New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

9 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

The 856 replacements on 855 are two additional journeys to the existing timetable starting/ending at Burr Ridge providing additional seats from/to there.

The 755 has always only stopped at Plainfield and Old Chicago. Apart from the Bridgeview journeys on the 855, the only other change in stopping pattern is 851 only serving White Fence Farm and not starting from Old Chicago.

Terminology: we call “replacements” “deviations” when diverting from the main route. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, Tcmetro said:

The new I-55 Corridor schedules have been posted:

755/850/851: http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=1362

855: http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=1348

The SeatGeek stop has been renamed to Bridgeview Transit Center with two trips in each direction. The 855 trips that serve both stops leave at the same time as a direct trip from Burr Ridge.

Looks like Pace and CTA still don't communicate with each other on some things if the newest CTA maps still showing 856 as a separate active route is any indication. 9_9xD

• 1 month later...

Looks like 215 will get service changes soon. The bus stops between old orchard and golf/crawford no longer shows 215. It just shows 208. And if that's the case that means 210 will be discontinued and route 215 and 226 will be extended. This includes the introduction of route 641.

Yet i may be wrong 

1 hour ago, west towns said:

what is 641?

It’s the new bus route that’ll replace CTA 54A - N. Cicero/Skokie Blvd, or at least partially replace service of it. The 54A is being discontinued before year’s end. This new bus route will run the soon-to-be-gone 54A segment between the Skokie Courthouse and Cicero/Touhy. At Touhy,  buses will run express to the Jefferson Park Blue Line terminal via the I-94, Foster Ave, & Milwaukee Ave. The 215 is being changed to end at Jefferson Park as well by extending service along Crawford south of Howard St to Peterson then Cicero, Foster, and Milwaukee. So the 215 will cover service on Cicero between Foster & Peterson, and the 641 will cover service between Touhy and the Skokie Court. Other than that, there will be no bus service on Cicero between Peterson & Touhy, and Foster & Montrose.

2 hours ago, John7 said:

Looks like 215 will get service changes soon. The bus stops between old orchard and golf/crawford no longer shows 215. It just shows 208. And if that's the case that means 210 will be discontinued and route 215 and 226 will be extended. This includes the introduction of route 641.

Yet i may be wrong 

I knew i was wrong. Everything I've said above was wrong. There won't be any discontinuation, extension or service change just yet except for route 215 having a route change. It will still serve howard cta.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=1603

With any luck this whole thing will be stillborn. This reminds me of when Michigan City Indiana made a big origin/destination study in the late 70s and rearranged all their routes according to the findings. Found out overnight that people did not travel the way the study predicted and riding fell like 80 percent first week. This messed up the operation for years to come, until they went back to something similar to the original network in the mid 80s.

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

With any luck this whole thing will be stillborn. This reminds me of when Michigan City Indiana made a big origin/destination study in the late 70s and rearranged all their routes according to the findings. Found out overnight that people did not travel the way the study predicted and riding fell like 80 percent first week. This messed up the operation for years to come, until they went back to something similar to the original network in the mid 80s.

Do you mean the entire NSCP? Or just the 641?

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Do you mean the entire NSCP? Or just the 641?

Splitting Cicero service into disconnected pieces does not makeu h sense. Skokie Court to Jeff - ok. Nothing Touhy to Peterson, then Peterson to Foster to Jeff, no service Foster to Montrose makes little sense. I would think leave 215 alone, run 54 up to Touhy part time, turn via 290 Central loop

5 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Splitting Cicero service into disconnected pieces does not makeu h sense. Skokie Court to Jeff - ok. Nothing Touhy to Peterson, then Peterson to Foster to Jeff, no service Foster to Montrose makes little sense. I would think leave 215 alone, run 54 up to Touhy part time, turn via 290 Central loop

The reason it's being split up is probably because there's not a huge amount of ridership along the corridor. Crawford btwn Howard & Peterson already has no service, but instead of rerouting to the 215 serve Cicero, its going to continue on Crawford. What does that say about how CTA/Pace feels about ridership on that section of Cicero? 54A has been running the same limited service schedule since I can remember, which also probably means since I've been alive, so at least 14-20 years. Ultimately, the people losing out aren't worth the cost of keeping a bus along that portion. Now, I don't see the point of getting on Edens and not going to at least Dempster. What they should've done is sent the 54 to Jeff Park (cause not like it actually serves Montrose) and you restore some of the lost service

Additionally, 215 might as well serve Lincolnwood Town Center

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The reason it's being split up is probably because there's not a huge amount of ridership along the corridor. Crawford btwn Howard & Peterson already has no service, but instead of rerouting to the 215 serve Cicero, its going to continue on Crawford. What does that say about how CTA/Pace feels about ridership on that section of Cicero? 54A has been running the same limited service schedule since I can remember, which also probably means since I've been alive, so at least 14-20 years. Ultimately, the people losing out aren't worth the cost of keeping a bus along that portion. Now, I don't see the point of getting on Edens and not going to at least Dempster. What they should've done is sent the 54 to Jeff Park (cause not like it actually serves Montrose) and you restore some of the lost service

Additionally, 215 might as well serve Lincolnwood Town Center

I don’t see any problem with running 54 to Jeff park it can go Cicero-Foster-Jeff park or Cicero-Lawrence-Jeff park like the X54 did long time ago 

1 hour ago, west towns said:

the study was a joint Pace CTA project

Yes, but changes to the 54 didn't fall/weren't recommended under the purview of that project, only the 54A. Additionally, with the 54, much like with the 8A & 24, CTA has been content with letting people walk 5-7 mins to the train instead of directly serving the station for years. If they thought people were hurting for a Jeff Pk connection that bad, they'd have extended it when they cut the X54

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Service change. 364 and 379 will serve the north side of Orland square mall with 379 serving the mall every hour instead of every 30 min on weekdays. 832 and the call n ride will no longer serve Orland square mall. 379 and 832's service changes are the one's I'm not ok with. And 379 will no longer operate on its temporary COVID-19 schedule. It will resume normal weekday service. https://www.pacebus.com/notice/routes-364-379-832-tinley-park-demand-service-change

On 9/28/2020 at 1:33 AM, John7 said:

Service change. 364 and 379 will serve the north side of Orland square mall with 379 serving the mall every hour instead of every 30 min on weekdays. 832 and the call n ride will no longer serve Orland square mall. 379 and 832's service changes are the one's I'm not ok with. And 379 will no longer operate on its temporary COVID-19 schedule. It will resume normal weekday service. https://www.pacebus.com/notice/routes-364-379-832-tinley-park-demand-service-change

The 379 (and 386) should've had their schedules restored a long while ago. These buses were only ever crowded because the routes are too long for weekday capacity to be addressed by a bus only once an hour, FedEx aside.

Is this the mall making this decision or Pace? Why not just have all service to mall, why bypass it?

44 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The 379 (and 386) should've had their schedules restored a long while ago. These buses were only ever crowded because the routes are too long for weekday capacity to be addressed by a bus only once an hour, FedEx aside.

When I rode 386 last week, they were running two buses on the same schedule, a 40 ft and a 30 ft. They aren't doing that now according to Bus Tracker, so maybe that is only for busier trips.

47 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Is this the mall making this decision or Pace? Why not just have all service to mall, why bypass it?

A few years ago, the mall told Pace that the buses couldn't lay over on the property anymore, which led to the creation of the Herion/Wheeler terminal. Pace allocated $400,000 for the "Orland Square Mall Passenger Facility" in the 2019 budget. Around the same time, the mall announced a renovation plan which would remove some of the unused parking to create more green space and other amenities such as a playground. My guess at the time was that the mall project would include a bus terminal (like Ford City did) whereas Busjack's interpretation was that they'd improve the Herion/Wheeler site. Now it looks like we both may have been partly right. I'll have to go there and see for myself.

From my own observations, most shoppers are coming from 364, with a few others from 379. The 832 has low ridership in general. Tinley Park On Demand only goes there to provide a connection to 379 for Moraine Valley students, so doesn't need to serve the mall itself.

5 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

When I rode 386 last week, they were running two buses on the same schedule, a 40 ft and a 30 ft. They aren't doing that now according to Bus Tracker, so maybe that is only for busier trips.

A few years ago, the mall told Pace that the buses couldn't lay over on the property anymore, which led to the creation of the Herion/Wheeler terminal. Pace allocated $400,000 for the "Orland Square Mall Passenger Facility" in the 2019 budget. Around the same time, the mall announced a renovation plan which would remove some of the unused parking to create more green space and other amenities such as a playground. My guess at the time was that the mall project would include a bus terminal (like Ford City did) whereas Busjack's interpretation was that they'd improve the Herion/Wheeler site. Now it looks like we both may have been partly right. I'll have to go there and see for myself.

From my own observations, most shoppers are coming from 364, with a few others from 379. The 832 has low ridership in general. Tinley Park On Demand only goes there to provide a connection to 379 for Moraine Valley students, so doesn't need to serve the mall itself.

The 379 once upon a time terminated at Morraine Valley.  There was another route that terminated at Orland Sq.  For some reason,  Pace chose to extend the 379 to Orland, which didn't seem to make sense. 

15 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

They do this on the 379 and 386 mostly as relief for FedEx riders, so all 20-40 of us aren't on bus one bus. The buses are usually schedules for the shift changes, so anywhere from 11a-12:30p and 4:30-5:30p Tues-Sat at least, I don't know how it works Mon-Sun

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The 379 once upon a time terminated at Morraine Valley.  There was another route that terminated at Orland Sq.  For some reason,  Pace chose to extend the 379 to Orland, which didn't seem to make sense. 

Was it combined with that other route? This makes me wish for an irm history website for Pace

14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Was it combined with that other route? This makes me wish for an irm history website for Pace

Here’s an image from the 2000 RTA System Map. Routes were like this until the 2008 South Cook/Will restructuring.

Wayback Machine has a lot of the individual route schedules.

E5D0A7D2-C763-4DC6-B809-3AA9C7D04D17.jpeg

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Here was the approach (where it was explained when I started in 2009):

• Using a one-seat ride from Orland Square to MVC to 79th was a better draw for the 379 than having 386 operate to Orland.
  • The initial report from 2006 was that the 386 was supposed to go to Harvey (but instead, came the 356).
  • Mannheim didn't have a bus route (save 386), and was slightly faster to go to Orland Square than the original 384 routing (especially if your final destination was Ford City or Midway)
  • 384 didn't have enough trip generators from Orland Square to Chicago Ridge. 
  • It was easier to have a direct route from Tinley Park to Midway (and everything in between) since DeVry and that business park was there (and said 356 was a transfer point).
  • And it was also the objective to have more direct north-south, east-west routes and to eliminate/reduce the zig zagging. 
  • Thanks 1