2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

If you go back up the topic, you'll note that was why I wasn't interested in the trip, because my belief was that the cars were screwed up in the rehab, whatever the operational reasons were for doing so.

I'm not sure that the frames around the cab windows were changed, but another more obvious thing is that originally the rest of the windows were "frameless" or "flush," instead of having the stainless frame when replaced with hopper window units.

On the other hand, other than having two series of striping before finally being stripped clean, and the red-white-and-blue cab ends coated gray, the 2400s are relatively unchanged, the differences being the seat inserts, having a fold up wheelchair position seat added, and the one operator changes. There might be something more subtle there, but I'm sure CTA doesn't have the money to restripe trains for a fan trip. Printing up a few fake route and advertising cards is comparatively cheap.

They didn't even do that. I was told it was IRM, who providing the advertising cards. I think NY Railcar did a good job with the rehab. The car looked alot more modern than it was. One look at the #2000's and you would swear they were 20-25 years older. The #2400's are a good railcar too, but I wish CTA wouldn't have stripped the ends of their paint and destripe them. They look really good in the Blues Brothers movie. Maybe someone can paint the ends of at least a 6 or 8 car consist. Probably would need to be privately funded, but if IRM is buying a pair anyway maybe that pair painted could be the purchased cars.

....I think NY Railcar did a good job with the rehab. The car looked alot more modern than it was. One look at the #2000's and you would swear they were 20-25 years older....

I don't know if they did a good job with the mechanicals, but they sure messed up the interiors with the 1972 bus scheme as opposed to what someone else pointed out was the much sleeker Skidmoor Owings Merrill black and gray scheme.

The 2000s were ahead of their time too, but looked older based on the ceiling air conditioner and stanchions. Of course, they got so abused, especially after the 1979(?) blizzard, that they didn't hold up. A 29 year retirement seems short by CTA standards, but not compared to what the 2600s are supposed to get.

And, of course, anything would have to be newer compared to the either actually or emulated recycled trolley car interiors of the 6000s.

Well it doesn't help the #2000's they never had a heavy rehab. They probably had the same problems as the Orion VI's with the air conditioner leaking on someone's head, so there was that design flaw to think about to in whether they wanted to rehab those or cut their losses.

From the various books, it appeared that they took such a beating in the blizzard that CTA figured to rewire the motors and that's about it. Krambles also mentioned that being the first with that kind of equipment, maintenance was always a headache. But, at the same time, he foresaw an additional order after the 3200s to replace them, not that they would be replaced by the 3200s.

There is also the question when the feds considered rehabs to be a proper capital expense, although the impression I got was that was around 2000 when the 4400 buses got them, so that might not be relevant when the 2200s got them in the 1990s.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like Rosemont yard is now down to 4 #2200 series cars. Last night and a few nights before that they have removed all the farewell old friends cars at Rosemont. They just have the six farewell cars at Harlem Yard on the Green line and four regular cars (#2209-10, #2317-18) mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I ride the Green Line heading to Cottage Grove. Passing by the 61st Street yard, 2200s cars #2273-74 are still there. The CTA made these cars as the maintainence office. Also, I have seen 6-car 2400s worktrains sitting at 63rd Street yard as well. They have been there since the Red Line Construction.

Today, I ride the Green Line heading to Cottage Grove. Passing by the 61st Street yard, 2200s cars #2273-74 are still there. The CTA made these cars as the maintainence office. Also, I have seen 6-car 2400s worktrains sitting at 63rd Street yard as well. They have been there since the Red Line Construction.

Contrary to what chicago-l.org says #2209-10 are still in rosemont yard.

That's a real interesting capture! Is that where they get scrapped at?

chicago-l.org has 2238 "awaiting scrapping." Same for 2239, if that's what it is.

There was the contract to scrap 30 2200s and 70 2400s, but, as usual for CTA transparency, it isn't in the Awarded Contracts web database.

The ones before that went to Chicago Heights.

• Upvote 3

Hey, BusHunter!! I also found this picture on flickr of the 2200s car #2239 sitting at the parking lot at Pershing Road (39th Street) near the Stock Yards. http://www.flickr.com/photos/31203742@N00/11181881843/in/pool-36679767@N00/lightbox/.

I don't know why it's there. That is strange. Where is that exactly? Who owns the property?

They didn't say exactly where on Pershing Road? I'm guessing it's near close to Halsted Street near the Stock Yards?? :mellow: They don't know who own it!! Correction!! The car is #2238, not #2239. My mistaken.

From the angle of Willis tower, you appear to be correct. A look at Google maps does reveal a black fence just west of the racine overpass but the background is different.

From the angle of Willis tower, you appear to be correct. A look at Google maps does reveal a black fence just west of the racine overpass but the background is different.

Yes. When he was describing about where he took that picture at Pershing Avenue. He meant Pershing Road (39th Street). Someone was stated that across the street from the parking lot there is a playhouse.

Yes. When he was describing about where he took that picture at Pershing Avenue. He meant Pershing Road (39th Street). Someone was stated that across the street from the parking lot there is a playhouse.

They said the school needs a playhouse(joke about using the train car)There is a school to the left(IIRC)out of the picture...

Hey, BusHunter!! I also found this picture on flickr of the 2200s car #2239 sitting at the parking lot at Pershing Road (39th Street) near the Stock Yards. http://www.flickr.com/photos/31203742@N00/11181881843/in/pool-36679767@N00/lightbox/.

Chicago-I.org shed some light on #2238. They updated there #2200's scrap list, (which I can't get) The car was sold to Catchmo Media. They have a link under #2200 rosters on his page. Now to find out where that is on Pershing.

Chicago-I.org shed some light on #2238. They updated there #2200's scrap list, (which I can't get) The car was sold to Catchmo Media. They have a link under #2200 rosters on his page. Now to find out where that is on Pershing.

Their website says they are in Beverly (at least based on their phone number). Maybe, though, they needed to make a video of a graffitied up car on Pershing.

Home page has a Tribune story that you can bid at Rick Levin Auctions for one of two 2200 series cars online. Also some 2200 series parts, such as the last blinker doors.*

Am my mother says (and I said with regard to a bus, and apparently Cartchmo will find out), this seems to be a gift that will keep on costing.

________

*Also some bus stop signs.