2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Has anyone ID'ed the cars IRM is getting. I know they are signed for and paid for.

The units IRM are getting is 2243-2244. They were bought by IRM on June 7, 2013 and are currently sitting at Skokie Shops since June 14, 2013 awaiting IRM to pick them up and transport them.

Too bad...I thought for sure it would be 2221-2222.

That unit still sits awaiting scrapping. I don't know how they chose 2243-2244. My guess is they looked through all the stored units looking for the ones in the best possible condition mechanically and interior-wise and chose this pair based on that alone.

Any idea of ballpark figure IRM pays for decomissioned cars like these or any in the past?

I can't speak for past purchases from CTA to IRM, but I got the figure $10,000 in my head. I think, but this might be some random number in my head, that it is costing IRM $10,000($5,000/car) to buy these units* from the CTA.

*= This cost includes pickup and transport of the railcars to IRM from their storage place.

Any idea of ballpark figure IRM pays for decomissioned cars like these or any in the past?

Remember these are stainless steel and therefor more valuable as scrap than say a 2000.

They won't arrive at IRM until mid July.

BTW the value of stainless as scrap as kept the acquisition of an ex Q gallery car out of reach.

So at 20 per month, Bombardier, can have enough on hand so that by the end of the month, the 2200s will be history. Word circulating around CTA is that "the end" will come about this way.......the yard managers at Rosemont and Forest Park will have enough 2600s on hand to meet all weekday-rush hour requirements and no 2200 will go out in service. That will be repeated for days/weeks. When enough spare 2600s are on hand, the 2200s will be rounded up and as soon as operations approves, drag crews will be authorized to head 'em all to Skokie and that will be it. No fanfare, no nothing. (Yes, that's a double negative)

There was no fanfare when the 2000s went. There was no fanfare when the 2200s no longer were used on weekends. And no...there won't be any yellow painting of 2200s or even 2400s into work equipment like in days of old or NYCTA today.

That's because none of the 2200's have 600V jumpers for work train service like 2401-2422, 2891-2900 and 3441-3444 have.

I look for 2401-2422 to possibly remain around for awhile longer as work cars even after the 2400's are retired in the next few years, then eventually 2891-2900 will fully retire them, then even further in the future 3441-3444 will retire them. I look for a couple of pairs of 5000's to get 600V jumpers to be work trains in the future following retirements of the 2600-Series work capable trains and 3200-Series work capable trains.

"Keep Hope Alive" is a popular protest cheer......well despite what I said about the 90 percent possibility of how it will end, THERE IS A CONCERTED EFFORT going on behind the scenes at 567 for one final trip, running as a revenue train, the 2200s would be on the head and rear end. That might be a worthwhile change if we couldn't have a full eight car consist. Maybe run it with a conductor so the front end could be opened up.

Will this "one final trip" be before or after the next 15 fantrips using 2200s?
  • Upvote 2

It's good to hear they are discussing this. This is a pretty historical moment coming up. These are the last blinker door "L" cars we will ever see in Chicago and maybe the world. I don't see what the big deal is running a full 8 car set. It's just one train. If they are worried about the ADA, how did they get away with running the PCC final revenue train? They could always label it as a charter versus a revenue train (maybe we need a kickstarter LOL) which should give them the right to run any equipment.

I remember when the last PCC revenue was ran there really wasn't that much publicity, only a sign at the mart saying "ride a train from the 50's" with a PCC car graphic on it. Talking with the fans onboard I seemed to be the only one who knew about the sign, but maybe since we're in the internet age this will have more publicity. That was a nice day, hopefully they can do this.

I thought this was in all the stations and in the advertising strip in all cars.

Last6000.jpg

The local news media all carried stories on TV news too.

ADA is a definite concern. When the last 6000s run was made, those cars had no alternative. They only operated with other PCCs which all had blinker doors. So the last run was exclusvely, all blinker doors. But this is 2013, and the playing field is different. Although a case could be made for an all 2200 train, an opposite case could also be made. And some of the ADA people are quite vocal and quite "well-connected."

Just stick one pair of 2600s in the middle to satisfy the ADA requirement

I thought this was in all the stations and in the advertising strip in all cars.

Last6000.jpg

The local news media all carried stories on TV news too.

ADA is a definite concern. When the last 6000s run was made, those cars had no alternative. They only operated with other PCCs which all had blinker doors. So the last run was exclusvely, all blinker doors. But this is 2013, and the playing field is different. Although a case could be made for an all 2200 train, an opposite case could also be made. And some of the ADA people are quite vocal and quite "well-connected."

I was talking about the last #5-50 trip, which was the last PCC cars, not the #6000's. This happened around August 30, 1998, IIRC. If they do have to run accessible cars, they should run #2400's with the #2200's. Maybe they could run those again, when the #2400's are about all retired. I'm sure they will keep a couple #2200's around for awhile after they are all retired anyway. (We know #2273-74 is not going anywhere until late Oct early Nov)

No the #5-50 trip was a CTA event. (Like I said there were signs at the Merchandise Mart station, but that was the only place) I know about the snow flake charters you're talking about. This was around the same time. (6 months previous) There were representatives from headquarters there, some supervisors and managers of the blue line and some really hardcore fans. Trains made all stops on all blue line branches. The only time the service ran as a express was when it was laying up at Skokie, but the public was invited free of charge on the express portion as far as Howard. You were there, you should know. I think you even made a video about that event, which you billed as the last #5-50 train in service.

I hope 2200s are running on the Blue when I'm in town July 11.

They'll be here. Total retirement has been delayed by a month (or two) due to the latest Bombard delay. But they only run during weekday rush hours mostly, when they have 8 car trains.

They'll be here. Total retirement has been delayed by a month (or two) due to the latest Bombard delay. But they only run during weekday rush hours mostly, when they have 8 car trains.

Why the Bombardier delay now? Because they're going with blue interiors supposedly, or is there another in a seemingly endless stream of issues with these cars?

Hopefully I'll see them on this coming weekend when "The Taste Of Chicago" is here since they probably will run 8-cars only for that Event.

I would say likely as CTA has run 8 cars on the Blue in the past for Taste of Chicago. Also, there more runs on the UIC to O'Hare segment on weekends. (Corrected)

Why the Bombardier delay now? Because they're going with blue interiors supposedly, or is there another in a seemingly endless stream of issues with these cars?

I was referring to the delay between April and June. Nothing's going on right now, Skokie Shops has 4 cars waiting to go into service. (probably next weekend) Bombardier seems to be sticking to the schedule of delivering 4-6 cars a week. (They said 20 cars a month) So if they stick to that and we have no delays, the Red line should have all it's #5000's by the end of next year.

I was referring to the delay between April and June. Nothing's going on right now, Skokie Shops has 4 cars waiting to go into service. (probably next weekend) Bombardier seems to be sticking to the schedule of delivering 4-6 cars a week. (They said 20 cars a month) So if they stick to that and we have no delays, the Red line should have all it's #5000's by the end of next year.

Ok, I see. Well, let's hope that is it for the issues...

*knocks on wood*

They have 8 car trains all day during the week, sometimes starting as early as 4am. Most of the 2200s are in the yard and very few are left running at all.