2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

The roll signs are the original ones for the West Northwest route, and reflect AB service when Congress was A and Douglas was B.

There isn't enough of a closeup on the door. However, what it might be is that the Lake-Dan Ryan 2000s and 2200s had bar codes to sort the trains at Tower 12 automatically. Instead of Identra, there must have been some sort of reader at Wabash-Adams to trigger the switch to send them south instead of onto Van Buren. Krambles's book mentions that at page 72, and that the bar codes were superseded by transponders similar to Identra (which are part of the 7000 specs).

I was looking for the fleet number to see if it was originally a Lake-Dan Ryan car and noted that it was taken off the door, which was the original configuration.

Makes sense, but I remember seeing those on the Blue line back in the day. It may have been on all the #2200's. (The car represented was #2327-28 and that most likely debuted on the west-northwest. All the assignment information is on the first post.) I think I remember those on the #2400's too.

Makes sense, but I remember seeing those on the Blue line back in the day. It may have been on all the #2200's. (The car represented was #2327-28 and that most likely debuted on the west-northwest. All the assignment information is on the first post.) I think I remember those on the #2400's too.

Which would raise the question whether there was some sort of automatic sorting at Paulina-Congress, or it was just the even-odd equal headway system used at 59th. Probably the latter, as I don't recall separate fleets on Congress and Douglas (as opposed to Dan Ryan being separate from Loop Shuttle and Evanston).

I also rode, downtown out to Forest Park and back, the CTA did a very nice job on this. Many employees, on and off duty, past and current were on the trains and appeared to be having a good time. Bruce Moffat was on retelling stories, and with his old transfer card punch, punched my CTA hand-out!

(Does Bruce follow these forums?)

It was a pretty respectable turnout given the short notice. The headcount was about 75 at Rosemont for the first trip. The train was pretty packed by the time we left Forest Pk, I'd say about 200-300. The internet helps to get the word out. Graham from Chicago-l.org, was the conductor, I believe. I got his picture. The conductor from the #5-50's trip got on, but was out of uniform. I just realized with this trip all the conductors uniforms are for the period projected. The #5-50's conductor one was dark blue. (i got that picture somewhere as well) It was nice seeing the Chicagobus.org members there as well. I counted at least 5 that I knew. It was different than the #5-50's trip, which resembled a charter. The riding public was not allowed in the yard areas at all. There were no bulletins passed out to the public, instead there were programs depicting the #2200's. The ad racks were nice. There was a reporter onboard the first car from WBBM radio with a microphone. I think he was interviewing Roy Benedict. (got that picture) There were no roll signs, like I mentioned before, but I saw the reason for this when we got to O'Hare. Overall it was a nice trip, hopefully we'll have one next year for the #2400's.

I had a great time on the final ride today, it was some of the most fun I've had in Chicago since moving here less than a year ago. I met at least one other chicagobus.org forum member, but I'm sure several others as well.

Here are a few photos I took from the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/influxed/sets/72157634991366836/with/9466263055/

• Upvote 1

I had a great time on the final ride today, it was some of the most fun I've had in Chicago since moving here less than a year ago. I met at least one other chicagobus.org forum member, but I'm sure several others as well.

Here are a few photos I took from the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/influxed/sets/72157634991366836/with/9466263055/

The pictures are excellent.

I agree that the CTA is not a rolling museum, but a transit system. But look at the past... 4000's, 1-50's, 6000's, 2000's and now 2200's are going to a museum for representation. There must've been something unique with all those series for the museums to buy cars.

Attractiveness to museums when equipment is retired is not a consideration when CTA decides to buy or refurbish equipment.

The thing that will make the 3200's unique and maybe when that time comes for a museum like IRM to buy a pair would be, IMO, the Mylars.

I think you need to check up on the definition of unique. The 3200s having the same kind of destination signs as every other CTA railcar up until 2009 probably doesn't meet the criteria for being unique.

Seems strange CTA is going with all these AC cars.

Not really. Seems quite obvious, actually, when you consider that nobody in the world builds DC cars anymore. Remember, CTA wanted the 5000s to be DC initially (back when they were still tentatively called the 3500-series). The fact that they couldn't get any decent bids forced them to change the RFP, and that's why (to bring this back on topic) the 2200s' retirement ceremony was today and not five years ago.

Here are all the images I took while on the Chicago Transit Authority's _last run_ of the

2200-series rapid transit cars (Thursday, 8 August 2013).
There are 125 jpgs + 8 indices = 133 images ~ 61.5 MB
Here is what you will get. 24455d269531030]

f4a7a2269531032.jpg

c72e5c269531033.jpg

deaf54269531034.jpg

78cc6c269531035.jpg

806d2d269531036.jpg

c3e33e269531038.jpg

e10ab9269531039.jpg

The .rar file is here.
The DL Pass is 2200
The .rar file password is = "blinker_doors" {without the quotes}.
My photographs are all Creative Commons - Noncommercial - Allow Derivative Works - Share Alike.
Enjoy the images. Vote me up. !=)

post-444-0-30817600-1376009826_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-19332700-1376009840_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-88902400-1376009854_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-48417600-1376009870_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-68539000-1376009888_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-34764600-1376009900_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-76260400-1376009911_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-26652900-1376009922_thumb.jpg

Here are all the images I took while on the Chicago Transit Authority's _last run_ of the

2200-series rapid transit cars (Thursday, 8 August 2013).

There are 125 jpgs + 8 indices = 133 images ~ 61.5 MB

Would you, by chance, happen to be able to upload that to a website that is in English, or, at the very least, one that uses western/Latin characters for their alphabet?

I'll Sum This up in one phrase: For $2.25, We got a Freakin good deal. CTA, this was exactly what it was, an appreciation for 44 years of service. 2200-series, this was well deserved & an example of how the 2400-series should be sent off in the near future. Bravo CTA Bravo!!!!!

I think you need to check up on the definition of unique. The 3200s having the same kind of destination signs as every other CTA railcar up until 2009 probably doesn't meet the criteria for being unique.

I promise to make this the last OT for this thread for those fans of 2200's(any future I'll continue under a new thread). But this is what I'm talking about being unique, See Tea Eh...

2200's(Uniqueness: Last with Blinker Doors)

2400's(Uniqueness: First with Sliding Doors)

2600's(Uniqueness: ??? Not really sure... largest order perhaps, or first with full-width cabs for one-man ops.)

3200's(Uniqueness: Last with Mylar Curtains and D/C Traction Power)

5000's(Uniqueness: First with A/C Traction Power and Color LED Displays)

Maybe this will clarify what I mean about the Mylar Curtains and the 3200's.

I didn't know about this till very late last night! I work nights so I couldn't do the entire trip but rode from Cumberland to O'Hare. I took a few short videos and some pics but they're pretty large files. I could upload them to my site if there's interest. I am interested in all pics and video from today.

Does anyone know how fast the train was going through the Rosemont yard? That old thing was rolling!

Look at jcmorris' first clip and see the ad card for the CTA suggestion bus (just to the left of the door).

IIRC that was a Twin Coach which had a customized interior to receive rider input on the next set of CTA buses.

The 1000 series fishbowls supposedly reflected the responses received on the suggestion bus. BTW, the bus was at the

87th and Cottage Grove shopping center when I saw it.

Look at jcmorris' first clip and see the ad card for the CTA suggestion bus (just to the left of the door).

IIRC that was a Twin Coach which had a customized interior to receive rider input on the next set of CTA buses.

The 1000 series fishbowls supposedly reflected the responses received on the suggestion bus. BTW, the bus was at the

87th and Cottage Grove shopping center when I saw it.

That would indicate that there was a mixture of 1970s ads there, as such stuff as ride the RTA bus to Ravinia would have been after 1976. The Suggestion Bus obviously would have been around 1970 for the 1972 deliveries. The History page indicates that the 45 cent fare was anywhere between 1970 and 1976.

Since everything in the cars was retro as to the advertisement and route placards, were there any retro style anouncements made during the final run?

I don't know what they used to sound like, but they definitely had an old school sound with enthusiasm. You can hear one of them in the youtube clip I posted a little further up when we arrived at Logan Square. Graham (as the conductor) was walking around asking people for tickets, which was great.