2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Home page has a Tribune story that you can bid at Rick Levin Auctions for one of two 2200 series cars online. Also some 2200 series parts, such as the last blinker doors.*

Am my mother says (and I said with regard to a bus, and apparently Cartchmo will find out), this seems to be a gift that will keep on costing.

________

*Also some bus stop signs.

Xmas is coming too!! (hint hint) :P You would think they could make some money on the parts. (they already have bids) It's like owning a piece of history. They actually have a diner on Belmont, a few doors east of the red line station on the south side of the street with "L" car seats as benches and a few tailight and headlight fixtures and other "L" related things. I forget the name of the place. Maybe Catchmo is thinking some Hollywood studio might want to rent his train, but they could buy one themselves now. I'm surprised IRM doesn't buy one for the parts.

Xmas is coming too!! (hint hint) :P You would think they could make some money on the parts....

In that the stories originally said "a car" I didn't make the connection from the photos (until now) that the 2 cars are 2347-2348. chicago-l.org has them as scrapped, but not scrapped by Belson.

Maybe this and the Catchmo report indicate why the contract to scrap 30 was short, according to your accounting.

In that the stories originally said "a car" I didn't make the connection from the photos (until now) that the 2 cars are 2347-2348. chicago-l.org has them as scrapped, but not scrapped by Belson.

Maybe this and the Catchmo report indicate why the contract to scrap 30 was short, according to your accounting.

But i don't have them as scrapped. :P Thanks for the link!! BTW; the retirement list is updated now. A big thank you to Graham Garfield for the scrap dates. If he wants to use my in service dates he's welcome. Those are official from the CTA, but he probably has the access anyway.

So according to this list there are still 21 #2200 cars on cta property. 19 at skokie and #2273-74 at 61st and I didn't count #2209-10.

I rode passed Rosemont Yard last evening while riding the CTA Holiday Train Blue Line and I didn't see #2209-10 there, I guess they're gone.

I rode passed Rosemont Yard last evening while riding the CTA Holiday Train Blue Line and I didn't see #2209-10 there, I guess they're gone.

You're right it's gone. I wonder if then that's the end of #2600 cars coming over to the blue line. The purple line was running 30 #2600 cars the other day all loans from the red line. The blue line probably won't get anything now until they start retiring the #2600 series.

Home page has a Tribune story that you can bid at Rick Levin Auctions for one of two 2200 series cars online. Also some 2200 series parts, such as the last blinker doors.*

Am my mother says (and I said with regard to a bus, and apparently Cartchmo will find out), this seems to be a gift that will keep on costing.

________

*Also some bus stop signs.

Looks like CTA's going to make about $800 on the few #2200's parts they list.(today's the last day) I'm surprised they actually have a bid on #2347. I wonder if they stripped down a train and sold it in pieces could they actually have made more than $4K on a railcar. They could then sell the hull to a scrap dealer. Maybe that's what the bidder has in mind. I don't know what #1892- #1992 cost IRM or was it donated, but maybe they bid on it after all. Probably would cost them more in the long run to fix #2243-44 especially if they have to have parts shipped to them.

Looks like CTA's going to make about $800 on the few #2200's parts they list.(today's the last day) I'm surprised they actually have a bid on #2347. I wonder if they stripped down a train and sold it in pieces could they actually have made more than $4K on a railcar. They could then sell the hull to a scrap dealer. Maybe that's what the bidder has in mind. I don't know what #1892- #1992 cost IRM or was it donated, but maybe they bid on it after all. Probably would cost them more in the long run to fix #2243-44 especially if they have to have parts shipped to them.

Based on the scrap contracts, CTA knows what the cars were worth as scrap.

Apparently it thought it could get more from enthusiasts by auctioning it, and one person bit on the minimum bid. The only other question is whether enthusiasts would bid more on parts than the car. Personally, I don't have a use for a car or a spring. Also, if CTA sold the car as parts, it would have to pay the cost of disassembling it, while the usual is to just let the scrap contractor put the whole car on a flatbed.

Based on the scrap contracts, CTA knows what the cars were worth as scrap. Apparently it thought it could get more from enthusiasts by auctioning it, and one person bit on the minimum bid. The only other question is whether enthusiasts would bid more on parts than the car. Personally, I don't have a use for a car or a spring. Also, if CTA sold the car as parts, it would have to pay the cost of disassembling it, while the usual is to just let the scrap contractor put the whole car on a flatbed.

But then why have this auction in the first place. I personally would have been more interested in CTA PCC parts, as they are more significant being actual streetcar components/parts. But your telling me you wouldn't have been interested in some original vinyl #2200 seats?

But then why have this auction in the first place. I personally would have been more interested in CTA PCC parts, as they are more significant being actual streetcar components/parts. But your telling me you wouldn't have been interested in some original vinyl #2200 seats?

If they had any, they got rid of them 20 years ago.

Any original PCC parts. probably 15.

But basically, there doesn't seem to be any sense to this auction, except to get a marginal amount of publicity and money. Scooter was kicking around on the CTA Tattler whether the bus stop signs put up made any sense, in that new ones like 148 to Foster and 111 King Dr. are on the block, instead of something like 11 Lincoln (downtown).

Anyway, an hour and a half to go to see if someone bids on the second car.

I think they are doing better on the signs, many of them around $70. I hope they weren't throwing those out before. Alot of people collect those and it's more practical to put on your wall versus a door, which I only see buying if you wanted a transit themed bar or diner. Those portable fare collectors caught my eye though., but something seems different about those. They look bigger than the one Graham was wearing on the CTA #2200's final trip.

Btw I just looked one car is going for 9K and one for 10K. And the other bids have skyrocketed. A sign for $250? Wow this is really been a success. Matbe they should have more auctions.

Btw I just looked one car is going for 9K and one for 10K. And the other bids have skyrocketed. A sign for $250? Wow this is really been a success. Matbe they should have more auctions.

I guess it must be like eBay--no action until the last minute. One car closed for $10,000 and another still open for 2 minutes at $12,000.

I guess it must be like eBay--no action until the last minute. One car closed for $10,000 and another still open for 2 minutes at $12,000.

It closed at $13k. That has to be a Hollywood studio bidding on that. They can outbid anyone. If they can wreck Ferrari's, money is no object.

And don't forget the 18 percent charge on all winning bids. :P I wonder if we'll ever find out who won the bid for the railcars? Can that be disclosed or per the rules of the auction the purchaser has certain rights to their privacy? Looks like us roster guys will have our work cut out for us!! :lol:

So what happens after someone wins? How do they take possesion?

And don't forget the 18 percent charge on all winning bids. :P I wonder if we'll ever find out who won the bid for the railcars? Can that be disclosed or per the rules of the auction the purchaser has certain rights to their privacy? Looks like us roster guys will have our work cut out for us!! :lol:

It finally dawned on me to check the Terms and Conditions tab. As those note, the items are sold as is where is, and the rail ones are at Skokie Shops. Rail car removal is by appointment only.

"All movers or anyone picking up items on a buyer's behalf must

present the e-mail invoice and a valid photo ID before purchased items

will be released. All items must be physically removed from the removal

locations during the scheduled times. Buyers must sign a receipt upon

removal of their purchased items at the removal site as proof of

receipt. All cost, responsibility and risk of such removal shall be

borne by the purchaser. The purchaser shall use prudence in effecting

such removal."

In short, someone has to come up with the bid amount, 18% commission, and 9% sales tax, and present that on appointment at Skokie Shops. At that point, I assume that normal CTA processes of telling the bidder to put it on a flatbed truck apply. Similarly, whatever process CTA uses to tell Graham Garfield that it sold the cars would seem to apply, as the bidder has to deal with CTA to get the items released.

Google bought one car for their new Chicago offices.

Hey guys. This may sound weird, but I was riding the Blue Line yesterday and around Racine, and saw a 8 car consisting of 2233-2234 (I think those were the car numbers) and the rest of the cars were 2600s. I know for sure the cars that 8 car consisted of a pair of 2200s and the other 6 were 2600s. Could there be a reason for this?

• Upvote 3

Hey guys. This may sound weird, but I was riding the Blue Line yesterday and around Racine, and saw a 8 car consisting of 2233-2234 (I think those were the car numbers) and the rest of the cars were 2600s. I know for sure the cars that 8 car consisted of a pair of 2200s and the other 6 were 2600s. Could there be a reason for this?

you're right(i was on that train that morning i should've looked for you lol) but the car order happened by accident. thats what i got from the operator. somebody wasn't informed at Rosemont Yard well enough that the cars were out of Revenue Service. Well at least 2223-24 got one more trip in lol

and Rosemont is known at times to just couple anything thats in the yard. I seen some Bo cars come in to the shop and then run on the line before they get fixed. (ps weren't they the ones that turned the vents on the 2600's backwards or was that Forest Park ?)

you're right(i was on that train that morning i should've looked for you lol) but the car order happened by accident. thats what i got from the operator. somebody wasn't informed at Rosemont Yard well enough that the cars were out of Revenue Service. Well at least 2223-24 got one more trip in lol

and Rosemont is known at times to just couple anything thats in the yard. I seen some Bo cars come in to the shop and then run on the line before they get fixed. (ps weren't they the ones that turned the vents on the 2600's backwards or was that Forest Park ?)

Probably the bigger question is how did that get back to Rosemont yard from Skokie shops? Is someone interested in it? I'm surprised of this!!

I think your right. I saw this train when it was heading to O'Hare. Atleast 2200s got 1 more ride in before they are completely gone! ^_^ This is certainly interesting. By the way, bushunter, I agree because I wonder how they could've came to Rosemont Yard from Skokie Shops. UGH I WISH I HAD MY CAMERA!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: