2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Quick question though, earlier tonight at about 6:35pm at Jefferson Park(and probably timed to run at the end of pm rush), I saw an out of service 4 car train(with 2229-2230 in the lead, I forget if the operator was driving the train in 2229 or 2230) going southbound, with 2 2600s(don't remember their numbers) trailing. Anyone have an idea why those cars were possibly being moved like that? I wonder why such a move was being done, at that time. Hopefully, it wasn't to move 2229-30 to Skokie Shops for scrapping, or whatever CTA facility the scrapyard trucks are picking up the scrapped 2200s from.

#2229-30 is still around. I saw it in service the other day. (since you posted this)

When Dan Ryan opened, several trains of 6600's had Lake/Dan Ryan signs spliced in and were sent to Harlem for use "if needed". Apparently none actually were used. Kennedy was actually delayed in opening because of lack of cars. Was supposed to opan about 12/69.

Those must be official roster dates, but based on that, darn few were available upon the opening of the Dan Ryan on September 28, 1969. I seem to remember that the Lake-Dan Ryan had a full fleet when it started, but mostly 2000s. However, I needed to refresh my recollection by going to CERA 115, page 115, which said that 54 2200s were on the Lake-Dan Ryan. If this list is correct, that indicates that it was running short into January.

In that the Jefferson Park extension opened on Feb. 1, 1970, it must have been short, too. However, CERA indicates that the reason it got 96 cars was that 40 2000s were shifted from the WNW to LDR. Apparently some got shifted back 2 years later.

Having ridden the LDR starting about 1970, I have to concur with Gene King.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I know the 2200s are ready for retirement but Im so upset at the fact that CTA sent its oldest 2600 series cars to the Blue line to replace its previous old cars. The Blue line serves an international airport greeting people from all over the world,downtown and many neighborhoods on the northwest and west sides of Chicago. People visiting Chicago and choose to use our system should be greeted with newer equipment such as the 3200s not the low 2600s! What is CTA management thinking? I pass Rosemont shops and all I see are few 2200s, 2900s,3000s and lots of low 2600s! Sorry but the low 2600s werent the cleanest L cars in the system. I can remember many times riding the Red Line almost everytime I stepped on board the entire car smelled like urine or a homeless person. Its just a shame!

I can remember many times riding the Red Line almost everytime I stepped on board the entire car smelled like urine or a homeless person. Its just a shame!

You can put 2600's, 3200's or even 5000's on the Blue and Red Lines, and they'll all end up smelling of urine, fecal matter and vomit. Main reason being both these lines run 24/7, allowing the homeless uninterrupted reign on these cars during the low-ridership hours which are most likely 10p-5a. Do the homeless travel to the other lines? Sure, but with the other lines ending by 2a at the latest, they go to the Blue and Red Lines for shelter and a place to sleep. When the Red Line gets more 5000's in the next year or two, you'll see how filthy these new cars get because of the homeless relieving themselves during the off-peak hours. And I'm not bashing the homeless, but CTA5750 does bring up a valid point. If the overnight service cars aren't power-washed and the homeless just looking for a place to crash aren't herded off the train, you can put the cleanest, newest cars on the line, and in a few months, they'll be just as dirty as the old stock was.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Hello, I hope someone can help?

Does anyone have the Acceptance or in Service dates for the 6000 series RT-Cars.

I can't find. Please post if you have these dates!.

Thanks J.

Anywhere between 1950 and 1959. Central Electric Railfans Assoc. #115, page 10. It has a picture of the first ones on display August 1950.

I know that it was 1950-1959, but there is NO DATES anywhere.

Thats not what I meant, U have all dates as to delivery or acceptance dates on the 2000, 2200's and 2400's, But I Found NONE on 6000's.

I don't have this book btw. Also thanks so much for your reply and time Busjack :-)

They should have that book at the Park Ridge public library, if you need it for reference. You can make an estimate of when the cars arrived based on those rosters. It's not exact dates of arrival, but it narrows it down a bit and gives you the route assignments. You can check it out but I think you need to be a resident.

Ok thanks.

The reason I ask is everyone on these chat groups look at the STL.CO Order Number and assume that was the delivery date, But most of these date could be wrong??. The CTA goes by Acceptance dates!., NOT by delivery dates.

I can't find ANY dates on 6000's out there at all. I was told of some date of cars Preserved at museums, but can't prove it.

Again many thanks for your help.

J.

Ok thanks.

The reason I ask is everyone on these chat groups look at the STL.CO Order Number and assume that was the delivery date, But most of these date could be wrong??. The CTA goes by Acceptance dates!., NOT by delivery dates.

I can't find ANY dates on 6000's out there at all. I was told of some date of cars Preserved at museums, but can't prove it.

Again many thanks for your help.

J.

Unless someone decided in the 1950s to keep the kind of delivery lists bus fans posted on the Internet in the 1990s, that information isn't going to be publicly available. You are also talking about 720 cars (770 if you are adding in the 1-50 series), each hauled off a flat car one at a time.

Either you can search the various museums to see if they have a delivery list, or submit a FOIA to CTA, for which you will probably have to pay the search costs.

In fact, you probably can't get the in service dates for the current 5000s (unless CTA admits you to the secret cult of the roster).

OK

But there is info out there on 2000, 2200, and 2400's but not 6000's.

Seems every series of cars but 6000's. oh well I hope I can find.

I do want to thank you for your time and help.

BTW I am aware they came via Flatcars, I have some photos of some cars on flats.

J.

OK

But there is info out there on 2000, 2200, and 2400's but not 6000's.

Seems every series of cars but 6000's. oh well I hope I can find.

I do want to thank you for your time and help.

BTW I am aware they came via Flatcars, I have some photos of some cars on flats.

J.

My point was that you can't assume that people on Internet boards have 54-63 year old data, which probably was never entered into a computer.

The info on the 2000s and up probably was in a computer at one time, although cf. my comment about the secret cult.

My point was that you can't assume that people on Internet boards have 54-63 year old data, which probably was never entered into a computer.

The info on the 2000s and up probably was in a computer at one time, although cf. my comment about the secret cult.

Exactly, you can thank the information superhighway (internet) for alot of this information. 54 years ago we didn't have that. Now we are alot better informed. All it takes is someone willing to share the information and you have it. I have lists that i wish I had like the bicentennial bus list, but unless I can find someone to help me out I'm stuck with a partial list. As the info gets older it gets harder to find. Good luck in your search.

The #2200's are now down to 54 left, and it shows on the Blue line. It's starting to get harder to find these cars in service. I'm just noticing them in service now in the weekday rush only. I'll see if I can update the roster this week. (Just last Dec there were 84 cars according to the roster for the 16th.) I spotted a few cars in service today: #2255-56, #2303-04, #2309-10, #2345-46. So I guess that is your teaser. :lol:

The #2200's are now down to 54 left, and it shows on the Blue line. It's starting to get harder to find these cars in service. I'm just noticing them in service now in the weekday rush only. I'll see if I can update the roster this week. (Just last Dec there were 84 cars according to the roster for the 16th.) I spotted a few cars in service today: #2255-56, #2303-04, #2309-10, #2345-46. So I guess that is your teaser. :lol:

Ok I updated the list; there's new #2600 cars on the Blue line from the Red line as well as the 54 #2200's that are now left.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was riding the Blue line to Forest Park terminal yesterday. I noticed at the rail yard, there is no 2200-Series there. They were all 2600-Series sitting there. I guess this is the end of the 2200s.

There's plenty of rail cars up at Rosemont, but some of them are stored there.