2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Now they have four tracks of #2200's in Rosemont yard. Practically the whole NW corner of the yard is #2200's. There's at least 24 cars between the four tracks. Looks like service is starting to wind down for the #2200's. Now that it's getting warm out, their starting to have problems with hot cars. (#2223-24 being one of them, hopper windows opened on #2223) I think their going to avoid this problem however with the retirement of the cars. I was surprised however #2209-10 has nice AC. I was wondering why in the last year they have stripped off the ventilation covers on alot of #2200's and #2600's. I guess all that gunk from decades past was clogging up the airways.

Might as well add 2263-64 with No A/C. Rode them as Hot Ride couple times last Summer.

I am told from several people that the IRM charter on June 2nd is going to be the last 2200 charter. I was also told that only about 30 tickets are left available for purchase which means they went real fast in the last week. Maybe people are catching on? Here is the link to the IRM store page. http://www3.irm.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=1999 I'd say if you like these cars and want to ride them for more than just the blue line that this might be it..

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you see it at ?

Passed it at Western/Milwaukee on the blue line. (It was going SB) It was trailing an in service train that just passed before Damen and then another behind it at California. So it sounds like the headways were too close to have all 3 trains in service. (It was late in the evening around 7PM) I'll have to see if it's still at rosemont yard, (it was still there yesterday) if not it's probably at Skokie Shops. I don't know when IRM is supposed to take possession of it, but it might not be until all #2200's are retired which should be soon.

Maybe something is going on this weekend. (unless they want to store it at Skokie) #2243-44 is no longer at Rosemont, it has gone to Skokie with #2259-60. #2263-64 is now over by the storage cars in Rosemont yard. So we can chalk up another 2 cars on the dead line at least.

FWIW I got off a northbound Red Line train at Howard around 9:40pm tonight. Around Lawrence I noticed a northbound train of 2200s passed us by on track 4. Unfortunately I didn't count the cars. Anyone know what was up?

Yeah, the #2200's are starting to get more scarce on the blue line. They were lucky if they were running 10-16 cars tonight on the entire line. Also more cars seem to have left the storage track in Rosemont. The end seems near. Looks like somewhere in the vicinity of June 30th - July 4th and that will be it. So, if anyone still wants to ride one, they have a few more days left.

I'll be visiting Chicago mid July. Any chance 2200s will still be around?

Try getting on during either rush hour at any station on the Blue Line O'Hare segment and stand towards the middle of the platform for your best chance of getting on a 2200. If getting on at O'Hare you can browse the three tracks at the station with more chances at the beginning of either rush than late as trains are also going back to the yard at the end of both rush hours.

The reason for my suggestions are 1) Only the Blue line is running 2200s (obvious to those who live here/on this board, 2) The Blue line has more service at times on the O'Hare branch than the Forest Park branch, so less waiting time to find a 2200. (See schedule), 3) Service is more frequent at rush hour, so again less waiting time. 4) There's been predictions of the 2200s ending service for the last year and a half, and yet they are still here - so unless you see a LOT of comments on this site about the 2200s finally being out of revenue service, they're probably still running.

Also check the CTA "L" Rosters - Page 1 here: (thanks to sw4400)

http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/2849-cta-l-rosters/

Take a look under Blue Line and Long-Term Holds/Retired/Not In Service for frequent updates.

Good luck riding a 2200 during your visit.

Caught 2271, 2318 and 2223 this morning on three separate trains, after the rush hour (10:30-11:00am), traveling from Jefferson Park to Clark/Lake. On each train only two of the eight cars were 2200. Only saw one other train with 2200 in the consist all other trains were solidly 2600.

They are not in use at weekends anymore - all weekend trains are 4 car 2600.

Whether they are here in the middle of July depends on delivery of 5000 to the Red Line

Wouldn't that be one of the IRM cars they've purchased to add to their collection? I'd like to know the shipping company's name.

Edt. But taking a second look, the unit looks bare boned.

That photo was actually of car #2344, the car with the busted up motorman's cab. It was on its way to the scrappers.

That photo was actually of car #2344, the car with the busted up motorman's cab. It was on its way to the scrappers.

Next stop Aurora. Doors open on the right at Aurora. :P

Or was it heading in the other direction?

I wonder if the Railway Museum can restore at least one 2200 car to its original state.

At a minimum that would require yanking out the fiberglass seats and installing black leather ones, and yanking out the cab configuration and putting back the false walls that folded against the front and first right side window. Sounds like too much work.