2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Also, I don't think IRM will be plowing snow or clearing the third rail with it. ;)

It might also be CTA property, I don't know if the #5000's come with cowcatchers attached, probably not. All the cowcatchers are new on the #5000's so they may just come seperately or like buslist says they couldn't get it on the truck.

The rumors were true, as reported elsewhere the other 2 arrivals were 2000 series hulks, presumeably for parts. Don't know the #s.

Where could they have come from? The 2000's were retired after the Green Line was shut down for it's rebuild in 1994. It's been almost twenty years and there was no mention of 2000's sitting at any rail yards. The only 2000's I personally know that are still sitting around on CTA property are 2007-2008, which have been painted and renumbered to 1892-1992.

Not doubting what you are reporting, buslist. I just don't know where these hulks could've been sitting.

The rumors were true, as reported elsewhere the other 2 arrivals were 2000 series hulks, presumeably for parts. Don't know the #s.

Do you think there's a chance that they want to switch out the #2243-44 seats to the vinyl type? I'm pretty sure the #2000's had those type seats. That would be really cool. I don't know if the original interior was covered up in the '91 rehab of the #2200's or not. But that type interior may still exist as well if there is any cars that exist at Skokie Shops from accidents before the rehab. CTA would probably let those go for parts as well. (checking my list those were all scrapped in '86, so I guess not)

So are 1892 and 1992(ex 2007-2008) just going to be donor cars for parts for 2153-2154, or will IRM be restoring these units as well to their mint green and alpine white livery with original unit numbers from 1964? These cars might actually be in better mechanical condition than 2153-2154, as I think the CTA kept them in good condition aside from putting some tables inside them like reported.

So are 1892 and 1992(ex 2007-2008) just going to be donor cars for parts for 2153-2154, or will IRM be restoring these units as well to their mint green and alpine white livery with original unit numbers from 1964? These cars might actually be in better mechanical condition than 2153-2154, as I think the CTA kept them in good condition aside from putting some tables inside them like reported.

Some parts might be, but sitting around as statuary doesn't seem to have helped the exterior.

It seems like CTA doesn't have infinite money for statuary in front of Skokie shops, nor IRM to restore everything. There are still plenty of wooden cars in the barns that probably are of more interest.

Do you think there's a chance that they want to switch out the #2243-44 seats to the vinyl type? I'm pretty sure the #2000's had those type seats.....

They were originally blue vinyl, but later dyed black to match the 2200s, but not well.

I've been told they are pretty striped mechanically (like no motors).

Definitely saw a set of 2200s on an 8 car consist at 8:15pm Westbound in the Kennedy median Friday night just West of Jefferson Park(about Central). I was driving Eastbound at the time so could not get car numbers.

Since only 2600s are used on 4 car consists, especially weekends, did anyone notice if the Blue line was running 8 car consists yesterday(Saturday) and today(Sunday)?

Definitely saw a set of 2200s on an 8 car consist at 8:15pm Westbound in the Kennedy median Friday night just West of Jefferson Park(about Central). I was driving Eastbound at the time so could not get car numbers.

Since only 2600s are used on 4 car consists, especially weekends, did anyone notice if the Blue line was running 8 car consists yesterday(Saturday) and today(Sunday)?

The Blue Line running 8 cars of 2600s today. I haven't seen 2200s in service heading to UIC-Halsted or Forest Park terminal. All of the 2600s were in service on Sunday.

The Blue Line running 8 cars of 2600s today. I haven't seen 2200s in service heading to UIC-Halsted or Forest Park terminal. All of the 2600s were in service on Sunday.

I'm surprised after seeing a wave of 4-car sets all day Saturday, they wised up and got the 8-car trainsets ready Sunday.

Do you think there's a chance that they want to switch out the #2243-44 seats to the vinyl type? I'm pretty sure the #2000's had those type seats. That would be really cool. I don't know if the original interior was covered up in the '91 rehab of the #2200's or not. But that type interior may still exist as well if there is any cars that exist at Skokie Shops from accidents before the rehab. CTA would probably let those go for parts as well. (checking my list those were all scrapped in '86, so I guess not)

The original interior was replaced. The vinyl seats were benchlike as opposed to the bucket type whatever we have now.

The original interior was replaced. The vinyl seats were benchlike as opposed to the bucket type whatever we have now.

Is this when the interior wood paneling was added? Seems unlikely to me that these beautiful utilitarian machines designed by SOM would have something so ugly inside.

I was under the impression that the old interior was covered over, much like when someone sides a house with tarpaper siding from the 60's (I guess that's what it's called) to the plastic type siding that's more current today. As far as the seats, I'm pretty sure those seats are similar to the pre '91 #2200 ones, except Busjack did mention the #2200's seats were vinyl blue which I don't remember. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I remember black. I'm pretty sure I put up somewhere a sales demonstration of the #2200's when they were new. (kind of comical complete with a sales model like on the Price is Right) I'll see If i can repost those pictures or find the post because the seats were black in that. B)

Is this when the interior wood paneling was added? Seems unlikely to me that these beautiful utilitarian machines designed by SOM would have something so ugly inside.

Probably. My recollection, which probably is bad, is that the paneling was originally gray, but I really didn't note before or after.

The faux wood paneling and plastic shell seat design were results of the 1972 bus procurement, first appearing on rapid transit cars with the 2400s.