2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

I noted that he had that before the auction, but didn't say Belson.

No, but he changed it to say those cars were up for auction for 5 days. Now he's saying they were scrapped mid nov. That makes it sound like the purchaser scrapped them when we know for a fact the auction ended mid dec. That must be an error or he don't know where the cars went either.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a couple of other people on this forum said they saw the 4 car train of 2 2200s and 2 2600s including me. I actually have seen this train a few weeks ago.

Where? joechicago is right. The local tv news has a knack for using stock footage of equipment whenever they do a story on the CTA. Heck, Channel 9 still uses a clip showing MAN Americanas rolling down the Inner Drive, and we all know those buses haven't existed in revenue service since 2004, almost a decade ago considering the official date one last served a CTA bus route.

Spotted 2273-74 laying in the 61st Street Yard. Why are they over there though?

They were in use as a locker room while the Red Line South project was in use and Green Line trains were kept at 61st.

eyetube21, on 22 Apr 2013 - 19:23, said:snapback.png

Today

I ride the Green Line pass by 61st Street rail yard, I've seen 2200s

car # 2273-74 sitting there. Inside those cars, all the seats are gone.

They have tables inside and steps both in front and on the side of the

cars.

As noted on chicago-l.org, those two cars have been converted to a

locker room and switchman's room for the temporary reactivation of 61st

Yard as a revenue storage facility during the five-month shutdown of the

Dan Ryan leg of the Red Line. Other retired 2200-series railcars may

also be converted to trainmen/motormen's rooms (where motormen receive

their run number assignments). That saves the CTA construction costs for

facilities that are to be used for no more than a few months.

This morning I spotted a six car 2400 series train in Harlem Yard. Not too far behind it was a six car 2200 consist. I couldn't get close enough to see the car numbers, but all of the signage was a red A train. Again couldn't get close enough to see if it was Congress/Milwaukee, O'Hare/Congress, Lake/Dan Ryan. My guess would be the former, possibly the cars from the special 2200s run.

This morning I spotted a six car 2400 series train in Harlem Yard. Not too far behind it was a six car 2200 consist. I couldn't get close enough to see the car numbers, but all of the signage was a red A train. Again couldn't get close enough to see if it was Congress/Milwaukee, O'Hare/Congress, Lake/Dan Ryan. My guess would be the former, possibly the cars from the special 2200s run.

Undoubtedly, since those had replica signs, and there would not have been an operational reason to have A signs since about 1996.

Undoubtedly, since those had replica signs, and there would not have been an operational reason to have A signs since about 1996.

Which is why I said "My guess would be the former, possibly the cars from the special 2200s run."

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like a 2200-Series railcar is going to Ohio, bought by a Jungle Jim's Grocery Store Owner who might use it to house a smoke shop.

Story

Jungle Jim's is an international market, but not in the sense of the ones around here. It is like a several acre county fair. Based on memory, but here is a link.

• 3 months later...