2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Guest ctafan630

The one that comes to mind is at Clark & Lake. The stop used to be Lake Transfer. The announcement used to be: this is Lake Transfer. Change here for Ravenswood, Lake/Dan Ryan, Howard, Englewood,& Jackson Park Trains.

..... Graham (as the conductor) was walking around asking people for tickets, which was great.

He should have known that was not authentic. All the conductor did was stick his head out the window while operating the door control, and mumble in the microphone something incomprehensible, such as "mumble mumble jacksmumble transfer mumble Howard. " And, of course, since the conductors' positions were removed about 2000, can't do either. Maybe the conductor collected quarters when the agents were not in the stations.

The one that comes to mind is at Clark & Lake. The stop used to be Lake Transfer. The announcement used to be: this is Lake Transfer. Change here for Ravenswood, Lake/Dan Ryan, Howard, Englewood,& Jackson Park Trains.

The last 3 wouldn't be there, as the transfer point would be (if it were a WNW train) at Washington and Dearborn. You are correct about Lake Transfer. Of course, in the rush hour, also Evanston Express.

Ah, I see. The announcements were mostly the same as what's used today. Maybe to avoid confusing riders at the platforms. But there were a few announcements about a station not existing during the time the 2200s were built, and other small bits of history.
It was also really great to see CTA staff handing out flyers to riders and explaining the last run. Many were very excited to stumble on the special trip and started taking photos with their phones.
One other nice touch: they unlocked the back cab (but not driver compartment) so we could get a great view of the stations. It was a great vantage point to see the skyline as we approached Damen toward O'Hare.

He should have known that was not authentic. All the conductor did was stick his head out the window while operating the door control, and mumble in the microphone something incomprehensible, such as "mumble mumble fullermumble transfer mumble Ravenswood. " And, of course, since the conductors' positions were removed about 2000, can't do either.

It obviously wasn't meant to be authentic, he was just joking with riders who said they didn't have enough money. Just getting people to smile and have fun.

Maybe back to the topic and Graham, he has a disposition list of 2200s under the 2200 Roster. I suppose that BusHunter and he can sync up. Also, as far as 2013 dispositions, it indicates only Belson, including 2344, which rjl captured on the way in the direction toward Aurora.

In the Chicago Heights Processing gallery, you can see pictures of 2200s in the jaws to the demolition crane.

Maybe back to the topic and Graham, he has a disposition list of 2200s under the 2200 Roster. I suppose that BusHunter and he can sync up. Also, as far as 2013 dispositions, it indicates only Belson, including 2344, which rjl captured on the way in the direction toward Aurora.

In the Chicago Heights Processing gallery, you can see pictures of 2200s in the jaws to the demolition crane.

Yeah, he has the better contacts with the disposition of the cars from Skokie. (My weakness) But he has been using my information as far as what cars are going where in the system. (My strength.) So it's a healthy relationship. I know I'm running ahead on the rosters because I'm reflecting live changes and rosters don't come out every day. I'll update the first page. If someone wants to upload yesterday's flyer, I'm sure the people not attending yesterday's farewell will appreciate it, or I can do it.

Guest ctafan630

Thanks busjack for the correction. I did forget the Howard Englewood Jackson Park trains connected at Washington and Jackson.

He should have known that was not authentic. All the conductor did was stick his head out the window while operating the door control, and mumble in the microphone something incomprehensible, such as "mumble mumble jacksmumble transfer mumble Howard. " And, of course, since the conductors' positions were removed about 2000, can't do either. Maybe the conductor collected quarters when the agents were not in the stations.

The last 3 wouldn't be there, as the transfer point would be (if it were a WNW train) at Washington and Dearborn. You are correct about Lake Transfer. Of course, in the rush hour, also Evanston Express.

They referred to the UIC Stop as "University of Illinois, Circle Campus" and Forest Park as Des Plaines.

But yes, lots of regular passengers were very confused, so they would continually announce it was a regular, but special train, and would be making all normal Blue Line stops, and that everybody was invited to ride!

Here's the flyer's they passed out if you missed it.

You will note that the illustrations of the cars on the Dan Ryan Line have the bar codes on the doors.

Also, they explained why (IMO) they messed up the interiors in the 1990s.

They referred to the UIC Stop as "University of Illinois, Circle Campus" and Forest Park as Des Plaines.

But yes, lots of regular passengers were very confused, so they would continually announce it was a regular, but special train, and would be making all normal Blue Line stops, and that everybody was invited to ride!

Not sure about UIC, but referring to Forest Park as Des Plaines was historically correct, as that station was called Des Plaines (after Des Plaines Ave.) until the mid-90s, when train terminals were standardized when put on the roll signs, instead of the route description (A Congress Douglas, as reflected on the roll sign on the commemorative train). About that time, Dempster became Skokie, although later renamed Dempster-Skokie. The maps in the pictures also refer to Cicero-Berwyn, which was the name of 54th.

Addtional Notes:.....

P.S. I forgot to note that the IRM board member says the museum does have enough seats stockpiled to deconvert the seating in their 2200s.

P.S. No. 2....Thursday's "Good Bye Old Friends" was the last "in service-revenue ride".....That wasn't the "last" ride altogether though. Stay alert.

So wait... They are technically still in service? Where did you hear this?

• Upvote 2

Here are my pictures from yesterday's event. Since it was my first time on a "special" L ride, I was camera shy and only took few pictures. I was fortunate enough to have 2339 all to myself on the short-run trip. It was a shame I didn't get to meet any other fellow board members but hopefully in the near future I will. :)

post-270-0-19256100-1376101074_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-76454700-1376101111_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-55665300-1376101134_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-61730600-1376101179_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-32739400-1376101220_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-47676800-1376101257_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-29898100-1376101278_thumb.jpg

Addtional Notes:.....

P.S. I forgot to note that the IRM board member says the museum does have enough seats stockpiled to deconvert the seating in their 2200s.

P.S. No. 2....Thursday's "Good Bye Old Friends" was the last "in service-revenue ride".....That wasn't the "last" ride altogether though. Stay alert.

Not even for one car? How many seats are in #1892-#1992? They should be compatible with the #2200's.

Edit: My mistake, I read they didn't

At the salvage bid, IRM won the cars, but said then that they were only interested in the cars for spare parts....the CTA had changed too much to m ake them worth while for the museum to consider adding them to their collection.

But...changing stuff to make them one-off would make them unique, and museums love unique cars, right?