a half block up. I was hoping maybe I could ride one or at least get a picture of one though :(

I hope IRM will get one of those Tokyu cars when theyre retired and one of the light rail Bredas. Anyway, it is a cool line to ride. I also rode the light rail to the Waterfront past Browns stadium. There i caught a 40 foot Flx Metro in the old orange RTA scheme. I shot some good video on the Veterans Memorial bridge. I got some good Flx bus action, you can see the Red Line from there and I also caught a Cleveland Fire truck with lts/sirens. I stopped at East 55th/Shops, I filmed there for about close to ten minutes no one seemed to care. I alwys tried to film in the second car, not the lead car where youre in view of the motorman. I did get some really good bus video at Tower City, all models even the MCI commuter buses. I got quite a few of the NABI 40 footers, the Flxibles and the RTS. I even got one of the 30ft Flx buses. I really enjoyed riding Cleveland's transit system. I plan to go back one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope IRM will get one of those Tokyu cars when theyre retired and one of the light rail Bredas. Anyway, it is a cool line to ride. I also rode the light rail to the Waterfront past Browns stadium. There i caught a 40 foot Flx Metro in the old orange RTA scheme. I shot some good video on the Veterans Memorial bridge. I got some good Flx bus action, you can see the Red Line from there and I also caught a Cleveland Fire truck with lts/sirens. I stopped at East 55th/Shops, I filmed there for about close to ten minutes no one seemed to care. I alwys tried to film in the second car, not the lead car where youre in view of the motorman. I did get some really good bus video at Tower City, all models even the MCI commuter buses. I got quite a few of the NABI 40 footers, the Flxibles and the RTS. I even got one of the 30ft Flx buses. I really enjoyed riding Cleveland's transit system. I plan to go back one day.

That would be great if IRM could get one of the Tokyu cars and one of the Breda cars. I don't think they'll be retired anytime soon though since they seemed to be in great shape :) That's cool you were able to get a lot of footage there too! I want to go back sometime again as well.

-------

Here is a link to links for part one of the Cleveland footage, to keep things simple I will not keep posting links to each video here so if anyone wants to see more then keep checking my blog's homepage or my YouTube channel over the next couple days :)

• 3 months later...

RTA adds articulated buses to its fleet Either the author of this article was given some bad info to write or NABI has some explaining to do about why this model* looks so similar to the New Flyer D60LFR^ :lol: Regardless its nice to see them getting some artics for regular route service.

*Not to mention, judging by the reflections in the windows, the photo displayed appears to have been taken at a New Flyer holding yard.

^There's not a picture of a D60LFR in this link but you get the idea from the D(E)40LFR pictures. Here is a picture of a Metro Transit D60LFR for comparison.

• Upvote 1

According to this article they will be NABI. GCRTA adds articulated buses to its fleet

Since the two links basically say the same thing, I doubt that they are independent. Given that the HealthLine runs new Flyers, it is denied that the new routes have BRTs, and NABI says it only made the 60LFW for CTA, I think that the common source is in error.

You also know that if NABI delivered the buses, it would have announced it, in the puff piece in which it mentioned LA and NJ.*

Anyway, here's a source saying that they were ordered from New Flyer.

I suppose that if we have any members from Cleveland, they could clarify this.

*They said their bus business "is on a roll," but not whether it was kaiser, poppy seed, hot dog, or kimmelweck.

Since the two links basically say the same thing, I doubt that they are independent. Given that the HealthLine runs new Flyers, it is denied that the new routes have BRTs, and NABI says it only made the 60LFW for CTA, I think that the common source is in error.

You also know that if NABI delivered the buses, it would have announced it, in the puff piece in which it mentioned LA and NJ.*

Anyway, here's a source saying that they were ordered from New Flyer.

I suppose that if we have any members from Cleveland, they could clarify this.

*They said their bus business "is on a roll," but not whether it was kaiser, poppy seed, hot dog, or kimmelweck.

Yes it was a misprint the picture from the GCRTA website (below) shows a photo of a New Flyer artic awaiting delivery at the NF facility. The article posted below does make reference to the New Flyer being the manufacturer of the newest fleet of artics eventhough the caption below the picture references NABI (strange). I wish they would've opted for the dual top mount HVAC units.

http://www.riderta.c...?listingid=1342

http://www.riderta.c...ed_1536x430.jpg

... I wish they would've opted for the dual top mount HVAC units.

The Chicago experience is that the pod over the back is the battery unit, and since the Cleveland ones were reportedly diesel, didn't need it.

Of course, the Cleveland one does have the grill on the back, and hence the question is whether it is necessary as part of the HVAC, or just a part of the revised styling, and hence, like the grill that used to be on the back of CTA 4000, superfluous.

Also, since I read the GCRTA page both after MVTARider and you posted it, it apparently was corrected in the meantime. I wonder if because of this thread?

• 5 months later...

Found some great footage of the RTA Flxibles and RTS taken in 2002 before the NABI invasion:

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 1

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 2

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 3

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 4

I was in Cleveland a few years ago, I enjoyed looking at all the buses and riding the trains. I wonder how come their Flxibles and RTS buses have the roof mounted a/c rather than the traditional style a/c units in the rear.

I was in Cleveland a few years ago, I enjoyed looking at all the buses and riding the trains. I wonder how come their Flxibles and RTS buses have the roof mounted a/c rather than the traditional style a/c units in the rear.

Some of the buses on the clips have CNG stickers on the back, which would indicate that the rooftop units are CNG tanks. Others, one can't tell. Cf. Wikipedia article, which says that some are CNG.

• 1 month later...

Found some great footage of the RTA Flxibles and RTS taken in 2002 before the NABI invasion:

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 1

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 2

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 3

Cleveland RTA Back in the Day part 4

I grew up in Cleveland, from 1981 (my birth) up until about 2005. It's so weird to see 2002 referred to as "Back in the Day". The buses in these videos are what I think of when I think of the RTA. It's also kind of a trip to look at videos of the Red Line Rapid and see them on single-car operation. The Red Line was always kind of dingy and never really took you to any parts of town you'd actually want to visit, but then the Blue/Green/Waterfront lines went to the more affluent parts of town that snubbed public transport anyway. I never really could understand why the rail lines still existed in Cleveland, but the bus system was never really that great in my part of town either, so... meh. I never really had any need or desire to take public transport until I moved to Chicago.

I grew up in Cleveland, from 1981 (my birth) up until about 2005. It's so weird to see 2002 referred to as "Back in the Day". The buses in these videos are what I think of when I think of the RTA. It's also kind of a trip to look at videos of the Red Line Rapid and see them on single-car operation. The Red Line was always kind of dingy and never really took you to any parts of town you'd actually want to visit, but then the Blue/Green/Waterfront lines went to the more affluent parts of town that snubbed public transport anyway. I never really could understand why the rail lines still existed in Cleveland, but the bus system was never really that great in my part of town either, so... meh. I never really had any need or desire to take public transport until I moved to Chicago.

I love riding the Red Line. I love those Tokyu cars, the catenary operation, the shared use with light rail cars. Just a really cool line to ride. It has a cool interurban look to it. Im thiunking of visiting again in the future.

I love riding the Red Line. I love those Tokyu cars, the catenary operation, the shared use with light rail cars. Just a really cool line to ride. It has a cool interurban look to it. Im thiunking of visiting again in the future.

Oh, blah. You're on your own on that one. I left Cleveland for a reason, haha. I visit my folks from time to time, but they live in one of the southernmost suburbs, an area that is serviced by like 1 RTA bus line.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's a Cleveland RTA question for you. What on earth are they doing in Chicago? I came across this today in Schaumburg, at Golf and S Mt Prospect Rd. There were maybe 10-15 of these things in that particular yard. They looked like regular old charter buses, but that is most definitely the GCRTA logo, unless multiple RTA's use the same logo.

web.jpg

EDIT:

So, after some Googling, I think I've probably answered my own question. The buses in question are MCI D4500 coaches. I found a picture of #1701 in use below. Based on where it is in this picture (East 3rd and Superior, most likely) and where it's headed (North Olmsted), I'd imagine they're used for trips that will run on the expressway. The most direct route from downtown Cleveland to North O is the highway, otherwise it would take for-ev-er on the side streets.

That said, it would explain what all those buses are doing here. It seems MCI is based in Schaumburg, at 1700 E Golf Rd. I'm guessing those are brand spanking new buses, waiting for delivery, since all the bus numbers are sequential.

RTA2549.jpg

So, here's a Cleveland RTA question for you. What on earth are they doing in Chicago? I came across this today in Schaumburg, at Golf and S Mt Prospect Rd. There were maybe 10-15 of these things in that particular yard. They looked like regular old charter buses, but that is most definitely the GCRTA logo, unless multiple RTA's use the same logo.

web.jpg

EDIT:

So, after some Googling, I think I've probably answered my own question. The buses in question are MCI D4500 coaches. I found a picture of #1701 in use below. Based on where it is in this picture (East 3rd and Superior, most likely) and where it's headed (North Olmsted), I'd imagine they're used for trips that will run on the expressway. The most direct route from downtown Cleveland to North O is the highway, otherwise it would take for-ev-er on the side streets.

That said, it would explain what all those buses are doing here. It seems MCI is based in Schaumburg, at 1700 E Golf Rd. I'm guessing those are brand spanking new buses, waiting for delivery, since all the bus numbers are sequential.

RTA2549.jpg

I went past that MCI yard on saturday, I saw those group of GCRTA buses there. Youll see some pretty interesting equipment there. That is some sort of MCI office. Ive seen other buses from other transit agencies there too. Last year I was working one of my Pace routes through Schaumburg and crossing in front of me were two brand new MCI coaches in the Houston Metro livery.

Nice find. Since the one photo is of 1701 and the other shows 1754 i'm guessing they are getting at least 55 coaches then, unless there's some gap in the numbers. Regardless I suppose this means the end of the line for the NovaBus RTS suburbans and perhaps the other NovaBus RTS' as well.

EDIT: Looking again i'm noticing 1701 has the silver skirting while the others appear to have white skirting. (Is skirting the right term?) So I bet there is some gap in the numbering range to reflect a change in year or order.

• 4 years later...

Thread bump (because this was the only Cleveland related thread I could find on this board):

• GCRTA recently received 23 New Flyer XD60 articulated buses (3200-series) which will ultimately be used on the 22 and 26 lines, along with the upgraded 55/55F later this year. I spotted a few of them in service this weekend on the 66R/Red Line Rapid bus substitution.
  • Since this last post, RTA acquired 16-18 New Flyer D60LFR artics in 2010 (3000-series) which are used on the 22.
  • RTA ordered 60 Gillig BRT CNG buses (tentatively assigned 3100-series), which will replace the remaining Nova and some of the 2200-series NABIs. The contract is for up to 240 buses over the next four years.
  • The HealthLine BRT buses are supposed to be all New Flyer DE60LFA hybrids, although I have reason to think that there are a few diesels. The hybrids are numbered 2900-2920, though I rode 2951 this morning toward Tower City and spotted 2953 heading towards Windermere.

IIRC there was some mention of a few 'extra articulated BRT buses being added due to the success of the line', before the order for the 2010 D60LFR. So the 295X ones would have to be it. I know 2900-2920 have the CAT C-9 with Allison EP-50 Hybrid Drive system. Did you notice if 2951 sounded like it had CAT as well?