New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

On the Illinois Tollway site, there is a video of the Active Traffic Management system, stating off with showing Bus on Shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9CLa0GppwAA

That closing the lane a good distance behind and in front of a stalled vehicle so it can be cleared out of the way is a good feature among the improvements.

That closing the lane a good distance behind and in front of a stalled vehicle so it can be cleared out of the way is a good feature among the improvements.

I thought something like this was proposed about 50 years ago when the red Xs were put on the Kennedy Expressway where the reversible lanes split.

The cameras are on Indiana expressways (Borman and I-65 site) but it doesn't look like InDot does anything more interactive than stare at the cameras, have estimated travel time fixed signs, or send out the Highway Helpers.

But we digress.

I thought something like this was proposed about 50 years ago when the red Xs were put on the Kennedy Expressway where the reversible lanes split.

The cameras are on Indiana expressways (Borman and I-65 site) but it doesn't look like InDot does anything more interactive than stare at the cameras, have estimated travel time fixed signs, or send out the Highway Helpers.

But we digress.

Well if IDOT does do it this time around hopefully they do more than InDot currently is with their setup.

Not IDOT, but Tollway Authority.

Oops. My mistake there. Thank you for the clarification. I knew it was the Tollway in the back of my mind but we got enough projects on the drawing boards or actually getting off the ground all at the same time that I easily slipped up there. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Moving Forward has 618 starting Aug. 17.

As previously indicated:

The route departs the Western Avenue Metra Station in Chicago at 5:55am and stops at Chicago Union Station at 6:10am before traveling nonstop to the Lake Cook Road Metra Station, where connections can be made to several ShuttleBug routes.

Also a $4.00 fare.

Passenger Notice

The linked printed Passenger Notice indicates that the bus will become a Shuttle Bug, and a Metra monthly ticket will be accepted as the fare.

From the appearance of the schedule flyer, it looks like it is being promoted at the employers,so it probably is not starting "cold."

Moving Forward has 618 starting Aug. 17.

As previously indicated:

The route departs the Western Avenue Metra Station in Chicago at 5:55am and stops at Chicago Union Station at 6:10am before traveling nonstop to the Lake Cook Road Metra Station, where connections can be made to several ShuttleBug routes.

Also a $4.00 fare.

Passenger Notice

The linked printed Passenger Notice indicates that the bus will become a Shuttle Bug, and a Metra monthly ticket will be accepted as the fare.

From the appearance of the schedule flyer, it looks like it is being promoted at the employers,so it probably is not starting "cold."

Any idea of whether or not their planning to add seats, for there is a shelter at Hubbard & Artesian, but its mostly bike racks? Also, why is the bus starting there instead of CUS?

Any idea of whether or not their planning to add seats, for there is a shelter at Hubbard & Artesian, but its mostly bike racks? Also, why is the bus starting there instead of CUS?

MetroShadow said that it was easier to get on I-94 (Kennedy Expressway) downtown, rather than to backtrack east or north.

I don't get it either. The work force is not all going to be living in that area. Also why get off a metra that is going to lake cook rd? Then why tour chicago on the way to work? Probably somewhere that is close to an "L" and an expressway would make the most sense for a terminal. Irving Pk/blue line? If they plan on taking the expressway all the way down to Jackson that's going to be murderous on their travel times. They really need a bus on shoulder. On a friday the blue line could be 3 times faster than the dragging kennedy traffic or just riding the metra might be up to 5 times faster.

I don't get it either. The work force is not all going to be living in that area. Also why get off a metra that is going to lake cook rd? Then why tour chicago on the way to work? Probably somewhere that is close to an "L" and an expressway would make the most sense for a terminal. Irving Pk/blue line? If they plan on taking the expressway all the way down to Jackson that's going to be murderous on their travel times. They really need a bus on shoulder. On a friday the blue line could be 3 times faster than the dragging kennedy traffic or just riding the metra might be up to 5 times faster.

The trip runs fairly early in the morning. I believe it is a supplemental trip instead of Metra adding a train, since the first MDN train towards Fox Lake leaving CUS gets in at 7:22. I don't think traffic conditions, bar an accident, are going to be too bad that early if the bus gets to Lake Cook Rd 5 mins to 7:00a. I do agree with you on the fact that it makes more sense to start the bus off in the West Loop (maybe UIC or something like that?) or CUS/OTC. 

Somehow you forgot that this is a minor part of a BOS proposal for the Edens.

The rest of it is dependent on the employment situation at Lake Cook, They are still running 9 shuttle routes there, so not everyone lives in Northbrook and Deerfield.

NewFlyerMCI otherwise adequately answered.

Hubbard & Artesian isn't downtown. Maybe MS meant it's easier to get on west of downtown?

Hubband and Artesian is the Western Ave. Metra station. It goes from there to Union Station, which is downtown.

Hubband and Artesian is the Western Ave. Metra station. It goes from there to Union Station, which is downtown.

Now I understand what MS said by having to backtrack if the stops are served in the correct order, but there has to be a passenger base (whether by neighborhood or commuting) since I still don't understand why the bus has to stop at Western Ave. instead of starting at CUS.

Now I understand what MS said by having to backtrack if the stops are served in the correct order, but there has to be a passenger base (whether by neighborhood or commuting) since I still don't understand why the bus has to stop at Western Ave. instead of starting at CUS.

There's demand, especially out of West Town or Wicker Park.

Doesn't make any sense to wiggle your way from Artesian to the Kennedy when you can go from Artesian to Union when the Kennedy is near the station.

Whatever North Shore has, they'll put out.

Since they say that it will turn into a Shuttle Bug, probably a 40 foot bus, since that usually runs with 4 40 foot buses and 4 30 foot buses, and I don't think they will be running the 30 foot ones.

There's demand, especially out of West Town or Wicker Park.

Doesn't make any sense to wiggle your way from Artesian to the Kennedy when you can go from Artesian to Union when the Kennedy is near the station.

I don't get this solely serving Metra part of this plan. What do they have significant ridership on the burlington to lake cook rd? Plus at the hours mentioned is there even rail service on those lines? They could have easily went up Western to the blue line made a stop and serve CTA.

As far as equipment, I would at least get them an MCI or one of the highway branded eldorados. They expect people to ride a standard city bus up to lake cook rd everyday?

Edited by BusHunter

I don't get this solely serving Metra part of this plan. What do they have significant ridership on the burlington to lake cook rd? Plus at the hours mentioned is there even rail service on those lines? They could have easily went up Western to the blue line made a stop and serve CTA.

As far as equipment, I would at least get them an MCI or one of the highway branded eldorados. They expect people to ride a standard city bus up to lake cook rd everyday?

Last, first, they don't have MCIs or Axess Express buses at North Shore. The statement that it becomes a Shuttle Bug indicates that no additional equipment is going to be used.

On the "serving Metra" it is the same as any other Metra substitute, such as the former 835 and North Central Service buses, which only stopped at Metra stations. Those were eliminated when Metra service was improved.

Last, first, they don't have MCIs or Axess Express buses at North Shore. The statement that it becomes a Shuttle Bug indicates that no additional equipment is going to be used.

On the "serving Metra" it is the same as any other Metra substitute, such as the former 835 and North Central Service buses, which only stopped at Metra stations. Those were eliminated when Metra service was improved.

Wouldn't that be the longest ride on a standard bus? (not counting the six flags bus) I know they don't have any of those buses, but whose to say they couldn't get one or two?

OK I get the metra only, i didn't know they were shuttle bugs, but those are typically short routes, this is going to be the longest one I ever heard of.

Wouldn't that be the longest ride on a standard bus? (not counting the six flags bus) I know they don't have any of those buses, but whose to say they couldn't get one or two?

OK I get the metra only, i didn't know they were shuttle bugs, but those are typically short routes, this is going to be the longest one I ever heard of.

I suppose on could get out the mileage calculator, but 626 runs mostly express from Dempster to Lincohnshire with the same sort of equipment  Remember that 6200s have padded bench seats. Also, essentially the same type of equipment was run when 2120s were on express routes (differed from other Orion Is only in that they had bench seats).

895 is run with mostly 30 foot Eldos (and before that paratransits), and that's at least as long and express.

Some of the local routes take over an hour (such as 422 is 1:20 one way).

Since they say that it will turn into a Shuttle Bug, probably a 40 foot bus, since that usually runs with 4 40 foot buses and 4 30 foot buses, and I don't think they will be running the 30 foot ones.

I've seen Eldorkos on 576 and 622 before their demise, it's not impossible, but 35 or 40 footers would be legitimate.

877 and 888 rank pretty high on the list. 

I've seen Eldorkos on 576 and 622 before their demise, it's not impossible, but 35 or 40 footers would be legitimate.

Not sure how that's relevant to this, as both were shuttle routes, not express ones.

877 and 888 rank pretty high on the list. 

Standard buses have run there, but they are now the Axess Express buses, which BusHunter said should also be on 618.

Edited by Busjack

Somehow you forgot that this is a minor part of a BOS proposal for the Edens.

Since you mentioned this, how can a standard bus run this? Wouldn't any bus that ran on a shoulder, be branded "express" and could only serve those routes? While they might get away with no special bus now, I don't see how it could work with bos.